PDA

View Full Version : BLACK SCREEN ON START UP AND RANDOM CRASHES

Pages : [1] 2

overkill_bo
10-22-2011, 06:21 PM
First off don't run PAYDAY with Teamspeak 3 or Ventrilo - it can collide on start up and not start the game.

Then for NVIDIA users:

The main issue is PAYDAY does not want to run with PhysX drivers that are beta.

Exit Steam entirely.

Uninstall the PhysX from the control panel

(USE THE ADD/REMOVE program in Windows to do this. If you dont it will not work.)

Browse to your PAYDAY: The Heist installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\common\payday the heist\)

Run the following installers:

...\Steamapps\common\payday the heist\redist\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe
...\Steamapps\common\payday the heist\redist\PhysX\PhysX_9.10.0513_SystemSoftware. exe

Restart Steam and test your issue again.

Also you might want to REBOOT your computer after this too if the above still does not work.

ATI/AMD users:

If you have a videocard that is not with Nvidia(such as ATI/AMD) then you need the Nvidia PhysX driver 9.09.0408 , rather than the 9.10.0513 provided by Overkill.

Steps:

Uninstall PhysX:

1. Start --> Control Panel --> Uninstall program --> Nvidia PhysX
2. Download PhysX Driver 9.09 from http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0408_whql.html
3. Install
4. Play!

ALIENWARE users make sure you have AlienFX installed.

Bo

NGxscoot
10-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I have that problem. Is there any known fix? Starting it from the folder, and running as administrator stops it from immediately crashing, but I still can't play the game.

Danarca
10-22-2011, 07:04 PM
I tried the fix recommended in the other sticky, I've updated my drivers, and I tried running it as administrator, but I still get a black screen which then crashes after approx. 2 seconds.

itiel970
10-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Well, I already told you guys whats wrong, you fixing it?

overkill_bo
10-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Well, I already told you guys whats wrong, you fixing it?

Each PC is unique. There is many causes and we try to address them all.

Yes we are fixing yours.

Bo

Dragline
10-22-2011, 09:31 PM
already made a post about my crashes here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2194120

but yeah, its still happening, updated my drivers, did all the other fixes, played in low res. Nothing seems to be working and it always crashes in the lobby while i wait for everyone to click "ready". Once again, any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

overkill_bo
10-22-2011, 09:49 PM
already made a post about my crashes here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2194120

but yeah, its still happening, updated my drivers, did all the other fixes, played in low res. Nothing seems to be working and it always crashes in the lobby while i wait for everyone to click "ready". Once again, any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

We know 90% of you guys have the problem of PhysX crashing.

We are looking into this and reaching out to Nvidia for assistance. We will get it rolling asap.

Bo

Dragline
10-22-2011, 09:59 PM
We know 90% of you guys have the problem of PhysX crashing.

We are looking into this and reaching out to Nvidia for assistance. We will get it rolling asap.

Bo

Using ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650, if that helps? Also, once im actually IN the game, everything is fine, no crashing at all, very smooth. Its only in the lobby that i crash.

Danarca
10-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Oh, so most people can start the game, but not actually get ingame?
Is PhysX also behind the instant crash-to-desktop some of us are getting..?

Also, kudos for the transparency in your processes, and personally helping us out on the Steam forums :)

EDIT:
Restarted my computer, now it works! :D

perfectjake
10-23-2011, 07:03 AM
i have the black screen problem, i already uninstalled phyX and installed the one in the payday directory. and the problem is the same. I have tried restarting steam and my pc also verified the cache and it's still not working

Edit: i have found some MDMP files along with the .exe

cooldust79
10-23-2011, 07:41 AM
I am an ATI user running driver 11.9 guess what? Crashes to desktop, listen you guys didn't even have a proper release date then when it randomly comes out its not even fixed? get to it, the great thing about steam is you guys don't have to refund us the money back and when I buy something I want to use it now, NOT troubleshoot it.

Masterblaster73
10-23-2011, 07:53 AM
I am an ATI user running driver 11.9 guess what? Crashes to desktop, listen you guys didn't even have a proper release date then when it randomly comes out its not even fixed? get to it, the great thing about steam is you guys don't have to refund us the money back and when I buy something I want to use it now, NOT troubleshoot it.

And what kind of response do you expect with that attitude?
The Devs are working hard to resolve the few serious issues they have. Get over it and relax.

cooldust79
10-23-2011, 08:04 AM
The Devs are working hard to resolve the few serious issues they have. Get over it and relax.
Don't make excuses for them, if you didn't want a conflict out of it then don't quote my text all your doing is flaming. I spend 20 bucks to sit here and look at a black screen. I shouldn't even have to come to this forum to twiddle my thumbs and have them put the blame game on nvidia and ati. Its their game not the cards. I'm running a ati radeon HD 5670 more then enough to run this game but what do I get? a crash and about 20 crash reports that generate in the payday folder that don't even get sent to them.

mbc
10-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Excuse me buddy, but we have every right in the world to be angry with the devs after we paid them good money and they gave us a faulty buggy game in return. I can't even start up my game, it just gives me a black screen and then crashes to the desktop. I can think of a million things I could have done with those 20 dollars, but now I'll never get them back, and I have a right to be irritated about it.

cooldust79
10-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Excuse me buddy, but we have every right in the world to be angry with the devs after we paid them good money and they gave us a faulty buggy game in return. I can't even start up my game, it just gives me a black screen and then crashes to the desktop. I can think of a million things I could have done with those 20 dollars, but now I'll never get them back, and I have a right to be irritated about it.
Exactly, I just restarted my computer with the driver update and it works now, but this does not make me feel any better that other people still can't try it out, I'm sure that when I go online there will be bugs but no-one deserves to to have to trouble shoot a game when they buy it, its like going and getting a double cheese burger without the cheese, in this instance the only reason you bought the burger in the first place. No-one in their right mind buys a game to just have a pretty icon on their desktop... or maybe they do? people spend their money on all sorts of stuff that others might find useless.

Ataru04
10-23-2011, 10:53 AM
I e-mailed you guys a crash dump and my dxdiag the other day, will I eventually here back from you or is the volume of e-mails large enough that you're not going to be replying to people individually? Completely understandable if that's the case; have you figured out what's caused the black screen on start up crash for those of us not using nvidia cards?

usmcjoop
10-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm also getting not really frequent crashes, but occasional ones. I can play 2-3 games, and then my game (sometimes even my computer (ill have to reboot)) will completely freeze up. ATI user by the way, and everything is up to date

Schaffner
10-23-2011, 11:40 AM
At first when I started the game, I could at least launch it and come to the loading screen, before it crashed without any error report.

But now it crashe on start-up, also without error report.

Please Overkill help me

moatdd
10-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm also experiencing a crash at startup. It's happening on Win7x64 on a quad-core 2.4Ghz on dual crossfired ATI Radeon 3800's

i3lueHorneT
10-23-2011, 12:10 PM
I just want to give a big thanks to the devs for keeping us informed and up-to-date, this is not typical of dev studios and the community appreciates it.

ikillu64
10-23-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm having the same problem as cooldust was having. I installed 11.9 for my ATI Radeon 5870 and it didn't work. Restarted my PC and it didn't work, and reinstalled and it still doesn't work. I hope there is something I can do to get my friend that gifted PAYDAY to me his money back.

overkill_bo
10-23-2011, 08:51 PM
To all of you above have you done what VALVE suggests here

[Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your PAYDAY: The Heist installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\common\payday the heist\)

...\Steamapps\common\payday the heist\redist\PhysX\PhysX_9.10.0513_SystemSoftware. exe

Also you might want to REBOOT your computer after this too if the above still does not work.

ATI users make sure you run driver 11.9

Thx

Bo

xenu
10-24-2011, 01:15 AM
thanks for the post. works wonderfully for me loving it

ikillu64
10-24-2011, 05:08 AM

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196660

Thx

Bo
I tried that and it still doesn't work. I expected to at least be able to run the game, but I can't even get to the main menu.

overkill_bo
10-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I tried that and it still doesn't work. I expected to at least be able to run the game, but I can't even get to the main menu.

Please send me your crash log and we will go through that to see the issue

info@overkillsoftware.com

Bo

moatdd
10-24-2011, 12:22 PM

Thx

Bo

Yes I have. I'm now getting a game that runs some of the time, but only when I have all my other monitors active and Crossfire disabled. Also I am experiencing random mini-freezes.

semy32
10-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Thx

Bo

I tried that too but it didn't work for me, I still get the black screen.

overkill_bo
10-24-2011, 02:29 PM
I tried that too but it didn't work for me, I still get the black screen.

Please send me your crash log and Ill help. info@overkillsoftware.com

Bo

Shex
10-25-2011, 12:28 PM
GRZ!!!!!!!!!

Aceshogon
10-25-2011, 02:05 PM
I was wondering if this problem is still being worked on since I tried the fixes listed, which of course failed to fix my the problem since physx won't uninstall the old version of because it can't find a file. I really would like to play this game. So ya any more ideas?

ikillu64
10-25-2011, 07:38 PM
After reinstalling my game. It is working, so that's awesome.

nickywlk21
10-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Hi Bo, i sent the crash file for you, still waiting for your reply, please help, thanks. Nick

Bun Crusher
10-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Thx

Bo

vBulletin Message
No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

overkill_bo
10-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Valve removed post but it is in the top of this one. Just a repeat here:

Exit Steam entirely.

xxPowersxx
10-26-2011, 08:20 AM
My physx exe tells me my current one is newer than the one trying to install. Does this prevent my possible fix?

overkill_bo
10-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Can you uninstall the PhysX driver (not thegfx driver) and try again?

xxPowersxx
10-26-2011, 08:30 AM
actually checked my physx version im running 9.10.0514. This one is having trouble also?

Schaffner
10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I installed the physx from the folder, and it works fine, but i canīt install the directx because of a "corrupted CAB data". Then i tried installing it from an external source, and it told me "Your current version is up to date".

Still the game is not running, sometimes I am not even able to get into the menu.

Please Help Me :(

overkill_bo
10-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Exactly, I just restarted my computer with the driver update and it works now, but this does not make me feel any better that other people still can't try it out, I'm sure that when I go online there will be bugs but no-one deserves to to have to trouble shoot a game when they buy it, its like going and getting a double cheese burger without the cheese, in this instance the only reason you bought the burger in the first place. No-one in their right mind buys a game to just have a pretty icon on their desktop... or maybe they do? people spend their money on all sorts of stuff that others might find useless.

I'm sorry but drivers change after release of games, It does happen and it is tricky to compensate for it before release.

Thanks

Bo

overkill_bo
10-26-2011, 12:43 PM
I installed the physx from the folder, and it works fine, but i canīt install the directx because of a "corrupted CAB data". Then i tried installing it from an external source, and it told me "Your current version is up to date".

Still the game is not running, sometimes I am not even able to get into the menu.

Please Help Me :(

You need to send me the crash log for me to see where outside the game it crashes.

This sounds like the install got corrupted.

Send the crash to info@overkillsoftware.com

DrKersh
10-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I can't unninstall physx drivers, the last nvidia driver looks like inludes it in graphic driver not on an standalone package.

If I try to install physx from the folder it doesnt do anything, click on install, window stays for infinite without doing anything.

