PDA

View Full Version : Game won't even start

Asmoday
09-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Well, as a LoL player I thought I'd give Rise of Immortals a try but I can't even make it past the window that pops up when you click "play" on steam.

I click "Play" on steam and I get to the start-up window of RoI. Here I click on "Play" again, only to have the game seemingly start (a new window pops up) but then close again right away. And that's all that happens.

Not really an ideal start, I might say. Anybody else having the same issue? Is it a known problem (with a way to solve it maybe)?

Gofure
09-30-2011, 10:42 AM
I am having this exact same problem. Still can't figure out how to fix it though.

FrozenNova
09-30-2011, 11:39 AM
My problem is great - the game automatically minimizes every two seconds. It's as though it's trying to hide.

Berek
09-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having connectivity issues. It's possible a firewall, anti-virus scanner, or other program is interfering. Could you try shutting down as many background programs as possible and seeing if that will let you through?

Asmoday
09-30-2011, 02:55 PM
I did not know that a game crashing on start-up is now a connectivity issue. None of my other online games ever had that kind of "connectivity issue."

Nonetheless I have given it a try and closed everything else except steam and tried to start the game. The result is the same as before: It simply won't start.

What I haven't done, of course, is to shut down my firewall or my security software. Because that would be just stupid. I don't even use any overly obscure or rare security software and, as said, it's not interfering with any other online games in such a way that it causes the games to close and/or crash.

As much as I would have liked to give RoI a try, I have now deleted it from my computer and I very much doubt I'll ever look back to it.

If a new car you want to try does not start at all and the salesman is giving you the advice that it will start if you take out the seatbelts and disable the airbags, you will go somewhere else to look for a new car.
It's the same with games; in this particular case if I need to disable my security software just to be able to play the game, I can get the same kind of game somewhere else without those problems. Neither LoL or HoN have that kind of "connectivity issue" and I venture a guess DotA 2 will not have it either.

Good luck with the game; one less potential customer.

Dopef1sh
09-30-2011, 04:20 PM
I had the exact same problem. game windows appears (window mode) then disappears after 2 secs. I had a look at the installation directory and starting ClientLauncherR.exe showed the exacpt same behaviour (I assume steam starts that).

Starting RoIClientR.exe directly works, game starts fine.

Comparing the _Logfile.txt between the two starts: when launched from steam the logfile ends with:
"Steam API init failed for Steam build"

Even though I finally managed to start this. I'm not going to go through the trouble of keeping the game updated via steam, but not using steam to start it.

ostra
10-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Sadly... another here. I use steam and want to use steam... but it simply will not load through steam. I hope the game does well for all those that spent time and effort to make it... but no I am not changing the way my network is just for this one game when all the others work fine through my security settings. If we could get a port forward, I would be willing to try again. Until then... gl and I have plenty of other games to play.