PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim "Pre Release" Lore Summary

giskarduk
10-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Hello all

I know most Elder Scrolls players do not care to read lore books but a little lore often makes a game more enjoyable.

So I have summarized some of the key lore points from older Skyrim lore and added notes on how some of it affects TES5: Skyrim. I think even the average TES fan will enjoy the read.

I have left out the long winded parts, this really is just a summary.

The research notes with links to the source material have been posted in my own forum but you need to register to see them.

Skyrim Lore Summary
http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=140:skyrim-lore-summery-before-tes5-skyrims-release&catid=11&Itemid=106

Skyrim Lore Notes
http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/592-skyrim-chat-thread-v/page__st__140__p__10673#entry10673

Enjoy

serphet
10-16-2011, 09:55 AM
good read, thanks for this.

giskarduk
10-19-2011, 04:42 AM
Not a lot of players caring about the game lore i see.

No real surprise there, been making lore mods for a long time for Oblivion and whilst players like audio books explaining lore, they hate reading lore.

thorrium
10-19-2011, 05:15 AM
thank you for the first link... though I wasn't able to enter the second.

Lore 4 the win

sloop1138
10-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Not a lot of players caring about the game lore i see.

No real surprise there, been making lore mods for a long time for Oblivion and whilst players like audio books explaining lore, they hate reading lore.

I love lore in games. I just enjoy it more when I read it while exploring the game world and finding things out as I go. To me it's part of the experience of playing through the game. Thanks for the links though for the players who like to know ahead of time! +rep

Synavix
10-19-2011, 08:05 AM
I read thru most of it; I was actually even looking for something like it when I saw your topic, I just never really got around to posting here to thank you until now. Well done.

Masterclown
10-19-2011, 10:14 AM
How about a Lore/Note wiki (if one doesn't already exist) that open for public editing?

I think what you're trying to do is a great idea, but the sheer number of subjects to write about would make this a heck of a project for one person.

Delicieuxz
10-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks, but we can't read the second link without signing up. Can you post what it says here?

Kiya
10-19-2011, 10:22 AM
How about a Lore/Note wiki (if one doesn't already exist) that open for public editing?

I think what you're trying to do is a great idea, but the sheer number of subjects to write about would make this one heck of a project for one person.

There's a lore section as part of the Elder Scrolls Wiki (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page) you could check out if you want to go more in depth.

Thanks for those links giskarduk, I'll certainly be having a good read through it to remind myself of all the main points before I play Skyrim. It looks like you have done a great job there.

giskarduk
10-19-2011, 02:57 PM
I stand corrected, looks like some folk do like the lore, good to know :)

If anybody wants me to post the full notes here I will, currently they are on my forum.

When I make a lore mod, I do this kind of research first, the notes are usually interesting since it means the reader does not have to do the searching him self. But it is usually a lot to read.

The Summery in the first link is the highlights, but it leaves out stuff thats not skyrim related. Such as certain morrowind stories etc.

Cobalt2202
10-19-2011, 05:40 PM
I love reading books in Oblivion. Thanks for this.

Inarborat
10-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Foolishly skipped a lot of the lore in Oblivion and have wanted to read a bit to prepare myself for Skyrim. Thanks!

giskarduk
10-20-2011, 04:25 AM
Btw there is a lot of 1st Era Dwemer lore linked to Skyrim, the Dwemer and the Chimer together. In fact much of the hate the Nords of Skyrim feel for elves comes from the tricks played upon them by Elves from the region known as morrowind.

They have also announced Dwemer ruins will be in Skyrim :)
So we may see some cool stuff there, Dwemer are my favourite lost race :)

sloop1138
10-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Btw there is a lot of 1st Era Dwemer lore linked to Skyrim, the Dwemer and the Chimer together. In fact much of the hate the Nords of Skyrim feel for elves comes from the tricks played upon them by Elves from the region known as morrowind.

They have also announced Dwemer ruins will be in Skyrim :)
So we may see some cool stuff there, Dwemer are my favourite lost race :)

I loved any info I found about them in the game, and their armor and weapon style/appearance in Morrowind.

giskarduk
10-22-2011, 04:02 PM
From what I have been reading and have seen, Skyrim will be a marrage of Oblivion and Morrowind. I see a lot of reused stuff in the videos, stuff they hoped would go unnoticed, several comments reveal the same basic oblivion spawning system is used, especially for the random dragons.

So this may not be that different from what we saw in Oblivion, the difference should be the detail is richer which was morrowinds best point and oblivions worst.