PDA

View Full Version : whats going on? I feel tricked!

phototime
10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
This game (Alice Madness Returns) shows as 50% off. From $29.95 down to $14.95 but every time I try and purchase it all I get is a error at the check out.
Later on the price changes to $49.95 down to $24.95? Then the checkout works fine? Why? Today the price is back down to $14.95 and I cannot buy it as the error at the checkout happens again. I feel tricked and this is wrong.. the sale is only for the weekend and time is running out. Steam what are you playing at?

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/930Image1.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/753Image3.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/166Image2.jpg

phototime
10-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Just as I said the game is now showing for me as $49.95 down to $24.95.
Goes up and down hourly, when its at the lower price I cannot buy it??? Well Steam you know what you can do with it.. it is now off my shopping list. No wonder I have been going to gamersgate more and more.. LOL

sdmiracle
10-21-2011, 06:34 PM
which country are you in?

as far as i know only US and canada has the $15 price.

not sure why will it goes up to $25:confused:

Caiobrz
10-21-2011, 06:40 PM
That kind of error used to happen to me every single time I tried to purchase, and Steam support where unable to EVER help me.

I eventually found out it was my computer. I can buy perfectly fine on my wife's computer (logging with my account). I totally reset steam (deleted everything but steam.exe and steamapps\ folder) and it started working back again (purchasing that is), until all of the sudden it stopped. Now I simply log into my account from my wife's computer and buy from there when I want =x

phototime
10-21-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm in Sydney, Australia and I buy all the time from steam, never had this problem of wrong prices shown, removed & changed over and over. Someone once said elsewhere in these forums that Aussies get ripped off by steam? So why do I have to pay more? And why is it showing as the cheaper price & then NOT allow me to purchase it?????????????

Update: I just got home and checked steam again and it is now showing again as $29.95 reduced to $14.95. I'm not going to bother with it as I know it will give an error when I try to buy it. In an hour's time it will show as $49.95 down to $24.95. So they can keep it.

Alice Madness Returns
Weekend Deal
Offer ends Monday at 10am Pacific Time.
-50%
$29.99
$14.99

....yeah great if I can buy it !!!! LOL

velsoft
10-21-2011, 08:32 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/19680/?cc=au

When it shows USD after the price it is correct, it is $15 for the US and $25 USD for the rest of us.

Ilovevotekickin
10-21-2011, 11:08 PM
..and 25EUR for us europeans.

A game with no demo (thus high risk of suckage, even if I liked the first Alice, that one was made before the console crap era), that you can get on ebay for 12eur..

Give me a demo and I'll buy the game for 60eur if I like it, or not at all if I don't. Give me no demo and it'd better be less than 10eur for it to be worth it, because I'll have to buy 5 other pieces of ♥♥♥♥ until I get one I like.

phototime
10-21-2011, 11:09 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/19680/?cc=au

When it shows USD after the price it is correct, it is $15 for the US and $25 USD for the rest of us.

Sorry but that is incorrect my steam always shows in US dollars, it always has. Considering the Australian dollar is $1.03 US today it should not be $24.95, it shows as reduced to $14.95 so thats what I expect to pay. I have never had this problem before on steam. What it is Shown as is what I'm charged but this cannot make its mind up what it wants to show. If the USA is getting a better deal then the rest of us then I wish to ask steam WHY? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AeddGynvael
10-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Sorry but that is incorrect my steam always shows in US dollars, it always has. Considering the Australian dollar is $1.03 US today it should not be $24.95, it shows as reduced to $14.95 so thats what I expect to pay. I have never had this problem before on steam. What it is Shown as is what I'm charged but this cannot make its mind up what it wants to show. If the USA is getting a better deal then the rest of us then I wish to ask steam WHY? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

US customers - discounted game - $15, non-discounted game - $30.
EU customers - discounted game 25 euro, non-discounted game - 50 euro.

1 Euro definetely does not equal 1.3867 U.S. dollars.

Obviously 30 dollars = 50 euro.

That's a pretty bad case though - Europeans always get ripped off, but it's usually a bit less(for example, pretty much every single game costs the same in Euro and dollars, so we pay roughly around 20-22 dollars more for a standard retail release priced at $50/$60.
Then there are countries in Europe where 1 euro is 2 of their currency and 1 dollar is 1.4 of their currency.
Simple math (60x1.4=84, 60x2=120) leads us to an almost 50 percent higher price for a standard retail release.

sdmiracle
10-22-2011, 10:55 AM
screw EA, will never buy game from them anymore

Quietman68
10-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Its also showing at -50% in the UK for 14.99 (USD 23.91, EUR 17.21)

It works though as I bought it.

Ilovevotekickin
10-22-2011, 06:17 PM
If the USA is getting a better deal then the rest of us then I wish to ask steam WHY?

Because it costs nothing to try. Vote with your money. IF you buy it, don't be surprised that it generalizes later.

For me the only good price for something that may not even work on your system & offers no refund, is <10eur. I'll do as usual and wait the xmas sale to buy lots of games for nothing (even with some of them not working & the majority being total crap console ports, there will most likely be a good one in the lot).

Meanwhile I'll just buy Alice's Vorpal blade replica. Because yes, being a collector loving American McGee's Alice & owning 2 big Cheshire Cat statues & several Alice figures (including that Tower Records exclusive with the glowing cat), I'm still not gonna buy a game with no demo published by a company as ♥♥♥♥ty as EA (which didn't mind shamelessly selling that ultra♥♥♥♥ty Dead Space PC port).

3x0r10
10-23-2011, 01:12 AM
yeah the price seems fluctuating on my side aswell.

yesterday it was $30 then with the discount it was $15 then today I see the price is $50 with the discount price $30.

Whatever. I'm currently playing DoW anyway. I want the game but I won't die if I don't play alice anyways.

Department
10-23-2011, 01:29 AM
Try buying the game via your favorite internet browser, instead of buying it on the steam browser, it has fixed quite a few of my issues when buying stuff from steam at times.

phototime
10-24-2011, 04:34 AM
Gamersgate has it now for $14.95 so it seems Steam has lost my money now and looks like in the future as well.

arth1
10-24-2011, 08:23 AM
A game with no demo (thus high risk of suckage, even if I liked the first Alice, that one was made before the console crap era), that you can get on ebay for 12eur..
I think the convenience of Steam, as well as their forums and limited support is worth the 2.99 extra.

But I fully agree with console crap. The last five or so games I've bought were basically made for controllers, and crippled on the PC. This game and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are two games that may be fantastic on a console, but have the playability of a dead trout compared to what non-console-playing PC gamers expect.
9/10 in looks, 2/10 in playability unless you think console "actions" and a speed limited mouse are normal.

splatuk
10-24-2011, 08:50 AM
I am having the exact same problem, every time I try and purchase the game it tells me there has been an error, I have tried paying by card and by paypal and tried using 2 different pc's and neither work, just tells me there's an error. It's like they WANT people to find it using other not so legal ways as they wont let half of us buy it legally. twats

theclaw135
10-24-2011, 09:43 AM

I thought average prices of recent game releases have been lowest on average in the USA, for quite some time? I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy XIII cost near 50% more in Japan (USD equivalent) day one...