PDA

View Full Version : Are we too tolerant?

Larry1212
10-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Let's be honest, there are certain things out there that are weird or wrong that people do or take part in without being rebuked for it, where a third person is supposed to tolerate and ignore it regardless of how wrong it actually is. We see something wrong yet we're told to tolerate it. If someone likes something that is clearly unsuited for their age or unsuited for anyone in general we're told to tolerate it. We're not allowed comment on it or say that a specific like or action is weird even though it is and is, and should be, viewed as completely wrong.

Do you think we're too tolerant? Should we really be so passive about certain actions that go beyond the norm and the wrong but not as far as the extremes? Should we be punished and labeled because we rebuked someone for being weird or acting wrongly? Afterall, we learn from society what is acceptable and what is not by giving out when we do wrong and rewarding when we do right. It's a primal instinct, just as with all animals, that if we do something and do not get rebuked for it we will do it again. It's conditioning and intolerance is a way of conditioning us to make us function optimally and on a healthy level both physically and mentally.

Excygy
10-03-2011, 11:17 AM
we are too tolenrant on some things, but we are still mostly too closed mind/racist/antisemic/feminist/homophobe,etc etc...

so no we are not too tolerant in general.

bluz74
10-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I was going to say "tl;dr" but then, I realised that lately, all the posts seem to be getting longer so I decided just to read the entire thing. I don't think we are to tolerant. I think tolerance makes life easier and I wish more people learned tolerance.

Demon Wraith
10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Speaking so generally just makes you sound like a bigot. Giving specifics risks confirming it.

There's a lot that we're tolerant of. Largely because there's a lot that there's genuinely nothing wrong with, except for vague otherness and social divides. There's still lots of things we're intolerant of, so we can't pretend that we're tolerant of everything.

Lozer
10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Too each his/her own, dude.

Achillies
10-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Why do I get the feeling that you're hinting about Bronies?

real4xor
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM
meh depends.

If anything, considering how quickly people get stressed and jarateed off nowadays, we don`t seem to be tolerant enough. At least not for "modern society". Some people seem to need alot of medicines to get by daily life with a smile.

On the other hand, we`s too tolerant. someone gets ♥♥♥♥♥ in the middle of the street? people just look away and walk faster.

monkeedude1212
10-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Let's be honest, there are certain things out there that are weird or wrong that people do or take part in without being rebuked for it

Like what?

I can't think of a single thing that people do that doesn't get rebuked.

Heck, I've seen people get guff for doing normal things, like ketchup on eggs. (I'm not a fan personally).

Casus
10-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Speaking so generally just makes you sound like a bigot. Giving specifics risks confirming it.

There's a lot that we're tolerant of. Largely because there's a lot that there's genuinely nothing wrong with, except for vague otherness and social divides. There's still lots of things we're intolerant of, so we can't pretend that we're tolerant of everything.

I'm with Demon on this one.

The vagueness of your post could refer to you just seeing something as ucky, or not liking somebody's clothes.

"You dress funny, you must be *insert shallow vapid assertion here*" being looked down upon and rebuked by others isn't a sign of being too tolerant. It's a sign of being intolerant of intolerance.

If you're talking about something in the US, I would go a step further and remind you that it is a free country; that you're not the only one who gets to express their freedom, and just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's wrong.

marie pavie
10-03-2011, 11:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xg5Uup01g

Larry1212
10-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm with Demon on this one.

The vagueness of your post could refer to you just seeing something as ucky, or not liking somebody's clothes.

"You dress funny, you must be *insert shallow vapid assertion here*" being looked down upon and rebuked by others isn't a sign of being too tolerant. It's a sign of being intolerant of intolerance.

If you're talking about something in the US, I would go a step further and remind you that it is a free country; that you're not the only one who gets to express their freedom, and just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's wrong.

So a person can't simply ask for opinions without being slotted in as a bigot? I assure you my reasoning behind being so vague was to avoid any arguments that could arise. I could give an off-handed example of which I personally don't care about and still a huge argument would spark.

And no, this isn't about Bronies. It's about tolerance, whether we're too tolerant or not.

Pythagoras
10-03-2011, 11:47 AM
My policy is to tolerate everything that doesn't directly hurt anyone.