Bumblecorgis
10-26-2011, 05:13 PM
I currently have an ATI mobility radeon hd 5650 and I was wondering if I should remove a program in the control panel called Nvidia PhysX, should I be uninstalling that one? Also, my screen has these checkerboard looking bars that flash red along down the screen before it goes black and ends up crashing (though it says AMD driver has stopped working and recovered which I believe may be a problem with AMD but I'm not sure). I just upgraded to 11.9 but didn't try it out yet. My graphics card is a laptop graphics card. Would be greatly appreciated if anyone can tell me if my card can actually run PayDay: The Heist.

xxPowersxx
10-26-2011, 05:36 PM
I keep reading send your crash logs. Where do you find crash logs...

overkill_bo
10-27-2011, 05:34 AM
I keep reading send your crash logs. Where do you find crash logs...

Hi

Right here:

You can find your crash rapport in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\payday the heist named something along the lines of "payday_win32_release_1210574_crash_2011_10_22T0_4 7_13C0.mdmp"

xxPowersxx
10-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Email sent with crash logs and dxdiag.

italnerd82
10-30-2011, 06:48 AM
I click to play the game on steam and the screen goes black but after a few seconds the mouse symbol dissapears and the screen stays black. If i plug in my headphones i can hear the sound of the game playing fine without any skips or anything to make it seem like its just lagging. :confused:
I have a Raedon 9800pro graphics card with ATI drivers, Intell Pentium 4 3.00GHz, about 2 gigs of RAM, Direct X 9 with windows xp home 32 bit with all the latest updates

xxPowersxx
10-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Is that video card even close to the minimum specs? lol

semtex43
10-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Just got a ctd while playing.
1st time after 50+ hours of playing. Looks like some random stuff maybe related to host bandwidth issues :(

Log was sent to info@overkillsoftware.com.

mortogan
11-04-2011, 12:11 AM
:mad:Excuse me buddy, but we have every right in the world to be angry with the devs after we paid them good money and they gave us a faulty buggy game in return. I can't even start up my game, it just gives me a black screen and then crashes to the desktop. I can think of a million things I could have done with those 20 dollars, but now I'll never get them back, and I have a right to be irritated about it.

DarthLurtz
11-04-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm not even able to launch the game, seemingly. I get the regular Steam message that the game is launching, and then nothing happens.

I've done the PhysX re-install the Valve thread talks about, and restarted my pc several times, and still no game.

Any other advice?

tru89x
11-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm not even able to launch the game, seemingly. I get the regular Steam message that the game is launching, and then nothing happens.

I've done the PhysX re-install the Valve thread talks about, and restarted my pc several times, and still no game.

Any other advice?

I am getting the same thing. And it is really ticking me off since i just paid $20 for a game that i can not play now that i know i can run.

odweaver
11-04-2011, 08:33 PM
I am getting the same thing. And it is really ticking me off since i just paid $20 for a game that i can not play now that i know i can run.

Could be worse, I got this with the refund credit from sword of the stars 2.

nanitx
11-05-2011, 05:03 AM
I start the game. I play for a while. Then it gives me the BS (Black Screen not the other bs... but that too). HELP!

Overkill_Ilija
11-05-2011, 05:37 AM
I start the game. I play for a while. Then it gives me the BS (Black Screen not the other bs... but that too). HELP!

can you mail your crashlog to info@overkillsoftware.com

You will find the crashlog in steamapps\common\payday

also send your PC specs, and DXdiag

xxPowersxx
11-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Is anyone going to help me, or am i the black guy on the forums? Whom no one helps?

Yomommassis
11-05-2011, 11:13 AM
the crash log is located at

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\PAYDAY\

every time it crashes I have to a all lot of logins (Google acount, facebook,etc.)... Ty.

what?

mastarpete
11-06-2011, 03:09 PM
I had been using the Nvidia 285.38 beta driver (9.11.0621 Phys X) when I first installed payday and things ran fine. However yesterday I installed the latest WHQL 285.62 (also with 9.11.0621 Phys X) which overwrote the version of Phys X that "shipped" with payday and that gave me a black screen with a CTD within 3 seconds.

I was able to fix it by uninstalling Phys X, and installing the version in the %payday%\redist\ directory. I didn't even have to reboot or reload steam.

I realize APIs can change over time but it still seems counter intuitive that upgrading to the latest non-beta Phys X breaks a game so badly. :rolleyes:

sys info
Athlon FX-62, 4gig ram, Win 7 Ult x64
Geforce 8800GTS 640mb

hooligan76
11-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Have the same black screen-back to desktop problem. It did work on my Asus 210 silent, yesterday I switched to Radeon HD 6850 and it work work anymore. Sad, I only tried it once for two mins :)

Terrorists wins
11-12-2011, 01:12 PM
So apparently my 19 euros went away for nothing, since, apparently, Payday doesn't take a 1150 series ATI Radeon card. I launch the game, I hear background music, but the screen is black.

Guess I'm gonna have to use a couple hundreds of bucks to get something that CAN launch it. If we weren't low on money. So I'll probably be able to play in two months if I focus all my money towards the new pc/laptop.

Thanks devs.

Overkill_Ilija
11-14-2011, 02:20 AM
So apparently my 19 euros went away for nothing, since, apparently, Payday doesn't take a 1150 series ATI Radeon card. I launch the game, I hear background music, but the screen is black.

Guess I'm gonna have to use a couple hundreds of bucks to get something that CAN launch it. If we weren't low on money. So I'll probably be able to play in two months if I focus all my money towards the new pc/laptop.

Thanks devs.

Always good to check out the minimum specs before you buy a game. Not much more we can do about that ( I sense that thank you is sarcastic) What you can do until then is mail your complete specs, a dxdiag and if you have a crashdump in ( steamapps\common\payday) and Ill have a look at it, maybe its something else that the card that we can help you with. But Im afraid that you do not meet the required minimum specs, and probably not much we can do, but mail it, and we will have a llok, better to try and fail than not trying at all.

PondLife65
11-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I couldn't get this running at all since launch and followed all the advice here. However, a couple of days ago I installed the latest PhysX driver from the Nvidia website and it works flawlessly now. The one in the game folder that is advised here did nothing for me. This is on an AMD 6950 and core i5. Smooth as silk and getting some level up s now.

Overkill_Ilija
11-15-2011, 02:11 AM
I couldn't get this running at all since launch and followed all the advice here. However, a couple of days ago I installed the latest PhysX driver from the Nvidia website and it works flawlessly now. The one in the game folder that is advised here did nothing for me. This is on an AMD 6950 and core i5. Smooth as silk and getting some level up s now.

The one in the game folder works, the thing is that a older version needs to be uninstalled "properly first trough the control panel add/remove programs" And cant just have another version installed on top of it.

Anyways, its good to hear it works for you now :)

xxPowersxx
11-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Guess I am the blackguy on the forum. Since my post's have gone unanswered for the most part. Thanks for emailing back my results you found with my crash logs Bo....

hooligan76
11-17-2011, 08:51 AM

Not here. Did proper uninstall and installed latest physx, same problem.

Ninj
11-21-2011, 02:58 PM
I've found that if I reinstall the physx drivers as detailed in the first post, it works well for that day.

However, the next day I play, I start experiencing problems with the game freezing midgame then black screen'ing/crashing to desktop. Time to send some crash dumps to overkill, the more information they have then hopefully a long term solution can be worked out.

YrMiö
11-21-2011, 11:10 PM
My solution was totally uninstall nvidia drivers then install latest betas (285.79) and everything works perfect now.

Sorry my bad english.

Mush'
11-23-2011, 12:23 PM
I purchased Payday at the launch... I cannot play since the launch.

Black screen is a real nightmare. Can you help me? I sent you my crash logs and Dxdiag at info@overkillsoftware.com but any answer.

I have an ATI graphic card HD6800, driver is up-to-date... I have any idea what's my problem.

Help? please :(

GetWrekt
11-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Thank you so much for the PhysX fix! It worked like a charm :)

semy32
11-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Sent email,waiting for answer.

l4d3
11-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Got my black screen issue fixed.

>Go to add/remove programs and remove Nvidia Physix.

>Downloaded and installed new Physix drivers from here
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.11.1107-driver.html

>Problem solved. No reboot needed.

Nighty
11-27-2011, 03:42 AM
I have ATI Radeon 5450 And ATI 11.11 and it still dosn't work :/
Any help?

semy32
11-27-2011, 06:31 AM
I sent another email to info@overkillsoftware.com

Gurileck
11-27-2011, 09:47 AM
hey, just wanted to say that i was having this issue and the fix worked for me. thanks

Necronaught
11-27-2011, 11:37 AM
q6600 and Radeon 6770 11.11, 4 gig ram, win xp 32. i can't even start the game? Come on I tried the physix fix, why would that affect an ATI card? Nothing works. I can run all other dx 9 games no issues

ticoune
11-27-2011, 01:42 PM
After download, the game crash at start-up. Tried a few time same result. Restarted Steam and it works fine now.

Windows 7 Professionnel 64 bits
AMD Phenom II X4 965 @3.4GHz
Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
CORSAIR 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3 Gbits/s 1 To
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 (Catalyst 11.10)

disgruntled_gir
11-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Installing: Microsoft Directx for Windows for the first time. Step 1 of 1
and then it closes. Earlier this evening it took my steam with it. The process kept runnng but I couldn't access Steam at all and had to reboot.
Afterwards it just gave that error.
So after reading this, I went here:

Then I went my control panel and I was pretty surprised to see that while I had a PhsyX update just yesterday - it was a lower number from the current one I downloaded: PhysX-9.11.1107
I can only assume the 9.10 one must have come from another steam game I downloaded.
It didn't impact Skyrim or Iron Grip Marauders.
I removed it.
Rebooted
Installed the new version PhysX-9.11.1107-SystemSoftware
Rebooted.

I still have the exact same problem. FallOut New Vegas runs the same message and then does launch.

Running Win 7 64 bit.
Manufacturer:Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Processor:AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory:4096MB RAM
Hard Drive:1 TB
Video Card:ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

However my husband on his XP machine is having the same trouble.
What bothers me: I only have one friend that plays this game. I bought the 4 pack and none of them have been able to get it to run. I'll get them to post here.

disgruntled_gir
11-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Ok I found this in another thread:
It seems the Nvidia BF3 beta drivers 285.38 has a PhysX beta driver 9.11.0621 that is causing PAYDAY to crash on start up.
Very unfortunate.
If you like to run PAYDAY do as follows:
then:
Reinstall the PhysX from the Payday folder (this is version 9.10.0513)
Last step:
Now run the payday win32 exe file in the payday folder
Well I can't. When I click: payday_win32_release I get "the program can't start because d3dx9_40.dll is missing from your computer."
I have rebooted afterwards and
"Preparing to launch Payday: the heist."
At least the DirectX issue seems to be fixed. I still can't play.

Edit: Annnnd it took Steam with it. It just sat there at "Preparing..." for 3 minutes and then closed and took steam with it. Steam Service is running. that's all.

OVERKILL_Linus
11-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Please send us your crash dump to info@overkillsoftware.com.

