PDA

View Full Version : Sigh, A Console Port

Parrish
10-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Title says it all. Leaked manual is clear that Skyrim is a port to PC.

It'll be months before this game is genuinely playable on PC.

dannythefool
10-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Hm? The leaked manual is from the Xbox version... I would expect it to look like it's for a console title?

Warfunn.
10-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Its been a console port since day one. Nothing new lol

This_Guy
10-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Skyrim is no more designed for Xbox than Oblivion was. If you could deal with Oblivion, Skyrim shouldn't be an issue.

JiveTurkey
10-14-2011, 07:21 AM
Nothing new, most of the games now and days for PC are console ports. The only one that will not be a console port is Dice's BF3 which does a service for PC gamers, of course many of console gamers I have seen on forums discussing this are raging, and sighing like you are about Skyrim being a port.

The problem with it being a console port is that it's DX9, although it's been stated that a DX11 version or patch may be released, that is just speculation of course.

As Todd Howard said " “We get performance gains out of [DirectX 11], versus an older version, and there are specifics that [DirectX 11] does like tessellation and that kind of stuff; we aren’t taking advantage of that right now,”

He also said it looks better on PC, as you can increase the resolution. Which doesn't really make sense, as it's conflicted with Todd's statement about Skyrim looking the same on all three platforms.
Xbox 360 will get the DLC before anyone else, but PC a very active modding community.

OurSacrifice
10-14-2011, 08:02 AM
He also said it looks better on PC, as you can increase the resolution. Which doesn't really make sense, as it's conflicted with Todd's statement about Skyrim looking the same on all three platforms.
Xbox 360 will get the DLC before anyone else, but PC a very active modding community.

It doesn't conflict. He said that Skyrim on the console from 6 feet away should look similar to the PC version from like 18 inches away or whatever number he used. Everyone knows that low res textures are less noticable from across a living room.

He picked his words carefully, and it's very clear that the PC version is going to have higher resolution textures to compensate.

My only problem is that ALL footage shown has been the 360. I would like to see the PC interface functionality and performance.

JiveTurkey
10-14-2011, 08:30 AM
It doesn't conflict. He said that Skyrim on the console from 6 feet away should look similar to the PC version from like 18 inches away or whatever number he used. Everyone knows that low res textures are less noticable from across a living room.

He picked his words carefully, and it's very clear that the PC version is going to have higher resolution textures to compensate.

My only problem is that ALL footage shown has been the 360. I would like to see the PC interface functionality and performance.

So, when he said they may implement DX11 and tesselation later on. Do you think he meant in future games? That is what I took from it, others believe there may be some sort of patch.

Thaifun
10-14-2011, 08:57 AM
So, when he said they may implement DX11 and tesselation later on. Do you think he meant in future games? That is what I took from it, others believe there may be some sort of patch.

Skyrim will support DX11 for Performance gain, but the shaders etc.
were created for DX9.

And he doesn't mean they'll add features like Tesselation in their next games (although they probably will) but they might implement it later for Skyrim.

Source: http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3049109

JiveTurkey
10-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Skyrim will support DX11 for Performance gain, but the shaders etc.
were created for DX9.

And he doesn't mean they'll add features like Tesselation in their next games (although they probably will) but they might implement it later for Skyrim.

Source: http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3049109

Well, the problem with DX11 most computer and games don't run that. Sure there are some, but most of the games out for PC like I mentioned are console ports. So there are no reasons for it. Pretty much as DICE said " Consoles are holding back PC games." They need to come out with new generation of consoles so we can get some better games.

Warfunn.
10-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Well, the problem with DX11 most computer and games don't run that. Sure there are some, but most of the games out for PC like I mentioned are console ports. So there are no reasons for it. Pretty much as DICE said " Consoles are holding back PC games." They need to come out with new generation of consoles so we can get some better games.

Agreed, tried of getting games made to run on hardware 5 years old (However old PS3/360 are lol)

phillibl
10-14-2011, 09:33 AM
We do people always use the word port like it is bad? There is a difference between a port and a bad port. A bad port would be something that has crappy performance or the UI is not optimized. Skyrim will be a port, but it seems like they are definitely trying to cater the PC version to us, better textures, better UI, and the Creation Kit :)

JiveTurkey
10-14-2011, 10:07 AM
We do people always use the word port like it is bad? There is a difference between a port and a bad port. A bad port would be something that has crappy performance or the UI is not optimized. Skyrim will be a port, but it seems like they are definitely trying to cater the PC version to us, better textures, better UI, and the Creation Kit :)

Can't really use creation kit, cause that is a given. UI, not sure if it's good then that is great. If not then the modding community will fix it. Textures have already been said to be a little better.

I have been on other forums discussing this whining about this by PC gamers, " Oh this game is running on DX9 which is old tech from 2002 OMG this game is going to look like Xbox, PS3's version. I'm not buying this game! blah blah." this is coming from PC users.

