PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim Manual Leaked: Mercenaries and Cooking Revealed!

TheFourthSniper
10-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Mercenaries are making a return in Skyrim, if an allegedly leaked Skyrim manual is to be believed. The manual, leaked in a series of photos, reveals that players will be able to hire characters, or "Hirelings," in taverns to aid them in combat and carry items. The last time this mechanic was used in an Elder Scrolls game was Morrowind: Tribunal. "Friends" will also fight alongside you and lighten your load, and you can do the same, accepting gifts from them. Friends and Hirelings will be capable of following rudimentary commands such as attacking a specific enemy, using objects in the world, opening doors or containers, picking up items, or waiting patiently for your valiant return.

The manual also mentions the Cooking skill, stating "Cooking pots allow you to prepare food items that provide various temporary effects. Each recipe requires specific culinary ingredients that can be found throughout Skyrim."

There is also a new social option to supplement Persuade, Intimidate and Bribe. Brawl, the new option, initiates a fistfight with whomever you're trying to interrogate. If you win, they'll talk. If you use a weapon during the brawl, then you'll be committing a crime. This might actually make the unarmed skill useful in some capacity.

The manual looks legitimate given some of the screenshots included, though we're waiting on confirmation from Bethesda.

Source: IGN http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/1199499

sloop1138
10-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Source: IGN http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/1199499

This is good news. And I guess if it's legit, it doesn't surprise me a lot. It seems they're using a lot of the good mechanics from Fallout 3 and New Vegas in general. The companions appear to be filling the same role and the cooking sounds a lot like making things with the survival skill in NV.

TheFourthSniper
10-11-2011, 11:19 AM
This is good news. And I guess if it's legit, it doesn't surprise me a lot. It seems they're using a lot of the good mechanics from Fallout 3 and New Vegas in general. The companions appear to be filling the same role and the cooking sounds a lot like making things with the survival skill in NV.

Agreed. While I don't think I put a single point into Survival in NV, I'm glad we're going to be getting companions of some kind, even if they aren't the fantastic rogue's gallery NV had.

sloop1138
10-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Agreed. While I don't think I put a single point into Survival in NV, I'm glad we're going to be getting companions of some kind, even if they aren't the fantastic rogue's gallery NV had.

I think the only points I put into it were to meet the requirements for one of the perks. I'm always pumped about companions in these kind of games. I'm sure with the setting and epicness Skyrim will surely have, I'll get the feeling at least once of watching Hercules with his buddy Iolaus way back in the day.

Psychological
10-11-2011, 11:25 AM

"I punch things"
"I shoot things with a sniper rifle"

MEANWHILE: IN SKYRIM
"I carry things"
"I carry things, but I also make witty oneliners, too!"

pimpmafuqa
10-11-2011, 11:37 AM
It would be nice if the companions you acquired had a little bit of back story too them like in Fallout: New Vegas. Not just some crappy random generated companion you don't care about dieing.

Especially if the companions were like faction based and you could get evil companions or good companions. woop.

Lone_Sword
10-11-2011, 02:11 PM
That lock-picking games looks a lot less annoying then the previous one :D

Psychological
10-11-2011, 02:27 PM
It would be nice if the companions you acquired had a little bit of back story too them like in Fallout: New Vegas. Not just some crappy random generated companion you don't care about dieing.

Especially if the companions were like faction based and you could get evil companions or good companions. woop.

They could go the DnD route, where if you let your hirelings die, others will be less likely to join you later on.

Sarena89
10-11-2011, 02:38 PM

Skeleton Key changed all that.;)

mangadrive
10-11-2011, 06:09 PM
As long as its not forced. I don't want AI doing anything for me. It just never pans out in modern games.

Pikmin-Rules
10-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I am going to cook the hell out of this dragon.

JohnnyFronthole
10-11-2011, 07:34 PM

No kidding. I hope it's as reasonable as it looks. I carried a lot of guilt around Oblivion for saving before every lock picking endeavor and then mashing auto pick hoping for a quick pick.

Lone_Sword
10-11-2011, 07:51 PM
No kidding. I hope it's as reasonable as it looks. I carried a lot of guilt around Oblivion for saving before every lock picking endeavor and then mashing auto pick hoping for a quick pick.

Exactly. I understand someone could just get the Skeleton Key or get really good at hearing that click(I'm not about to dedicate a ton of time to get good at a mini-game within a game), but the core lock-picking itself is a very uninteresting concept. I hope this one will be better, as I'm playing a thieving archer for the first time :D

Cobalt2202
10-11-2011, 08:04 PM
They should hurry up and leak the PC requirements....

dannythefool
10-11-2011, 11:06 PM
MEANWHILE: IN SKYRIM
"I carry things"
"I carry things, but I also make witty oneliners, too!"

Sounds like Cass to me ;-)

OceanArtist
10-12-2011, 05:19 AM
of course we will get the return of the best companion ever

http://swg-ent.sakura.ne.jp/sblo_files/xlii/image/Oblivion202007-04-062000-52-16-90.jpg

Trodamus
10-12-2011, 06:59 AM
OH MAN ONE OF THE DIALOG OPTIONS IS BRAWL.