You can find it here:
\Steam\steamapps\common\payday the heist & has the file extension
.mdmp & check the date for latest

Tracer
11-28-2011, 02:19 AM
Gah what a crummy game, should have checked the forums before buying this game. When will a patch that supports ATi drivers 11.11 come out?

oicomovaivoce
11-28-2011, 10:10 AM
getting crash on startup using 11.10

disgruntled_gir
11-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Ahhh crikey, OverKill. I'll send you a screenshot but the game doesn't seem to load enough to get a crash log.

disgruntled_gir
11-29-2011, 06:26 PM
I am so out of ideas. I even deleted the game, deleted the Physx, rebooted. reinstalled the game - same error.
Noticed Phsyx didn't install. Ran it from the game folder. Rebooted. Same.
The latest update for Direct X that I can find is 2008 so it CAN'T be my version.
"Installing: Microsoft Directx for Windows for the first time. Step 1 of 1"
I even get that on FallOut Las Vegas but it eventually launches.

disgruntled_gir
11-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Note: Payday runs well on my XP box. It doesn't like my Win 7 64bit.
This could be the root.

Jon Horkman
11-30-2011, 07:09 PM
I sent you guys @ Overkill my crash text. My problem SEEMS different than all the posts I have read in that my game plays, but only in windowed mode. Though I have only played one game so who knows if it will crash later on.

Also, If I try and change the resolution or change the game to full screen mode, the game crashes. WTF is that? You guys should START the game the other way around, in full screen. Who the hell wants to play windowed mode really? Nobody that's who. But yeah, I don't want to play freaking windowed mode and I can't get the game to run full screen so now I guess I wait for an answer from you guys, hopefully it's easy to fix. I'll check back later and post if they get me going.

camo660
12-04-2011, 06:07 PM
I sent you guys @ Overkill my crash text. My problem SEEMS different than all the posts I have read in that my game plays, but only in windowed mode. Though I have only played one game so who knows if it will crash later on.

Also, If I try and change the resolution or change the game to full screen mode, the game crashes. WTF is that? You guys should START the game the other way around, in full screen. Who the hell wants to play windowed mode really? Nobody that's who. But yeah, I don't want to play freaking windowed mode and I can't get the game to run full screen so now I guess I wait for an answer from you guys, hopefully it's easy to fix. I'll check back later and post if they get me going.

Game starts fine, no window mode here, maybe it's your video card native desktop resolution.

Ok I found this in another thread:
It seems the Nvidia BF3 beta drivers 285.38 has a PhysX beta driver 9.11.0621 that is causing PAYDAY to crash on start up.
Very unfortunate.
If you like to run PAYDAY do as follows:
then:
Reinstall the PhysX from the Payday folder (this is version 9.10.0513)
Last step:
Now run the payday win32 exe file in the payday folder
Well I can't. When I click: payday_win32_release I get "the program can't start because d3dx9_40.dll is missing from your computer."
I have rebooted afterwards and
"Preparing to launch Payday: the heist."
At least the DirectX issue seems to be fixed. I still can't play.

Edit: Annnnd it took Steam with it. It just sat there at "Preparing..." for 3 minutes and then closed and took steam with it. Steam Service is running. that's all.

This is what fixed my crashing problem

Note: Payday runs well on my XP box. It doesn't like my Win 7 64bit.
This could be the root.

Game runs flawless on my Win 7 64bit machine

Majina
12-05-2011, 07:48 PM
alright I got it to work
exit steam
>steamapps>common>dundef>binaries>redist and run ue3redist manually and it worked.

Jon Horkman
12-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Been talking to these guys via email, sending them my crash logs and they got my issue straight after a couple of emails. Good to see they are communicating to their player base, that's a real plus. My issue was crashing and they got me going with this fix.

Can you please try this for me:

In this folder:
C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Local\PAYDAY

You should find a file called "renderer_settings.xml"

If you find the file, delete it, and try running payday again. ( Payday will then generate a new renderer file for you wich isnīt corrupt)

If you cannot find the file renderer_settings.xml then please try to validate the file integrity of payday trough steam.

To see the "AppData" folder in your documents you need to turn on "show hidden files & folders"

You can do this by pressing the ALT key while in your documents folder, then clicking TOOLS and after that click the FOLDER OPTIONS

When a window opens up click the "view" tab and a bit own in that list you need to choose the option called:

"Show hidden files and folders"

rdcmrt
12-11-2011, 05:50 AM
I'm having random freezes, the sounds starts looping and the .exe has to be stopped manually (via the taskmanager)to exit/quit the game.
Also there are no crash reports, since the game isn't actually crashing but freezing.

I didn't have these problems before the latest patch, my DirectX is up to date as my graphic drivers (ATI 11.11v3).

Posted this because it's not a crash but a freeze problem at my side.

kaidox
12-11-2011, 06:21 AM
I got a big time crash too ! i have the last ATI driver update for my 6950, Catalyst Software Suite 100.9 MB 11.11 11/15/2011, i have the last update of steam. i restart MY pc, i verify the integrity of the game via STEAM, the game wont start, weird because it was working before your update. so now ! im gonna get a refound or you guys gonna work hard for a real update ???

kaidox
12-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Been talking to these guys via email, sending them my crash logs and they got my issue straight after a couple of emails. Good to see they are communicating to their player base, that's a real plus. My issue was crashing and they got me going with this fix.

Can you please try this for me:

In this folder:
C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Local\PAYDAY

You should find a file called "renderer_settings.xml"

If you find the file, delete it, and try running payday again. ( Payday will then generate a new renderer file for you wich isnīt corrupt)

If you cannot find the file renderer_settings.xml then please try to validate the file integrity of payday trough steam.

To see the "AppData" folder in your documents you need to turn on "show hidden files & folders"

You can do this by pressing the ALT key while in your documents folder, then clicking TOOLS and after that click the FOLDER OPTIONS

When a window opens up click the "view" tab and a bit own in that list you need to choose the option called:

"Show hidden files and folders"

Still crashing, not working, i saw in the log, install PhysX, god i'm ATI user ! if this game was made for Nvidia, why they didnt say it before the purchase. THE ART of SCREWING PPL. This will spread all over internet now, starting via facebook and on my steam profil : dont buy any games from Sony Online Entertainment and Overkill ( The heist )

WeltMark
12-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I got a big time crash too ! i have the last ATI driver update for my 6950, Catalyst Software Suite 100.9 MB 11.11 11/15/2011, i have the last update of steam. i restart MY pc, i verify the integrity of the game via STEAM, the game wont start, weird because it was working before your update. so now ! im gonna get a refound or you guys gonna work hard for a real update ???

I get this issue reguarly.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

JoeSoap
12-11-2011, 10:33 PM
roll back your driver to the 11.9 or what driver version was working previously.

WeltMark
12-13-2011, 11:19 AM
That does not appear to have solved it.

Omar007
12-16-2011, 09:32 AM
I've been having the blackscreen/start-up crash aswell but the new drivers of NVidia solved it.

I'm now using the 290.36 drivers. As you can guess this is a new driver family and it solves the crashes (I) had with the 285 drivers.

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/nvidia-geforce-290-36-beta-drivers-released

chourtout
12-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Since the 3.0, i have black stripes on my screen, usualy i play on 1920 1080 (full screen mod), i tried with all the differents resolution but it doesnt work

Help ! it's very boring to play like that,

ps: i have an ATI AMD 6870 card

Rigzar
12-20-2011, 05:30 AM

I have a problem if i run 11.9 driver then i cant play brink... I had the 11.11 driver but could not play brink and retreated to repair

Chrisknot
12-20-2011, 03:10 PM
I dont even have the report thingy file in my payday folder. Now its getting worse.. cant even complete a map before blackscreen.

skellu
12-21-2011, 07:29 AM
I rolled back after patch 3 when I started getting crashes to 11.9, didn't even need to reboot. Let's see how this goes...

vuzterk171
12-21-2011, 11:37 AM
nooooooooooo blackscreen noo-000000000000
im using ati 6870 any fix?

ronkmonster
12-21-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm having random freezes, the sounds starts looping and the .exe has to be stopped manually (via the taskmanager)to exit/quit the game.
Also there are no crash reports, since the game isn't actually crashing but freezing.

I didn't have these problems before the latest patch, my DirectX is up to date as my graphic drivers (ATI 11.11v3).

Posted this because it's not a crash but a freeze problem at my side.

I have this issue. Don't see it mentioned anywhere else.
I've tried fullscreen and windowed. Started off with 11.12 drivers and tried the 12.1 preview driver with no change. I've done a campaign fully once but every other time it happened. It doesn't crash my pc as I can still open a task manager and kill it. Happens in single player also.

MrCocaCola
12-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm getting the black screen and immidiate crash.

ATI Radeon HD 4350 Graphics Card

wizard_47_cpp
12-24-2011, 06:18 AM
Same here. I think i will go for a refund

TaurusBully
12-24-2011, 08:00 AM
ATI users need to try this

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2322777

Rastamontana
12-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Also there are no crash reports, since the game isn't actually crashing but freezing

I have the same problem with Nvidia, i try all solution... with PhysX , directX, usb driver, ...Freeze and sound is blocked And big Freeze, i stop the process manually and paybay is close, engine don't reply and i stop it also manually.

I had this same problem with another game (BF3) (but i can only reboot to exit)

I resolve the problem with the driver for realtek (because not really compatible with punkbunkter.)
I resolve the problem by the command : sfc /scannow

But doesn't work for payday...
If you have any suggestion i will try....

Mariuszz
12-25-2011, 06:39 AM
I bought this game the other day but unfortunately had been unable to play it due to black screens on start up. I'm running sli 580gtx's, I tried all the fixes in the thread, disabled sli, ran as admin, etc....

Finally got the game to work today by closing MSI Afterburner, always have it running in the background because I run my cards overclocked and i'm running custom water so I like to be able to monitor my cards in game. By closing MSI the game starts fine :)

jonnyj03
12-26-2011, 04:47 PM
cool .. crashes 2 seconds after black screen. 6750 here... whats the fix for that all you mention is nvidia fixes.... lol

TaurusBully
12-26-2011, 05:43 PM

SickRamen
12-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Exit Steam entirely.

(USE THE ADD/REMOVE program in Windows to do this. If you dont it will not work.)

I was a bit shocked the game would crash on startup, but after checking forum I followed the steps above and everything runs fine. Thank you for posting the fix.

On another hand I'm not too happy that the game will not with VT/TS, for a coop game that is ironically misfitting.

But hopefully those issues will be resolved eventually.

Happy holidays.

TaurusBully
12-27-2011, 11:25 AM
I was a bit shocked the game would crash on startup, but after checking forum I followed the steps above and everything runs fine. Thank you for posting the fix.

On another hand I'm not too happy that the game will not with VT/TS, for a coop game that is ironically misfitting.

But hopefully those issues will be resolved eventually.

Happy holidays.

I have played while on a buds Vent and also while on my TS3 with no problems

Caliostro
12-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Tried just about everything, can't play. The game will let me "in", I can do everything, but as soon as I try to start a game (online or offline), the game just quits back to desktop.

I tried this thread's solution, tried this one (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2322777), tried a mix of both, tried running as admin, tried compatibility mode... Running out of ideas. I got a metric ♥♥♥♥ton of these MDMP crash reports if they're any use...

