PDA

View Full Version : Is buying DD worth it?

Xianhou
10-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Just above I've heard that this game is very fun and i'm maybe intrested to buy it. But is it really worth it? ;p

Denton22
10-19-2011, 11:54 AM
YES! It is really Hard and some Bugs have to be sortet out, bu if you like Coop,Diablo2 and WC3 Tower Defense in one Game BUY IT!

TcoNL
10-19-2011, 12:02 PM
There is already a patch that will fix the connecting problem (which 99% of all the people are !@#$%^&* about) and it will be downloable via Steam soon.

So yea worth it absolutely. Recommend it to everyone you know and make topics on every forum you visit.

thewookie
10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Yes Dungeons Defenders is a great indie game. Worth all 13$ I payed for it.

elixenie
10-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Nope. It's fluff, and not very well made fluff at that. Not worth $13 but then neither is $13 so go ahead and buy it anyway.

Unless you find losing your characters upsetting. People playing the iOS version have been asking for a fix since at least March. Guess what's in the upcoming (tba) patch? That's right, compatability with iOS 5.

Larry1212
10-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Totally worth it.

Got about an hour straight without a d/c and they fixed the lost character bug but previous characters prior to the fix are lost. :( It's a fun game, actually really hard and has persistent stats. Huge replayability too. Even on Easy it's a challenge.

Alterego
10-19-2011, 12:20 PM
worth it! a lot fun with other people! but steam goes off and on and i was just finished building traps with a friend...

Skopjanec
10-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Just above I've heard that this game is very fun and i'm maybe intrested to buy it. But is it really worth it? ;p

im blackops and ro2 player and i will tell you this game is awsome :)

booyaka33
10-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Very great game!
Played it for about 2 hours, till the Trendy servers got down :(
And definately worth the 7€ i paid :) (4-pack).

Jag Gentleman
10-19-2011, 01:11 PM
im blackops and ro2 player and i will tell you this game is awsome :)

You are saying that because Black Ops is a good game? *sarcastic laught*

rtv05
10-19-2011, 01:16 PM

After i buy it i was like, oh noes you pay 10 bucks for a tower defence game...i must be stupid.
After 2 hours of playing i can say...this game is totaly
BEAUTIFUL!
The graphics are very nice, the itemsystem is good, the characters are realy diffrent, the enemys are not always the same and the levels are nice too.
I realy like pay just 10 bucks for it, i have the same fun (but WITHOUT THE BUGS) i got with magicka.
And i am impressed how FLUENT the netcode is, NO SINGLE LAG did i got!
They did a very good job, maybe its the unreal engine, because its very good programmed, but there a lot of NPCs and its still fluent.
I love the unreal engine now!

The only bad thing is the lootsystem, you have to press attack "on and on" to attack(on some classes) and the camera from time to time.
So i play the archer girl, because you can hold the attack key, instead of clicking all the time which ends in a thumbhurt.

8u4dinner
10-19-2011, 01:17 PM
If you are not sure if you would like the controlls, here is a very VERY early TECHDEMO of it (REMEMBER ITS VERY OLD!)
http://www.fileplanet.com/209732/200000/fileinfo/Dungeon-Defense-Demo-v2.2

or you could download the demo from steam... lol :D

rtv05
10-19-2011, 01:20 PM
will kids never learn to stop full quote like a fool...

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 01:27 PM
no its not .. buy orcs must die .. its quite the same but less frustration because of bugs

TcoNL
10-19-2011, 01:30 PM
OMD! had more bugs then DD... DD just has a few technical problems which are already fixed now or underway.

8u4dinner
10-19-2011, 01:33 PM
no its not .. buy orcs must die .. its quite the same but less frustration because of bugs

i have both games and i must disagree. while they are both tower defense games with rpg elements. orcs must die has only one class with skill trees and can upgrade abilities with points (skulls)

dungeon defenders is loot based rpgs with a lot more customization in my opinion as far as talent points go. You can swap out weapons and gear, there are pets and so on.

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 01:37 PM
gee .. the loot is 99% useless ... the resistance calculation cannot be explained ^^ the pets are just a buff ... all in all i prefer orcs must die

Edit.. The Knight is a pain in dd becaus hes far to slow and moves like in quicksand .. the hunter always gets the chests with mana .. and then u get disconeccted in the last wave .. great game ^^ (<--- this is ironic)

8u4dinner
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
gee .. the loot is 99% useless ... the resistance calculation cannot be explained ^^ the pets are just a buff ... all in all i prefer orcs must die

To each their own. I love orcs must die for the shooter part and i love dungeon defenders for the leveling/loot based/ coop gameplay.

