PDA

View Full Version : Some bank robery statistics (According to 2009 FBI)

stormlifter
10-05-2011, 12:39 PM
These numbers are based of the FBI 2009 Crime in America reports.
I'm not suggesting the developers should have used these stats to make their game, just got curious because of the game and found the most interesting stats.

There were a total of 6,062 "violations" accounted for in these statistics of which 5,943 qualify as robberies.
Robberies happen most often in Commercial Banks (5316 of 5943, 89%)
22% of loot is recovered (as reported by law enforcement agencies)

This is a breakdown of race, gender

White Black HispanicOther Unknown
Male 2796 3147 561 80 238
Female 177 197 44 5 8

Location and Time
51% of robberies occur between 9am-1pm
Friday is the most common day for a robbery (20%)
Robberies rarely happen on the weekend (Sat, Sun = 8%)
94% of robberies happen at branch offices (vs main office, store, other)
Texas is the most likely state to have a bank robbery (8%, 484 counts)

Weapons, injuries, deaths
12% of robberies involve the perpetrator using a firearm
97% of robberies where a firearm is used the firearm is handgun
19% of the injuries are to a perpetrator (140 total)
100% of the deaths are of perpetrators (21 total)

A few side note comparisons between 2009 and 2010

Female roberies are on the rise

I'll add more as I get more time.

For fact checking: http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/bank-crime-statistics-2009/bank-crime-statistics-2009

John_Blaze
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Hmmm...people in Texas might be interested in online banking.

If any Texans on this forum want me to set them up with an online bank account then send me your account details :D

ArecBalrin
10-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Having a nose for statistics, some comments I'd like to make.

This sounds low, but I'm guessing this only means successful robberies where the loot has actually gone, not all the perps being arrested before they reach the get-away.

(race) Unknown 238

Only 238 bank-robbers knew what they were doing.

19% of the injuries are to a perpetrator (140 total)
100% of the deaths are of perpetrators (21 total)

This suggests that when shoot-outs happen, they are over very quickly. Anyone injured is taken to a hospital double-quick and perps either don't think to use staff and customers as hostages or shields, or they don't successfully manage to. That indicates that almost no violent bank-robbers are psychopaths; psychopathic bank-robbers probably turn themselves in at the first sign of danger.

It also casts doubt on the realism of Michael Mann's Heat where when one hostage is killed by accident and the reaction of the gang is to kill every hostage on the grounds that they are now all guilty of conspiracy to murder and will get automatic death sentences if caught. With the hazard at its highest, killing every witness merely lowered the risk of capture. It's straightforward psychopath calculation but the 2009 FBI statistics indicate a psychopath would be more likely to stop the robbery and leave when something went wrong, or even shoot dead their accomplices(although the figures don't go into such detail).

The more realistic scenario is Reservoir Dogs, with the exception of Mr White. Their first reaction to the robbery going wrong was to cease working as a team and follow their own agendas. Most of the cast are psychopaths but Mr White is the only expressly violent one. Whilst being the most popular character, he is nowhere near the most realistic.

Texas is the most likely state to have a bank robbery (8%, 484 counts)

I think this is largely to do with the size of Texas, its proximity to Mexico(few robbers are Hispanic, buy I'm thinking of people wanting to buy drugs from over the border) and a high degree of poverty. I don't think any specific laws or social policies(apart from those affecting income distribution) are the issue. Firearms are only used in 12% of robberies in the US and I don't think it would be much higher in Texas alone.

Will have a look at the stats in the link.

Ricster2k
10-05-2011, 03:16 PM
I thought there would be at least be 1 robber that wasn't a man nor a women.
and who are the Other? are they yellow people?

TheKritsTheyKil
10-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:

This sounds low, but I'm guessing this only means successful robberies where the loot has actually gone, not all the perps being arrested before they reach the get-away.

It is low, but your statement contradicts what it means.

They mean that only 22% of all of the stolen "loot" or goods is recovered by law enforcement.

So out of all of the robberies committed across the USA. Only 22% of all of the stolen money was actually recovered.

XS-142
10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Wanna make it even more fun?
Go for the Devs country of origin instead.
Some hilarious statistics. :P

defrag1
10-05-2011, 06:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2V0X00pUNU#t=2m05s;
strafing like a mofo

kaiser434
10-05-2011, 06:35 PM
238 bank robbers are really kick ♥♥♥ at disguise apparently.

Ram-Kults
07-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info.Its more interesting, then these clones.I mean threads ofcourse.Its like fresh air.Thank you man, thank you.

Ericson777
07-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Hmmm...people in Texas might be interested in online banking.

If any Texans on this forum want me to set them up with an online bank account then send me your account details :D

PM'd my credit card info

inb4 someone doesn't recognize sarcasm

MolotoK
07-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Are you trying to tell me that not all bank robberies involve light machine guns, a body count in the hundreds and loot worth millions? :(

average loot taken in those statistics is less than $9000.

It also casts doubt on the realism of Michael Mann's Heat where when one hostage is killed by accident and the reaction of the gang is to kill every hostage on the grounds that they are now all guilty of conspiracy to murder and will get automatic death sentences if caught. With the hazard at its highest, killing every witness merely lowered the risk of capture. It's straightforward psychopath calculation but the 2009 FBI statistics indicate a psychopath would be more likely to stop the robbery and leave when something went wrong, or even shoot dead their accomplices(although the figures don't go into such detail).

They had already killed 2 of the 3 guards by the time they decided to execute the 3rd.
I'm no lawyer, but it's probably hard to argue that you never intended to kill anyone, when you show up at a robbery with assault rifles and bullet proof vests.

nik_gtasa
07-10-2012, 03:09 AM
Achievement get: Owning the FBI

soulspeaker
07-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Are you trying to tell me that not all bank robberies involve light machine guns, a body count in the hundreds and loot worth millions? :(

average loot taken in those statistics is less than $9000.

no man they have the statistics al wrong, of course every robbery involves light machine guns and thermite.

and that loot, every heister knows they mean 9000K.:rolleyes: