PDA

View Full Version : Steam vs Origin

jaczart
10-21-2011, 06:36 AM
I wonder why not boycott MacDonald for they do not sell burgers at Burger King.:D

ViSkY
10-21-2011, 06:44 AM
I wonder why not boycott MacDonald for they do not sell burgers at Burger King.:D

1) Its McDonald's
2) Origin did not make BF3, its a program.
3) Its not coming to Steam.
4) Get out of here Stalker.

BartP
10-21-2011, 07:17 AM
I find it funny how people are greeting Origin, almost exactly like how they greeted Steam, when it first came out.

People have an aversion to change, but sooner or later they'll accept it as much as they do Steam.

jaczart
10-21-2011, 08:14 AM
1) Its McDonald's
2) Origin did not make BF3, its a program.
3) Its not coming to Steam.
4) Get out of here Stalker.

I see you have no sense of humor

1) Have you ever heard of something like an exclusive contract.
2) It seems that you want to go to Munich to buy a Mercedes, instead of buying at the nearest shop.

I feel no difference whether i buy from Origin or Steam.
For me it is important to not run around the city and look for the where you can get this game.

forumuser622
10-21-2011, 10:31 AM
I find it funny how people are greeting Origin, almost exactly like how they greeted Steam, when it first came out.

People have an aversion to change, but sooner or later they'll accept it as much as they do Steam.

There is no doubt a few years from now that origin can squeeze out steam completely. But for now, origin is a big step backwards. That is fact. And you are forced to use this tool if you want to play their blockbuster titles.

rupok2
10-21-2011, 10:55 AM
There is no doubt a few years from now that origin can squeeze out steam completely. But for now, origin is a big step backwards. That is fact. And you are forced to use this tool if you want to play their blockbuster titles.

Lol u think origin will win against valve, NO one can beat valves trust with customers, not even with bucket tons of money EA has. They can co exist and thats fine but steam won't lose as long as valve are the way they are currently.

UltimaRage
10-21-2011, 11:01 AM
There is no doubt a few years from now that origin can squeeze out steam completely.

Not even remotely.

Steam's user base is so much larger than Origin's that it is beyond comparison.

Origin has what, 20 games? Steam has hundreds. Origin has what, a couple million users?

Doesn't steam have something like 32 million users?

I have Origin on my computer, it's just another program to play games from. The only thing that really bothers me is the hassle of creating a new friends list.

Obii
10-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Lol u think origin will win against valve, NO one can beat valves trust with customers, not even with bucket tons of money EA has. They can co exist and thats fine but steam won't lose as long as valve are the way they are currently.
Hold the phone :O Valve didn't earn my trust they forced their service on me to play their blockbuster titles, go figure.

rupok2
10-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Hold the phone :O Valve didn't earn my trust they forced their service on me to play their blockbuster titles, go figure.

When was the last time valve screwed pc gamers with any games?

Thats right... never.

When was the last time EA screwed pc gamers?

Too many times to count.

Only thing valve did was force steam but thats now just a thing if the past, steam is user friendly, accessible and with all the positive valve did it outweights this one negative. You could say valve singlehandidly brought back pc gaming from the depths of piracy. I know many ppl who don't pirate anymore cause of steam. Companies like EA, Activision, gamestop left us in the dust now they are coming back to get a piece of the delicious pie that valve cooked up.

HJP
10-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I think Origin has some positives. You don't need to have it running to play your games once they're installed. It's easy to install games in different directories unlike Steam where it's trickier to move games around. At least for EA games, you can install patches as they come out and not have to wait for it to go through validation on Steam.

I'll still be using Steam as it's easily the best digital distributor but I might start buying EA's titles on Origin.

Zefar
10-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Step backwards? Kinda like how Valve forces you to use Steam to play their Source games. But I'm sure you just happen to forget that.

The tool will just be running in the background like Steam and with Bf3 you only really need to have the Battlelog open to start up a server any given time. Origin is really just for logging in once in a while.

Thats right... never.
Half-Life Episode 1 took like 2 hours to finish. Not a good thing.
Half-Life Episode 2 took longer but it barely added any new guns to the series. Something which all the older HL expansions did.
Left 4 Dead 1 didn't get anywhere near as much content as Valve promised us.
Left 4 Dead 2 made quite a lot of people mad because they thought it could only be a DLC for L4D1. I'm a bit on the fence on this one.

Portal 2 was in a way dumbed down for console and for PCs alike. Puzzles where too easy, because you only have a few select able places to put portals on. The game was still fun but I don't like being forced to go through the 20 basic puzzles before it even get a bit challenging.
If they make a third one I want some diabolical puzzles at some points. I even want them to merge in shooting mechanics because I really wanna kill those Mantis people. You don't tease people with such awesome monster Valve. You didn't even show a body of it. :o

Too many times to count.

Sorry but could you name those reasons. EA PUBLISH games for most of the time.
They have published all the Battlefield series so far and people love them. With the exception of Free to play and BF Heroes. Those two have a rather small fanbase.

donaramu
10-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Zefar..hello <3

But origins will work out. I just dont like the diff friends list and re adding, but I dislike the limits on my friends list steam has XD,

haha thats my only prob, is that its a new program i have to use. but it doesnt matter in the end to me. I am here for the game

thotaz
10-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Were there any alternative service like steam at that time? No? Oh are there anything like Origin right now? Oh there is? What is the name of that thing? Steam

prozac26
10-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Were there any alternative service like steam at that time? No? Oh are there anything like Origin right now? Oh there is? What is the name of that thing? Steam

So in a free market no one else is allowed to create their own digital delivery client?