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 01:45 PM
but it doesnt work ^^ .. what use have a coop ♥♥♥♥ when i cant coop ?^^

8u4dinner
10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
not sure if trolling but ill bite, last time I respond to you in this thread though.

It barely came out today and their are having problems with online and actively trying to address it. You can check out their twitter feed here.
http://twitter.com/#!/TrendyEnt

You are acting as if there will never be coop.

Edit: Telling someone to not buy a game because its buggy on the first day is kinda dumb. Tell him to either wait or try a demo if you are turned off by bugs.

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 01:53 PM
i know that they do something .. i just responded to the threadmaker .. in my opinion orcs must die is more fun. DD is much more time consuming .. with the threat to loose all progression as it is right now .. even when u uncheck the dam steamcloud^^

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 01:57 PM
It barely came out today and their are having problems with online and actively trying to address it.

thats a sentence i dont give a ♥♥♥♥ on ... testing would have prevented it .. and im sick of betas not being adressed as betas

rndmize
10-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I've been looking forward to DD since last year, when I played the early version that was a demo for the UT3 dev kit. And given that their release date was originally supposed to be more than six months ago, I'm disappointed. My characters don't save, the game crashes, and they're thrown in a bunch of loot-whoring mechanics. If I wanted to collect pets, I'd play WoW or Pokemon; if I wanted to gather and sell thousands of useless items, I'd play Diablo.

I find OMD to be a much cleaner version of the same thing, with a better "feel" as well (more visceral, enemies react to hits and traps in a variety of convincing ways, etc); the lack of multiplayer/co-op would be my one major disappointment with it.

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 02:11 PM
yeah .. thats what i say .. omd is much more polished .. and i didnt encountered such severe bugs .. im sorry but thats my opinion .. DD is not worth it
btw .. how can u like multiplayer .. the fast characters will always gather mana first and build theyr stupid defenses until theres no more defense points so u cant build ur own defenses, so mostly u will see the stupid bombs from hunters.. thats just plain stupid gameplay ...

ogboot
10-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Capt, you get a free pass because i get the impression that english is not your first language. However, I've been playing this for some time on Android so I really don't get how some people feel they've been slighted by the gameplay. It's been out for a long time on different platforms, some of which are free or very cheap.
So, if you've tried DD and like it then yes it's worth it. If you tried it already and didn't like it then no, it's not, but this should be inherent.

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Capt, you get a free pass because i get the impression that english is not your first language. However, I've been playing this for some time on Android so I really don't get how some people feel they've been slighted by the gameplay. It's been out for a long time on different platforms, some of which are free or very cheap.
So, if you've tried DD and like it then yes it's worth it. If you tried it already and didn't like it then no, it's not, but this should be inherent.

thanks .. no its german .. and i dont even talked about the bad translatioan (why a translation at all when its so hilarious)
I saw and played it for te first time .. and for me its to slow ^^ .. maybe because i played the knight .. must be the slowest character around ^^ .. a level up in speed doesnt seem to bring much ^^

HK-21
10-19-2011, 02:44 PM
DD > OMG!

More customization, play-styles, characters etc. = A lot more fun.
OMG! = One character, no customization and NOOOO MULTIPLATER WTF!

Yes, DD is a ton funner and there will be a lot of otherr events/patches/characters in the future.

DD is fun, its just like playing a Tower Defense game in 3D with Hack-N'Slash stuff lol

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 02:51 PM
More customization .. ok i can put some stuff on ^^
play styles are not much different .. place traps and click to death ^^ .. characters .. ok .. theres more than one .. who cares i only wanna smash and crash ^^ .. a lot more fun? .. no ^^
multiplayers doesnt work anyway now WTF
So for a singleplayer just smash and dash around OMD is better ^^ and it has more campaign levels .. how much levels do DD have? 8?
The worst thing is that u have to do this few levels again and again to the next level until the right weapon or armor drops ... or u have enough garbage to sell to buy a good weapon or armor ^^

Nebz
10-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Last night when it first released the game was incredibly fun, even with the cheaters. Now the only reason it's not fun is because the game is unplayable.

Foojo
10-19-2011, 03:35 PM
I like DD and think it's worth it. I plan on picking up OMD on its first steam sale.

