PDA

View Full Version : Complete the game without taking damage questions

AfterstarX
10-03-2011, 08:44 AM
There are some achievements that say:
Complete the basement/cave/depths/game without taking damage.

My questions are:
1.Does losing spirit hearts count as damage taken or damage only counts when you actually lose normal hearts?

2.Does losing spirit hearts or normal hearts when you make a pact with the devil(As in exchange some life for some power) count towards as damage taken?

3.Does losing hearts to pill effects or abilities such as the kamikaze count as damage taken?

4.Does losing hearts by trading them in the blood-machine for coins count as damage done?

Aitkenj
10-03-2011, 08:50 AM
1. Yes

2. Not 100% sure but probably yes

3. Yes

4. Not 100% sure but probably yes

The thing about 2 is that you get the achievement for no damage for the floor your on after you kill the boss. So maby not but if so, it will effect the floor below.

Naity
10-03-2011, 08:56 AM
2. Yes it counts toward it. I had the case this morning where I just lost half a spirit heart during the whole basement but didn't got the achievement.

I have another question: This achievement appeared in my secret list. Does it mean that the no damage achievments count toward the 100% one or is this last one only based on the items.

j0e
10-03-2011, 09:54 AM
how the hell are people beating the game without taking damage? i can't even get to 5th floor...

Arapuer
10-03-2011, 10:11 AM
how the hell are people beating the game without taking damage? i can't even get to 5th floor...There's achievements for beating each "stage" without taking damage. ie: Basement, caves, etc..
I don't actually think anyone has done the entire game yet xD
I'd like to see if they did though.

Aitkenj
10-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I have another question: This achievement appeared in my secret list. Does it mean that the no damage achievments count toward the 100% one or is this last one only based on the items.

They will count towards golden god yes. But you will still have to do a full non damage run to get Mamas Boy which also counts towards golden god.

Naity
10-03-2011, 11:41 AM
They will count towards golden god yes. But you will still have to do a full non damage run to get Mamas Boy which also counts towards golden god.

:/

This is sick (imao). I did the basement one for fun but I dont rly like those "perect" achievments (mostly because Im not skilled enough for them). I appreciated in Super Meat Boy that they were here as extra reward for the most dedicated and skilled players, but independant with the fact of finishing 100% of the game. I still hope here this 100% is only related with the object collection...

radiohat
10-03-2011, 11:48 AM
4. No
At least according to the wiki.

anticitizen101
10-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Well there is one easy way of doing them without taking damage.

Reset the stats/collection and just go straight for the bosses :) Should be a cakewalk if you've endured at least 5 playthroughs.

AfterstarX
10-03-2011, 01:58 PM
4. No
At least according to the wiki.

Can you provide a link pls.

jokerman7
10-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Basement Boy - Complete the Basement without taking any damage ( Blood Donation Machines can still be used).

http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Unlocking_Achievements

ASecondOpinion
10-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Blood Donation Machine does NOT count against the achievement (That's to say, you can still unlock the achievement having used Blood Donation Machines).
I was the one who wrote that on the Wiki.

I was private streaming the game to a friend who was curious about whether to buy Isaac or not when I got Basement Boy. I was surprised to unlock it because I had used the blood donation machine on Basement 2. :)

tophat704
10-03-2011, 08:04 PM
I also need to add. Using the Shovel will not unlock this achievement. You have to beat the last boss of that set. I'm not sure if you can pass the 1st one. But I shoveled past the 1st and 2nd boss of caves and had no damage and didn't unlock it. Given that it unlocks after beating the 2nd boss then perhaps you only have to beat him but I haven't tested yet. Will try when I next get a chance.

ASecondOpinion
10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I also need to add. Using the Shovel will not unlock this achievement. You have to beat the last boss of that set. I'm not sure if you can pass the 1st one. But I shoveled past the 1st and 2nd boss of caves and had no damage and didn't unlock it. Given that it unlocks after beating the 2nd boss then perhaps you only have to beat him but I haven't tested yet. Will try when I next get a chance.

I believe you can use We Need to Go Deeper to skip the first boss, but you need to defeat the second.