I'm running:

Core 2 Duo E8200 @2.66Ghz
3 GB DDRII 800 mhz
GTX 275
Windows 7, 64 Bits

carldoyle
12-28-2011, 04:25 AM
i am getting crashes but no black screen just freeze up with a gun fire sound and back to desk top also i cant install this it wont let me PhysX_9.10.0513_SystemSoftware i get a message saying you cant install this as this it older then the one have, i have already uninstalled the new PhysX from driver GeForce 285.58 my pc spec is this AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-Core Processor - 3.00 GHz with a GTX 260 and 4 gig or rame with xp home

WeltMark
12-28-2011, 06:19 AM
i am getting crashes but no black screen just freeze up with a gun fire sound and back to desk top also i cant install this it wont let me PhysX_9.10.0513_SystemSoftware i get a message saying you cant install this as this it older then the one have, i have already uninstalled the new PhysX from driver GeForce 285.58 my pc spec is this AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-Core Processor - 3.00 GHz with a GTX 260 and 4 gig or rame with xp home

This issue seems to be caused by a change in release 3, I am now struggling to play this game.

carldoyle
12-28-2011, 12:05 PM
this game has messed all my pc up after doing this to try fix this game Uninstall the PhysX from the control panel it did not work now i cant install any of NVIDIA drivers :mad: i get this how can i fix it ??????? http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6715/eeewx.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/eeewx.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

misamisaford
12-28-2011, 01:42 PM
i tried all the suggested fixes but none of them seem to work :( can anyone help?

TaurusBully
12-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Down load the NVIDIA drivers that you need and put them on your desktop, not in a folder but directly on the desktop

Uninstall everything Nvidia using uninstall programs

Go here C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver and delete all the numbered folders

restart as instructed

cancel out of any drivers that are attemping to install after reboot

install new drivers that you placed on your desktop, they should install in the default folder c:\nvidia

if your using a AMD video card do this instead

Caliostro
12-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Down load the NVIDIA drivers that you need and put them on your desktop, not in a folder but directly on the desktop

Uninstall everything Nvidia using uninstall programs

Go here C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver and delete all the numbered folders

restart as instructed

cancel out of any drivers that are attemping to install after reboot

install new drivers that you placed on your desktop, they should install in the default folder c:\nvidia

if your using a AMD video card do this instead

I'm gonna try this, but have very little hope of it working, as I've done the "uninstal-reinstal" process a few dozen times now, all for naught.

It'd still be nice to have an official reply from overkill on this. Costumers are getting locked out of their game... I know they're probably working hard to fix it, but a reply would still be nice.

Caliostro
12-28-2011, 03:11 PM
It didn't work. I'd like to say I'm surprised but I called it. Now, can I get a reply from Overkill, if you'd please?

If I'm sounding "douchy", I apologize. But it's been about a day since these problems started and still no reply back or anything. I'm not running an obscure piece of hardware, or any strange background software. That something this simple would have compatibility issues frustrates me a bit.

Again, I know it's a small indie developer with limited resources and I'm aware they're working on it.

carldoyle
12-28-2011, 03:34 PM
ok i fixed my driver problems i never had this much trouble with any game before

Caliostro
12-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Well... Now it works... I have no idea why. All I did was repeat the same processes I had done before a million times.

If they say repeating equal processes and expecting different results is a form of insanity, then actually GETTING different results must mean I'm well into full-on dementia...

...It's working now... Good enough.

oHg5SJYRHA0
12-31-2011, 09:11 AM
wow I am ATi user with CCC 11.12 and got game crash
after switching back to 11.9 it works

TaurusBully
01-02-2012, 09:04 AM
wow I am ATi user with CCC 11.12 and got game crash
after switching back to 11.9 it works

In one of these thread someone had the exact opposite problem
had 11.9 but crashed. updated to 11.12 and all is fine
seems pretty obvious that its a combination of hardware, software/drivers, & operating system

maybe we should start a thread where we can post our specs and just say the game works fine or not

by using this handy little app
http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy

you will get a summary screen that looks like this

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz 34 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 539MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58A-UD3R (Socket 1366) 31 °C
Graphics
H243H (1920x1080@60Hz)
1536MB GeForce GTX 480 (EVGA) 40 °C
Hard Drives
977GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device (SATA)
313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00B3A0 ATA Device (SATA) 28 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI DVD A DH24AYL ATA Device
Audio
USB Audio Device

Expand Graphics to see the driver version
ForceWare version 285.62

Game Runs fine

iceman50
01-02-2012, 08:26 PM
So what i did was moved my steam directory from one drive to another, it all updated fine etc, but now when I try to start PAYDAY it crashes, I loaded the mdmp in windebug and analyzed these are the reults <http://pastebin.com/uMXeeL0h>

TaurusBully
01-03-2012, 07:19 AM
I would think by moving the steam folder, not sure what you have to gain by doing this but, sounds like the path is broken
Uninstall and reinstall the game

blah604
01-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Okay, i'm going to give this a shot. So my problem is similar to this. Before I crash i would see stripes vertically on the screen the it goes all black.

So i've followed the steps removing and re-installing PhyX (but on another thread for ati, the guy recommened v9.09)

and i tried installing 11.9c driver but it couldn't says package missing so i'm back to 11.12c

Hope this works.

blah604
01-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Okay, i'm going to give this a shot. So my problem is similar to this. Before I crash i would see stripes vertically on the screen the it goes all black.

So i've followed the steps removing and re-installing PhyX (but on another thread for ati, the guy recommened v9.09)

and i tried installing 11.9c driver but it couldn't says package missing so i'm back to 11.12c

Hope this works.

okay.. i still get the black screen and it still freezes my computer, but i played for like an hour... but freezing my pc and requiring to start sucks...

for 11.9 i cant even install it... when i try it tells me application package failed, and i removed all my amd drivers/ files too.

+Cij+
01-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Random Crash in the map First World Bank.
Which version of drivers for video card will play without any problems?
Nvidia is version 290.53

TaurusBully
01-14-2012, 10:24 PM
290.53 is a BETA Driver

Try 285.62
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

JediMastr80
01-16-2012, 01:14 AM
I was Starting to get Random Crashing To Desktop All of a Sudden Now.

I found out I was using and OLDER, Out of Date PhysX version.
Even Earlier then the one in the Payday Folder.

So it must have not updated properly.

I Uninstalled the Older One, then Installed the Version PhysX-9.11.1107-SystemSoftware.msi I downloaded Online.
Haven't crashed since and My FPS seems to be a little better.

Used to be around 30 FPS, even on low settings. Now i hit 40 - 50.

So this Did Help Bo. :D

tonadondo
01-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I was Starting to get Random Crashing To Desktop All of a Sudden Now.

I found out I was using and OLDER, Out of Date PhysX version.
Even Earlier then the one in the Payday Folder.

So it must have not updated properly.

I Uninstalled the Older One, then Installed the Version PhysX-9.11.1107-SystemSoftware.msi I downloaded Online.
Haven't crashed since and My FPS seems to be a little better.

Used to be around 30 FPS, even on low settings. Now i hit 40 - 50.

So this Did Help Bo. :D

it support ATI?

JediMastr80
01-19-2012, 10:11 AM
it support ATI?

I'm using An ATI Radeon HD 4650 (1 GB).
While PhysX is meant for Nvidia, Updating it does help a little on my ATI Card.

ANY FPS Increase helps.

Oh, I've been playing Much More Recently and even With the PhysX Updated, I'm still getting Crashing and Minimize To Desktop.

So it's not a Permanent Fix.

tonadondo
01-25-2012, 02:21 AM
anyone can fix this thing?

Wed Jan 25 17:08:33 2012

Application has crashed: C++ exception
Could not load geometry because IDirect3D9::CreateVertexBuffer failed.
Direct3D could not allocate sufficient memory to complete the call.

-------------------------------

Callstack:

payday_win32_release (???) AK::MemoryMgr::SetMonitoring

Current thread: Renderer

System information:
Application version : 1.0.0.0
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 cores); SSE; SSE2; SSE3; SSSE3
DirectX : 10.0
GPU : ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series / ati2dvag.dll[6.14.10.7218]
Language : @ID94cca2fdaccfc2cd@
Memory : 3583 MB
Physics : threaded
Renderer : DX9 threaded
Sound : Realtek Semiconductor Corp. (Realtek HD Audio output)

+Cij+
01-25-2012, 07:51 AM
290.53 is a BETA Driver

Try 285.62
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
It's not a video driver.
Read the post on a 1 page - did as they have written. Did not work. The driver does not put on the new. I found a place as driver. I downloaded the program Driver Sveeper. Removed it again this driver.
Now able to install it again. The problem is gone.

TaurusBully
01-25-2012, 10:00 AM
It's not a video driver.
I have 10 minutes a game freezes completely. This is a patch that the developers have done with the game. I hope they corrected it in the new patch. And it is impossible to play.

You can only play for 10 minuets at a time?, and then it consistently crashes, sorry but wouldn't you think that if it were just a driver issue, the crashes would be more random, let me guess AMD/ATI setup,
maybe you have a heat or power issue

Did you update the physics driver as posted in this thread

+Cij+
01-25-2012, 12:56 PM
You can only play for 10 minuets at a time?, and then it consistently crashes, sorry but wouldn't you think that if it were just a driver issue, just taking your 10 minuet time into account here,
the crashes would be more random, let me guess AMD/ATI setup,
maybe you have a heat issue

Did you update the physics driver as posted in this thread
Solved the problem.
But everything is more complicated than described in the first post. PhysX_9.10.0513_SystemSoftware. exe is not installed. Error - in the box is written the word - text -
So I had to solve another problem already.

TaurusBully
01-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Solved the problem.
But everything is more complicated than described in the first post. PhysX_9.10.0513_SystemSoftware. exe is not installed. Error - in the box is written the word - text -
So I had to solve another problem already.

High Five.......:)

Absoloution
02-03-2012, 04:19 AM
I don't know whether or not other people are having this issue... But it (Payday) never crashed before, BUT since I reformatted my computer it's crashed nearly every-game...

I searched the crash logs and it comes up with the following:

-------------
This game requires an up to date version of Ageia PhysX and associated DLLs. Please install latest PhysX runtime.

Callstack:

payday_win32_release (???) AK::Monitor::GetTimeStamp

Current thread: Main

System information:
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (4 cores); SSE; SSE2; SSE3; SSSE3; SSE4.1; SSE4.2
GPU : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 / atiumdag.dll[8.14.10.716]
Memory : 4020 MB
Sound : Realtek Semiconductor Corp. (Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio))

----------------------

Now, I tried playing without PhysX (AMD card) and it crashed randomly (not instantly)

I installed the PhysX from the payday install folder...
Still crashes randomly...

I went to the Nvidia site and downloaded the latest PhysX drivers...
Still crashes randomly....

So, is there a fix for this? or is something solving these issues with AMD GPU's coming "eventually"

TaurusBully
02-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Did you uninstall the old Physics Drivers and delete any folders left
Make sure that your running steam as admin

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2522311

From Overkill_Bo in this thread
Please send me your crash log and we will go through that to see the issue

Bo

josh980
02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
I found that if you exit steam go to your Control Panel, Click on the Programs/Features section then find the NVIDIA PhysX section, and click repair. Once it finishes repairing, restart and try launching the game.

TaurusBully
02-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Now, I tried playing without PhysX (AMD card) and it crashed randomly (not instantly)

I installed the PhysX from the payday install folder...
Still crashes randomly...

I went to the Nvidia site and downloaded the latest PhysX drivers...
Still crashes randomly....

So, is there a fix for this? or is something solving these issues with AMD GPU's coming "eventually"

You are uninstalling these before hand right??

Dirtyboy
02-08-2012, 10:24 PM
One fix a friend of mine did to solve the black screen issue was to install a codec pack. He used the K-Lite one and game worked fine after that.

MAXAMOUS
02-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Kinda disappointed. Tried suggestions in thread. Still getting black screen crash. A release game shouldn't have these kind of issues MONTHS after release..

