PDA

View Full Version : This is the best puzzle game I have ever played

Teemo
10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Its incredible. I got Frozen Synapse in the bundle and was happy with that, then they added this. I hadn't even heard of it before, but now this is by far the best puzzle game I have ever played.

ExK
10-06-2011, 10:50 PM
welcome to the club :) ... or should I say, asylum? most of us have already been driven mad by the insanely difficult puzzles.

excelancije
10-07-2011, 04:26 AM
Same here, 100% agreed with Teemo. Get it with Frozen Synapse bundle, try it and I was instantly hooked. I find that have some similarities with Cogs, at least, both are puzzle games, and looks polished and smart designed and very-very challenging (read - frustrating ;)), but for now I enjoy it much more than Cogs.

90% Jihad
10-07-2011, 05:36 AM
The leaderboard is what drives me into madness. I will not stop before I beat each and everyone on my friends list in each and every puzzle.

Don't worry, I'm not small minded, just competitive :-)

Abedeus
10-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Agreed.

I'm barely few levels in (at reactors), and I love it.

Who knew how hard it is to create CH2O... But I will do it! It's possible!

..It's just that I'm way too dumb to figure it out within 15 minutes.

Blueeyedrat
10-07-2011, 03:41 PM
For me, the difficulty is part of the appeal. It's just so damn satisfying when you create a system that works. I've only just reached Sikutar, so it only gets more convoluted from here. :D

Bashy McFetus
10-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Who knew how hard it is to create CH2O... But I will do it! It's possible!

Hoo boy, are you going to be shocked later on.

cooljoerules
10-07-2011, 11:04 PM
For me, the difficulty is part of the appeal. It's just so damn satisfying when you create a system that works. I've only just reached Sikutar, so it only gets more convoluted from here. :D

Yes, oh yes. The sense of satisfaction you get from designing a working solution is almost indescribable. It's about on par with the satisfaction you get from doing something like finishing a 2000+ word term paper, that you get an A on. Usually after I solve a level I just sit there watching it work away, a giant stupid grin on my face. It's euphoric really. This game is better than drugs....not that I would know...

chriskmee
10-09-2011, 02:17 PM
This is by far my favorite game in the bundle. I think the only thing i don't really like so far is the defense mode because you have to manually control what goes where. I like building the whole thing and sitting back to watch it work.

This reminded me of an iPhone game called trainayard, actually pretty similar mechanics.

bluex
10-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Agree. It's really best puzzle game I have ever played. :)

CtrlAltDestroy
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
If anyone's interested, I wrote a top 10 list for Gamefaqs a while back, which has gotten featured twice now.

The Top 10 Grid-Based Thinking Games (http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/2350.html)

(SpaceChem is at #2.)

Fluiq
10-10-2011, 09:38 AM
If anyone's interested, I wrote a top 10 list for Gamefaqs a while back, which has gotten featured twice now.

The Top 10 Grid-Based Thinking Games (http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/2350.html)

(SpaceChem is at #2.)

2 of my favorites in Grid-Based thinking games: Desktop Dungeons and Tidalis.
But I have to agree, spacechem is the best.
Edit: I mean I agree with OP not to make it confusing.

twipps
10-10-2011, 12:39 PM
AAAGGGGHHHHH This game is harder than my Organic Chem class D; !

PieceOfMind
10-10-2011, 10:15 PM
My sentiments exactly too. Best puzzle game I've ever played and this is the first thing I write in my Steam recommendation. :)

Also, further to CtrlAltDestroy's review on gamefaqs, as well as programming skills much of the concepts used in the game are from what I think is called Process Management (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_management). It's no wonder IMO that it took an engineer to come up with a game like this.

Whiplashr
10-11-2011, 12:32 AM
I bought this game back sometime in the spring, when it was on sale. It looked interesting to me from the videos, and I believe it was 50% off at the time. Seemed worth a gamble.

And now.. something like 6 months later, I have about 75 hours into this game, and return to it over and over again.

It's the most creative game I've ever played. And I mean that more than it having a creative design. It also allows you to be creative.

Anyone who has done any programming should instantly feel similarity in this game. The way you construct self sustaining, infinitely repeating loops. The moving and manipulating of molecules is very similar to manipulating streams of data in a program.

It's not just a puzzle game. It's practically it's own programming language. And it's art.

I honestly feel it's the best puzzle game I've ever played in 30 years of gaming. I spend so much time fine tuning old puzzles, and trying new solutions. It's just fantastic.

It's just so damn satisfying when you create a system that works.

Exactly.. Especially a big 4-5 multi-reactor solution. It's a truly visceral feeling of accomplishment and pride. You've created something that is almost alive.

Fluiq
10-11-2011, 04:13 AM
Exactly.. Especially a big 4-5 multi-reactor solution. It's a truly visceral feeling of accomplishment and pride. You've created something that is almost alive.

Yes this is great, I got the game for 2 days now and I have played it for 7 hours now, I didn't even realize I was playing that long.
I think the biggest solution for me was with 4 reactors now.

I don't go forward in the game very fast cause I keep thinking back about earlier solutions, and how I can make them better with the techniques I've learned by solving other puzzles.

I don't mind though, yesterday I created a crappy but working solution, and I kept coming with solutions, even without thinking about the problem, I realized i did some very stupid things to solve some puzzles.

First few puzzles I got quit a good score (http://spacechem.net/solution/sleepless-on-sernimir-iv/25308).
But later I had way too many cycles and symbols, I just have to fix my older solutions before I can go further into the game.

Which is what I love about this game, it can be very frustrating but motivating and when you solve something, even if its crappy, its just so damn satisfying to see it finally work.

Edit: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596950510626682034/6B4B1C368AC4E2C270BC4425DCC9DCA28A8D1B9C/
So satisfying to see you can do something so much more efficient once you got a working solution.
Once you know what problems you can run into, like in which spot the last reactor drops something off can make your second reactor a lot simpler (like dropping it off exactly on a bonder)

iteration2
10-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Agreed.
..It's just that I'm way too dumb to figure it out within 15 minutes.

Don't worry. Everyone is too dumb to figure out most SpaceChem levels in 15 minutes. Wait till you see Omega-PseudoEthyne. That one had me stumped for about 3 weeks.