PDA

View Full Version : Substantial SP?

Evecque
09-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I was wondering if there is a substantial SP element or if this is really a online only game like TF2?

Also, is there a really active MP community?

VoodooMike
09-29-2011, 09:59 PM
I was wondering if there is a substantial SP element or if this is really a online only game like TF2?
Single player is minimal. This is not because there aren't single player modes, but because the AI is terrible. If you don't know how to play Blood Bowl (the board game) then the AI will beat you, but only because you don't really understand the game and neither of the really bad tutorial systems will teach you how to play it within the game itself. Once you do understand how the game works, you will trash the AI on any difficulty level while using the weakest units of the weakest team.

Also, is there a really active MP community?
Moderately active, but you have to go looking for it. The basic official multiplayer leagues are terrible - people cheat and if you're winning a game they're likely to simply disconnect on you, invalidating the game after an hour of play. The only way to avoid that is to join private leagues (there exist privately run "open" leagues) that have people whom you can report cheating and disconnection to, and potentially get the offenders kicked out of the league.

If you decide you like that game, and can handle losing the 3d graphics, you're far better off with some of the free Blood Bowl version on the net with better implementations of the tabletop rules, the full range of teams (even LE doesn't implement all the teams from the board game) and a more active community that doesn't constantly worry that the company running the servers might decide they've squeezed the last $8 they can out of the game, and pull the plug.

Evecque
09-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Excellent answer, thank you.

Jadarok
09-30-2011, 09:03 AM
I've never been a classic Blood Bowl player, but it always looked interesting. However I've heard some bad reviews. Is the AI really that bad? I would like to get this game if the AI was entertaining, don't feel like trying to hunt for multiplayer options filled with players that will probably just roflstomp me.

Does this 80% off make it worth a buy for a non-blood bowl expert who is only interested in single player?

sambc1982
09-30-2011, 02:22 PM
My experiences of friendlier private leagues is that the experiences players will go out of their way to help newer players learn (while beating them, of course, but they'll point out what you could've done better). So, some stomp, but no rofl.

uberphreek
09-30-2011, 02:54 PM
I've never been a classic Blood Bowl player, but it always looked interesting. However I've heard some bad reviews. Is the AI really that bad? I would like to get this game if the AI was entertaining, don't feel like trying to hunt for multiplayer options filled with players that will probably just roflstomp me.

Does this 80% off make it worth a buy for a non-blood bowl expert who is only interested in single player?

I played the table top a years ago a few times, once I saw this hit $8 I bought it.

I tried it last night and it was fun (but really difficult).

Delinth
09-30-2011, 05:27 PM

Starting out the AI is hard. Very hard. But only because you most likely won't know the rules. Once you do know the rules the AI becomes very predictable.

Ironically the difficulty levels seem to be completely reversed. The Easy is actually Hard and Hard is Easy.

Why is this? On Easy the AI makes very risky moves all the time. But since it comes down to dice rolls, eventually one of their super risky moves will work, and you will pay for it. On Hard they play more conservative.

VoodooMike
09-30-2011, 11:37 PM
The AI is really that bad. When people say the AI is hard to begin with what they really mean is that learning the game is not intuitive, and takes time. It has nothing to do with the AI - the losses all stem from taking bad risks in a bad order and not knowing how to mount even a basic defense.

The second you understand the game (and they cleverly don't teach you a damned thing with either of their tutorial systems) you will rip the AI to shreds with every game.

It's hard to say. If the game is sufficiently cheap then even if you only get a couple of hours of play then it has paid for itself. However, the single player aspect of the game isn't worth much at all. The story mode is a complete hack - its just walls of text followed by loading a pre-made save game and giving you some obscure objective (like... catch three passes). Campaign and Championship games at least let you develop your own team, but you'll win easily, and despite beginning at a lower power level than even the first teams you'll face, you'll quickly outpace them, and they'll all start to look the same as they have a specific skill path set for each player type.

It's also disheartening to cause casualties and see them not stick - the AI doesn't suffer permanent casualties, while you do. If they kill your player he's dead for good... if you kill their player, you'll see him again next time you play that team, good as new!