Everybody has different opinions, and none of them are more or less valid than anyone else's. Who says your perspective on what's normal is the only one that matters?

The way I see it, being intolerant serves no purpose other than to inflate your own ego, to make yourself feel superior to them. Why should you care what other people do? It's your life you should be focusing on.

etempco
10-03-2011, 11:54 AM
If by tolerant, you mean not caring about things people do/like that have no real impact on ourselves, then yes, perhaps... Don't see why people should care, really.

Pythagoras
10-03-2011, 11:55 AM
If by tolerant, you mean not caring about things people do/like that have no real impact on ourselves, then yes, perhaps... Don't see why people should care, really.

Exactly, why would it bother you if other people are doing something you don't approve of? Just live your own life, let other people live theirs.

skiddlywibble
10-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Tolerance is good. Complacency is not. People aren't tolerant enough, and minority groups who come into contact with them (furrys, bronies, take your pick) suffer for it. On the other hand, horrible stuff that happens is ignored because people can't be bothered to sort it out because it isn't close enough to home, and doesn't affect them.

marie pavie
10-03-2011, 12:01 PM
So a person can't simply ask for opinions without being slotted in as a bigot?
Lol, your op sounded like a lead in to me also. I think we could be more tolerant, but some people confuse their idiocy with tolerance. We have more harebrained people now than I ever thought possible.

mr. duck
10-03-2011, 12:01 PM
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. you can steer yourself, any direction you choose.

Unless someone is harming themselve or others, who am I to try to make them different?

Simonicus
10-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I think I may be lactose intolerant. Does that count?

SeanHraefn
10-03-2011, 12:02 PM
We are intolerant of the things we should not be, yet we are tolerant of many things that we should not be tolerant of.

As a society we still don't hold homosexuals as entirely equal, though we should.

Meanwhile, we tolerate the indoctrination of children into their parent's religious institutions.

Seems ♥♥♥ backwards to me.

Masterclown
10-03-2011, 12:03 PM
I can not tolerate this thread any more.

I think I may be lactose intolerant. Does that count?

Stop milking this thread...

Demon Wraith
10-03-2011, 12:04 PM
So a person can't simply ask for opinions without being slotted in as a bigot?

You weren't simply asking for opinions. Your OP tries to argue that we are too tolerant. The last sentence is a declarative, you'll note.

Don't pretend neutrality, I don't think anyone's falling for it.

Thrillho007
10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
You used to say 'live and let live'. You know you did. You know you did. You know you did. But if this ever-changing world in which we live in makes you give in and cry, say live and let die.

marie pavie
10-03-2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.portallos.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/bio_infinite.jpg

Pebr
10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
There's a difference between tolerance and powerlessness and i think most of us suffer from the latter.

There's a lot of things in the world that we tolerate only because if we didn't we'd probably be living in a forest and hunting squirrels to survive.

bluz74
10-03-2011, 12:22 PM
I think tolerance is hindered by the SUF "ignore" list.

Simonicus
10-03-2011, 12:27 PM
There is a difference, in my opinion, between being tolerent of something that is truly wrong regardless if you take an action against it and being tolerent of, as the OP put it - weird people in general for example. In that event "tolerance" sounds harsh, about people being different from the expected normalities should be more along the lines of "acceptance".

Tolerance of weird people is more subjective to the individual as to what makes someone a weirdo in their eyes. For example labelling someone as weird because they seem to be a loner, don't follow the regular crowd at college or because they suffer with tourettes and swear out loud quite often or dress a little different. Who cares about that stuff, everyone is unique right?
Although there is weird and then there is really truly weird.

But on the other hand tolerance of truly bad stuff...

If I was unfortunate enough to witness a murder, I would hope that I and most other people I know (cant speak for folk I don't know) would silently bugger off and report it to the police.

If I saw someone getting beaten up on the street? I don't know what I would do until I saw it. Many people say we don't get involved with that here in the UK and like cowards walk on by. Is that being too tolerant?
But it depends on so many variables and most people tend to put their own safety first. There could be weapons involved, for example.

Its one thing to break up a fight but people need to really be aware and use common sense in those situations.

Orko...
10-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I think we should be tolerant of some things like race, religion, political views, etc.

But we should not be tolerant of things that or clearly wrong either morally, ethically, or legally.