Ace Quat
10-21-2011, 12:08 PM
2) It seems that you want to go to Munich to buy a Mercedes, instead of buying at the nearest shop.
arrgh! mercedes-benz are made in stuttgart, baden-württemberg and not in munich, bavaria. bmws are from there! that's like saying abrams tanks were first produced in canada x(

jaczart
10-21-2011, 12:31 PM
arrgh! mercedes-benz are made in stuttgart, baden-württemberg and not in munich, bavaria. bmws are from there! that's like saying abrams tanks were first produced in canada x(

I did not know this
Thanks for the correction.

King of Koopas
10-21-2011, 12:39 PM
I"m sorry but the fact you are saying Ea has done less to screw gamers then Valve troubles me.

The whole point of episodic content is for cheaper games to be released at lower prices more frequently. While I agree the last point they failed on, you can't have beaten the game in 2 hours unless you speedrun through it. Epsiode 1 was about as long as portal 2, and that takes Valve at least 4-6 hours to do.

[quote]Half-Life Episode 2 took longer but it barely added any new guns to the series. Something which all the older HL expansions did.
Episode 1 didn't add any new guns, and I don't think new guns were the point. More of the point I think was to progress the story while still having addictive, fun gameplay. I think they succeeded on that.

So a total of 5 campaigns, 7 or so weapons, custom community maps, survival, vs, a director AI that makes each game a new experience and whatever doesn't worrent a $50 purchase? I think that is more opinion, as I've never heard anyone complain how the game didn't have enough content.

Left 4 Dead 2 made quite a lot of people mad because they thought it could only be a DLC for L4D1. I'm a bit on the fence on this one.
Valve didn't screw anyone over, players just like to whine and for the most part people like l4d2.

Portal 2 was in a way dumbed down for console and for PCs alike. Puzzles where too easy, because you only have a few select able places to put portals on. The game was still fun but I don't like being forced to go through the 20 basic puzzles before it even get a bit challenging.
Go back and play portal 1 again. Seriously, it's not hard. So many people try and make this argument but being completely new to FPS, I almost never got stuck on the original portal. I got stuck a lot more on portal 2 when in the original. Also think about it. A lot of puzzles have a lot of elements and being able to go wherever would have made for easier ways to break the puzzles. It requires a lot of planning, and I personally didn't find problems. Portal 2 was acclaimed by critics and a lot of fans alike, so saying they screwed us doesn't fly.

If they make a third one I want some diabolical puzzles at some points. I even want them to merge in shooting mechanics because I really wanna kill those Mantis people. You don't tease people with such awesome monster Valve. You didn't even show a body of it. :o
That was a joke. It was never meant to be realized. Valve even removed blood from the game because they wanted it to be for everyone.

They have published all the Battlefield series so far and people love them. With the exception of Free to play and BF Heroes. Those two have a rather small fanbase.

While this is true, to say that they have a flawless record is lying. I'm not to big on it, but I can safely say there are a lot o people that have a thing with EA. Good example will always be the old Origin TOS, which I am aware that they patched out but will still remain as a prime example of how far EA will go. I want to say battlelog as well, but I'm not sure if Ea or Dice are to blame for that.

/2cents

Johnnykey
10-21-2011, 12:40 PM

Yap, even though (unfortunately) EA releases games that are much better (and much more numerous) than Valve's. DOTA 2 might change that a little though...

I'm not the first person to say this, but I wish CoD games were the ones on some other client and BF games on Steam with steam achievements, etc. Because a decent client + decent game do mix, but not a bad game/client with a decent client/game :f

Zefar, I never 'ever' felt Steam to be forced on me. The same applies to many other people. And by the way you posted it seems like you didn't get amazed by the Source engine. Well, I did, and I love all HL2 games. And they're not as short as you make them out to be, they 'are' still longer than most modern shooters (SP mode) nowadays, I believe.
Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to add bf3.exe as a non-steam game like the open beta, I hope.

jmac79
10-21-2011, 12:52 PM
THis is dumb, it's like two hicks arguing about ford and chev but geekier.

thotaz
10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
So in a free market no one else is allowed to create their own digital delivery client?

They are allowed to, but forcing people to use a client that is not better than one already there is wrong.

Twombly
10-21-2011, 01:54 PM
They are allowed to, but forcing people to use a client that is not better than one already there is wrong.

Why exactly? Software doesn't just come to be, it comes from a series of improvements on an original product.

Steam didn't start how it is today, and barring everyone from trying it purely because Steam has had longer to learn from its mistakes is "wrong".

Yurik
10-21-2011, 01:57 PM

They're not forcing anyone to do anything.

If you want to play THEIR game, you go through the medium THEY choose.

I can't go into Toys R Us to buy Warhammer, I need to go into a Games Workshop, or one of the stores they have licensed to carry it.

prozac26
10-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Unless they bust into your house, put a gun to your head... they are not forcing you to do anything.

Valve forced us to get Steam with HL2, so how is Origin any different? Because Steam is older (and more popular) than Origin?

doomtack
10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Only problem I have with Origin is that it doesn't give some international users (read: gamers) the respect they get from platforms like Steam.

I still can't buy Battlefield 3 here in the caribbean. And i'm forced to ship a hardcopy of the game. Can't even pre-order because of it.

