PDA

View Full Version : Calm down maybe?

Rav|
10-04-2011, 03:25 AM
The game came out a few hours ago. In my opinion it's OK to release a game that has bugs if the developer sticks around to fix it. No one said there wouldn't be patches so why not give them a chance to come through for us? We have no reason to believe id will let us down, they have a track record of making good games and of being great programmers.

BuffCareBear
10-04-2011, 03:27 AM
It's a solid game the only complaint for me is THE GOD DAMN LOD AND MENU FLICKERING! >_<

Other then that I felt it was worth it.

0xiDIzE
10-04-2011, 03:29 AM
Unacceptable to release a game in this state. Either they did NO QA testing on the PC, or someone caught several of these issues and they refused to delay it for a week. Either way that was some very poor decision making on their part, and I don't see how we can expect them to suddenly make some great ones.

The Dead Island dev release was far more playable.

Zarukei
10-04-2011, 03:29 AM
i am enjoying it but when i see this http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/560921086995865625/395AAF45016F3C36418F0726A411C2DBB29299AE/ it makes me cringe. Notice the detail on the npc vs the wall

ForteSpark
10-04-2011, 03:31 AM
For me Dead Island was far worse than this. Right now I'm only having "texture streaming" problems. With Dead Island I had to disable a monitor and other things that were just plain weird.

BlackOpsLag
10-04-2011, 03:35 AM
I'm enjoying it. My only problem is slight texture popping, but nothing I can't deal with. People really do need to calm down. A patch will come soon I'm sure.

BC2 Cypher
10-04-2011, 03:38 AM
I'm just jarateed that I can't play it tonight.

I know they will patch it, I'm just beyond disappointed right now. I'm ok with a game being released with bugs but when it's game breaking bugs like this texture pop-in crap it really makes me angry that it got released in such a sorry as state.

dupton69
10-04-2011, 03:38 AM
The game came out a few hours ago. In my opinion it's OK to release a game that has bugs if the developer sticks around to fix it. No one said there wouldn't be patches so why not give them a chance to come through for us? We have no reason to believe id will let us down, they have a track record of making good games and of being great programmers.

Well said, sometimes I hate being part of the gamer scene when I see so much spam of complaining and such. If you really don't want to play the game with any issues or bugs wait a few weeks after release and pretend it never happened.

Every game i've bought in recent months have been fairly catastrophic upon release like Dead Island which still hasn't recieved a worth while patch. Just be patient.

mechtech
10-04-2011, 03:55 AM
In my opinion it's OK to release a game that has bugs if the developer sticks around to fix it.

This attitude is why developers feel they can get away with this crap.

I for one am fed up with half-assed releases like this. Red Orchestra 2 has pages full of bugs and an absolutely non-functioning stats system 3 weeks after release, and now I get another new game with artifacting, flickering, low fps, and broken texture loading (yes, latest drivers and a high end PC).

Rav|
10-04-2011, 03:58 AM

I for one am fed up with half-assed releases like this. Red Orchestra 2 has pages full of bugs and an absolutely non-functioning stats system 3 weeks after release, and now I get another new game with artifacting, flickering, low fps, and broken texture loading (yes, latest drivers and a high end PC).
Listen, you're gonna have bugs in these games. This isn't Doom 2 anymore, these projects are huge and there are millions of lines of code, it's easier to mess something up. What matters is whether they stick around to release patches.

F2Pelerin118
10-04-2011, 04:04 AM
Listen, you're gonna have bugs in these games. This isn't Doom 2 anymore, these projects are huge and there are millions of lines of code, it's easier to mess something up. What matters is whether they stick around to release patches.

I like your attitude and I agree, though I do see where the complaints are coming from. (we shouldn't excuse the developers, but we should also be realistic and like you said, have some patience.)

thefreeman0001
10-04-2011, 04:07 AM
no let people ....rage!

;D

Relapse1984
10-04-2011, 04:14 AM
I wish we could get some sort of accurate percentage of people that are actually having issues. I'm pretty sure it's quite low, but issues will arise no matter how much testing has been done. I haven't had any problems (I'm happy about it, yay) but it seems like there are a fair amount of people that are experiencing problems. Hopefully these things will be addressed and fixed in a timely manner, but it can't be easy to deal with issues when it comes to the PC community.