Oh well, only 5 bucks. Maybe it'll get patched eventually.

Here's my specs: Win 7 Pro, i7 2700k, 8 GB Ripjaw Xs, BFG 275 GTX OC, Creative X-Fi Titanium.

HAO
02-26-2012, 03:31 AM
well the fixes wouldnt work but then I verified cache and found 1 missing file. did the physx install again and it worked. starting to get tired of having to fix games

purplellama
02-26-2012, 02:20 PM
getting engine crash at startup.

dont run vent? revert to older drivers? are you kidding me?

had this game since it came out, how about you patch it?

edit: wow this has been an issue for over 4 months? weak.

RandomMaster
02-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi all.

For those of you still having issues try unplugging everything that is USB based.

http://segmentnext.com/2011/10/22/payday-the-heist-crashes-errors-graphics-tweaks-and-fixes/

If you still have issues. I hope this helps. It appears to be fixed after that so you don't have to keep unplugging your USB devices.

RandomMaster
02-29-2012, 10:25 PM
No replies... hmm. Is it working? :P

Damped
03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Worked for me, thanks.

mr.ioes
03-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Deinstalled physx, installed it from payday redist folder. Still crashing upon launch.

No ventrilo, no teamspeak.

It's weird that the other version i have here is working without any problem . . .

I have 12.1 but I guess that's fine too?

mr.ioes
03-02-2012, 09:48 AM
getting engine crash at startup.

dont run vent? revert to older drivers? are you kidding me?

had this game since it came out, how about you patch it?

edit: wow this has been an issue for over 4 months? weak.

Exactly my thoughts. What a disappointment.

Wittmann
03-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Deinstalled physx, installed it from payday redist folder. Still crashing upon launch.

No ventrilo, no teamspeak.

It's weird that the other version i have here is working without any problem . . .

I have 12.1 but I guess that's fine too?

Yes, I had do this. I have the last ati drivers because Battlefield 3 and it isn't problem for the game.

As it is said the problem is about PhysX. Steam installs wrong PhysX version for default.

mr.ioes
03-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Yes, I had do this. I have the last ati drivers because Battlefield 3 and it isn't problem for the game.

As it is said the problem is about PhysX. Steam installs wrong PhysX version for default.

For some users those steps don't solve the problem. I am one of them.

Cree
03-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Tried it. Crash to desktop.

Tried the fixes in the thread. They didn't work.

Uninstalled.

ArcterZero
03-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Tried it. Crash to desktop.

Tried the fixes in the thread. They didn't work.

Uninstalled.

I was going to suggest this:
Hey guys, so i bought payday yesterday and was unable to get it to run. I would launch it from steam and it would load up a black screen then crash. No pop up crash log but i was able to find the crash log in the steam folder.

EDIT:
Solution!: I found the problem and was able to fix it! If you have a videocard that is not with Nvidia(such as ATI/AMD) then you need the Nvidia PhysX driver 9.09.0408 , rather than the 9.10.0513 provided by Overkill.

Steps:

1. Start --> Control Panel --> Uninstall program --> Nvidia PhysX
2. Download Phys Driver 9.09 from http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0408_whql.html
3. Install
4. Play!

Edit #2: For anyone curious if the newest driver 9.11 would work, it doesnt :/.
Thats the first thing i tried but sadly it doesnt work. The reason it doesnt work is beacuse Nvidia disabled Physx support for any non-Nvidia cards pass 9.09. The reason why you need it even though you are with ATI/AMD is beacuse PhysX is a engine used by quite some games and therefore everyone need to have it for the application to run it.

But sounds like you don't deal well with adversity. Good luck with that.

Valtiel
03-03-2012, 09:44 AM
It worked!! yeah, just uninstalled physx then reinstalled it and it just worked (also directx), now let's go n rob that bank!!!!

Ludu
03-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Is that solution only for people that don't have Nvidia graphics cards?

teioh
03-03-2012, 01:25 PM
installed it, tried it but it crashed, came to the forum, gave the fix a try, still crashed, rolled my eyes and now i'm uninstalling

danmanisa
03-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Got my black screen issue fixed.

>Go to add/remove programs and remove Nvidia Physix.

>Downloaded and installed new Physix drivers from here

>Problem solved. No reboot needed.

Well, it took reading 5 pages of info, but this post worked for me. I exited STEAM, followed the link, installed the new drivers and opened Payday up again. Previously I could start the first level then it would crash every time I started the Heist. So far, it seems to be working. Thanks

danmanisa
03-04-2012, 01:35 AM
After an enjoyable first play of around 26 minutes, I exited the game. Since then, I have attempted to play the first Heist over half a dozen times, with it crashing again at random moments. The last three or so times was like before, just after I press F to start the Heist, get a few shots in then lights out for the game. Very frustrating. Tried the updates and fixes suggested. I will try rebooting AGAIN to see if that helps, but the novelty of what looks like a great and fun experience is very quickly wearing off.

Praaxis
03-04-2012, 08:30 AM
What worked for me:

Find a file called "renderer_settings" (For example C:\Users\Prax\AppData\Local\PAYDAY), opent it with the notepad then change the resolution value according to your screen parameters.

Hope this will help (sorry if my english sucks).

Sanza
03-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Gotta say you guys really jumped the shark with this problem.

I had this exact problem, I followed the instructions, and it was fixed.

I proceeded to fire up the game and have a very good time. So much in fact that I recommended it to about 9 friend I play L4D2 with.

I was under the impression that this black screen problem was only an uncommon one but no, ALL 9 people I told about it had this problem.

Some of them went and fixed the problem but more then half of them uninstalled on the spot. I do not blame them. The ones that did stick with it and played with me had their games periodically crash.

I had a lot of fun with your game but I will not be buying it since I will have no friends to play it with as all of them were so disappointed at all the bugs.

Moral of the story: Don't have a free week for the game if you have not fixed a bug that prevents 90% of consumers from actually launching the game. You really screwed yourselves over not fixing this; it's made you lose a lot of potential sales.

ArcterZero
03-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Moral of the story: Don't have a free week for the game if you have not fixed a bug that prevents 90% of consumers from actually launching the game. You really screwed yourselves over not fixing this; it's made you lose a lot of potential sales.

90%? That is a lot.

92Hotel
03-05-2012, 11:32 PM
90%? That is a lot.

I contest his estimation of the problem, but more fervently I hate his misuse of the phrase "jumping the shark". It has quite a different meaning than "jumping the gun" :o

JediMastr80
03-06-2012, 01:03 AM
90%? That is a lot.

I'm one of the "90%" or w/e % it is, that have Random Crashes.

It's getting to the point i've just stopped playing payday until it's fixed.

I'm tired of hosting a game to play with friends, only for it to crash like 1 - 10 min later.
(And this happens even playing single player, not just online)

92Hotel
03-06-2012, 09:55 AM
All kidding aside, I'm also here as a new player concerned about crashes. I have a nice system with a GTX460, and my physx drivers aren't beta (if that even matters for Geforce users). I don't see any help tips on this that seem to apply to me. Latest drivers blah blah blah.

I like this game! I haven't played a lot yet, only level 21 now after doing a few solo missions and a handful online, and most of them were crash free. But I had a few crash to desktop that I can't figure out, and the last one was just seconds before completing a mission with a friend, so it's a nasty let down and I guess I missed out on some nice cash too.

Since the game cost five bucks I'm not mad about it, but if this happens a couple more times it's a deal breaker for the time being.

eLMuni
03-08-2012, 08:36 PM
i cant believe this... i pay for a game full of crashes.

Kastoremaru
03-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Game installs Nvidia PhysX even though there isn't an Nvidia card in my system. Black screen on launch then crash.

Megahrun
03-09-2012, 12:40 PM
I can start game and play normaly, but sometimes my pc just shut down. I tried to install previous version of physX, but it still crashes. What should I do to play normally?

MuadRus
03-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Win XP 32, Radeon x850, latest drivers, Physix deistalled via add\remove program, reinstalled after reboot from Payday steam folder, directX too, new codecks installed, C++ redist. installed 2005-2010, net framework 3.4-40 installed, XNA framework installed, render settings edited manually in appdata\local, tried windowed mode - same result - Black screen, can hear music, sound of buttons beeping - no picture. Help please.

oltem4682
03-10-2012, 06:56 AM

Can't find PhysX by ADD/REMOVE program in Windows

MuadRus
03-10-2012, 12:11 PM
oltem4682

Search for "Nvidia PhysX" or "AEGIA PhysX".

ArkhamVonWicker
03-10-2012, 05:10 PM
My buddy bought Payday and for some reason only the Bank level will run. Every other level he gets a 'no signal' from his monitor and has to reboot his pc. The bank runs fine, no lag nothing out of the ordinary. Here's his crash log. Any pointers I can tell him?

[string "core/lib/managers/controller/corecontroller..."]:199: Tried to create a controller with a name "41.166652679443" that already exists.

SCRIPT STACK

Callstack:

payday_win32_release (???) AK::Monitor::SetLocalOutput

Current thread: Main

System information:
CPU : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 cores); SSE; SSE2; SSE3
GPU : ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series / aticfx32.dll[8.17.10.1114]
Memory : 4095 MB
Sound : Realtek Semiconductor Corp. (Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio))

oltem4682
03-11-2012, 06:16 AM
oltem4682

Search for "Nvidia PhysX" or "AEGIA PhysX".

Thanks for the information but i tried to search to AEGIA PhysX and found it and installed it. But when it tried to install it says that it already is been installed but i didn't find AEGIA PhysX or NVIDIA PhysX in the software list of windows or the add/remove list of windows.

So somebody knows how to fix this?

Here you have my computer information:

CPU:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz

Bios Name:
Name: BIOS Date: 03/05/08 17:17:05 Ver: 08.00.12
Version: American Megatrends Inc. 1006

RAM:
4.0 GB

Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Video Card:
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

David_VI
03-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Are the 11.9 drivers still reccomended or is it just they were the best at the time?

My friend can run the game but it often crashes, happened a few times on Panic Room and the Bank, but not on Bridge so far.. Odd!

tehsuk
03-18-2012, 10:47 AM
I was having problems with random crashes, freezes, and sound loops that required Ctrl-Alt-Delete and Taskmanager to kill the process/game.

Clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers did not correct the issue,

Nvidia 296.10
PhysX 09.12.0213

but then I validated my game files in Steam:

Go to Library
Right click PAYDAY: The Heist
Click Properties
Click Local Files tab
Click Verify Integrity of Game Cache...

After the Validation popup finished 100%, I saw a brief popup in the lower right corner of the screen saying Payday had finished downloading, telling me something was corrupted or missing, and now the game plays fine.

ArcterZero
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I've been having pretty bad issues for about three weeks. I had thought initially that it was hardware related, but in testing different things and talking to friends, it seems more something that's developed within my game client.

It started with short freezes of a few seconds, which got worse over time. By the second week, I couldn't play for more than about ten minutes. First all sound would cut out, then the game would completely freeze, requiring a hard reset. The computer would say disk read error and be unable to turn back on for a while.

I did a full OS reinstall which actually made it worse, with black crash startup screen. I don't experience any of the same issues while playing other games.

I lowered the resolution from 1920x1080 to the next lowest, and it seems to have fixed the sound/freeze issue, but I'm still getting crashes when I finish games. It seems this happens specifically when the game tries to save after completing a heist.

