PDA

View Full Version : Gundemonium Recollection scoring

viniciusvbf
10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
So, i would like some advice on how to make a decent score in Gundemonium Recollection. How exactly does the scoring system works?
Right now i'm playing on revised difficulty and my best score is 6,800,000, but i have no idea what i'm doing, i just play for survival.

pentarou
10-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I suggest this excellent guide (http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=15971). It doesn't go into any specifics, and it was written for the PSN version, but it goes something like this:

1. Don't die
2. Chain
3. Graze
4. Learn to Planeshift/D-shift strategically

I'm still working on #1, though, so maybe I can't help you out that much. :)

karterfreak
10-13-2011, 04:12 PM
^

There's a lot more to scoring than you mention there, gems being a LARGE part of it.

This is my own personal hate towards high scorers coming out here, but if you want your high score to actually mean something, try actually getting a higher score than someone else who also understands how the scoring works themselves. AKA: Don't skim out on the details just because you're going for the #1 leaderboard spot.

The best suggestion I can give is watch some videos of unlimited score attacks. You'll start to get an idea of how scoring in the game works better by watching someone score than you will from an explanation on the forums.

I highly recommend these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=512ddE6r9VQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odDntTRi43M

They'll give you an idea of what you want to try and be doing to score.

Miraglyth
10-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Here's an assortment of things I've been able to find out from crunching a few numbers on my own videos.

For the score list shown at the end of each area:

The list changes. For boss areas (1D, 2D, 3D, 4C, 4D and 5) the list includes Bombs Left and Time Left. For field areas (the others) it instead shows Shot Down.

The important stat is Total Bonus, shown at the bottom. This is what gets added to your score.

Total Bonus is Basic Bonus x Magnify.
Magnify is Max Hits + Gems + Friction up to a maximum of 999.
Basic Bonus in boss areas is Bombs Left x Time Left x Phase Level.
Basic Bonus in field areas seems to relate to Phase Level and Shot Down.

The other items (Bombs, Time, Phase Level, Shot Down, Max Hits, Gems, Friction) are all self-explanatory and generally shown on the UI at all times.

At the very bottom of the screen, a stat called Max Gem Points pops up. This stat starts at 1000 and grows by your Basic Bonus at the end of each area. I'm not sure what it has to do with Gems.

Not knowing everything yet, I don't know exactly what this means for scoring potential.

The most obvious points are that a hit, a gem and a point of friction are all worth the same, but that still doesn't help as they can't be compared directly. For example if moving toward a cluster of gems means you can't shoot an enemy, that enemy would have boosted Shot Down and potentially given an Onslaught Bonus too so it's hard to use what I know to decide.

What I can point out is that while Gems and Max Hits reset after each area, Friction only resets after each chapter. As such, friction gained in A-C areas contributes to your score multiple times, the earlier the better (A=4x, B=3x, C=2x).

Addition: The end-of-game score screen is its own list and is more a general statistics screen with items that don't contribute to the score (e.g. maximum combo or deaths). It also has stats for Enemies Defeated and Gems Acquired, and I've noticed these do not correspond to the sum of the Shot Down and Gems stats (respectively) from all of the areas.

For example in one run the total Gems shown in my 17 area scores was 4301, but the end-of-game screen noted Gems Acquired as 6080. Similarly the 11 field areas totalled 657 Shot Down (which wouldn't include bosses), but the endgame screen only showed 503 Enemies Defeated. I'm not sure why they are so different.

Kyper
10-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Although I'm sure everyone has probably figured this out by now, I'll try to explain gem scoring as best I can:

First, aside from your counter that shows you the gems collected in each sub-area, you also have 2 invisible values. One is your Current Gem Points (let's call it Current GP) and your Max Gem Points (Max GP). When you start the game, your current GP is set to 10 and your Max GP is set to 1000 (think it might be different for Demonic Challenge/Matrix Orders if you're into milking =/ ).

There are 3 kinds of gems: Big green gems (manual calls them Mana gems, I suppose I'll do the same from now on), small green gems (aka green gems), and blue gems.

Mana Gems appear after destroying enemies, and these grant you points depending on your current GP. So, starting at 10 at the beginning of the game, you get 10 points added to your score (you'll see the number 10 appear on your character when you collect it). But also, your current GP rises by 10 points. What this means is that when you collect another Mana gem, you'll get 20 points added to your score, your current GP will rise to 30 and so on...until you hit your max GP. Once you hit your max GP, your current GP stops rising and the points added to your score will be shown in red font. Oh, and as the name says, Mana gems give you mana!

