PDA

View Full Version : Blocking with something other than sheild

kill_krazy13
10-10-2011, 07:42 PM
After watching the gameplay trailer for the 3rd time now i just realized that you never see him block with anything other than the shield. Anyone know if this was just the way he happened to be playing or can you only block with a shield? That would put quite a dampner on my idea of rocking some dual axes if i cant even block with em......

ATP.Malatov
10-10-2011, 07:52 PM
If I remember, its sword and shield or two handed weapons. I could be wrong though.

pimpmafuqa
10-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm sure there's perks and skills you could go into that make it so you can block with duel wield weapons, or some sort of damage absorption.

You can always put a few skill points into magic so you can cast a magical shield on you, a little impractical but hell at least you got your double axes. kill things faster so they do less damage on you so you don't NEED a shield.

sloop1138
10-11-2011, 05:19 AM
You could block with weapons in Oblivion. I doubt that they'll remove that feature, espically since you can weild 2 weapons now. If I recall, when you blocked with a weapon in Oblivion you still took some damage, just not nearly as much as if you didn't block.

JohnnyFronthole
10-11-2011, 06:15 AM
I was thinking the same thing as I watched several of the videos yesterday. I'll probably go sword/magic and, while I intend to use magic for protection, it just seems wrong to take one attack after another without blocking or parrying.

I've seen nothing in the game play videos that indicates any kind of blocking without a shield. Perhaps, as it was suggested, some perks may open up the possibility.

Still, with the way they beefed up bow damage and stealth, and enhanced the magic system, I imagine I'll only use a melee weapon to finish the job. Though, you've kinda turned me on to the idea of using an axe for that instead of a sword.

PS. I haven't sounded like this much of a nerd in years. I already love this game :)

[edit] Oh, and this:

You could block with weapons in Oblivion. I doubt that they'll remove that feature, espically since you can weild 2 weapons now. If I recall, when you blocked with a weapon in Oblivion you still took some damage, just not nearly as much as if you didn't block.

sounds reasonable.

pure_heart
10-11-2011, 06:33 AM
I am totally with you on this!! Not being able to parry in any game, is **** for brains.

After watching the gameplay trailer for the 3rd time now i just realized that you never see him block with anything other than the shield. Anyone know if this was just the way he happened to be playing or can you only block with a shield? That would put quite a dampner on my idea of rocking some dual axes if i cant even block with em......

kill_krazy13
10-11-2011, 02:22 PM
i had just assumed that one hand would be one mouse button and the other hand would be the other, looking at the pics of the manual seems like there pretty much sticking with the way it worked in oblivion with one side being attack and one being block.Good to know my crazed nord barbarian wont finish the game looking like he went through a cheese grader.

Fuzzylemons
10-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Found out today that you can block but only if you time it right, just before an enemy hits so you cant hide behind your shield all day

Silvernis
10-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I was under the impression that we won't be able to block without a shield -- in other words, no more parrying. :eek: This is all kinds of stupid, IMO, so I'm hoping I either got my info mixed up, or, if it's true, that Beth (or the modders) fix it.

Cobalt2202
10-11-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm sure they thought of the possibility if you never had a shield, couldn't afford it, or you are more leaned towards two handed weapons like the pole arms...

OurSacrifice
10-12-2011, 03:26 AM
Only sword and shield can block.
Two handed weapon users can parry.

Dual wielding characters cannot do either.

-=Fexxe=-
10-12-2011, 04:33 AM
I hope you can block with claymore swords and 2h axes plus maces, but in the case of dual wielding weapons, you deal hopefully, way more damage and you're constantly on the offensive, thus no parrying.

In Oblivion I always had my claymore ready to use, but when things got heavy I pressed my "Oh ♥♥♥♥" key mapped 1h and shield :P

Catgoth
10-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Why wouldn't you want to use a sheid? Now that they made it a weapon, you can block arrows and sheild bash your enemies! I might actually roll one this time around. Shame there aren't spears, or I'd go full Spartan Nord. :)

I'm sure they probably included the ability to block with other weapons, it's probably just not as effective or easy as a sheild.