PDA

View Full Version : cant turn while breaking

Cloud8521
10-19-2011, 02:37 AM
this is annoying me, when i break my car stops turning and continues straight. my wheels are turned but so log as im breaking i cant turn, making turning at the right speed a hassle anyone else notice that? or is it intended

Pete Danger
10-19-2011, 04:38 AM
this is annoying me, when i break my car stops turning and continues straight. my wheels are turned but so log as im breaking i cant turn, making turning at the right speed a hassle anyone else notice that? or is it intended

It is a general rule, only to brake when going in a straight line on the track.
You do not say what you are using, as far as braking is concerned.
Turning on ABS should cure what is happening. but not completely, as the general rule still applies.
You are most probably braking too hard and locking up...be gentle on the braking...you can brake in a corner; but have to be easy on the brakes.
If you are using a wheel and pedals in the game, a good way to help out is to set the brake pressure at low, you have to brake a little earlier of course.

JimmyMcNulty
10-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Don't brake while turning. You wear your tyres out faster and you slide.

You brake, turn in, then hit accelerate as soon as you feel safe enough that your exit won't be compromised.

Although it is sometimes difficult with some corners to do so, the 2nd to last corner in Malaysia being a good example.

Cloud8521
10-19-2011, 12:00 PM
It is a general rule, only to brake when going in a straight line on the track.
You do not say what you are using, as far as braking is concerned.
Turning on ABS should cure what is happening. but not completely, as the general rule still applies.
You are most probably braking too hard and locking up...be gentle on the braking...you can brake in a corner; but have to be easy on the brakes.
If you are using a wheel and pedals in the game, a good way to help out is to set the brake pressure at low, you have to brake a little earlier of course. i do have abs, and i do break while turning, i break just before, but i always break up until the first part of the turn its just it wont let me turn at all until i release, and the wheel never turns enough for me to make some corners unless i turn early leaving little time for breaking unless i break far too early.

Pete Danger
10-19-2011, 12:16 PM
@ Cloud.

It looks as if you are breaking a little too late, you must enter the corner with your foot off the brake; otherwise you will not turn into the corner correctly. It just takes practice; picking your right braking point for your style of driving. Braking later is quicker, but you must make sure you are on the racing line and as pointed out, you MUST be off the brake as you turn into the corner.
Best of luck.
Pete.

II Lagavulin II
10-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Sounds like you're just asking too much of your tyres at any time. They'll slow you down, turn you or accelerate you but like us simple men, they're useless at multi-tasking. If only tyres were female. ;)

Cloud8521
10-20-2011, 12:07 PM
i guess im too used to grid :P

worked perfectly in that

Elodens4
11-14-2011, 07:08 AM
But if you do watch any f1, you will see that they do actually brake while turning into the apex... Take Schumacher on Malaysia for instance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUM2_IamvbM

Yes as a general rule you brake before the turn so you maintain front tire grip and dont get nasty understeer but there are reasonable limits. The ammount of understeer you get when braking and turning in f1 2011 is pretty exaggerated =/. It's like the brake pedal is also connected to a steering disconnect button. Does anyone know if you can manage the understeer using actual pedals?

CDN_Merlin
11-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Dirt and F1 are completly different. In DIRT you are mostly sliding into corners.

JimmyMcNulty
11-14-2011, 09:20 AM
If you try to turn while braking, you will just go in a straight line.

I made this basic error trying to dodge a car that was parked in the middle of the track.

Kimohboda
11-14-2011, 11:41 AM
As a wheel enters a corner its undertaking a lot of stress. when you suddenly hit the brake, this stress will become too much, the tyre loses its grip on the tarmac which results in heavy understeer. The car is not able to turn anymore. But, there is a difference in the amount of braking. Before you enter a corner you setup the car for the corner: shifting down while you brake quiet heavy. When you enter the corner, you let go of the brake slowly searching for the optimal amount of stress the tyre can handle during the enrty of the corner. Its also called trailbraking. Make sure that as soon you arrived at the apex, you released the brake completely and give gas, which offcourse gives also stress to ythe tire. That's why its also impossible to go full gas trough a corner.