Cheezcaek
10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I think anything that decreases hp caused by monsters, even if it's a soul heart being decreased, counts as taking damage. The only chapter I've managed to take no damage in so far is the basement, and that was by accident.

ttcfcl
10-04-2011, 03:53 PM
How far has anyone gotten? I got basement boy, but that is pretty easy once you get good at the game, and use someone fast like Cain, and just run for the bosses right away. I may have gotten past caves 1 without damage, can't remember.

joek00
10-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Someone got the mama's boy achievment by not getting hit in the womb, but still getting hit in the other floors. I was shocked to hear this. I tweeted Edmund to see if this is correct.

I just got basement boy with Judas. The pressure of low heath and high damage helped.

tophat704
10-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Wow that'd be so much easier if you could just not get hit in the womb. I gotta try that when I hit the wombs now.

And yeah I used to use Cain for his higher damage and faster speed and I also like the lucky foot, whatever it does, it gets you more items somehow obviously even if we don't know exactly. More items means buying more and more supplies which bombs if you get enough can help you kill things fast and avoid damage.

Judas is also a good choice for pure high damage but now I'm liking Issac since I got the d6 and I can keep trading for better items till I get something that'll really help me avoid damage.

I've only gotten the first 2. Last night I wasn't sure if I took a hit in the second room in depths. Kept going and took no more damage but no achievement. :( I really hate those blood squirting leapers. Impossible to dodge.

Jankanpo
10-04-2011, 08:06 PM
someone on gamefaqs got the no damage for the full game achievement 3 days ago lol

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6572/mamasboy.png

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/636662-the-binding-of-isaac/60481924

cokeman5
09-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I almost have platinum god but I can't for the life of me get these achievements, I did the womb one with no trouble, but the others seem much more difficult. Sometimes the rooms and enemies will generate in a way that there is no avoiding damage unless you can fly.

morbosfist
09-02-2012, 12:48 AM
I almost have platinum god but I can't for the life of me get these achievements, I did the womb one with no trouble, but the others seem much more difficult. Sometimes the rooms and enemies will generate in a way that there is no avoiding damage unless you can fly.Then the obvious answer comes up: get flight.

In any no-damage run, the key is not just avoiding damage, but limiting opportunities to get damage. The longer you play, the more likely you'll run into trouble. Find the boss as fast as possible. Use the Emperor card to skip the entire level. Use bombs to blow open doors rather than face tough rooms. Get flight and mercilessly abuse overpowered items (both Fetus powers, Brimstone). Luck will screw you sometimes, but most of the time it's doable.

The Basement and Caves are very easy, it's the Depths that are very frustrating. No damage runs in the first two will produce Devil Rooms for the overpowered stuff, which will make the Depths marginally easier. Get the Emperor and the Bible to take Mom down instantly.

cokeman5
09-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Then the obvious answer comes up: get flight.

In any no-damage run, the key is not just avoiding damage, but limiting opportunities to get damage. The longer you play, the more likely you'll run into trouble. Find the boss as fast as possible. Use the Emperor card to skip the entire level. Use bombs to blow open doors rather than face tough rooms. Get flight and mercilessly abuse overpowered items (both Fetus powers, Brimstone). Luck will screw you sometimes, but most of the time it's doable.

The Basement and Caves are very easy, it's the Depths that are very frustrating. No damage runs in the first two will produce Devil Rooms for the overpowered stuff, which will make the Depths marginally easier. Get the Emperor and the Bible to take Mom down instantly.

I know all this, I guess I'm just frustrated due to terrible luck. I feel like the game has some balance issues, why do I find the womb to be so much easier than the depths? And why must greed heads have so much damn health! I'd rather walk into a room and see a random mom's heart there than walk into a room and see 4 greed heads.

Also, a bit off topic, but how come it says I have the ???'s soul achievement when I haven't yet beat blue baby with blue baby?

morbosfist
09-02-2012, 04:01 PM
I know all this, I guess I'm just frustrated due to terrible luck. I feel like the game has some balance issues, why do I find the womb to be so much easier than the depths? And why must greed heads have so much damn health! I'd rather walk into a room and see a random mom's heart there than walk into a room and see 4 greed heads.The Womb has no pits, just rocks. It is easier on a no-damage run. The difficulty comes from the enemies doing more damage.

Also, a bit off topic, but how come it says I have the ???'s soul achievement when I haven't yet beat blue baby with blue baby?The achievements don't unlock for the right characters.