There are so many different setups, and many people use different drivers for their GPU's. It's impossible to account for every type of system out there.

mechtech
10-04-2011, 04:17 AM

I agree, in the end it's patching that matters. That said, these are major bugs, and it's happening because they're not putting enough debugging time.

Look at console releases. This doesn't happen on console releases, because many players aren't online to get patches. Developers push out products too early, and they justify it by saying "we'll patch it later". What's even worse is some developers don't even fix the major issues.

Here's an example. I recently had 2 friends buy Civ V so we could play on LAN together. The LAN mode doesn't work, so we set up a net game. The AI settings don't work, players get dropped randomly, and you can't even stop other random players from entering the game. They have a private server option, but you can't connect by IP :confused:. When you load a saved game, every AI level gets reset. It was unplayable, and this was a AAA game over a year after release.

If anything, I wish PC players make more of a fuss, this needs to stop.

I realize that I shouldn't have preordered, and I'm only perpetuating the issue, but in my case I go to QuakeCon every year and was really looking forward to what Carmack had to offer.

ericroslin
10-04-2011, 04:24 AM

Red Orchestra 2 was a lost cause anyways, the game is still unplayable as well lol

Relapse1984
10-04-2011, 04:26 AM
I agree, in the end it's patching that matters. That said, these are major bugs, and it's happening because they're not putting enough debugging time.

Look at console releases. This doesn't happen on console releases, because many players aren't online to get patches. Developers push out products too early, and they justify it by saying "we'll patch it later". What's even worse is some developers don't even fix the major issues.

Here's an example. I recently had 2 friends buy Civ V so we could play on LAN together. The LAN mode doesn't work, so we set up a net game. The AI settings don't work, players get dropped randomly, and you can't even stop other random players from entering the game. They have a private server option, but you can't connect by IP :confused:. When you load a saved game, every AI level gets reset. It was unplayable, and this was a AAA game over a year after release.

If anything, I wish PC players make more of a fuss, this needs to stop.

I realize that I shouldn't have preordered, and I'm only perpetuating the issue, but in my case I go to QuakeCon every year and was really looking forward to what Carmack had to offer.

You do realize that not every PC is the same, right? They put out a game for XBOX and they know exactly what system everyone is using. When it comes to PC though, there are so many different setups and drivers that it's impossible to completely test them all out.

t1ddl3r
10-04-2011, 05:03 AM

No it is NOT ok to release a game that has bugs, EVER. Whether they are going to fix them or not, it is disgusting that devs are releasing games they know to be broken.

And it is because of people like YOU, who not only condone this behaviour, but support and encourage it, that they are doing it more and more.

Look at dead island. Not fixed. Red orchestra 2. Not fixed.]

Sure, they released patches, but once the first few don't work, they have their money, they go on to release DLC for the people who DO have the game working so they can make more money.

Because people condone this kind of thing, and because PC gaming is dying (yes I said it, and YES it is true), the PC is given scraps from a table full of inedible food at best (bad metaphor I know, but I am in a bad mood here).

Console games have dumbed down gameplay, graphics and online play, console gamers have allowed devs to become lazy in their design decisions, and PC gamers like YOU have allowed them to not even bother to finish games before they release them.]#

Honestly, I haven't played this yet, I was just looking for the responses of people in countries where the game is out, as it is still not out here in the UK. So I can't comment on how broken this game is. I am considering cancelling my preorder before it's too late, thanks to how broken it seems.

I can however, comment on whether it is acceptable for devs to release broken games; it is NOT!

If this game is as broken as people say, I GUARANTEE it will remain that way. Why WOULD they fix it? They have their (our) money, so why bother paying their staff to work on something that is going to make them zero profit? That's just bad business sense.

Seeing as they don't REALLY care about the PC anyway (it's only a few years ago that ID said they were only making console games from now on anyway, so the PC version was ALWAYS going to be a cheap console port), why should they care about what happens to the game once they have sold as many copies as they can?

