PDA

View Full Version : Why are they selling this broken game?

jerkamie
10-05-2011, 03:05 PM
My co worker and I were talking about our high school days playing dark forces 1 and 2 today. Made me come home and buy df2. Trying to play it what a pile of crap. Why does steam sell this game if it's not working the way the original used to??

MentatMM
10-06-2011, 05:17 AM
I'm unable to answer your question, but I can point you to a thread that will enable you to get JKDF2 working (http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?56665-Jedi-Knight-issues). This thread includes several "patches" that make the game better.

jerkamie
10-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Really we shouldn't have to do this crap to get this working. Steam should be embarrassed.

neema_t
10-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Welcome to PC gaming. At least this game can be made to work, a few I've got haven't got solutions to the whole 'this doesn't work' problem.

Bucky21659
10-09-2011, 05:26 PM
It's actually just because the engine doesn't really like newer hard ware. Luckily I had an old laptop with an ANCIENT video card. (ATi Mobility Radeon 9700) So if you have an old-ish video card/computer, try running it on that. :P

Dragonsbrethren
12-07-2011, 11:57 PM
This is one of the few Steam games that outright states it has problems due to age on its store page. Like neema_t said, at least you can get it working on a modern system. I've had to turn to a VM running Win98 for a few older games.

The game's too new for emulation and too old for it to run (flawlessly) on modern hardware. You just have to deal with that; the alternative is not having the game available on Steam at all.

zarathustra2k1
12-17-2011, 04:33 AM
Why does steam sell this game if it's not working the way the original used to??

1 - Did you read the disclaimer before hitting 'purchase'? Seems not, or you'd be whining less...

2 - Many others seem to be playing it just fine.

3 - Follow MentatMM's URL - then the good advice posted therein - & you could also be enjoying JK & reminiscing with the rest of us.

4 - TINU.

Count_D
12-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Welcome to PC gaming. At least this game can be made to work, a few I've got haven't got solutions to the whole 'this doesn't work' problem.

Welcome to the world of pain. The game is broken not because all of PC gaming is like this, it's being sold broken because LA are a bunch of ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s.

EricJD
12-28-2011, 11:16 AM
JK: DF2 worked perfectly for me right away, and I have a fairly modern computer. (Sandy Bridge, 16 GB RAM, two GTX 460s in SLI)

Count_D
01-10-2012, 08:10 AM
JK: DF2 worked perfectly for me right away, and I have a fairly modern computer. (Sandy Bridge, 16 GB RAM, two GTX 460s in SLI)

Go outside and buy yourself a bunch of lottery tickets, because you're the luckiest mothereffer in the world.

Monster_user
01-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Go outside and buy yourself a bunch of lottery tickets, because you're the luckiest mothereffer in the world.

Now I'm going to have to try this game on my PC.

Windows Vista 64-bit
4GB RAM
Geforce GT 240
Core 2 Duo E7500 3ghz.

EDIT: It works on my PC. I'd have to say that Eric is not the luckiest person in the world, he just has a compatible system.

DeathByCactus
02-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Umm, it works on my GF's old busted computer and my awesome I7-2600k rig. Both JK2 and Dark Forces. It crashes every time I have to come back into the game from the exit menu but I can still quicksave/load.

Also, technically you should be embarrassed. You are the one who got screwed lol.

Treychik
03-06-2012, 03:56 PM
well - the main point here is : why come that steam doesn't fix game files and saves users' nerves and expectations -__- I've found more than 3 games with "no launch" bugs...they can be easily fixed...but they sell raw product now...we live now, not 90s...almost any user has Win7...then what is the problem fixing some games?

Monster_user
03-06-2012, 05:20 PM
We live now, not 90s. The game is 90s. The code is 90s, not now.

The fact of the matter is, the source code was deleted a long time ago. Nobody remembers how the game works, or how to fix it. It would cost tens of thousands of dollars to hire a team of programmers to re-learn the game and fix it. It could cost hundreds of thousands if that team has to reverse engineer the game, and rewrite it from scratch.

Your better off making a new release, like "Tomb Raider: Anniversary".