The load is probably far above anything the devs could simulate. So unless they are very experienced at that sort of development, the connection problems are to be expected. I figure it's going be rough for a bit. No sense getting bent out of shape over it as I am sure the devs will be pulling some long hours, and it will be fixed when it's fixed.

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 03:38 PM
yeah i admit i was a bit harsh against them ... but hey thats business ^^

Valdorganos
10-19-2011, 03:41 PM
@CptKiffMan: You clearly got a bad experience with coop and DD. And to have conclusions that fast you hardly played DD much in single player. Try dig more its single player instead. Its single player gameplay is very good too.

For me, Orcs Must Die, Sanctum, and Dungeon Defenders are 3 great games and quite different to each other. But before to spite too much on Dungeon Defenders, even if OMD succeed to make something rather different on a similar base, I doubt OMD (and perhaps Sanctum) would have been released if DD haven't been released almost one year ago.

Most probably a day or another a game with a similar approach would have been released (Sanctum?) but TD aren't a so popular type of game. And try make some new mix around TD is hardly appealing if there wasn't before the example of DD. It would be even less appealing for OMD designers because most probably they don't have a very deep passion of TD (unlike those of Sanctum). It's not a negative critic against OMD, what OMD lost in tactical and strategical depth it wins it in action dynamism and nervous gameplay.

In my opinion have those three games released on PC relatively closely (Sanctum is 6 month ago) could benefit (or not) to each other by building a dynamic around this type of game. Some player certainly heard about OMD and then tried Sanctum and will perhaps try DD, or some other played Sanctum then had been more curious about OMD, or some like me played DD and couldn't resist try Sanctum and OMD. Also DD get quite more echoes on the net because of its previous releases, some players playing PC version of DD will heard or be more curious about OMD.

OMD isn't only more nervous and in my opinion with a better fighting (Sanctum shooting is quite good but overall action is quite different) but also OMD attempts to bring a new element at each level is inspired from Plants vs Zombies approach, and this achieves relatively well to give to its campaign some rhythm. It's not fully successful in my opinion because some traps seems a bit pointless and some other a bit too powerful. But overall this flow of new elements works well to put dynamism in its campaign. Also the overall design is about speed and action. This is putting focus on action and gives it more punch, but this lower the hero tactical approach.

In dungeons you could setup a level so towers slow down long enough enemies attacking from one side and during this time clean a lot waves from another side and then come back to the other side. Also the ability to heal towers offer a lot more tactical options. In OMD you don't have such possibilities at least at this level, but it's a trade off for a more nervous action and mood.

Yep they are different, no problem someone don't like one and like the other. But did you really give its chance to DD in single player?

A major point to quote in DD single player it's to not focus on a single character, use one of each class, this open much more tactical options and diversify a lot the gameplay from tactical or strategical point of view but also from action point of view.

Valdorganos
10-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I like DD and think it's worth it. I plan on picking up OMD on its first steam sale.

Definitely worth try OMD, don't expect find in it DD, but that is one more reason to try it, really not a clone, just another approach of mix of TD and FPS or FBS (From Back Shooters!). If you enjoy classical shooting and TD you also must try Sanctum, less sexy than the two other, but quite special and interesting.

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 03:47 PM
just to clarify .. im also not a sanctum fan i have it but dont play it ... OMd is just fun .. thats it .. thats my opinion^^ .. just clear pure quick fun

if u like sanctum go on and play .. if u like DD go on and play .. i wont hinder ANYONE from playing .. i just think OMD is the best from them .. my opinion ^^

and dont tell me DD is quick ^^ .. because its not especially when u play the Knight or Squire ^^ (ka warum das offiziell ein Knappe und kein Ritter is .. wahrscheinlich da schon falsch übersetzt ^^)

graspee
10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I was really looking forward to DD because I like the bright, colourful world and the bold, chunky messages popping up all over the place. This is what it's like in the game, so fair enough.

I was also looking forward to the portal gun so I was a bit disappointed to find out that I couldn't use it until I got to level 25. I'm pretty sure it didn't mention that fact anywhere.

The main thing is though, I don't really like tower defence games single player, e.g. I found Sanctum tedious. Various previews suggested that this was a lot more fun than tower defence games in single player, and it did look like it on the videos.

It turns out I don't like tower defence games multiplayer either!