Is there something I can do to fix this? Any important information I need to provide? This is by far my favorite game, and I would like to be able to reliably play it again.

EDIT: Previous fix of lowering resolution hasn't helped after all. Uninstalled all things to do with Nvidia, ran Driver Sweeper and installed most recent Nvidia update. Did not help. Got exact same sound lag / crash issue tonight. I did an Alt+F4 quit when the sound started lagging out and sounds from the game continued to play for about 30 seconds after the game was shut down.

Based on something I read here (http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/mirror-s-edge-incredible-physx/1249559), I deleted the PhysXLoader.dll file from my Payday folder. An initial game attempted after this deletion ran with zero hiccups, but it was only one game and only single player. Will continue testing it out.

EDIT: Played several online games with no problems whatsoever after deleting the PhysXLoader.dll file. I am feeling cautiously optimistic that it's fixed. Will try bumping my resolution back up next.

EDIT: Almost completely broken again even after lowering all graphics options. Something in this game in particular just refuses to run on my computer now. Don't know if it's hardware or software, though it seems to be software. I'm giving up on this until after the patch. Hopefully the patch helps.

010Tim
04-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Vaccum out your computer. Worked with me.

rdcmrt
04-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Damn patch 5 is live but the game is still freezing in mid game.

Think i'm gonna uninstall this game, it's unplayable like this.
This it the only damn game i have that freezes in mid game.

Scorpio27
04-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Tried the fix in OP but get this error "A DLL required for this install to complete could not run"
anyone know how fix?

dark lord
04-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Email sent with the crash reports

dark lord
04-14-2012, 10:26 AM
I tried every possible solutions describerd here and actually none of them worked. I reinstalled Physix drivers dunno how many ♥♥♥♥in times, reinstalled the game, updated driver x but still its NOT WORKING!!!!!!! You know, Im getting seriously ♥♥♥♥ed up by the fact that I have paid abour 19 bucks(!!) for a game which refuse to work correctly. So thats all about supporting the developers. Thank you anyway for reminding me not to ever buy any game made by you >_>

Nox13last
04-20-2012, 04:10 PM
I tried every possible solutions describerd here and actually none of them worked. I reinstalled Physix drivers dunno how many ♥♥♥♥in times, reinstalled the game, updated driver x but still its NOT WORKING!!!!!!! You know, Im getting seriously ♥♥♥♥ed up by the fact that I have paid abour 19 bucks(!!) for a game which refuse to work correctly. So thats all about supporting the developers. Thank you anyway for reminding me not to ever buy any game made by you >_>

Cry some moar. This game isn't even officially released. It's still in beta (and is, thus, buggy). You knew what you were getting into. Don't blame them, they in no way guaranteed that this game would work for your software. So sit down and grow up.

Threshstar
05-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Okay, so I'm wondering if anyone else has THIS problem:

I can open the game fine, play matches without any issues. HOWEVER, if I try to quit the game at ANY TIME, or minimize out of it, it will give me the black screen and keep playing the music like nothing's wrong.

I've uninstalled and re-installed various versions of PhysX for Nvidia, tried running it as an administrator, disabled different visual options, nothing changes.

My specs are:
Windows 7 Home
Intel i7 quad core
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti

What makes me even angrier is that I lost 3 levels worth of upgrades trying to fix this issue. I really like playing the game but now I'm considering removing it because I may not be able to progress in leveling since, you know...I can't quit the game - it won't allow it without crashing every time!

Anyone else have this issue? Any major fix? Tried 'em all on this forum post - no go.

Khamakazee
05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Can't even start the game. It goes to a black screen and then back to my desktop.

Windows 7 64bit
AMD 6100 CPU
Gigabyte 6850 GPU

THOR19
05-17-2012, 02:38 AM
I using ATI RADEON HD 5650.sometime the game go in crash...i must follow this steps? thanks

syrus_le_virus
05-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Crash crash crash...
I'm playing Payday since a while but since patch 3 or 4 random crash appears!
I can play many hours with no bugs and some times 2, 3 times in same game crash!!

CONFIGURATION :
* Gigabyte P55A-UD3R with last bios (F13)
* Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bits - Build 7601
* 4 Go RAM
* Intel i5 2.67 GHz (non overcloked)
* NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (non overcloked)

I tried many things but nothing work and start me boring!!! I have :
-Verified the game cache of Payday trough the Steam Interface => Not working
-Removed all the game and reinstall it => Not working
-Defragmented the hard drive => Not working
-Renamed the "PhysXLoader.dll" file by "PhysXLoader2.dll" in the Payday diretory => Not working
-Renamed the Steam "ClientRegistry.blob" file to force an update from Steam => Not working
-Updated the system with the last nVidia drivers (including PhysX) => Not working
-Uninstall, reboot then install PhysX_9.10.0513 drivers from the redist folder from Payday => Not working
-Updated the system with the last audio drivers => Not working
-V-sync disabled => Not working
-PhysX processor manualy set on my GTS 250 instead of "automatic" => Not working
-Disabled all enhancements" like in the screen : http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/3074/sr2speakers.jpg => Not working

My computer case is clean, no dust, no fan on processor (watercooling), no overheating, no overcloaking.
Each time : time loop before crash then I should kill the payday process to go back on the desktop...
I have no *.mdmp files. What should I do in order to have some? Cause each time I should to kill the process there is no mdmp files created...

Any other ideas? Thanks!!

dark_inferno
05-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Can't even start the game. It goes to a black screen and then back to my desktop.

Windows 7 64bit
AMD 6100 CPU
Gigabyte 6850 GPU

Having this issue since the new update too

Windows XP Service Pack3
2GB Ram
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+
Geforce GTX 560

Clefrigh
05-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Having this issue since the new update too

Windows XP Service Pack3
2GB Ram
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+
Geforce GTX 560

+1

I have this problem too since last update :mad:

motrin
05-25-2012, 12:59 PM
i don't get random crashes but i get the game randomly closes on me. with no error or anything. annoying it is.. i bet people online think im a jerk

syrus_le_virus
06-04-2012, 12:40 AM
I believe that game crash when online playing... Have played a lot solo in order to have some weapon achievements and no crash. Hop patch 10 will correct everything!

DewkNoukem
06-04-2012, 04:49 AM
Syrus, try this:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2201426

syrus_le_virus
06-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Syrus, try this:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2201426
I will try this tonight! Thanks guy :)

syrus_le_virus
06-05-2012, 02:42 AM
I will try this tonight! Thanks guy :)

No crash during the nightly gaming :D!! Thinks it's work but will confirm this in few day after several nights to play!

syrus_le_virus
06-12-2012, 04:54 AM
No crash during the nightly gaming :D!! Thinks it's work but will confirm this in few day after several nights to play!It doesn't work :(! I continue to have some random crash from time to time... Sound is starting looping during 2/3 seconds, game freeze and no other choice to kill the payday process :(

mantis949
06-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Cry some moar. This game isn't even officially released. It's still in beta (and is, thus, buggy). You knew what you were getting into. Don't blame them, they in no way guaranteed that this game would work for your software. So sit down and grow up.

you know I'm starting to think I'm in a similar situation where I may have lost money on a product that does not work. I bought it last week here http://www.amazon.com/Sony-40814Y-The-Heist1-Download/dp/B005QF1OSG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339520886&sr=8-1 - it shows the official release as 10/2011. Are you saying that we are supposed to know that we are paying for a beta somehow?

montyx69
06-15-2012, 01:54 PM
hi,i just reinstalled pay day(2 times) but i have always same problem:it is in english..ok it is not a so big problem but before it was in italian..
language is set to italian (steam and game),i tried to uninstall and install it again but it doesnt help.
i tried to verify cache but it doesnt help..
any idea??
thanx

Nox13last
06-15-2012, 08:22 PM
you know I'm starting to think I'm in a similar situation where I may have lost money on a product that does not work. I bought it last week here http://www.amazon.com/Sony-40814Y-The-Heist1-Download/dp/B005QF1OSG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339520886&sr=8-1 - it shows the official release as 10/2011. Are you saying that we are supposed to know that we are paying for a beta somehow?

Yes. That is what I am saying. That is, if you checked Overkill's website, and did research. It's never a good idea to buy something without first making sure that it would work, that your computer would run it, or if other people were having problems.
Beta or not, though, these things happen. Nobody can predict what would happen on each and everyones' systems. Consoles don't have that problem (PayDay is natively PS3, afaik) because their hardware is uniform. But every PC has different components and different capabilities. It's kind of a shot in the dark when you buy a new game for it. It looks like you're in the unlucky fraction of players.
And the only things you can do are try for a refund (I don't think Amazon does that very well), or hope that Overkill bother to help you or patch it if they know how. So far, they haven't done a terrible job of customer support.
Send your crash dumpfile and your reply-to email address to their support line. Maybe give them a heads-up on Twitter, too.

Or you can throw your dollies out of the cot like Dark Lord did. But who ever pays attention to crying babies in public, aside from wanting to forcibly silence them through concaving of the skull.

Elvis2049
06-16-2012, 01:30 AM
lately i am having this bugg more and more dno why tho ...

when i am playing payday @ random moments all of a sudden i drop down to like 1 fps.
it stays that way untill i alt+tab out of the game and get inside the game again.
after that alt+tabbing the game runs smoothly again...
anyone has an idea what it could be?

pc specs:
quadcore intel 2.88 gig
10gig ddr3 ram
4850 1gig ati vidcard
1tb wd hdd
X48T motherboard

Grock65
06-21-2012, 09:10 PM
having the same problem cant even run the game its starts to load up black screen and then poof what a waste of time ive sit here for like 2-3 hours trying all the fixes reupdating drivers only thing left to do now delete the game from my library.

SayVarRee
06-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Purchased yesterday. Got black screen when booting. Uninstalled PhysX. Installed latest Physx. Restarted. Game works as it should. No problems. Thanks for the PhysX tip.

I have an ATi HD 5850 1GB gfx.

Ozena
06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Yes i wish this would work. Was alittle excited to play with friends but with random crashes every single time I play it's just not going to work out. Maybe next time. Uninstall.

syrus_le_virus
06-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Played yesterday 3/4 hours with no crash. Crash is random. Sometime 2/3 crash per hours sometimes not :-(.

syrus_le_virus
06-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Yep same here, well in the sense that the crashes are completely random but I've never been able to play for more than an hour without a crash since the crashes started happening 2-3 patches back. It usually crashes anywhere between 15 and 35 minutes of play and I've tried absolutely every fix possible but it's no use, the bottom line is the developers broke the game in a patch and are refusing to fix it so I recommend people do not buy the game because it's more than just a few people getting these random crashes and the developers clearly aren't going to fix it.
I've just finished played 2h with no bugs. It's totaly random. It's not so easy as a developper to reproduice a random bug like that. I think they are on the way but still need to wait patch 10 to correct this (I hope :))

Nox13last
06-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Yep same here, well in the sense that the crashes are completely random but I've never been able to play for more than an hour without a crash since the crashes started happening 2-3 patches back. It usually crashes anywhere between 15 and 35 minutes of play and I've tried absolutely every fix possible but it's no use, the bottom line is the developers broke the game in a patch and are refusing to fix it so I recommend people do not buy the game because it's more than just a few people getting these random crashes and the developers clearly aren't going to fix it.

Tell me, are you doing your part to help fix this issue, or are you just sitting there and slander the product and moan about how unloved the community should feel?

