PDA

View Full Version : The value of LUCK

Sicminded
10-03-2011, 06:45 PM
This is my determination of LUCK after 30hrs. of gameplay, 11 mom kills w/ all 5 characters & numerous deaths that'd make the Grim Reaper quit his job.

Observations:
--> Cain runs seemed more "manageable," though I don't know if it's psychological. Rooms seemed less dense, my character was more tricked out, & I won a lot at the arcade.
--> ???'s (5th unlock able character's) LUCK is down the drain. Items rarely spawned, rooms were more complicated & enemy-dense, & I never seemed to win at slots.

LUCK seems to affect:
I. The relative difficult of rooms.
Rooms get easier for characters holding the Lucky Foot. This includes: weaker & less (or no) enemies, more items spawned (coins, chests, blue rocks), easier enemies in the battle rooms (see below), less chance of Greed showing up in the shop.

II. Loot distribution strength.
Gold-rooms / boss-kills granted stronger unlocked items w/ Cain than w/ ???.

III. Chance to spawn devil room.
Your chance to spawn the devil room increases by the less damage you take during the boss battle, the amount of health you have at the end, how fast you kill him plus/times LUCK.

IV. Chance at gambling.
Slot machines, shell guy & beggars seem affected. I recall filling the arcade w/ goodies playing Cain & wasting 40 pennies on slots w/ ???. The beggar spawned great stuff for Lucky Foot holders & mostly dog food for ???.

V. Pill distribution.
??? has the worst pill combo. I ALWAYS got bad gas, "... and I ate them" & a stat-down pill.

VI. Battle room enemy composition.
Harder foes showed up sooner w/ ???, but rarely on Cain. Mini-bosses spawned in larger groups on ???.

VII. Subsequent playthrough difficulty after death.
This is unconfirmed, but it felt like the game gave me some help on the next play through after clicking replay. LUCK is reset if you start from the main menu again.

These are just observations. One thing to note is for every completion, enemies have more variety. (I've bumped into C.H.A.D. & Steven a lot more lately.) Anyone else feeling this change?

BishopWonDai
10-03-2011, 07:16 PM
all I have noticed is that I can only seem to win dollars with a lucky foot same with the fly hat :S

Sam&Max
10-03-2011, 07:55 PM
all I have noticed is that I can only seem to win dollars with a lucky foot same with the fly hat :S
Winning a dollar is how I got the lucky foot in the first place, and I haven't done it since.

Sifer2
10-03-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't know about that replay thing increasing luck. I just got done with two sessions an had the same basic problem which was the game spawning hard rooms of enemies on stage 5 but hardly any hearts. Kind of annoying since yesterday my first time playing I could make it to stage 6 relatively easily. I think beating Mom an unlocking the womb has made the game more stingy with health an its infuriating.

MrUnderstanding
10-04-2011, 02:52 AM
My first run through with Cain was interesting:

First slot machine, 1 spin gave a dollar. Then I found Chocolate Milk, then Pit Lord, then Technology and a load of damage boosters which was basically easy mode.

Seriously, charge shot and the robot eye is insane.

Cheezcaek
10-04-2011, 02:55 AM
My very first successful run with Cain had me picking up a PHD and Mom's bottle of pills and EVERY ONE of the pills I got out of that bottle was a positive effect, and due to that I had max speed, tears, and health by the end. I've also received multiple dollars from slot machines in the same run before.