Honestly, if they didn't release for PC it would make very little difference to their profits anyway. The PC makes up for less than 10% of the market in games such as this. Are they going to care about 1 in 10 of their customers? Especially when the other 9 out of 10 are so easily pleased they could sell them a brightly coloured cardboard box, as long as they had advertised it enough, and paid enough gaming media to push it into their faces as much as possible.

Look at BF3; from playing the beta, it is a cheap clone of bad company 2, but with planes. Is even MORE geared towards the simplicity of the console gamer, AND is less optimised for PC than any previous dice game (including bad company 1, which didn't even MAKE IT to PC). Do they care about the PC? No, they just consider it a bit of extra cash on top of the mountains they make from the easily please console kids.

Sorry to seem to negative, but this is all true, I don't care how it looks through your rose tinted glasses.

nerf84
10-04-2011, 05:05 AM
It's fact that seems games these days aren't fully test with all these major bugs and fixes that need be done. From id software too its pretty bad. Game looks like ♥♥♥♥ nothing like the gameplay videos!

t1ddl3r
10-04-2011, 05:08 AM
You do realize that not every PC is the same, right? They put out a game for XBOX and they know exactly what system everyone is using. When it comes to PC though, there are so many different setups and drivers that it's impossible to completely test them all out.

True, but games never USED to be released in such a broken state as they are these days.

Well, maybe the odd game would have major bugs, like boiling point (but that WAS funny bugs, I must admit), but mostly they were very good. And systems had just as much diversity then as they do now.

It has only been since the huge rise in console gaming, especially online, that PC games have been relegated to the position of "get it out, no matter the condition, people will buy it, and then we can keep the money and move onto something new".

Name the last badly broken game that has been patched to a finished condition? No? Can't think of one? Hmm, I wonder why?

redbrav0
10-04-2011, 05:13 AM
the game looks great when still, I can see how the engine works. It just doesnt scale up. even if SLI isnt working, I only uses like 50% of one of my 570's and runs at 60 FPS @ 1080P with 16x AA.

data54
10-04-2011, 05:14 AM

Sorry but the fact every time that I turn the camera I see models with no textures isn't a small bug. That would be classified under "WHY THE HELL DID THEY RELEASE THIS", they should have at least given us some graphic options to try to fix it, but its like they just dragged a console version onto a pc and remapped the keys without testing it, also the fact that I played it for half an hour and there is no story at all doesn't help.

Here's a story outline for the first half hour:
(don't worry, there are no spoilers as there is no story)

1. wake up
2. walk outside
3. Some homo tries to have sex with me
4. Homo is sniped and I am told to get into the buggy by "Dan"
5. "Dan" tells me to go and commit mass murder while he sits on his ♥♥♥
6. I drive an ATV that is the result of combining Mass Effect 1's Mako with a car from Need for speed
7. I walk into a hotel and kill everyone
8. Dan is an ungrateful SOB and tells me to go get him a sandwich

The story is supposed to be interesting and make you want to dive into it, this story is like being stuck in a hole and having it ♥♥♥♥ out on top of you.

madafaka
10-04-2011, 06:00 AM

It is not OK. They should have released a Demo. If there were a Demo, the obvious issues would have been fixed.
Dev that refused to release a demo (BRINK, RAGE, HOMEFRONT...) had something to hide and/or willingly sold bad quality products on PC.
Games are sold based on hype nowadays

eldo76
10-04-2011, 06:07 AM
calm down ?!?!?!?

I have been waiting for this since 2007, all the previews, the fuss about megatextures, idtech5, etc...

and now they release a ♥♥♥♥box port with ps2 quality textures ?!?!?

calm down ?!?!?!?

this is a bad joke !

Rav|
10-04-2011, 06:08 AM
I'm not saying they should purposely release broken games with the intention of fixing them post-release. But if they end up fixing the problems, in this case if they end up fixing the texture streaming problems, everything will be fine. I will be the first to turn my back on id if they pull a Codemasters and leave a broken product behind like F1 2010. For now I have no reason to believe this wasn't an honest mistake and for all we know people could be using outdated drivers too etc. There are a lot of factors and we should wait for the dust to settle. I expect id to speak up and to release patches if there are problems.

Don't forget about those who are enjoying the game and for whom texture streaming is working flawlessly. That means the game is capable of doing what the devs intended it's just a matter of creating the right environment.