Zefar
10-21-2011, 02:41 PM
So a total of 5 campaigns, 7 or so weapons, custom community maps, survival, vs, a director AI that makes each game a new experience and whatever doesn't worrent a $50 purchase? I think that is more opinion, as I've never heard anyone complain how the game didn't have enough content.
They started with 4 campaigns and some where added later.
The 7 weapons got boring quite quickly when everyone found out how powerful auto shotgun was. Most of the time you where stuck with Auto shotgun which was a boring model. The M16 was also a boring model and the only assault rifle in the game. The sniper got a bit more unique skin but that's about it.

So generally you used one out of 3 weapons. The variation in weapons was the worst part in the game.

The AI didn't make every game unique and even if it did the players themselves make the game unique. You will literally never have the same encounter twice with human beings. But no one seems to bring that up in a MP game.

But this isn't about it's starting content. This about Valve telling the community they would add plenty of new weapons and maps to the game. They never once added a new weapon. Even if it would be relative easy for them to do so. Maps I will grant them taking time but not weapons.

Valve didn't screw anyone over, players just like to whine and for the most part people like l4d2.
Well the content was at first made for L4D1 but it was made into a full game when it reached a certain part. All though, TF2 had kept it's massive amount of content without a problem.

Go back and play portal 1 again. Seriously, it's not hard. So many people try and make this argument but being completely new to FPS, I almost never got stuck on the original portal. I got stuck a lot more on portal 2 when in the original. Also think about it. A lot of puzzles have a lot of elements and being able to go wherever would have made for easier ways to break the puzzles. It requires a lot of planning, and I personally didn't find problems. Portal 2 was acclaimed by critics and a lot of fans alike, so saying they screwed us doesn't fly.

For me the dumbing down part is that I don't need to do a lot of fast movements in Portal 2 to place out portals. Probably didn't do it that much in the first game but in this game you could take your time. Probably to help gamepad users more.
I also do not like to go through tutorials levels in SP mode that take up quite a bit of time.

That was a joke. It was never meant to be realized. Valve even removed blood from the game because they wanted it to be for everyone.

Doesn't mean they gotta hide them forever. Portal 3 could change that.

While this is true, to say that they have a flawless record is lying. I'm not to big on it, but I can safely say there are a lot o people that have a thing with EA. Good example will always be the old Origin TOS, which I am aware that they patched out but will still remain as a prime example of how far EA will go. I want to say battlelog as well, but I'm not sure if Ea or Dice are to blame for that.

/2cents

Never said their record was flawless. Just asked which parts they screwed people over.

"Old"? It's like a month old by now. Get something better than their Eula that they never would have used to harm anyone.

Also I'm not sure how you can even hate Battlelog.

Seriously, you people don't seems to like having to start programs to start your game. Then just have Battlelog open and whenever you want to play a game you switch to that server browser and join a server.

No starting up Origin or opening it and launch BF3 from there. No waiting for intros or login process after that and then finally in the game to look for a server.
Battlelog removes ALL of that.

Zefar, I never 'ever' felt Steam to be forced on me. The same applies to many other people. And by the way you posted it seems like you didn't get amazed by the Source engine. Well, I did, and I love all HL2 games. And they're not as short as you make them out to be, they 'are' still longer than most modern shooters (SP mode) nowadays, I believe.
Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to add bf3.exe as a non-steam game like the open beta, I hope.
But Steam IS forced on people who buy Valves Source based games. You also need to launch the game through Steam every time. With Origin you can launch BF3 through a browser instead and during the beta I rarely opened the Origin window.

As for HL2. Yes it's graphic where amazing back in 2004. After that the Episodes haven't provided with any awesome graphic moments. The other source based games are just not that good looking. I think Valve are generally just afraid of making HD models for some games that could really use some. L4D series. Those world weapons could have their polycount boosted by 200% and it wouldn't do a thing to the FPS counter.

As there are so few of these weapons on the map. In HL2 episodes the weapons really need a new face lift. Because those models are just so bad looking now. World models that is.

Portal 2 being the latest game and it does look smooth and such but still. I didn't really impress me.

The episodes are actually quite short. Episode 2 got around 4 hours but at certain points you're locked down in the area until the cut scene is done. People don't like how you're locked down in Black Ops and this is pretty much the same thing.
Episode 1 was also like 2 to 3 hours. If you took your time. You could get through in a dangerously short amount of time.

HJP
10-21-2011, 02:48 PM
THis is dumb, it's like two hicks arguing about ford and chev but geekier.

LOL

I think this is precisely why verses threads are banned in the hardware forum. And asking whether Steam is better than Origin on the Steam forums is like asking Bill Gates whether you should use Windows or Mac OS.

Steam was just like Origin when it started out with HL2. You had to use it to play their game and Steam wasn't without its own problems when it launched. Valve has had years to fix things, learn from mistakes, and add hundreds of games to their library.

I'm willing to give Origin a try, and as I said in a previous post, it has some features that I'd like to see in Steam.

The whole "Steam is better because it's Valve, and Valve stands up for PC gamers" is just your inner fanboy speaking. At the end of the day, Valve and EA are just two companies trying to sell us games.

Obii
10-21-2011, 02:53 PM

Thats right... never.

Too many times to count.

Only thing valve did was force steam but thats now just a thing if the past, steam is user friendly, accessible and with all the positive valve did it outweights this one negative. You could say valve singlehandidly brought back pc gaming from the depths of piracy. I know many ppl who don't pirate anymore cause of steam. Companies like EA, Activision, gamestop left us in the dust now they are coming back to get a piece of the delicious pie that valve cooked up.

when was the last time Valve released titles successively? oh that's right Valve have Valve time, successive games could be 5-10 years, still waiting for HL2EP3/3 while they announce their CS:GO console game that is being ported to PC. as for screwing over PC gamers; while L4D2 is a good game in it's own right they did ♥♥♥♥ the dog of L4D owners and supporters.