Although, not letting console gamers off the hook here. They were whining just as bad when they heard that DICE wasn't catering to their consoles and giving them the port of BF3, and making their player maps 24 instead of 64. Whiners on both side of the field.

Although, DX11 would be wonderful for Skyrim I have to say. Perhaps something on Crysis UDK engine would be sweet. What I want to see in the game besides just better textures on Beths part is.

Dynamic clothing, hair, and trees. ( Moving in the wind.)
Better AI. I know you could up the difficulty, but I found the AI in vanilla Oblivion to be lacking. It wasn't till I added Deadly Reflex mod that it became more interesting/entertaining.
Better NPCs: This has already been stated, as they have their own little jobs like lumberjacks. Should have their interesting things to talk about. (Got boring hearing everyone talk about the same mudcrab they met over and over again.)
More voice actors: Already stated, 70 voice actors. ( I want a orc voiced by Samuel L Jackson...probably not going to happen.)

Thaifun
10-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Can't really use creation kit, cause that is a given.

It's a given?!

Seriously, be thankful to Bethesda, they're pretty much the only big company out there, that supports their PC community to such an extend.

Sure we probably get a port.
Oblivion was a port, that's just how the industry works
nowadays.
As long as we have some dedicated developers like Bethesda, I think we should at least show some gratitude, instead of going bananas over a leaked 360 manual and no DX11 features from the start.

Psychological
10-14-2011, 11:44 AM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2105204

Oh look, A thread from a MONTH ago stating all this.

Something about mOLDy gOLD best served on a cOLD pLATE

OurSacrifice
10-14-2011, 02:05 PM

Ports are bad. Nobody wants a port. PC gamers want a product that's built to utilize their hardware correctly. They don't want a game that looks "good" but could have been so much better had the developer taken the time to simply add in PC exclusive features.

Cobalt2202
10-14-2011, 05:29 PM
If a PC manual shows Xbox 360 controls, it's surely a console port...

Psychological
10-14-2011, 10:23 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2105204

Oh look, A thread from a MONTH ago stating all this.

Something about mOLDy gOLD best served on a cOLD pLATE

If a PC manual shows Xbox 360 controls, it's surely a console port...

READ THE THREAD, PL0X.

NorthernKingdom
10-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Title says it all. Leaked manual is clear that Skyrim is a port to PC.

It'll be months before this game is genuinely playable on PC.

Welcome to 2007?

Seriously did PC gamers expect a multiplatform Bethesda game to be anything but a console port in 2011?

PC gamers do yourself a favor, wait a couple of months, some patches, and for mods to make the game playable just like Oblivion was.:D

NorthernKingdom
10-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Ports are bad. Nobody wants a port. PC gamers want a product that's built to utilize their hardware correctly. They don't want a game that looks "good" but could have been so much better had the developer taken the time to simply add in PC exclusive features.

Meh I dunno about that. Many bad console console ports are in the Steam top sellers routinely. PC gamers basically accept anything now even if some don't and complain about it on forums. Even the people who supposedly don't accept console ports continue to buy them anyway as though repeating the same act will change the outcome. Check out Rage, Brink, Call of Duty for good examples of this.

Kemchimikemkem
10-14-2011, 11:08 PM

Todd Howard is a PR maestro. I'm glad they've got someone like him rather than a Peter Molyneux, who builds up false expectations. He's said a few times they demo the game on 360 so when people see the PC version it'll be better, not worse. Over-met expectations, not shattered dreams.

trojanrabbit.gg
10-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Todd Howard already confirmed on several occasions that the PC version will be getting higher resolution textures, and better visuals. Don't make assumptions about the game just yet. And even if the game is on the slight side of console porting, fear not for mods are already being planned out ahead of release. You will be able to mod Skyrim to your hearts content, something that cannot be said about the console crowd.

Cobalt2202
10-15-2011, 04:59 AM
READ THE THREAD, PL0X.

HELLO???? This is what I meant. I know the leaked manual is for Xbox 360. But I've noticed some PC games have manuals that includes Xbox 360 controls for some reason. I don't know if it is because it supports PC controller, or it's just a console port. Yeah, they port manuals too. Save some printing budget on their part.

Psychological
10-15-2011, 10:50 AM
HELLO???? This is what I meant. I know the leaked manual is for Xbox 360. But I've noticed some PC games have manuals that includes Xbox 360 controls for some reason. I don't know if it is because it supports PC controller, or it's just a console port. Yeah, they port manuals too. Save some printing budget on their part.

Sarcasm requires a /sarcasm tag at the end of your post :D

TheSagetEffect
10-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Console port or not, I think it'll still be playable. Things have advanced since Oblivion.

Of course, being a Bethesda game means that with all of those hours of gameplay comes hundreds of bugs. But look on the bright side; we get a command console and don't have to wait for patches for them.