But that would be in a perfect world and this world is far from perfect.

Freeman45
10-03-2011, 12:47 PM
lol no, quite the opposite. Let me give you an example.

♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥

AngelinaCarmen
10-03-2011, 12:59 PM
It's conditioning and intolerance is a way of conditioning us to make us function optimally and on a healthy level both physically and mentally.

One of the purposes of educating people is so that they can overcome their conditioning and think for themselves. That is, what appeared to make them safe/healthy physically and mentally may have actually failed on both counts, but they were lied to by so many people that they began to think it was true. It's healthy to constantly question where our intolerance stems from and if it is justified.

Having said that, I can think of something that supports your claim:
but this is not because Islam is welcome in Europe. Far from it. Itís because people have been conditioned by the lie of multiculturalism to believe that what they SHOULD think is more important than what they DO think.

So, although people will criticise Islam in private, they know that to do so publicly, in other words to be honest about their feelings would instantly make them racists and Islamophobes and ♥♥♥♥♥ and disgusting imperialists, ethno-centric-fascist bastards grinding their jack boots into the faces of the innocent and the weak - so, best not make a fuss.

You want to beat your wife and mutilate your daughter? Be our guest. Weíll even subsidize it - because we want to be your friend. Whatís that? You want to destroy our corrupt society? Well thatís our fault. Not yours. Here, have some more money.

http://tamala-mind.blogspot.com/2008/06/appeasing-islam-pat-condell.html

I know we can't discuss it, but it's what came to mind as something to legitimately be concerned about when I read the OP. And just to keep this from triggering arguments with someone that has that belief system, yes, he is specifically referring to extremism. It's a good example of tolerating something that hurts other people.

We have to differentiate between when fear makes us act irrationally and when it is protecting us as it should. From there, we can decide if we should try to become more tolerant or not.

Gustave5436
10-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Tolerant of what? The OP sounds like it's arguing that tolerating the fact that other people like different stuff than you is bad. Like, if I hate call of duty, that means I should be judging people who like it as weird and trying to enact legislation to protect them from the weirdness of liking those games.

Sounds silly to me; it's not my place to judge what other people do. As long as it doesn't hurt me in any way, it's none of my business.

Zekiran
10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
I think we should be tolerant of some things like race, religion, political views, etc.

But we should not be tolerant of things that or clearly wrong either morally, ethically, or legally.

But that would be in a perfect world and this world is far from perfect.

There is nothing "clear" about most moral or ethical choices. And there are often huge differences between what is "legal" and what is "right".

Tolerance at least leads to the concept that not everyone believes the same things.

Does it damage someone's property, person, or life? It's bad, avoid it.

Does it make someone feel uncomfortable but otherwise not have any other harmful effects? It's fine, leave it alone if you don't like it.

But those things are different for everyone.

NorthernKingdom
10-03-2011, 01:23 PM
The tolerance word today is simply a mechanism to oppress free thought and force acceptance through society.

Whenever somebody uses the tolerant rhetoric it's in an intolerant manner to force someone else to submit. How ironic.

Snorkel
10-03-2011, 01:29 PM
No, I think we're too intolerant. Of a lot of things. Mental illness being the first that springs to mind from reading your post.

NorthernKingdom
10-03-2011, 01:32 PM
No, I think we're too intolerant. Of a lot of things. Mental illness being the first that springs to mind from reading your post.

That's funny considering mental illness being a public safety issue yet to this day it's protected status and law enforcement can't do their jobs as effectively because of it. In this case we are too tolerant about an issue that affects others as though some sort of perceived personal privacy trumps the safety and well being of others.

Beryl77
10-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Too tolerant? The majority is still really close minded. Also, you said the whole time, that there are things which are clearly wrong but I think you don't get that many things seem wrong to you but to some others they seem pefectly normal.
Who are we to judge what is normal and what isn't? I don't care at all what someone does or doesn't do as long as it doesn't harm other people. Who would decide what's wrong and what isn't? Do you realise, that throughout history, the things which were considered normal have always changed? For example, for some people it's really wrong playing video games, escpecially violent ones, like cs. What's wrong and what isn't is just an opinion and I'd rather we are too tolerant than too close minded.

envirovore
10-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Define 'weird' or 'wrong'.
Just because you might find something that someone does out of the ordinary from your point of view does not mean that it is either weird nor wrong.