Valve also help companies like Activision sell their DLC map packs and skins which aids in the decimation of what PC gaming is supposed about.

Steam helps bring a hell of a lot of low end rig users to the forefront of gaming which it's self slows the evolution of gaming as companies claw for the larger market in these low end rig users, just check out the hardware survey there is some very low spec parts in the majority there.

i seem to recall we were more then happy with WON but Valve forced Steam upon us so what's the difference with Origin being forced? resistance is futile.

don't talk about the evils of EA if you're not willing to look at the evils of your devil first.

daniel_
10-21-2011, 03:14 PM
I like both, and both have pros and cons. You don't need to choose just one. : /

jaczart
10-21-2011, 04:12 PM
I remember how I bought MW2 in the store. I was furious about to install Steam to play the game.
Then I got used to it and realized that this is development and that someone tries to earn cash.
Now, Origin is not an alternative but a necessity.
It's kinda like you wanted to drink the fresh coffee and you have to buy a new cup.
So in some way we are forced to accept Steam or Origin to have the opportunity to play games.

Clonesa
10-21-2011, 04:37 PM

I doubt that severely considering how different the companies that make the 2 pieces of software are and the purposes behind each.

Note that the entire reason Origin is only coming out now is because EA resisted the change in the industry for so long.

Origin can never really be as good as Steam and will only limp along because they will force it down people's throats. Much like your average Microsoft product, it won't be any good, but you'll have no choice.

Mgp
10-21-2011, 04:45 PM

Thats right... never.

Too many times to count.

Agreed. Zefars points are very weak about valve screwing people over with silly exaggerations like episode 1 took 2 hours or whatever and the whole lfd thing.

In 08, 2009 valve and steam WERE saving PC gaming.

Dublock
10-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Agreed. Zefars points are very weak about valve screwing people over with silly exaggerations like episode 1 took 2 hours or whatever and the whole lfd thing.

In 08, 2009 valve and steam WERE saving PC gaming.

I rarely get into these debates, as the odds of one side convincing member(s) of the other is slim.

But I do agree with Zefars. I remember getting home from school, installing episode 1, finishing it before dinner in the same day, for episode 2, it was a Saturday, and I had it finished the afternoon. My father also had it finished in a short time.

I remember being upset with the LFD, the weapons were limited, better in the 2nd, which I liked. I was not so bothered with so few maps, but my fiancee was which is enough for me. Lfd2 for the most part fixed my issues.

One can argue that value did not "save" PC gaming as that is a very broad statement and one can define/interpret it in many ways.

revro
10-21-2011, 05:35 PM
personally... I just don't want to have another program running in the background. I also don't have another account to another website just for 1 or 2 games. to the guy who doesn't think it's wrong for every publisher to have their own dd. Sure it isn't wrong, but it probably a horrible business decision. I'm sure a lot people will avoid a game because they don't want to install another download manager for 1 game.

devilsrefugee
10-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Step backwards? Kinda like how Valve forces you to use Steam to play their Source games. But I'm sure you just happen to forget that.

The tool will just be running in the background like Steam and with Bf3 you only really need to have the Battlelog open to start up a server any given time. Origin is really just for logging in once in a while.

Half-Life Episode 1 took like 2 hours to finish. Not a good thing.
Half-Life Episode 2 took longer but it barely added any new guns to the series. Something which all the older HL expansions did.

Lets all respect that this is coming from a valve forum mod. I know Zefer has a right of opinion, as we all have the right to voice our thoughts - and I agree with you word for word!

Origin will never get to be number 1 distribution platform whilst Valve and Steam keep working as well as they have been doing (Sales of games/marketing etc). For all the hate on Origin, let me tell you how many times it gave me any trouble during the BF3 Beta - zero. I cant fault something that (for me personally) ran smooth as butter.

BlueTrin
10-21-2011, 05:52 PM

Zefar, I have to disagree on EA, I am pretty sure I could find others, but the one that left me baffled was how they handled DA2.

http://lounge.moviecodec.com/games/eabioware-is-banning-anyone-calling-dragon-age-2-♥♥♥♥-107667/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/11/ea-retracts-game-ban-for-forum-violation/

http://kotaku.com/5782097/dragon-age-ii-dev-rates-his-own-game-on-metacritic-ea-bets-obama-voted-for-himself-too

BlueTrin
10-21-2011, 05:54 PM

Zefar, I have to disagree on EA, I am pretty sure I could find others, but the one that left me baffled was how they handled DA2.
http://lounge.moviecodec.com/games/ eabioware-is-banning- anyone-calling- dragon-age-2-s h i t-107667 (sorry remove spaces because of steam filter)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/11/ea-retracts-game-ban-for-forum-violation/

http://kotaku.com/5782097/dragon-age-ii-dev-rates-his-own-game-on-metacritic-ea-bets-obama-voted-for-himself-too

And I have to admit that Steam made me stop piracy by allowing me to store all my games in one place, I never liked to buy physical CDs.

jaczart
10-22-2011, 03:48 AM
It's nice to have all games in one place.
I myself once took care of it.
Now we have Steam or Origin.