So instead of persuading, intimidating or bribing, you can feel that you put your unarmed skill to good use!

moonshire
10-12-2011, 07:56 AM
+1 To Adoring Fan HAHAHA

Psychological
10-12-2011, 03:27 PM

http://swg-ent.sakura.ne.jp/sblo_files/xlii/image/Oblivion202007-04-062000-52-16-90.jpg

Here? Right here? Not, say... Over there? No, Here?
Okay then! You're Grand Champion, whatever you say!

ChuckTesta
10-12-2011, 03:42 PM
You wonder how these people get their gritty hands on these things...

Psychological
10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
You wonder how these people get their gritty hands on these things...

"Favors"
For bethesda employees.

ChuckTesta
10-12-2011, 04:10 PM

Watch there a guy who is exactly like him who is even more annoying lol

Catgoth
10-12-2011, 04:42 PM

Supposedly it's a reprise of the lockpicking from Fallout, which is nice. That was an enjoyable lockpicking game and made more sense than Oblivions.

dannythefool
10-13-2011, 12:44 AM
I think the PC gamer hands-on described it as the lockpicking system from Fallout where you wiggle a pick and turn the lock. I didn't mind Oblivion's version (don't complain about Oblivion lockpicking until you've played Venetica) but Fallout's makes a lot more sense like Catgoth wrote.

Cobalt2202
10-13-2011, 03:58 AM
I wonder if there will be an annoying NPC like in Oblivion and Fallout, in Skyrim.

Also cooking, I like the idea. They seemed to have included a lot of lifestyle based features like farming..etc. around town, which is excellent. I don't just want to do quest and explore, I want to do jobs. I want to have a reason why I should be hunting those meats. Now I do... to cook for myself. I want to forge my own weapon. I want to make some extra money by doing works, not just quests or killing bandits or finding chests. Survival in the wild and as a lone traveler warrior, these are very nice features.

heaventorn
10-13-2011, 12:14 PM
So, cooking is basically potion brewing just copied and renamed and called a new feature? Oh and you use a pot.

Esternocleido
10-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Patrolling Skyrim Almost Makes You Wish For A Nuclear Summer.

Parrish
10-14-2011, 12:29 AM
So, Skyrim either will require or is best played with a controller. I saw no keyboard/mouse instructions. This is an X-Box game, not a PC game. Is this a port? I suppose it is going to be awful to actually play without a controller as most X-Box designed games are.

I'm glad I curbed my enthusiasm and didn't buy it. I'll wait for the reviews to see if it actually is playable with a keyboard/mouse. Witcher 2 turned out to be barely playable without a controller. I assume that is going to be true of Skyrim as well.

That's a pity.

Psychological
10-14-2011, 12:31 AM
So, Skyrim either will require or is best played with a controller. I saw no keyboard/mouse instructions. This is an X-Box game, not a PC game. Is this a port? I suppose it is going to be awful to actually play without a controller as most X-Box designed games are.

That's too bad.

Jesus, it's EVERYWHERE.
It's been developed for the Xbox 360 FROM DAY ONE.

dannythefool
10-14-2011, 12:59 AM
The leaked manual is the Xbox version's manual, why do you expect it to contain instructions for controlling it with a mouse on a PC?!

MrShooter
10-14-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm glad I curbed my enthusiasm and didn't buy it. I'll wait for the reviews to see if it actually is playable with a keyboard/mouse. Witcher 2 turned out to be barely playable without a controller. I assume that is going to be true of Skyrim as well.

That's a pity.

I don't know what the witcher 2 did to screw up PC controls so badly for you
I went on their wiki looking at the standard controls expecting some convoluted mess using arrow keys to move and a QWOP-style limb control for combat

Instead I find pretty standard looking WASD controls

If Skyrim's WASD controls for your character including shift to sprint, ctrl to sneak, jumping with space, hotkeys 1-0 for weapons and spells, activating each hand with the left and right mouse button and simple combat makes the game "barely playable without a controller", then yes skyrim is going to be a disaster

You see no PC instructions because this is the xbox manual, and it would be kind of weird of them to include PC controls

If a developer included PC, Xbox360, and PS3 controls in the same manual for all platforms they probably aren't a very good developer
I doubt even multiplatform family movie tie-in games have this problem

TheSagetEffect
10-15-2011, 06:06 PM

That's a pity.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 played just fine with a mouse/keyboard setup. I see no reason Skyrim shouldn't. And the Witcher 2 was entirely playable without a controller.

Codename36
10-19-2011, 02:41 AM

That's a pity.

You're an idiot.

Lone_Sword
10-19-2011, 10:12 AM

That's a pity.

Not to beat a dead horse...but do you realize that's the Xbox manual, right? It'd be like you assuming that they won't have good PS3 controls, based purely off of that manual.

Masterclown
10-19-2011, 10:24 AM
I am going to cook the hell out of this dragon.

LOLOL