PDA

View Full Version : Do torrents/downloads continue on logoff/sleep?

spartan0078
10-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Titles says it all, will my downloads/torrents continue when I log off my pc or put it in sleep mode?

imeem
10-23-2011, 10:12 AM
when u log off. it shouldn't. Putting ur computer to sleep, i'm not sure.

gmodperson
10-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Shouldn't on sleep either, since there would not be enough power going to anything on there. Just power going to your memory to store your sleep settings.

Firestorm998
10-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Sleep mode. No.

Bearkin
10-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Test it out yourself? Look at the % completed, log off for 5 minutes, log back in and check.

SmellyLethality
10-23-2011, 10:16 AM
You don't have to log off to "lock" your computer. Just choose the lock option, it'll send you to the user log-in screen. I know my music still plays when I lock it, so I don't see why a torrent would stop then.

Mutilator7
10-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Sleep mode doesn't stop downloads

Hivomnomnom
10-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Yes it does, at least on Vista 32 bit.

Suitcase
10-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Pretty sure it will stop them. Sleep turns off most processes. Logoff definitely.

Bearkin
10-23-2011, 10:54 AM

Yes it does. In fact, downloads prevent my computer from going to sleep.

chaoticpix93
10-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Sleep mode does for my laptop. I have to change the settings in it or it would do that completely for everything. Especially when the lid closes.

Bud042
10-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Yes it does. In fact, downloads prevent my computer from going to sleep.

Same here

Windows XP

Jagged Tooth
10-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Yes both will stop the downloads.

WereAllDudes
10-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Not on sleep or log off. I have to wait for the screen saver to kick in then finally shut itself down from inactivity, only then it will continue to download. For me, atleast.

BreenGuyLOL
10-23-2011, 02:07 PM
lmfao dude this is so not the right place to ask for torrents.

arisaka
10-23-2011, 02:24 PM

OMG utorrent is ONLY used for pirating things! Of course! Like the Humble Indie Bundles, if you buy it and use bittorrent to download your legally purchased games instead of using direct download (the latter of which will cost the Humble staff money because of bandwidth usage)

Suitcase
10-23-2011, 02:35 PM

He didn't ask for torrents? :?

thotaz
10-23-2011, 02:40 PM

Even if he did it wouldn't matter unless they were illegal

lazy6pyro
10-23-2011, 02:45 PM
OMG utorrent is ONLY used for pirating things! Of course! Like the Humble Indie Bundles, if you buy it and use bittorrent to download your legally purchased games instead of using direct download (the latter of which will cost the Humble staff money because of bandwidth usage)

Even in your specific example, it's preferred to download from the staff so they can do associated stat tracking and the like.

While the torrent protocol isn't exclusively about pirating, it's absolutely one of the most predominant uses of the protocol. As such, the topic is already walking on a fine line.

Suitcase
10-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Even if he did it wouldn't matter unless they were illegal

True, bit pointless turning this thread into another are torrents pirates thread!?! though. :/

We all know what DP says about piracy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUCyvw4w_yk (Don't copy that floppy 2)

OT: Pretty sure it turns off the network adapter when you go into sleep mode. Turn off the monitor if you're wanting to save power, and set your client to shutdown on downloads are complete. :)

spartan0078
10-23-2011, 05:08 PM

I said torrents/downloads, torrenting isn't just illegal/pirated games man, lots of legitimate things get torrented as well.

freeloader105
10-23-2011, 05:11 PM

He asked about downloading, in general.

And, to answer OP's question, the downloads may or may not continue. It depends entirely what protocol you're using to download. If it's bittorrent, then yes, the downloads will resume quickly. If it's downloading a file from a website, through http, unless you're using a download manager, you might not be able to resume the download.

Shadoww0lf
10-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Only locking your screen allows applications to continuing running.

Orko...
10-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Puting your computer to sleep stops everything.