For me, what is the biggest problem is that my PC (Personal Computer) is no longer so personal.
Third parties controls what applications can I enable and what i cannot.
Purchase and installation of the game does not guarantee that I can play.
Not to mention the credit card information.
What will be the consequences when some jarateed off worker make these data public, or someone steals the data.
Unfortunately, this is a general tendency on the Internet. All these brilliant ideas like clouds, Steam, Pache, Extras, security updates, it all reduces our control over your own computer.

partofthefuture
10-22-2011, 04:19 AM
Just ordered BF3 from Origin yesterday and asked them a question if BF3 will be available on Steam?

Here what support told me:

"BF3 will not be released on Steam"

BlueTrin
10-22-2011, 04:43 AM
It's nice to have all games in one place.
I myself once took care of it.
Now we have Steam or Origin.

For me, what is the biggest problem is that my PC (Personal Computer) is no longer so personal.
Third parties controls what applications can I enable and what i cannot.
Purchase and installation of the game does not guarantee that I can play.
Not to mention the credit card information.
What will be the consequences when some jarateed off worker make these data public, or someone steals the data.
Unfortunately, this is a general tendency on the Internet. All these brilliant ideas like clouds, Steam, Pache, Extras, security updates, it all reduces our control over your own computer.

Yes, I find it obscene that I am forced to have Origin for BF3, but in the same way I do not want Valve to force me to have steam as well to play the Valve games.

I would not mind having Origin checking for a patch at startup then closing down if there was no patch as long as it does not reside in the systray when not needed.

First of all, I hate the system of friends list showing you online or not by default. Plus I have already a bazillion things in my systray. Seriously anyone remember gamespy ? Some games were requiring gamespy to run in multi in the past.

Imagine if for every game or developper out there, you had to run a badly written POS coded by amateurs and interns who could not make it in a the real game industry. (Note: This is not what I think about Steam)

I accept Steam with its minor flaws because it is the best out there and the closest to what I always wanted but please I do not want one per publisher.

Some people here are not in their 20s and use their PC for work as well, and some people enjoy privacy. I cannot tell my colleagues to p off when they learn that I play games and want to add me on the friends list, but it is very annoying when sometimes Steam decides to leave the offline mode and connects yourself and shows you online. (this is probably as annoying as Facebook in the past before they added private settings)

Now I can just have two PCs or a dual boot to not be bothered by the systray when I work, which I do, but I find the recent trend of twittering and telling your mundane and uninteresting life to the whole word extremely annoying and I do not want to have to manage privacy settings over every application I have.

What is next ? Visual Studio Chat ? So you can poke other developpers ? Or SolitaireMessenger to keep your version of solitaire updated with the latest patch ... Wait for Ubisoft and all the publishers who cannot afford to code decently to start infesting your PC with crapware. EA will of course say that Origin is good because it keeps BF3 updated, but they could do it silently without an application called origin and without the flashy things and the functionality to the end-user would be the same.

oh ... and have a nice week-end anyway guys ... forgive me for my rant and now I am sending a tweet to say that I am going for breakfast now ... ;)

Quaaak
10-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Just ordered BF3 from Origin yesterday and asked them a question if BF3 will be available on Steam?

Here what support told me:

"BF3 will not be released on Steam"

If you asked EA support what kind of game Battlefield is they probably wouldnt know, so so much for that!

xBeastiex
10-22-2011, 06:22 AM
i use both
steam load steam then load the game

orgin click on game icon play the game without orgin starting up
orgin is used for downloading and installing the game but does not start everytime i want to play a game

EJGL2011
10-22-2011, 06:29 AM
WE all have to Compromise. I will just buy EA titles on Origin (to avoid issues like having Mass effect 1,2 on steam and then having part 3 on Origin). I highly recommend just doing that, that way it wont get in the way of steam. Plus after 1 full day of using origin, i actually like it. UI is clean, fast, and internet browser is super fast. Has cloud support, and DL speeds are rocking the sox. Only thing missing is Origin Achievements and id be very happy.

pii
10-22-2011, 01:58 PM

So don't play their blockbuster game if it means that much to you.

pii
10-22-2011, 02:02 PM

except he never said they were made there. oops!

Valerianus
10-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Starcraft 2 was never on Steam either.

I don't get it. The PC is an open platform, companies are free to carve it up as they want. It's all about choice. It's as if some people here want PC gaming to be more centralized like console gaming, with only one store and only two venues to buy games. Madness.

pii
10-22-2011, 02:08 PM

So they forced you to buy BF3? Well that isn't right. How did they do it? Gun to head? hypnosis? Water board?

pii
10-22-2011, 02:39 PM

I don't get it. The PC is an open platform, companies are free to carve it up as they want. It's all about choice. It's as if some people here want PC gaming to be more centralized like console gaming, with only one store and only two venues to buy games. Madness.

So you want to force game companies to use Steam and pay them a percent of the sales so you have one store. Makes sense unless you're in business to make as much money as you can.

Whats the big deal? I used to run all over town to find new titles in boxes. I even went to gasp more than one store! Now I can shop at home and have them ready to play on release day and I never have to get dressed. So what I have two virtual stores ( I actually have more)

frankly this is a good move for them using BF3 to get Origin on your PC. Heck I didn't even know Origin/EA had an online store until I ordered BF3.

Remember kids competition is good.

Does Origin only sell EA games or do they do other like Steam?

Valerianus
10-22-2011, 03:16 PM
So you want to force game companies to use Steam and pay them a percent of the sales so you have one store. Makes sense unless you're in business to make as much money as you can.

