PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to purchase in-game currency?

midnitecarnival
10-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Just wondering, before I spend the $ on extra broadband usage this month to download if it's going to be a waste of time and I'm going to have un-install again because I need to pull out a credit card to purchase in-game currency or items to play this game properly.

imperialus
10-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Just wondering, before I spend the $ on extra broadband usage this month to download if it's going to be a waste of time and I'm going to have un-install again because I need to pull out a credit card to purchase in-game currency or items to play this game properly.

In a word. No.

The currency you purchase is Gems. Gems can do a lot of nice things like accelerate training/research, buy elite units ect. You do receive gems through gameplay and if you're stingy with them then you'll never need to spend a penny. The elite units are nice, and they have their uses, but so far at least, I never really seem to need them even though I've picked up a few from boss battles, and the like.

The only time I can see that you might 'need' to buy gems is if you really, really suck at the game. If you are out of money, and out of units then you can spend gems to acquire more gold and iron to rebuild your army. You can avoid this though by being careful with your battles. Fight 1 shield raids until you get your tactics down, start with an infantry based army since they're easier to replace and read some of the strategy guides on the official forums.

I have dropped 10 bucks to buy some gems, but that was not out of any pressing need for them. To be honest IGM has entertained me more than a number of games I've dropped 40 or 50 bucks on so I wanted to support its continued development.

Joyce_ISOTX
10-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the explanation and the kind words imperialus :)

Anaximines
10-29-2011, 10:51 PM
If you like the game and can afford gems - buy them to support the Devs.

If you like the game but cannot afford gems, thank those who buy them - they help the Devs keep developing more content for us all.

BTW, I did buy some gems but suspect that the help it gives - like black market units - means I am not as good a tactical player as someone who did it the hard way.