So long as you're not harming others*, what's the problem? It's their life, let them live it as they see fit and stop being so quick to pass judgement OP.

*that is unless they want you to (see S&M, BDSM).

NorthernKingdom
10-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Too tolerant? The majority is still really close minded. Also, you said the whole time, that there are things which are clearly wrong but I think you don't get that many things seem wrong to you but to some others they seem pefectly normal.
Who are we to judge what is normal and what isn't? I don't care at all what someone does or doesn't do as long as it doesn't harm other people. Who would decide what's wrong and what isn't? Do you realise, that throughout history, the things which were considered normal have always changed? For example, for some people it's really wrong playing video games, escpecially violent ones, like cs. What's wrong and what isn't is just an opinion and I'd rather we are too tolerant than too close minded.

Accept everything!

Values, morals, cultural norms are important and as you grow older you'll probably start thinking and making judgements yourself. This is not a bad thing it builds character and makes for a far better society than where everything is acceptable.

Orko...
10-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Sounds silly to me; it's not my place to judge what other people do. As long as it doesn't hurt me in any way, it's none of my business.
What sounds even sillier to me is people who witness a crime or other wrongful act and chose to ignore it rather than report it.

In my eyes that makes the witness no better than the person he's chosing not to report.

Simonicus
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Define 'weird' or 'wrong'.
Just because you might find something that someone does out of the ordinary from your point of view does not mean that it is either weird nor wrong.

So long as you're not harming others*, what's the problem? It's their life, let them live it as they see fit and stop being so quick to pass judgement OP.

*that is unless they want you to (see S&M, BDSM).

Nothing wrong with S&M, BDSM between consenting adults either in my opinion lol.
I wouldn't um... submit to it personally but what people do behind closed doors or surrounded by chain wielding cenobite bondage demons (and an ornately designed yet mysterious and musical puzzle box) is their business as others have said.

Snorkel
10-03-2011, 01:47 PM
That's funny considering mental illness being a public safety issue yet to this day it's protected status and law enforcement can't do their jobs as effectively because of it. In this case we are too tolerant about an issue that affects others as though some sort of perceived personal privacy trumps the safety and well being of others.

So...it's OK to be a ♥♥♥♥ to someone who's depressed, because they're affecting others? :confused:

NorthernKingdom
10-03-2011, 01:51 PM
So...it's OK to be a ♥♥♥♥ to someone who's depressed, because they're affecting others? :confused:

Being depressed isn't a mental illness bro ham. EVERYONE is depressed at some time or another.

Go re-read my comment then go look up ridiculous crimes committed by individuals were were really mentally ill but were protected and thus law enforcement couldn't do their job. I'll even do the work for you with two examples; Gabrielle Giffords shooting and the Virginia Tech massacre.

Crazy people need to be treated as such. Nobody should be tolerant of crazy.

Snorkel
10-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes it is. There are a lot of mental illnesses that seriously effect people's everyday lives to greater or lesser degrees. Only a small number of those can really be described as "crazy" (like psychosis). Crazy, to me at least, is where a person has absolutely no concept of reality. I've seen people in this state, and fortunately they didn't cause any harm to anyone, but they very easily could have. And I would not have blamed them for it because they very literally weren't themselves and had lost their minds.

But it's the kind of thing that most people won't appreciate until they come across it themselves.

Most mental illnesses are far less severe, like depression (although, as it can cause people to take their own lives...maybe that's a bad example) and anxiety disorders are the most common, OCD, alzheimers, anorexia, dyslexia...

these are things that a lot of people just assume are made up and that the person suffering them should harden up and get used to living in the real world. People don't understand, they don't want to understand, and they are intolerant ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s.

envirovore
10-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Being depressed isn't a mental illness bro ham. EVERYONE is depressed at some time or another.

Clinical Depression is not the same as feeling a little down every now and then. They're not even close to the same.
It is very much a real mental illness, and it is very much debilitating to those that have it. To the point that just functioning on a day to day basis is a struggle for them.

monkeedude1212
10-03-2011, 02:28 PM

Nah Bro, your mixing up being depressed with having clinical depression.