Whats the big deal? I used to run all over town to find new titles in boxes. I even went to gasp more than one store! Now I can shop at home and have them ready to play on release day and I never have to get dressed. So what I have two virtual stores ( I actually have more)

frankly this is a good move for them using BF3 to get Origin on your PC. Heck I didn't even know Origin/EA had an online store until I ordered BF3.

Remember kids competition is good.

Does Origin only sell EA games or do they do other like Steam?

Did you even actually read my post? I welcomed Origin with open arms.

Reading comprehension skills are non-existent these days, I swear.

<AvA>Duff5000
10-22-2011, 05:17 PM
I swear.

ban!!

;)

MrChris
10-22-2011, 05:19 PM
don't have a problem with Origin tbh

didn't use Steam at all during the BF3 beta ha

EpicLegion
10-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Starcraft 2 wasn't on Steam, but it doesn't require you to install spyware software just to play the game.

BlueTrin
10-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Starcraft 2 wasn't on Steam, but it doesn't require you to install spyware software just to play the game.

This (although I would not call it a spyware)

Squallboogie01
10-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Wow, this sounds like those other post (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk&list=FLX4XvkgrVF2A8gcUAFn48KA&index=4) I've read a billion times before.

Purponic
10-22-2011, 06:13 PM
There is no doubt a few years from now that origin can squeeze out steam completely.

Origin sells EA games only. You may want to rethink your position.

Valerianus
10-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Doesn't Blizzard install spyware on your computer, too?

Spyware is a relative term. All of the software you install could potentially be spyware, regardless of the legalese written into privacy statements trying to convince you that they "respect your privacy".

Use Gmail? Google scans all of your emails so that it can present your face with appropriate text ads.

Privacy doesn't exist anymore. Unless you elect to become a hermit, of course, and give up technology completely.

BlueTrin
10-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Doesn't Blizzard install spyware on your computer, too?

Spyware is a relative term. All of the software you install could potentially be spyware, regardless of the legalese written into privacy statements trying to convince you that they "respect your privacy".

Use Gmail? Google scans all of your emails so that it can present your face with appropriate text ads.

Privacy doesn't exist anymore. Unless you elect to become a hermit, of course, and give up technology completely.

Did you notice how you avoided totally to reply to his point in regards of your OWN post.

Worst troll ever ... Are you potentially making or argument or are you just potentially bored ?

Valerianus
10-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Did you notice how you avoided totally to reply to his point in regards of your OWN post.

Worst troll ever ... Are you potentially making or argument or are you just potentially bored ?

I wasn't trying to troll at all. So, worst insult ever.

My point is: Origin could be spyware, but so are a lot of the programs and Internet services that you use. How else can Steam gather those nice statistics? Unless you unplug your computer and use offline mode for the rest of eternity, of course.

If you don't like Origin, you don't have to use it. Keep your head in the sand and enjoy the garden. I have BF3 to play.

BlueTrin
10-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I wasn't trying to troll at all. So, worst insult ever.

My point is: Origin could be spyware, but so are a lot of the programs and Internet services that you use. How else can Steam gather those nice statistics? Unless you unplug your computer and use offline mode for the rest of eternity, of course.

If you don't like Origin, you don't have to use it. Keep your head in the sand and enjoy the garden. I have BF3 to play.

Then if you are not trolling it is even worse, he only said that SC2 does not come with spyware and then you branch on a crazy spree in order to define what a spyware is ?

Talk about missing the point with pointless and useless long paragraphs: what he says is very simple, Blizzard does not force you to have a 3rd party software that resides in the systray when you play SC2

Now if you want to go on your mad rhetoric about the etymology meaning and future of the word spyware to address this simple point go ahead: in this case I would rather prefer to be a troll than missing the point by light years and trying to still be right when the SC2 analogy does not hold up.

If you can play BF3 without origin that's great, but why do I need to launch a software to sell me EA games in order to see my friends ?

Valerianus
10-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Starcraft 2 is the spyware in itself. You have to login within the game to play it, no? You have to connect to a server before you can play the game.

Why do you have to launch Steam to play Half-Life 2? Your analogy with Origin can be applied to Steam as well. Wouldn't it be nice to load Half-Life 2 without Steam?

BlueTrin
10-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Starcraft 2 is the spyware in itself. You have to login within the game to play it, no? You have to connect to a server before you can play the game.

Why do you have to launch Steam to play Half-Life 2? Your analogy with Origin can be applied to Steam as well. Wouldn't it be nice to load Half-Life 2 without Steam?

Sorry you are dumb, there is no point arguing with you. SC2 logins are used for ladder and stats, not in aggressive marketing and forcing me to see intrusive ads. I log and I play seamlessly and when I quit SC2 I don't have anything else left in the systray.

Now you saw the word spyware and instead of understanding the meaning of his post you are here like a fool writing a dissertation on spywares.

Did I ever mention steam ? Jesus you are something else ... And yes it would've great to launch HL without steam and to buy you some reading skills in steam as well. Anyway I wish you a happy weekend and hope that you are trolling me for yor own sake.

jaczart
10-23-2011, 04:43 AM

First of all my PC is not a public platform.

I do not mind that I can buy the game via Steam or Origin.
But they are not needed, when I want to play games.

And now we return to the example of the car.

After buying a car you do not need to call to the shop for every time when you want to use the car.

And one day you will not be able to get to work because the server at the store went down.

Moreover, they did not give me the choice whether to install additional product or not and I have to watch ads sent to my PC.
Interesting what you will say when during a play, a game pauses to show you a short advertisement.
After all they are already advertising the game on the bottom bar.

