PDA

View Full Version : Tech level and enemy ships

thedfo
10-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Okay, so I seem to find myself in a difficult position, and have some questions.

Where I am in the story (looking to have the Clockwork refit after getting the parts for the Titan Beam), I am usually in ~tech lvl 30 systems, and I am 41, but I keep losing all my Rez and Goons because my ships keep dieing. WHile in a hard battle (against a station, or maybe multiple large ships) my main vessel (a grinder) will only die once, the rest of my fleet will each die 3-4 times at least (colts, with standard shields, heavy armor, and shield booster). This means every time I run into an even remotely difficult engagement, I have to go and grind out more rez and goons. And sometimes my ships just die too fast and I can't do anything because I'm against multiple large ships, and I only have one large ship and two smalls.

Is there something I'm missing? I mean, should a system that is 3/4 of my tech level be real easy?

Corvus Corax
10-10-2011, 01:49 PM
What difficulty level are you playing on and what build are you going for?

I'm just slightly ahead of you (Insane difficulty), having just gotten the refit (at level 42), using a Crawler and two Colts (cannon build). So far, it appears doable, if challenging.

The heavy armor on your Colts may be slowing them down too much. I haven't really paid too much attention to system tech levels, but, so far, I've found combat to be manageable with the cannon build. Though I've lost plenty of ships. This is the first time I've done a run-through since the .05 patch so I don't know how things will play out quite yet.

thedfo
10-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I think my problem is I am doing a beam build, and all of the early beams do little hull damage. I'm trying to do a beam/missile build.

And I'm playing on normal.

I also posted the first post right before I did upgrade the mothership by defeating jamison, and so I was at possibly the worst time, going against a bunch of large ships with only a large and two smalls.

Also, do beams get better (vs hull/armor)? Because right now, I just demolish shields (especially now that I just unlocked the drain beam, or whatever it is called).

Corvus Corax
10-10-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't know if beams get better because I've yet to try a beam build. I'll give it a try on the next run-through.

Mad_yojik
10-13-2011, 02:24 AM
I don't know if beams get better because I've yet to try a beam build. I'll give it a try on the next run-through.
They do, especially fusion beam (but its close-combat weapon compared with focus emitter). In fact mid-game is worst time to fly a beam build in my experience, not much later you will get nice and shiny leech and ion beams, which have a nasty side effects on enemy ships, though until you get fusion beam its easier to stick to disruptor cannons or torpedoes as your main DPS weapons, and use leeches/ions as support, its much more effective in my opinion then pure beam/cannon/missile builds.

blorf
10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
The Fusion Beam in our minds is a chainsaw. Short range, but if it gets close, then its all over.

thedfo
10-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Now that I am way past that, I think there were two problems:
1) I went beams/missiles. Both tend not to hit the really great weapons until after where I was (Fusion doesn't show up until the core, and, IMO, missiles don't get that much stronger with higher level load outs because the higher level load outs are either SRMs, which seem kinda bugged, or gravity missiles, which don't do much damage)
2) I hadn't really grinded specifically for equipment upgrades, so I didn't even have the wonderful utility beams of Ion and Leech.

Those two lead to two comments, more or less for the devs:
1) When I say SRMs seem bugged, it's because they don't seem to seek very well. A lot of times I'd shoot at a ship, and like half of them just flew off in random directions. I could understand a lot of them missing vs little ships, but unless I was right on top of the enemy, enough tended to miss that standard missiles where better. And yes, I realize they are "Short Range Missiles," but I figured that meant they would self destruct sooner than regular missiles.
2) It just seems like there should be some equipment (don't know about cannons, but engines, missiles, beams, and shields) in between the standard and the mid level. Or maybe the issue is that the mid level (yellow, forget what it's called) aren't straight improvements, but weapons that actually work differently, such as SRMs, the unturnable inertial engines, and leech and ion beams. Oh, but I did not even get the yellow shields until after I got fortress shields, so maybe that should be in high level systems outside the core, so you don't have to go in the core with lvl 2 shields, and the core being where you need shields the most.

That Happy Cat
10-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Remember that higher level does not necessarily mean better, the way SPAZ tech is designed everything (except most of the surplus equipment) have their place. The Gravity Missiles are excellent for disabling enemy ships, and the Hunter SRM not only seeks out cloaked ships but also (IIRC) deal Ion damage, which decimates shields. If you're after damage however, Torpedoes or just good old Missiles will give you the punch you need.

blorf
10-14-2011, 11:53 AM
This is true. Higher level is options mostly, and not really better. Just different and expanded possibilities.

thedfo
10-14-2011, 05:43 PM
This is true. Higher level is options mostly, and not really better. Just different and expanded possibilities.

Yeah, I didn't really realize that. I was thrown off by the part earlier in the game (tutorial?) where the various people talk about how bad the surplus stuff is, and you should upgrade.

I guess it's just the surplus->standard that is, more or less, a straight buff, everything else is different.

Darkard
10-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Its easier to notice the Sideways upgrade of Military to Improved/Advanced if you look at Shields, Engines and Reactors. All have downsides and improvemants over the Military Grade equipment.