I dunno, it all seems a bit shallow and samey. The loot is boring and 99% of the time isn't an upgrade. It's probably just as well since the loot system is that anyone can open the chests that have loot in, and monsters drop loot that anyone can pick up, so there would be mass arguments if there was good loot. Selling loot after battle is tedious. I didn't trust the sell all option in case it sold the portal gun and TF2 pet things. Maybe you can't sell them though, but I don't trust it yet.

I'm wittering on. Most people seem to like it. My advice would be, if like me you thought "This looks fun! But hmmm, I don't like tower defence games" then listen to yourself, and don't buy it, because it is .... a tower defence game.

Love and hugs

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 04:06 PM
A major point to quote in DD single player it's to not focus on a single character, use one of each class, this open much more tactical options and diversify a lot the gameplay from tactical or strategical point of view but also from action point of view.

But this stretches the game in a way i dont want to experience .. i wanna level up a single character in one playthrough .. not a bunch of characters all at once .. i dont like getting forced into this kind of play

Papajohns
10-19-2011, 04:10 PM
But this stretches the game in a way i dont want to experience .. i wanna level up a single character in one playthrough .. not a bunch of characters all at once .. i dont like getting forced into this kind of play

You can choose to play through with a single character. Though usually after a while people get bored with their main and shake things up a bit with an alt or two. Again the choice is yours

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
ahhh man .. i just wait for diablo 3 4 this ^^ .. only a few months now .. then i wil gladly su(k up all the useless stuff ^^

all in all leveling in this game is more pain than fun .. and thats what make me regret the buy ..

Valdorganos
10-19-2011, 04:18 PM
...The main thing is though, I don't really like tower defence games single player, e.g. I found Sanctum tedious. Various previews suggested that this was a lot more fun than tower defence games in single player, and it did look like it on the videos.

It turns out I don't like tower defence games multiplayer either!
Mmm is your experience is a proof that a player that doesn't really like TD will necessarily not like DD? I don't know because I like TD, but I doubt your affirmation is valid because if it's TD it's also very different than classical TD. Moreover most players not linking TD most probably only tried those that are free, and those free TD are even more classical.

Mmm you aren't very adaptive, nor listen much, nor is too open to new ideas and new experiences, isn't it? Not too mention you aren't expecting have put some effort into something to get the reward back and instead expect an immediate reward, isn't it? :p

Joking you, but really you are glued into a negative non open approach, I bet you didn't enjoyed DD even before have tried it. You are probably too much a hard core fan of OMD, and you can only see DD as an enemy that will make shadow to your current favorite game. :)

ogboot
10-19-2011, 04:27 PM
I saw and played it for te first time .. and for me its to slow ^^ .. maybe because i played the knight .. must be the slowest character around ^^ .. a level up in speed doesnt seem to bring much ^^

You nailed it, Capt. The knight is indeed what I would consider to be the slowest character. For faster gameplay the huntress would be your best bet.

If it makes you feel any better I downloaded DD on android a few months ago... and didn't like it either! For some reason I gave it another chance a couple of weeks ago and something clicked and I really like it a lot now. I think if you give it a chance you will enjoy it, try the other classes out and give it a go.

Also, i've done very little CO-OP, mostly single player and it's been a lot of fun so far. Prob do some coop tonite with the PC version, it's just too clunky on the tablet to bother for me.

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 04:29 PM
yeah i admit u r right .. i tried and dont felt well ... i think its just a manner of taste .. no not taste .. a manner of playstyle. I just dont like it, because im not in the mood for playin this i think ^^ ... and im no hardcore fan of Omd .. i just think its better ^^ .. btw: my favorite Game at the Moment is Dark Souls ^^ (thats a real RPG:D)

CptKiffMan
10-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Aaaand .. im sorry i cant hold it ^^ .. if u really like this multiplayer so bad .. its just the singleplayer with more mobs .. u dont even have to talk to ur fellas .. except u wanna tell them that they should ♥♥♥♥in start the wave by clickin the crystal ^^

HK-21
10-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Aaaand .. im sorry i cant hold it ^^ .. if u really like this multiplayer so bad .. its just the singleplayer with more mobs .. u dont even have to talk to ur fellas .. except u wanna tell them that they should ♥♥♥♥in start the wave by clickin the crystal ^^

ok the "^^"'s are getting too much^^ and too annoying^^

lol^^

Xianhou
10-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Hmm Cheers for all the comments I think i'm gonna buy it :D
I'm more of a League of legends/Cod players so was asking.