If a problem has not been fixed yet, could it not simply be because they don't know enough about the problem? They keep saying that if you have a bug you'd like to report, you should send your crashdump files to them. The more they know about the problem, the quicker they can fix it. What is not helping is you bemoaning about how the developers are "refusing to fix it" (which is bad for companies that want to be successful, by the way).
Overkill isn't a big company, so why not give them a hand with fixing the problem that is obviously grieving you so much, as opposed to kicking them when you don't even know whether or not they deserve it.

They are constantly working. They don't need you whining. They need information from you, from everyone. They could already be trying to fix the problem, and you're sitting there, slamming your desk when it doesn't go right and convincing others to do the same? Document your problems (like in the post linked below). Sumbit things that the game makes for devs to see. Be useful. But don't be a b*tch.

syrus_le_virus
06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
You can also try this to reduice bug facts maybe... http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30844150&postcount=185

Nox13last
06-25-2012, 03:45 PM
As as paying customer I have every right to whine about a product not working, and no the developers aren't constantly working on fixing it because it has been reported many times by many different people (including myself on multiple occasions along with everything I've tried to fix the problem, which has literally been everything) and the developers have not only not responded to those who have been reporting the issue for quite a period of time now but also haven't mentioned anything about a patch coming to fix the issue.

Get off your high horse and stop defending this company as you would be just as annoyed as the rest of us if you weren't able to play the game for more than 30 or so minutes without it crashing causing all progress made up to that point lost because the developers broke the game a few patches back and appear to have zero intention of fixing it.

Way to dodge the question.
And don't tell me how I ought to feel. I've had problems with playing this game in the past, still do. But I handle it maturely and with aplomb.
Here's how it goes, in case you forgot: You document your problems (not including the chronic social projection). You find your crashdump. You submit it all to the developers. You wait until a fix becomes available.
Not difficult. Trying to ostracise the developers is not bonus credit. And unless you work at Overkill Software, you have no hard evidence that proposes that they're not working on a fix.

Ozena
06-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Yep same thing. Just got the update for the game today. I still can't join any online games w/o it crashing, & for no good reason it still crashes in the middle of single player. I can be standing still and simply change weapons and it'll lock up. It's sad.

porkyg
06-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I used to experience a lot of random crashes and have found a fix that has worked for me.

I have a GTX 285, and my game would frequently freeze. The picture would lock and the .1 seconds of audio right when the crash happened would loop endlessly (sounding like a machine gun). I would need to open up Task Manager to close out Payday, which would give me an error window that said "Engine is not responding." This happened very frequently, I struggled to complete a multi-player heist without crashing. I tried the PhysX fix, etc., nothing seemed to work.

My fix is that I installed SpeedFan and had it make all of my fans run at 100% whenever I launch the game. For some reason before only three of my six fans were running at full, and two were completely off. With all my fans running at max, the game now runs smoothly and I have not experienced a single crash in many hours of gameplay.

I hope this helps somebody else who has exhausted all of the other potential solutions.

Milchgeist
06-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I have this game since January 2012 or something like that and I've never had any problems with the game.
Today, Steam asked me to "covert the game content to new format"(or something like that). When it finished downloading some files, I launched the game, it loaded, black screen and crash without any error...
I read all the posts in this topic and none of the possible fixes work.
I'd appreciate if I someone could help me.
And don't ask me for "error logs" because the game crashes without any error so it doesn't even give time for an error log to be created.

gutbur
06-29-2012, 08:20 PM
I have this game since January 2012 or something like that and I've never had any problems with the game.
Today, Steam asked me to "covert the game content to new format"(or something like that). When it finished downloading some files, I launched the game, it loaded, black screen and crash without any error...
I read all the posts in this topic and none of the possible fixes work.
I'd appreciate if I someone could help me.
And don't ask me for "error logs" because the game crashes without any error so it doesn't even give time for an error log to be created.

Same problem here. Steam tech support has been very unhelpful with this issue. I've installed slightly older nVidia drivers, I ran the directx and physx redistributables that come with the game, I've tried verifying cache files, reinstalling numerous times and from different steam servers, etc.

Every time the files that get downloaded stay in my depotcache folder and do not get installed. The game finishes downloading but stays on "update paused" and will immediately pause if I try to resume it.

I've checked the steam logs and I get an error about a missing decryption key:

[2012-06-29 20:36:22] AppID 24240 state changed : 0x0000050a = Update Required,Encrypted,Update Running,Update Started,
[2012-06-29 20:36:22] AppID 24240 state changed (Missing decryption key): 0x0008050a = Update Required,Encrypted,Update Running,Update Started,Update Stopping,
[2012-06-29 20:36:22] AppID 24240 state changed (Missing decryption key): 0x0000060a = Update Required,Encrypted,Update Paused,Update Started,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For some reason this is also happening with Portal 2 now. Same exact problem. Dozens of my other steam games are working just fine, but these 2 are giving me this error.

Nox13last
06-29-2012, 10:57 PM
An error log is created whenever the game closes suddenly. Check the PayDay directory. If you have any files, they'll be named 'payday_win32_release_xxxxx_crash_xxxx_x_xxTx_x_xx C0.mdmp'. One for each time it crashed.

erimos_wolf
07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Worked for me.
Thanks for this help.

SethaX
07-13-2012, 05:40 PM
I can't get past the menu and the game shuts off. Black Screen. No error message, no warning, nothing. I've re-installed PHYSX drivers, reverted back to the one in the "redist" folder in the game directory and still have no luck. Re-installed my Nvidia driver and still no luck. Re-started my computer multiple times, re-installed the game, and I can't get it to work. I'm not sure how to retrieve error logs, I've looked all over the game's directory and other files.:rolleyes: I'm mentally exhausted and lost my desire to even play it for $5.00 steam sale. My brother bought the game with an outdated laptop with an ati mobile gpu and it works fine for him. Are some modern computers not built to play this game?

I have gtx570, i5 2500k, windows 7 (64-bit). I don't know if that information is relevant. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hudson633
07-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Mine crashed, tried to uninstall PhysX but coulden't find it on the programs list from control panel.

So I went here and used the uninstall option, then launch it again to install fresh. The game worked after that.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PAYDAY The Heist\redist\PhysX

craftyard
07-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Wow.. I was really looking forward to this game. None of the fixes here work for me, so it looks like I'll never be able to play it.

Ah well, could be worse. At least I got it while it was on sale, so it's hardly a big loss. Hopefully there will be a patch at some point which makes it compatable.

lezzmeister
07-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I played it during free weekend and no issues, but now I bought it on sale it wont work.

Screen will go to black, moments later, back to desktop.

Disconnected gamecontrollers, installed redist in the game folder itself, closed steam and run as admin, then same for the game. Reboots inbetween. No such luck.

Wonder what the hell the issue is. Is this helpful to anyone? (http://i46.tinypic.com/2db1aaq.jpg)

System = i7-2600, 16GB ram, Samsung830 ssd, Windows 7 x64, AMD7950.

sgtpilko
07-14-2012, 02:52 PM
I have same problem as lezzmeister after payday updated for new file type it hasent been working it starts for 2 seconds with black screen and then closes to desktop. I have tried all the fixes like using the folder exe and running as admin and un-installing the drives from the folder but non work.

it seems like theres no fix or no one is working on one

Nhaima
07-14-2012, 09:03 PM
I've been having problems with crashing during gameplay again, and I haven't had this issue since patch 1 or so. Any idea about what changed?

TehsensenmanN
07-14-2012, 10:39 PM
I've checked the steam logs and I get an error about a missing decryption key:

Were you able to find a fix for the decryption error?

Luca
07-15-2012, 01:01 AM
me to. gtx570. hope you will fix this mess

Crateria
07-15-2012, 03:06 AM
I played it during free weekend and no issues, but now I bought it on sale it wont work.

Screen will go to black, moments later, back to desktop.

Disconnected gamecontrollers, installed redist in the game folder itself, closed steam and run as admin, then same for the game. Reboots inbetween. No such luck.

Wonder what the hell the issue is. Is this helpful to anyone? (http://i46.tinypic.com/2db1aaq.jpg)

System = i7-2600, 16GB ram, Samsung830 ssd, Windows 7 x64, AMD7950.

I have same problem as lezzmeister after payday updated for new file type it hasent been working it starts for 2 seconds with black screen and then closes to desktop. I have tried all the fixes like using the folder exe and running as admin and un-installing the drives from the folder but non work.

it seems like theres no fix or no one is working on one

Same problem as both of you... tried every fix listed on these forums (physx uninstall/reinstall, directx, rebooted multiple times, messed around with renderer_settings.xml file, uninstalled/reinstalled game, run as admin, updated all drivers, unplugged logitech g35/g15 and made sure no game controllers were plugged in, +many other random fixes I found listed etc etc).

NOTHING IS FIXING THIS CRAP. This game used to work just fine for me before this stupid reformatting crap when I tried to launch the game today to play with friends who bought it. Now it crashes on start up after a second. And I know I had this working just recently before this reformatting BS, so wtf?

Ascian
07-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Hello,

Bought this game two days ago; obsessively trying to troubleshoot this game like a game itself, and still unable to play. The game doesn't go past desktop. Already verified the game's cache multiple times, re-downloaded it, uninstalled and re-installed PhysX, switched to a older stable version of PhysX, repacked and uploaded DirectX, manually placed renderer_settings.xml, switched Steam and PAYDAY to admin priveleges, loaded it from Steam file (with and without Steam on), defragmented computer and local file source, ran the game through http://www.systemrequirementslab.com (everything checks but video card, but it's the same for every other game I run), so now that my Forum account is finally verified I humbly ask for some help.

As much as I'd like to figure this out I think I'm done and wish to actually play the game.

The only thing I can assume is the game is not fully patched as the file size is 3.34 GB, despite Steam saying it is 5+GB. But my friend who also bought on the same day in hopes to play together is able to run it despite having similar file size.

TL;DR Game is relatively ♥♥♥♥ed (Does not go past Desktop).

Cheers for any help in advance,

-Ascian

cmac79
07-15-2012, 07:57 AM
i bought this game yesterday.As soon as it downloaed i went to play it,it started up fine and i played without a hitch.Then the next time i went to play,i start it up,but i don't get the crash like everyone else instead i get the no signal deal from my monitor like it was unplugged but i can still hear the game.If i hit alt and tab i get back to my desktop,but if i hit the payday icon on the task bar to bring the game back up my monitor shuts off again.Its only doing it with this game

lezzmeister
07-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Got an hour of gaming in.

The fix? Guess.
Run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2. Will not work if using SP3.
Why? I don't know.

The catch: I believe compatibility mode is responsible for sabotaging my mic ingame. I cannot get it to work, despite it working in other games no issues.

I wonder what the devs have to say about this? Win7 has been out for some time now. I think it should have just worked on Win7

cmaleblanc
07-15-2012, 12:01 PM
"covert the game content to new format"(or something like that)

Same thing happened to mine today when I logged in to play a bit. Attempted all the fixes (PhysX reinstall (3 versions) local catch, change permission to steam and the game, restart between everything), and nothing seems to work, has anyone have a better ID how to fix this?

Was this a problem with the Steam Content conversion, or was it the makes? Who ever it was, I just want my game back... Please?

Crateria
07-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Tried running in every single compatibility mode, didn't work.

Seriously overkill wtf...

cmaleblanc
07-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Just wanted to post this. I was having the same issue with the black screen crash to Desktop without error, found this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2784413

Got it working, just finished Panic room with a team.