Blue Gems appear from enemy bullets when you cancel them out with either a bomb or getting hit while in Demonic Shift. You will automatically collect them once you do any of these two things. Like Mana gems, grant your current GP to your score and recover mana. But unlike Mana gems, Blue gems REDUCE your current GP by 10. This certainly discourages bombing if you're playing for score, but remember that there are usually more bullets than enemies on the screen, so triggering Blue gems can get your score up faster at the cost of your current GP. Useful for getting an extend if you're in a pinch!

Green Gems always give you Phase Level * 10 points (the manual says Phase * 10 GEMS but I think that's an error). They also don't recover mana. Kinda useful if you want to up your Magnify bonus 'cause Green gems usually come in mass numbers. Bullets will be cancelled out into these when you use/cancel a Demonic Shift, beat a named enemy, or when your time runs out in a sub-area.

At the stats report at every sub-area end, your Max Gem Points will increase and the new value will be displayed at the bottom right. I believe your new Max GP value is based on your Phase Level, but I don't know the details (comparing Area 1-A, it looks like Demonic's Max GP increases much more than Novice). It will keep rising until the end of the game or until it hits 10000 (possible to get at Stage 3 on Demonic).

Is there a way to generate more Mana gems? That's where Demonic Shift comes into play. While in Demonic Shift, enemies generate more gems than usual (don't know if there's an exact multiplier). I believe named enemies are also affected by this. So using Shifts and blasting away everything will get you gems, but doesn't Demonic Shift reduce your life by 1? Well, if you get your current GP high enough, you'll be able to collect lots of points to get those extends necessary to keep those Shifts going! And if you're in a pinch, using a bomb/getting hit in Shift with lots of bullets on the screen will generate lots of Blue gems if you need a quick extend to get past a certain section or whatever.

Also some random stuff: since Novice difficulty can't make use of DShifts, not bombing in order to not reduce your current GP would probably be the key to scoring, in addition to killing stuff and area/boss bonuses of course.

Named enemy defeat bonuses seem to be based on time and phase level. Playing with the first Stage 1 named enemy, it looks like if I took my time, the enemy defeat bonus seemed to gradually reduce. Also, looking at the Unlimited video in the links above, the player gets the phase level really high for the last encounter with Daath, and then gets a nice 50+ mil bonus at the end (Phase Level doesn't affect Daath's pattern by the way). On Demonic with Phase Level 11, I got like 10+ mil or so. Guess this neat trick is something for Unlimited players to use...

tl;dr: gems are shiny

Miraglyth
10-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Although I'm sure everyone has probably figured this out by now,
The bit about blue gems being what reduces the GP is new to me. I was looking into this myself and couldn't figure out the specifics of it.

The explanation of Max Gem Points really helps too.

At the stats report at every sub-area end, your Max Gem Points will increase and the new value will be displayed at the bottom right. I believe your new Max GP value is based on your Phase Level, but I don't know the details (comparing Area 1-A, it looks like Demonic's Max GP increases much more than Novice). It will keep rising until the end of the game or until it hits 10000 (possible to get at Stage 3 on Demonic).
I covered that - the growth is equal to the Basic Bonus displayed. Phase Level is probably a component of Basic Bonus so it follows that it'd rise faster in higher difficulties.

Basic Bonus in non-boss areas is the main thing I want to solve now. I'm not convinced Phase Level and Shot Down are the only factors as I've found two scores to compare where the PLs are identical, but the one with the higher Shot Down has a lower BB. I'll keep looking into it.

So using Shifts and blasting away everything will get you gems, but doesn't Demonic Shift reduce your life by 1? Well, if you get your current GP high enough, you'll be able to collect lots of points to get those extends necessary to keep those Shifts going!
Yeah, the playthroughs of Demonic (or even Unlimited) that get ridiculous 60+ million scores using DS almost perpetually, with the score income seemingly making it impossible to run out of lives. By the looks of things, getting hit out of DS doesn't cost another life either.

Also some random stuff: since Novice difficulty can't make use of DShifts, not bombing in order to not reduce your current GP would probably be the key to scoring
Fun part about that is you can't choose to not bomb when you get hit.

Named enemy defeat bonuses seem to be based on time and phase level.
I'm not so sure about time, phase level almost definitely. I'd expect each boss form has its own multiplier too given how wildly the defeat bonuses can change (thusfar it seems to me that Phaser's first form gives very very little).

Other minor note is that the last boss form of each chapter appears to give no defeat bonus.

Kyper
10-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Now that I'm playing Unlimited (currently 2nd place on an early run where I died to Daath, eeeww!), I realized something about phase level. I guess it should be noted that if you ever get your phase level past 11, at the end of every sub-area it will go back down to 11. Further, 11 is the highest phase level that is calculated within the sub-area bonus, although it seems to be factored into Defeat Bonus as seen with the Daath 50+ mil bonus.