PDA

View Full Version : Help! My windows profile is gone

clicheispasse
10-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Okay, so last night my computer was working perfectly fine. Then around 3 AM I went to go to sleep, and when I woke up it had restarted due to a Windows Update. So, naturally, my logon screen was up - typed in my password, but it went straight into a 'guest' profile. As soon as everything was loaded, I got a pop-up window on the taskbar saying the following:

You have logged on a temporary profile.

You cannot access your files and files created on this profile will be deleted when you log off. To fix this, log off and try logging on later. Please see the even log for details or contact your system administrator.

So, I went ahead and looked at my Event Log, and these are some of the things that show up

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile.

However, I'm seeing a lot of errors with MSE after the Windows Update. Could that be the culprit? And how do I go about fixing this?

WeKnowHowToLive
10-13-2011, 12:46 PM
What happens when you restart in safe mode and try logging in as your main account or admin account and do a system restore?

If you cant do that, there is a more complicated route in which you could download Bart PE and either do a system restore by renaming and moving some registry files, or by taking the user file and rebuilding the profile.

lazy6pyro
10-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Rename your profile to *profile*.old (C:\Users), go into registry and delete the .bak for your SID (HKEYLM>Microsoft>Windows NT>Current Version>Profile List). Relogging in should recreate your profile. Reboot and log in as built-in Admin. Delete the profle you created, and rename *profile*.old back to your name. Reboot, and log in under that profile.

clicheispasse
10-13-2011, 12:55 PM
What happens when you restart in safe mode and try logging in as your main account or admin account and do a system restore?

If you cant do that, there is a more complicated route in which you could download Bart PE and either do a system restore by renaming and moving some registry files, or by taking the user file and rebuilding the profile.

I haven't tried logging on in safe mode yet - is a system restore the only solution?

Rename your profile to *profile*.old (C:\Users), go into registry and delete the .bak for your SID (HKEYLM>Microsoft>Windows NT>Current Version>Profile List). Relogging in should recreate your profile. Reboot and log in as built-in Admin. Delete the profle you created, and rename *profile*.old back to your name. Reboot, and log in under that profile.

I deleted the .bak profile already, and tried logging on my real account after a reboot, but it only took me back to this profile.

I also tried to change the name of my profile to what you said, but windows kept saying that the profile is current being used.

WeKnowHowToLive
10-13-2011, 12:58 PM
I dont know that system restore is the only option, you could do what I said with rebuilding the profile from safemode or Bart PE. Why cant you do a restore to before Windows updated overnight?

clicheispasse
10-13-2011, 01:34 PM
I dont know that system restore is the only option, you could do what I said with rebuilding the profile from safemode or Bart PE. Why cant you do a restore to before Windows updated overnight?

I'm doing the system restore right now. However, when I logged in under my account in the system restore, it was the 'temporary' account layout, not my real account. What could have caused this?

rotNdude
10-13-2011, 02:59 PM
What could have caused this?

A corrupt profile generally means the OS didn't properly save the information or the event didn't allow the OS to save the settings properly.

clicheispasse
10-13-2011, 03:01 PM
I did the system restore, and I'm back on my real profile. Since I went back to 2 nights ago, the Windows Update had to be applied again - I went through with it, rebooted, and everything was fine.

Thank you for your help.

Also, rotNdude, couldn't that happen if the lights go out? Because I've had power outages before, but this never happened.

rotNdude
10-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Also, rotNdude, couldn't that happen if the lights go out? Because I've had power outages before, but this never happened.

A power outage in the middle of an update can cause all kinds of issues. So, short answer is yes.