One is like, just feeling down that your sibling died, so much that you don't like what you are eating, and are stuck in a period of mourning for a while.

The other is like, you hate having to get up to go to work so much that you convince yourself that if they fire you, you can just go find another job, so its okay to sleep in, maybe even call in saying that you are sick, and then when you wake up at 11:30, you're too ashamed of going in to work late that you just stay at home and play video games and masturbate, never leaving the house. You can't really figure out why its a problem for you but its a problem. Its not just laziness, you don't even want to go out and hang with friends. You don't want to just have fun, you find yourself doing what you find fun to just try and get some miniscule amount of enjoyment out of the day. Some people manage to hold a job but ruin the other parts of their life, like marriage or parenting.

I know, you see the zoloft commercials and you go "Everyone can be sad like that little guy" - and you think "Chemical Imbalance? What the s?" and you don't really understand it.

But if you ever go through it, and look back at it, you'll be like, "Well f*ck. That's what depression is!"

DarkLite123
10-03-2011, 02:33 PM
On the topic of locking up crazy people, I'd like to remind you that most people believe in an invisible omnipotent man in the sky listening to their thoughts, who will punish / reward them after their death (or some variation on this theme).

What does "crazy" really mean? Just those that don't conform to some arbitrary (and hypocritical) standard that we have?

monkeedude1212
10-03-2011, 02:36 PM
What does "crazy" really mean? Just those that don't conform to some arbitrary (and hypocritical) standard that we have?

When the irrational thoughts become irrational behavior, IMO.

Someone disagrees with me, and they want to converse about it, totally cool. They want to walk around door to door and talk about it? Totally cool. They start kidnapping people and indoctrinating them into a cult? Not really that cool, man.

Beryl77
10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Accept everything!

Values, morals, cultural norms are important and as you grow older you'll probably start thinking and making judgements yourself. This is not a bad thing it builds character and makes for a far better society than where everything is acceptable.
First of all, I didn't say "accept everything".
Second, you don't really make judgements youself. You just think what society whants you to think. Cultural norms aren't necessarily a good thing, since there can be and have been bad cultural norms. Also, I don't see how that leads to a better society. IMO, a more open minded society is much better than one who accept nothing but what they think is good.

stillmatic07
10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Intolerance is the worst, I think... but then again this thread is so vague it could mean anything.

cwbys21
10-03-2011, 03:03 PM
A "more open minded society" would just do what the talking heads on tv and in government tell them to do because they are incapable of thinking for themselves. Better to think for yourself and accept few things and know who you are than to accept everything and let others tell you who you are. Go read 1984 by George Orwell, it would be a lot like that. Some guy giving a speech on a podium railing against Canada and then getting a message and changes his speech saying we love Canada, now we hate Mexico.

Zekiran
10-03-2011, 03:19 PM
What sounds even sillier to me is people who witness a crime or other wrongful act and chose to ignore it rather than report it.

In my eyes that makes the witness no better than the person he's chosing not to report.

This is an important thing to note. "Squealing" and "tattle tale" and "telling on people" are, for whatever incredibly stupid reason, 'unacceptable behavior' even though the behaviors people would be reporting (bullying, ♥♥♥♥, theft, abuse, etc) are ones which by any stretch of the imagination someone would never want to happen TO THEM.

I've seen people get angry on forums when the suggestion of "you should report it if X" comes around. It's boggling. The defense of such behaviors is inexcusable to me. When someone's property, life, or mental/emotional well-being is on the line, involuntarily because of something that someone ELSE is doing, it's time to put a stop to it.

When it's "oh my, I can't stand how people can watch X or do Y thing! It makes my skin crawl!" ... Don't do it, then. Click that little red X up in the corner of the screen. Don't go to that rally. Don't abuse your friendships or partners.

Respect and tolerance SHOULD go hand in hand with understanding and responsibility. Unfortunately too often, they just don't.

stillmatic07
10-03-2011, 03:21 PM
A "more open minded society" would just do what the talking heads on tv and in government tell them to do because they are incapable of thinking for themselves. Better to think for yourself and accept few things and know who you are than to accept everything and let others tell you who you are. Go read 1984 by George Orwell, it would be a lot like that. Some guy giving a speech on a podium railing against Canada and then getting a message and changes his speech saying we love Canada, now we hate Mexico.
I disagree. An open mind would be inclined to oppose extremes. The kind that read/research multiple news sources, oppose extreme right or left thinking, and weigh situations more rationally.

