PDA

View Full Version : After 6 hours of no-life test...

ArKhas
09-29-2011, 09:07 AM
I bought the game last night,and i didnt sleep much...

Sorry for my bad english, by the way.

Even if the tutorial (lol) and the campaign sux, the multiplayer is a great success !

This game is definitely for players who like "management" more than "strategy". It is a bad example, but the game is closer of Anno's games serie than Age of Empires'.

FInally, i have to say that this game remind me a recent game : R.U.S.E !!! Indeed, you dont have to manage a lot of troups (but it doesnt mean you cant) to win, the victory condition is a good thing to my mine, it put the game one a different step that the the common RTS.

THere is only 1 big default atm in multi : Ranked games are not ranked yet... so even if i still didnt loose one game, i dont see points, ranks or whatever.

To conclude, this is a multiplayer game. The solo mod just sux in my opinion, but if you like multiplayer, management and G. R.R. Martin ,this game is for you !

eskimOWNED
09-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Nice Review. By The Way you're english isn't half bad, Cheers :D

AlexAstartes
09-29-2011, 10:15 AM
How's the AI in offline matches?

ArKhas
09-29-2011, 10:37 AM
At the moment, AI are strong because everyone are noobs ahah ! You will win versus normal after few hours of training, but the hard and expert are.... hard ! (but I dont play a lot vs AI, people are more fun).

I think AI is a good training camp, because in this game you need to think about a build order for your units and upgrades, because you really can't do all the things in one game. You have to choose one "path" among the thousands others. You can train on this "pathes" offline. There are a lot of possiblities ! Dont forget that a ressource in the game is time (for upgrades), so every second is important.

AlexAstartes
09-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Good to hear. I intend to play online, but I like the option to fight a competent AI sometimes too :D

Tinsel
09-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Thank you for the impressions! There isn't a ton of information available on this game yet, so I appreciate it.

Can you tell me two things?

1. Are the campaign/multiplayer maps the same size as the tutorial? The tutorial was so small it actually felt like a board game (from the youtube video I watched). I actually liked that aspect of it, so I'm hoping it stays true for the rest of the game as well.

2. How much army combat is there in the game? Again, the youtube videos seem to emphasize the political aspects of the game. Does that stay true throughout the game? Or does it eventually devolve into "my army is bigger/better than yours" like most RTS?

ArKhas
09-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey,

1- There are maps for 2, 4, 6, and 8 players with bigger size each time. But I would say there are not too big in general. There are different maps for each number of players (maybe 20-30 maps in total).

2- The "political aspect is very important". There are different ways to win a game, and the main is to earn 100 points of "Prestige". Creating soldiers is expensive and dont give you prestige point. So in the first half of the game (the peace time), its quite useless to create army. At least you have the halfof the game with a big political aspect.
Then, in the 2nd time, the war time, you have to create army indeed, but you really dont necessary need too much to win. You can win without attacking anyone with soldiers. If you prefer politics, you can create spies, ladies, assassins, diplomats...
100 prestige points is not a lot, a game lasts 30-40 minutes for 4 players, 20 mins or less for 1vs1.
So the video was right, you dont need a big army to win. Finally I would say that it depends of each game, if one of your opponent plays with all his gold in soldiers, you will have to build an army, but he will definitely loose. As I said, this game isnt a real RTS in my opinion, it is more a Management game,with a smaller part of RTS than management. We could say RPG too i guess with the micromanagement of your units :)
This game is just special !

Booke
09-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Know the difference between "Your" and "You're" before commenting on other's use of the english language. :mad:

The E in English should be capitalized.

Pot, meet kettle.

chipset35
09-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Sorry for my bad english, by the way.

After reading your post I can honestly tell you that both your English and Grammar is better than 65% of us Americans.

ArKhas
09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Well it's hard to believe that but thanks !
by the way I'am french so it's again more weird !

Tinsel
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info Arkhas. You definitely know your stuff.

Any possibility of a YouTube video of you playing a campaign game, skirmish, or multiplayer?

The videos out there right now are a bit rubbish, in my opinion.

chipset35
09-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Thats cool, I know a little friench, mostly military terms such as:
Cuirassier, Chausseur, Chausseur a Cheval, etc

ArKhas
09-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Any possibility of a YouTube video of you playing a campaign game, skirmish, or multiplayer?

No sorry I don't do this kind of video, and my little computer is already so hot when i play this game, i am affraid it will be hard to do such thing. But if you have questions about the game, i would be glad to answer.

and @chipset35 : I am sure you played age of empires III (and me too a loooooot) but "Chausseur, Chausseur a Cheval" means nthg in french, except "the guy who sell shoes,the guy who sell shoes on a horse" :)

ArKhas
09-30-2011, 06:01 AM
I am thinking about making a gameplay video, but I spent lot of time to find good stuff to record the video, and I can't find one really good. The only one that works nice is fraps, but it's not free... so if someone has an advice on wich software i should use i would be glad to hear it !

shindakun
09-30-2011, 08:06 AM
I am thinking about making a gameplay video, but I spent lot of time to find good stuff to record the video, and I can't find one really good. The only one that works nice is fraps, but it's not free... so if someone has an advice on wich software i should use i would be glad to hear it !

I live streamed a bit last night to twitch.tv, you can check it out here http://www.twitch.tv/25centplay/b/296307481 replay is a bit grainy but it'll give you an idea of what the game is like (forgot to note, game play starts around the 4min mark). Used xsplit to stream it you can also do local recordings in it so you might want to check it out for recording. Its free while its in beta grab it at xsplit.com. I'll probably continue my play through this afternoon sometime, give the chan a follow.

ArKhas
09-30-2011, 08:17 AM
thanks i am going to try this !

dolmong
09-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the review!

You just made me click the button to buy!

I bought it because:

1.) I want different RTS game

2.) I just finished the damn good TV Series 2 days ago, then found out the game was out!! WOOHOO !!! Talked about influence huh?

3.) I want Multiplayer game!!

One thing that concerns me is the population of the game. Is it easy to find people who plays online?

ArKhas
09-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Well, the game is out since only yesterday, so not so much people, but i just played a 6 players game and it was nice, weird game, but fun.

here is the game http://fr.justin.tv/lordarkhas/b/296337841.

dolmong
09-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Cool ....

I am downloading it now, I might ask you for some advice later :p

ArKhas
09-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Ok no problem !

Fleetlord
09-30-2011, 02:59 PM
thanks you have gave me a reason to give this game another try.

I bought it and felt pretty mad, it feels like I fell for buying one of those games made for a movie (that usually suck)

but now I realize what you are saying, that the game is more about diplomacy and management than strategy and combat

Dethstar
10-01-2011, 10:23 AM
The E in English should be capitalized.

Pot, meet kettle.

Agree. Just what a casual forum needs. Resident language trolls like that guy. Well spotted!.

dolmong
10-02-2011, 09:14 AM
I try to play the skirmish but is really hard.

The learning curve is so high !! :p

Any good suggestion about playing this game ?? before I join multiplayer???