Twombly
10-23-2011, 04:53 AM
First of all my PC is not a public platform.

I do not mind that I can buy the game via Steam or Origin.
But they are not needed, when I want to play games.

And now we return to the example of the car.

After buying a car you do not need to call to the shop for every time when you want to use the car.

And one day you will not be able to get to work because the server at the store went down.

Moreover, they did not give me the choice whether to install additional product or not and I have to watch ads sent to my PC.
Interesting what you will say when during a play, a game pauses to show you a short advertisement.
After all they are already advertising the game on the bottom bar.

You owning a game and you owning a car are different sorts of ownership. You own the car. You can take it apart and sell its components if you want, that's your right.

With a game you don't have that ability, because you only own the ability to play the game. It's EA's prerogative to dictate how you play the game, as the game itself is owned by them.

Cobalt2202
10-23-2011, 06:05 AM
I am neutral on this. Origin isn't a step back wards. It's a different innovation. But there's no way of telling if Origin will be strictly EA exclusive or global, like Steam. Can they compete in digital gaming against Steam? Did they implement Origin as a new DRM?

Perhaps they sought a nice timing. After all, Battlefield 3, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Mass Effect 3 will be pretty big games. Big titles by EA in a single year, it means something.

BlueTrin
10-23-2011, 06:24 AM
You owning a game and you owning a car are different sorts of ownership. You own the car. You can take it apart and sell its components if you want, that's your right.

With a game you don't have that ability, because you only own the ability to play the game. It's EA's prerogative to dictate how you play the game, as the game itself is owned by them.

You are partially (in)correct, this is true in the US and false in Europe.
European laws usually allow reverse engineering for interoperability for example, because they are not trying to protect the large companies against the small ones.

jaczart
10-23-2011, 06:26 AM

Partially you're right, but not to the end.
However, when EA goes bankrupt I do not be able to play the game that I bought.
And if the car manufacturer goes bankrupt, I will be able to continue to use the car.

But this is not what I wrote.
I wrote about that:
We are forced to install an increasing number of applications without the possibility of choice.

What eventually lead to restrictions on use of our own equipment in such a way as we would like.

absol89
10-23-2011, 06:41 AM
i think it is good to separate EA games from STEAM and valve, because i've had countless steam problems with big games, such as MW2 and Blackops due to steam servers overload and downtimes and lag etc.

every time i start mw2 or black ops steam the game freezes for 30 seconds due to connecting to steam and activision master servers. i mostly like the verify game cache and launch options of steam, and the friendlist integration. But Origin has that too, i can import from facebook and other good stuff.

also the origin system works good, and lets EA handle patches faster. steam patches for crsis 2 came out weeks after the EA ones. i cant have that with BF3

Obii
10-23-2011, 08:51 AM
People seem to be unaware you do not own a game any more you just purchase a licence to play it for the games lifetime nothing more, same with all major games even on Steam.

Zefar
10-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Partially you're right, but not to the end.
However, when EA goes bankrupt I do not be able to play the game that I bought.
And if the car manufacturer goes bankrupt, I will be able to continue to use the car.

But this is not what I wrote.
I wrote about that:
We are forced to install an increasing number of applications without the possibility of choice.

What eventually lead to restrictions on use of our own equipment in such a way as we would like.

You seems to think that EA wouldn't release a patch so that their games would be able to play without Origin. They would also probably tell you beforehand if they where in such state.

There is also this where it's highly possible that some company would buy up Origin and use it themselves. Getting your hand on all EA games might be worth something you know.

Valve have said the same thing. If they where to go bankrupt they would release a patch so that people could play their games without Steam. Though they would still need to download them first.

SierraSonic
10-23-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't care what programs have to be opened to play games, I just want to be able to purchase all my games on program that automatically sets up all the other programs for me. I want one list for my programs, it isn't even about Steam vs Origins anymore, just that I want one program with a PERMANENT LIST OF GAMES WITH EASY INSTALLATION.

I'm not avoiding it because it's required, I'm avoiding it because I DO NOT WANT TO SEPARATE MY GAMES LIST. Steam installed Alice for me today, it asked me for my origins/ea account, and I haven't seen origins since. I'll take the loss of space since it's cheap, but I won't have it running all the damn time.

SpectralShade
10-23-2011, 11:45 AM
You seems to think that EA wouldn't release a patch so that their games would be able to play without Origin. They would also probably tell you beforehand if they where in such state.

There is also this where it's highly possible that some company would buy up Origin and use it themselves. Getting your hand on all EA games might be worth something you know.

Valve have said the same thing. If they where to go bankrupt they would release a patch so that people could play their games without Steam. Though they would still need to download them first.

You DO realise already today consumers are burdened by unplayable hardcopies of various games that cannot be made to work without contact to now non-existing servers, right?

Only way to get (some, but not all of) those games working is to employ cracks and unofficial software packages.

It's happened before, it will happen again. Why are people so arrogant as to asume history means nothing?

jaczart
10-23-2011, 03:56 PM
It will be fun after a few years from now to tell you - I told you so.:D

Twombly
10-23-2011, 04:03 PM
You DO realise already today consumers are burdened by unplayable hardcopies of various games that cannot be made to work without contact to now non-existing servers, right?

Only way to get (some, but not all of) those games working is to employ cracks and unofficial software packages.

It's happened before, it will happen again. Why are people so arrogant as to asume history means nothing?

What games?

remrem44
10-23-2011, 04:10 PM

I'm so glad I don't have to live in your country. We aren't forced to install anything you don't want to in my country.