Logging off will also stop the downloads, unless that part of the torrent client is implemented as a service, which I've never seen, however, I have never looked for one either since I don't do torrents.

bdmason
10-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Wow, so many wrong and misguided answers in here. Orko's pretty much got it right, except even if it's implemented as a service, the service will be suspended when in sleep mode.

Sleep mode can go by many different names, including Stand By (for Microsoft Windows 98-Server 2003), Sleep (for Mac OS 8-Mac OS X, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008), and Suspend (Windows 95, Linux). When placed in this sleep mode, aside from the RAM, which is required to restore the machine's state, the computer attempts to cut power to all unneeded parts of the machine. Because of the large power savings, most laptops automatically enter this mode when the computer is running on batteries and the lid is closed.

A computer must consume some power while sleeping to power the circuits required to recognise and act on a wake-up event; a sleeping computer is a case of a device consuming standby power, covered by regulations in many countries limiting such power under the One Watt Initiative to one watt from 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_mode

When in sleep mode, things like HARD DRIVES and NETWORK devices are turned off. It's going to be pretty difficult to download a file if the network and storage device are disabled. If it's a torrent, it should pick back up where you left off when the machine comes back up. If it's a direct download it depends on if you're downloading in a browser or using a download manager and if the host supports resumed downloads, but either way the operation will be suspended while the system is in sleep mode.

Also, I downloaded the latest ubuntu iso's last week via bittorrent. I guess I'm a pirate?

Orko...
10-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Wow, so many wrong and misguided answers in here. Orko's pretty much got it right, except even if it's implemented as a service, the service will be suspended when in sleep mode.
I do believe I said that.

Puting your computer to sleep stops everything.

bdmason
10-23-2011, 05:33 PM
I do believe I said that.

Somehow, I missed the first sentence. :o I was correcting you on the service part though, even if it's a service it will still be suspended.

Orko...
10-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Also, I downloaded the latest ubuntu iso's last week via bittorrent. I guess I'm a pirate?
If I implied that by saying that I don't do torrents, I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention, I don't do torrents because, so far, I've never had a need or reason to use that method of downloading.

Somehow, I missed the first sentence. :o I was correcting you on the service part though, even if it's a service it will still be suspended.
I kind of thought "everything" included services, but what ever, carry on! :)

hairy potty
10-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Noobs! There is a huge difference between hibernation and sleep! Sleep means that just the computer screen is turned off to save power and hibernation means the whole computer is turned off to save more power without losing the content that is currently running, but it will shut down the computer. Sleeping will not stop downloads, hibernating will. My computer sleeps all the time while I download things.

Downloads should still continue even when logged off.

All of which can be configured in power options. I changed my laptop and desktop computers to have the hibernation option off.

bdmason
10-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Noobs! There is a huge difference between hibernation and sleep! Sleep means that just the computer screen is turned off to save power and hibernation means the whole computer is turned off to save more power without losing the content that is currently running, but it will shut down the computer. Sleeping will not stop downloads, hibernating will. My computer sleeps all the time while I download things.

Downloads should still continue even when logged off.

All of which can be configured in power options. I changed my laptop and desktop computers to have the hibernation option off.

N00b yourself. Both sleep mode and hibernation turn off most of the hardware. The main difference is that the computer maintains enough electricity to keep RAM from going volatile in sleep mode and in hibernation mode it writes the contents of RAM to disk and completely shuts off. Sleep mode in Windows is equivalent to S3 in the ACPI implementation. Go look it up.

S3 "Suspend to RAM" MS: Standby (if notified by BIOS)
S3 often needs enabling by jumper on the motherboard or by support in BIOS. The CPU is not executing instructions, is not ready to execute instructions, does not maintain its registers and does not maintain cache. The OS must flush dirty pages from the cache when S3 is entered. Devices able to support S3 and are enabled for resuming, may resume the system. PSU state is off, system RAM is refreshed (at reduced refresh) using 5Vsb. External peripherals (keyboard, mouse) may or may not be able to resume the system, depending on what their host controller does.
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=354552

You can't download anything if the CPU isn't processing the data.