Since when is closed-mindedness a good thing? Being stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas is not something to be proud of, and is certainly not helping society. If anything it is a cancer.

Would you rather have someone that contemplates a decision, or makes a swift and thoughtless judgement?

Zekiran
10-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Sadly still, that would require people to think. Remember that most people simply don't.

Beryl77
10-03-2011, 03:36 PM
I don't see the relation between being open minded and stupidly believing everything a politician says.
I don't think you know what being open minded means and you just confuse those two things.
You need to read 1984 again because that book definitely wasn't about people being too open minded.
Sadly still, that would require people to think. Remember that most people simply don't.
Sad truth.

cwbys21
10-03-2011, 03:37 PM
I disagree. An open mind would be inclined to oppose extremes. The kind that read/research multiple news sources, oppose extreme right or left thinking, and weigh situations more rationally.

we are a society that doesn't want to spend a half hour cooking, and would rather spend that half hour sitting in traffic to eat at McDonalds, do you really think a significant number of people are going to research news stories and situations on the internet?

stillmatic07
10-03-2011, 03:41 PM
we are a society that doesn't want to spend a half hour cooking, and would rather spend that half hour sitting in traffic to eat at McDonalds, do you really think a significant number of people are going to research news stories and situations on the internet?

Not at all. But still, while there may be a small percentage who actually think with an open mind, they aren't the ones to blame.

Being open minded does not equal sheeple who believe whatever the government says.

Gustave5436
10-03-2011, 03:46 PM

That's not at all the sort of thing I was thinking about, but whatever...

btw, look up "bystander effect."

Pythagoras
10-03-2011, 03:51 PM

"Learn from everyone, follow no one" is probably one of my favorite quotes. Stick to your beliefs, yes, but never completely shun a new idea either.

Simonicus
10-03-2011, 03:53 PM
"Learn from everyone, follow no one" is probably one of my favorite quotes. Stick to your beliefs, yes, but never completely shun a new idea either.

Who said that?
Its an interesting statement.

Pythagoras
10-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Who said that?

I honestly wish I knew. I read it in a book recently but I don't remember who said it.

Plank
10-03-2011, 04:08 PM
It's quite simple for me. Without an actual example from the OP it is hard to judge what he is implying since there is a subjective scale on what is moral and ethical for each individual but there is an overall conscious on what we all agree on what is considered ok and not ok. Personally, I have not been raised to have prejudices on a person just because he/she is different but OP might have been raised differently and this is where the "unfairness" of tolerance comes in for him/her. To that I say, education is the best answer and without any examples from OP I will only have to assume.

Subject0
10-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Don't must countrys have free speach now?

stillmatic07
10-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Don't must countrys have free speach now?

hahahaha good one! :D

HammerLegionary
10-03-2011, 04:23 PM
If we had less tolerance there would be more street preachers. Is that something you want?

firestonex
10-03-2011, 04:38 PM
There is a differnce between tolerance and acceptance...

You can tolarate something and be respectful without accepting or giving approval.

For example,

If you do not agree with gay people, you can be tolarent, by not preaching hate speech. You can give your opinions as long as you explain why you believe your opinions without making it a hate speech.

So yes. It's good to be tolerant.. That doesn't mean you have to accept things you disapprove of.

The problem is that most people don't know how to be tolerant. If they don't like something, they don't know how to defend their position without going into hate speeches or explain their side without resorting to name calling or blaming...

The sad truth is, that this is how too many people resort to this.. Have you ever seen political ads.. Instead of explaining why they should be elected, too often they decide to make commercials about why the other candidate is evil...

Heck look at those people who call Obama Hitler...

People like that can't see that their over simplification of a topic or opinion makes them look less intellegent..

I would love to see a sign that says Obama is Hitler.. And then under it, give a detailed explaination of exactly how he is... Except you will never see that, because people like that don't seem to have the mental ability to use reasoning or explaination. Much less tolerance.