BlueTrin
10-23-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm so glad I don't have to live in your country. We aren't forced to install anything you don't want to in my country.

It's the true, the only thing we are forced to is to live with a bunch of people doing childish remarks, the joy of freedom !

remrem44
10-23-2011, 07:33 PM
It's the true, the only thing we are forced to is to live with a bunch of people doing childish remarks, the joy of freedom !

I guess that means I'll have to get a child to interpret what this means?

jaczart
10-23-2011, 09:43 PM

What are you talking about.
You either have to install Steam or Origin to play the game.
Country where you live has nothing to do with that.

You totally do not understand the meaning of what I wrote.

Jiggy727
10-23-2011, 10:05 PM
If the base topic is Steam VS Origin, Steam would roll the floor with the Origin download service. Origin might be new, but no one trusts EA. Everyone knows they're just one of those greedy money grubbing companies with no value for their customers asides the dollar sign above their heads. If you don't know, then just go ogle "EA Scandals" and you'll find what you need.

Overall, I hope EA comes back to steam just so I don't have to waste hard drive space with another download software. There's too many of those as it is.

EA's just trying to get on the "Download Bandwagon" and make a quick buck for themselves, and in the end it will probably make them lose money due to some people being steam loyalists, or not knowing what Origin is. I love steam myself, only had it for about 2 years and got it when a friend bought me TF2. Now, I probably couldn't live without it.

And let's face it EA, the only games worthwhile that are coming out for Origin are BF3, ToR Online, and Mass Effect 3, and there are only about maybe a half dozen gems in the bunch currently.

If EA thinks that other companies will prefer Origin over Steam for a suitable download home they are just getting ahead of themselves. Steam is the current king of the downloading games market for both big companies and indie developers, and I highly doubt origin will be anywhere near as good as Steam.

EA and Valve should compromise soon so we customers can stop worrying about them. And put a "Connect" option for steam on origin. :o

remrem44
10-23-2011, 10:25 PM
What are you talking about.
You either have to install Steam or Origin to play the game.
Country where you live has nothing to do with that.

You totally do not understand the meaning of what I wrote.

If your so offended with the system they utilize you don't have to buy their product. You are only promoting something you don't agree with when you purchase that said product. Don't use words like I have to or they make me or I'm forced to it makes you look ignorant. If you WANT to utilize their product and they have stipulations you either do it or you don't. If their stipulations are bad enough go get your attorney he would love to make some money off your privacy invasion suffering. If you feel whining on forum will fix it then it does solidify your true ignorance.

I$aid
10-23-2011, 10:28 PM
There's nothing wrong with Origin, Steam, Gamespy and alike. But, how many different accounts does one need to play or pay for online activities. I got 30+ diff. accounts. When I loose my mind one day, I won't be able to play or pay - hehe :)

jaczart
10-24-2011, 02:37 AM
If your so offended with the system they utilize you don't have to buy their product. You are only promoting something you don't agree with when you purchase that said product. Don't use words like I have to or they make me or I'm forced to it makes you look ignorant. If you WANT to utilize their product and they have stipulations you either do it or you don't. If their stipulations are bad enough go get your attorney he would love to make some money off your privacy invasion suffering. If you feel whining on forum will fix it then it does solidify your true ignorance.

Oh my God. You really do not understand what I wrote.
I really like the game.
I just wrote that it would be easier to have only one program like Steam or Origin.

Maybe comment from I$aid will explain to you what is this discussion about.

Chill out. :cool:

BlueTrin
10-24-2011, 03:39 PM
I guess that means I'll have to get a child to interpret what this means?

Yes any sensible child should be able to read for you.

BlueTrin
10-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Oh my God. You really do not understand what I wrote.
I really like the game.
I just wrote that it would be easier to have only one program like Steam or Origin.

Maybe comment from I$aid will explain to you what is this discussion about.

Chill out. :cool:

He is probably a troll ... Look at all his replies ...

rompnit
10-24-2011, 04:10 PM

Bingo! Origin is garbage... Tried it? Read the EULA?
Check this out...
http://www.thedailydl.com (http://www.thedailydl.com/why-origin-doesnt-work-and-what-ea-wont-be-doing-to-fix-it/)

jaczart
10-24-2011, 04:33 PM
He is probably a troll ... Look at all his replies ...

Thank you for your really intelligent comment. WOW

BlueTrin
10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Thank you for your really intelligent comment. WOW

Not you idiot, RemRem44.
Re-read your own comment and see who is lacking intelligence, thanks for being so smart yourself. Please refrain from posting, your smartness is blowing out my mind.

jaczart
10-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Not you idiot, RemRem44.
Re-read your own comment and see who is lacking intelligence, thanks for being so smart yourself. Please refrain from posting, your smartness is blowing out my mind.

Then why you quote my post, if writing about someone else.

I'm sorry for blowing out your mind.
Did not call you an idiot. :(

oldbrokenlink
10-24-2011, 05:44 PM
origins looks nice, but it can't beat steam!

i like steam because it has huge game selection and lots of members plus amazing sales.

where else do you have a community like this :)

Steiner
10-24-2011, 05:50 PM

I wonder why no one else decided to tell Valve about you posting bull♥♥♥♥ today :)

BlueTrin
10-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Then why you quote my post, if writing about someone else.

I'm sorry for blowing out your mind.
Did not call you an idiot. :(

Sorry, I wanted to tell you that RemRem44 is a troll, so I quoted you because I wanted to talk to you.

I know it does not make sense so apologies ...