TL;DR find "patch_header.bundle" in your Payday Steam folder. Delete it and then "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..."
Downloads the correct information, and off you go.

hope it helps people that are lost!

RavenGlenn
07-15-2012, 03:55 PM
I just picked this game up yesterday on the steam sale and absolutely love it. Played all yesterday without issue...but today the game is crashing to desktop on me like crazy. >.<

KeyLimeGuy
07-16-2012, 12:22 AM
:confused: Hey guys -

I just bought Payday and had an issue where launching Payday would fail and cause all of Steam to stop responding. I am new to the forums and was really unsure whether to post the problem here or in another location, so if anybody has a chance to check this http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31723566&postcount=44 I would greatly appreciate!

Thanks, Kevin (KeyLimeGuy)

sgtpilko
07-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Just wanted to post this. I was having the same issue with the black screen crash to Desktop without error, found this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2784413

TL;DR find "patch_header.bundle" in your Payday Steam folder. Delete it and then "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..."

Thanks you have solved my problem + rep

Landorin
07-16-2012, 05:28 PM

Thanks, that seemed to do the trick for me.
Just downloaded the game and it crashes so fast on startup that I don't even see it launching (but I see the crashdumps in the game directory).

Removed Physix Driver, ran the files listed in the first posting, same result.

Then freed up some space (was a bit low), deleted the file you mentioned, verified cache (was all ok), and game launched. :)

SethaX
07-16-2012, 07:49 PM
"X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\PAYDAY The Heist\assets\patch_header.bundle

Could not find patch_header.bundle in there. Any ideas?:(

SethaX
07-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Ok, after many painful and wasted hours of downloading, re-downloading the game, verifying the cache, updating/downgrading dx11, updating my gpu drivers, and failing to find a patch_header.bundle file, I finally hit the jackpot after I uninstalled my Avast Antivirus.

The funny thing is that I always shut it off (or force close it) before I start steam, but apparently it somehow manages to run in the background and block my game. Maybe "patch_header.bundle" was recognized as a virus? I also uninstalled some other anti-malware programs even though I did not run them or have them on auto-start. I even used a registry cleaner to make sure every trace of it was deleted.

Of course, this is only a temporary solution because I will have to find another anti-virus programs to replace it.
Perhaps adding the game's .exe files to an exclusion list would have helped. Let me know if anything else works or what antivirus you have. I hope this helps!

Notes:
*This also fixed the black screen problem I had from The Walking Dead game.
*I have a windows 7 64 bit and gtx570 gpu.

:D

Good luck!

602gts
07-17-2012, 04:47 PM
When I start the game I get a black screen with sound. I've read and tried everything above. I've reinstalled steam and the game at least twice. Reinstalled my Nvidia driver as well as the PhysX driver... I've turned off my antivirus... Still nothing... Anyone actually figure this out yet? If not, is there a way for me to get my money back? I just bought this game and I haven't been able to play it yet...:(

CosmicFungus
07-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Me and my mates bought the 4 pack of this in the Steam sale at the weekend and all 4 of us were experiencing this problem. What worked for us came from page 11 of this thread I think.

Uninstalling PhysX from add and remove programs and then installing the older version available from here (http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/9.09.0203/PhysX_9.09.0203_SystemSoftware.exe&lang=us&type=Other) has worked for all 4 of us.

AgentJTP9
07-17-2012, 08:09 PM
I don't know which deity I pissed off, but today isn't my lucky day.

1. I have turned it off and on again.
2. I have uninstalled and re-installed the game.
3. I have verified the local game cache integrity
4. There is no "patch_header" file to be found in the "assets" folder (it isn't even hidden).
5. The steam community is not enabled for the game
6. The game does not run in single card mode (I am an SLI user)
the game dos not run in SLI mode either.
7. Both drivers and PhysX have been uninstalled and then re-installed.
8. The game is running in admin mode.
9. Cleaner sees no registry issues with this game
10. I have added the game executable to my exceptions list
11. I have disabled my anti-virus

Something seems to be wrong with the files in the folders related to Nvidia cards. I have friends who use ATI cards and they don't seem to have an issue. IMO some sort of file is missing that allows the program to access some form of video memory. I can input commands (heard by clicking keys and resulting audio output)but have not visual output. The funny thing is that a fresh install did work once, but as soon as the program was closed, the problem resumed again.

602gts
07-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Me and my mates bought the 4 pack of this in the Steam sale at the weekend and all 4 of us were experiencing this problem. What worked for us came from page 11 of this thread I think.

Uninstalling PhysX from add and remove programs and then installing the older version available from here (http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/9.09.0203/PhysX_9.09.0203_SystemSoftware.exe&lang=us&type=Other) has worked for all 4 of us.

I just gave this a try and it still DOES NOT work... I've uninstalled and reinstalled pretty much every Nvidia driver and PhysX version I can get my hands on and NOTHING WORKS. Weird thing Skyrim does the same thing now for me... BUT L4D works just fine! BUT if I set my PhysX to anything other then auto or GPU, L4D doesn't work either... By the way, my Skyrim use to work just fine... so I don't know what's changed.

602gts
07-17-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't know which deity I jarateed off, but today isn't my lucky day.

1. I have turned it off and on again.
2. I have uninstalled and re-installed the game.
3. I have verified the local game cache integrity
4. There is no "patch_header" file to be found in the "assets" folder (it isn't even hidden).
5. The steam community is not enabled for the game
6. The game does not run in single card mode (I am an SLI user)
the game dos not run in SLI mode either.
7. Both drivers and PhysX have been uninstalled and then re-installed.
8. The game is running in admin mode.
9. Cleaner sees no registry issues with this game
10. I have added the game executable to my exceptions list
11. I have disabled my anti-virus

Something seems to be wrong with the files in the folders related to Nvidia cards. I have friends who use ATI cards and they don't seem to have an issue. IMO some sort of file is missing that allows the program to access some form of video memory. I can input commands (heard by clicking keys and resulting audio output)but have not visual output. The funny thing is that a fresh install did work once, but as soon as the program was closed, the problem resumed again.

I have the exact same problem...

Truckchase
07-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Sorry if this has been covered before elsewhere; I haven't been through all the threads;

Try this in addition to the steps in the first post:
1> rename \steam\steamapps\common\PAYDAY the Heist\PhysXloader.dll to PhysXloaderORIG.dll
2> find your PhysX install folder (default is C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common) and copy it to \steam\steamapps\common\PAYDAY the Heist
3> Reboot

I noticed the included PhysXloader.dll included with the game differed from the version installed on my system. Replacing that version with the system installed version cleared up the problem on my Radeon based system. Good luck!

Edit: For clarity, rebooting probably isn't necessary, but I put it there to ensure your system is loading from that directory rather than using one cached in memory from a previous load attempt.

AgentJTP9
07-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Sorry if this has been covered before elsewhere; I haven't been through all the threads;

1> rename \steam\steamapps\common\PAYDAY the Heist\PhysXloader.dll to PhysXloaderORIG.dll
2> find your PhysX install folder (default is C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common) and copy it to \steam\steamapps\common\PAYDAY the Heist
3> Reboot

I noticed the included PhysXloader.dll included with the game differed from the version installed on my system. Replacing that version with the system installed version cleared up the problem on my Radeon based system. Good luck!

Edit: For clarity, rebooting probably isn't necessary, but I put it there to ensure your system is loading from that directory rather than using one cached in memory from a previous load attempt.

It did work for me, but only as a temporary fix and trying to replicate the situation did not work out for me. Perhaps sending the original file to the recycle bin may prove useful. I am also considering a correlation to the steam in-game community and the driver coding for this game as a potential problem.

coldblood3d
07-19-2012, 12:17 AM
It did work for me, but only as a temporary fix and trying to replicate the situation did not work out for me. Perhaps sending the original file to the recycle bin may prove useful. I am also considering a correlation to the steam in-game community and the driver coding for this game as a potential problem.

Steam keeps track of the installed files.. This way you can verify the game cache.

But of course this way steam also "repairs" files you wanted to change.

1xnoodles
07-20-2012, 07:03 AM

3> Reboot

SO you copy the whole common folder to the PAyDay: The Heist folder?
EDit: Nvm I just put the physxload.dll from the nvdia foler onto the payday foler. It works great now. Thanks!

Luckz
07-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Today I had my first Payday crash, while loading Slaughterhouse. Could that be because of Teamspeak3 or is that only related to game startup crashes, not level entrance crashes?

Gustav122
07-21-2012, 12:09 PM
i have done all the things you have said 5 times :mad: dosen work:
i open payday and then after 2-4 sec i shutsdown???????+ :confused: plz help :)

Tower_Mazer
07-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Thank you guys for supporting your game and communicating to the community and not making fans have to do all this like so many other developers do.

mantis949
07-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Yes. That is what I am saying. That is, if you checked Overkill's website, and did research. It's never a good idea to buy something without first making sure that it would work, that your computer would run it, or if other people were having problems.

I checked and all I see is October 20, 2011 as official release for Windows - what date are you seeing as official? Also, I have their recommended system settings almost to a T.

Reksel
07-25-2012, 06:33 AM
This is what happening to me whenever I try and start PAYDAY: The Heist up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed Jul 25 15:18:29 2012

(@IDbf7585933639b68d@, @IDbf7585933639b68d@)Has an unrecognized DDS file type.

Callstack:

payday_win32_release (???) AK::MemoryMgr::GetPoolName
??? (???) ???
payday_win32_release (???) AK::MusicEngine::Init
payday_win32_release (???) AK::SoundEngine::StartOutputCapture
payday_win32_release (???) AK::SoundEngine::StartOutputCapture

System information:
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 cores); SSE; SSE2; SSE3; SSSE3; SSE4.1; SSE4.2
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 / nvd3dum.dll[8.17.13.110]
Memory : 16361 MB
Sound : Realtek Semiconductor Corp. (Højttalere (Realtek High Definition Audio))

I have been unable to play this game for a while and today I wanted to give it a spin, but well... The joy :P
- So it has been like that for a while now.

coldblood3d
07-25-2012, 08:00 AM
TApplication has crashed: C++ exception
(@IDbf7585933639b68d@, @IDbf7585933639b68d@)Has an unrecognized DDS file type.

Sounds like you should verify the game cache.

Looks like it is indeed graphics related.

Reksel
07-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Sounds like you should verify the game cache.

Looks like it is indeed graphics related.

I've already done most of the possible "fixes" I could do, even verify the game cache.

coldblood3d
07-25-2012, 08:23 AM
I've already done most of the possible "fixes" I could do, even verify the game cache.

Well if it is not the game itself then there has to be a 3rd party software issue.. reinstall the dependencies (c++ redist, directx, physx ...) and maybe also your graphics driver. Maybe that helps. My bet is on directx though.

Don't know why it should tell you that it cannot open or recognize a DDS file (graphics file format).

overkill_bo
07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
If you crash on NO MERCY here is the fix

The Steam installer sometimes misses to remove this file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\payday the heist\assets\patch_header.bundle

Please remove it and restart Steam and PAYDAY

Reksel
07-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Well if it is not the game itself then there has to be a 3rd party software issue.. reinstall the dependencies (c++ redist, directx, physx ...) and maybe also your graphics driver. Maybe that helps. My bet is on directx though.

Don't know why it should tell you that it cannot open or recognize a DDS file (graphics file format).

Located inside the payday folder? I tried it, didn't worked :(