I think the world would be a better place if everyone was required to take debate class, and learn how to communicate appropriately.

youknow
10-03-2011, 04:38 PM
I tolerate everything except ill will towards another.

sole21000
10-03-2011, 05:25 PM

Who are we to judge what is normal and what isn't? I don't care at all what someone does or doesn't do as long as it doesn't harm other people. Who would decide what's wrong and what isn't? Do you realise, that throughout history, the things which were considered normal have always changed?

This. The only people who argue we're being too tolerant are people who don't have any predilections outside the cultural norm. As for history, if you saw what was allowed in ancient Greece & Rome you'd flip out....that is assuming you're a conservative Christian in America.

PowerfulGiraffe
10-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I don't tolerate when people mate with animals, other than that, I can tolerate a lot.

After all, most people tolerate me. so I return the favor

stillmatic07
10-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't tolerate when people mate with animals, other than that, I can tolerate a lot.

After all, most people tolerate me. so I return the favor

Some people just can't appreciate true love. :rolleyes:

chaplain_wu
10-03-2011, 05:48 PM
We're "tolerant" mostly because we don't care. Or it doesn't affect us.

Conversely we mostly express our intolerance on the internet rather than in their face.

CTRL ALT DEL !
10-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I would have loved to have seen a mod lock this thread and post. And post "ZERO TOLERANCE"

PowerfulGiraffe
10-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I would have loved to have seen a mod lock this thread and post. And post "ZERO TOLERANCE"you typed "and post" twice in your post

misteaks are something I don't tolerate :mad:

Orko...
10-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Who said that?
Scott McCloud, I believe.

rlg5150
10-03-2011, 08:12 PM
I like to think of the definition of tolerance as "The utter refusal to tolerate anything other than your own beliefs; no matter how radical they may be."

Okay, obviously not everyone thinks this way but a lot of people who preach tolerance at everyone do. I can accept that someone leads a certain lifestyle and is a strong activist for it, but that doesn't mean I have to support it and agree with it. I won't say specifically what I'm referring to but I don't think it makes me intolerant just because I'm not advocating it.

To the OP, yes, I think we are too tolerant about certain things. Too many parents tell their kids it's wrong to be normal and people go out of there way to make themselves an individual. None of us are born alike so there's no need to try and make an individual out of yourself with abnormal behavior. I'm not saying it's wrong to be different; I'm saying that we're all already different so some behaviors are just for attention and nothing else.

Gustave5436
10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
It's easy to judge people as deviant when you observe them from a distance without actually understanding the causative factors behind said behavior. Trouble is, that's not science. In order to be objective, you must endeavor to understand a culture, or sub-culture, from the point of view of its own social standards, not your own. I'm not saying this is immoral or wrong or anything (so no need to get defensive). It is, however, irrational; when you're too busy looking to confirm your own preconceived notions about someone, you won't see them as they are, but as you expect them to be.

I'm probably not very clear, but basically there's all sorts of logic errors your brain makes when it tries to judge people based solely on its own perception of them, stuff like the fundamental attribution error. Because our brains have such a strong tendency towards fabricating stupid bull♥♥♥♥ to believe in, it's important to be aware of this tendency, and to try to avoid it.

I still don't really know what we're arguing about in this thread, but I assume it's probably something about accepting gay people or people from other religions or something like that, and I think it's wrong for me to judge someone else just because their values or interests differ from mine. It is very arrogant to think that you know better than everyone else, and that everyone should be exactly the same as yourself. People have the basic right to be left to their own devices; so long as they're not hurting anyone, it really isn't anyone's business what they do.

tibetanpunk
10-03-2011, 09:20 PM
As long as people aren't causing suffering for others, they should be free to express themselves as they wish...

For me, that is the clear, ethical guideline that I live by. I don't really give a ♥♥♥♥ what people think of me, because I know where I stand.

Eriako
10-03-2011, 09:37 PM
I think that we're generally getting less hostile towards people who aren't our version of purebred vanilla, but we've a long way to go in being a species that is respectful, kindhearted and wishes good health for all.

Hopefully if we nurture intelligence, goodwill and creativity, each generation will be a little more united than the last.

Pythagoras
10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Scott McCloud, I believe.

Yeah, that was it.

Simonicus
10-04-2011, 04:56 AM
This guy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_McCloud

Or am I way off the mark?