PDA

View Full Version : Dont listen to the flamers , Actually a great game

Muppination
10-25-2011, 01:45 AM
Graphics compared to others is way smoother , combat smoother and better , even able to micro units , Strategy is HUGE so much to do this time around at start - may be no skirmish yet, but multiplayer isnt bad everyone is learning together. Great game for fans or multiplayer strategy lovers

whitknight25
10-25-2011, 01:48 AM
I don't think it has to do with just the gameplay mechs. here friend.

The game can barely be called a released product. I don't know how you received yours, I'm assuming pre-load due to the fact that you're not complaining about french/german language, or failure for the game to even start up properly.

I bought and dled mine from steam roughly an hour ago, and haven't even been able to force start it.

Prinny Plush
10-25-2011, 01:50 AM
I quite liked the change of Stronghold 3 using Stronghold Kingdoms popularity system. Also, buy from Green Man Gaming, cheaper and you get to play in ENGLISH!

whitknight25
10-25-2011, 01:52 AM
If I could xfer over the payment I'd do that. But this is the first problem I've had with a steam game, and I have over 30 games through here - So, I'm gunna stick it out a while and see what happens here.

Prinny Plush
10-25-2011, 02:04 AM
Stronghold 3 uses steam anyway, so it wont matter where you buy it from.

lcmiracle
10-25-2011, 02:34 AM
I don't think it has to do with just the gameplay mechs. here friend.

The game can barely be called a released product. I don't know how you received yours, I'm assuming pre-load due to the fact that you're not complaining about french/german language, or failure for the game to even start up properly.

I bought and dled mine from steam roughly an hour ago, and haven't even been able to force start it.

I Don't get it, I per-ordered this game almost as soon as it's available for per-purchase. And steam just finished downloading and it took quite some time for the first-time set up, but other than that it was fine. I played in english and my games looks pretty good for firefly product, and only once have my game crashed during the game -- which I think was a result of me cancelling the NT fireframe installing process (Didn't even realize I should have that thing at the first place, but whatever, no big deal).

To me, it's a big leap from SH2, which of course being notorious of horrible combat AI, uncontrollable crime, and quite a few optimization issues(such as being laggy even if played on an relatively high-end PC of its time). SH3 at least has simplified UI and much better Combat AI, and most important to me, that it removes the crime system which in many ways broke SH2 gameplay.

So the main issue is the lack of skirmish mode I suppose... Indeed quite a big issue, especial for a game like this it's gonna take quite some time to finish a mulitplayer match -- since it does encourage players to take more time managing their castles/towns more than other competitive RTS titles such as starcraft(the latter of course being know for encouraging fast-paced intense micro-management). I certainly do hope they release a patch/dlc for that -- which I'd think they should make it free. However I've no idea how they'd react to their costumer's responses...

whitknight25
10-25-2011, 02:39 AM
I don't know, from what I've been reading the pre-load/pre purchase was of sorts a different load of the game. If you deleted everything and went on there to buy the game again, it would not be in english...and in my case - not even run.

Fred DM
10-25-2011, 02:43 AM
I don't know, from what I've been reading the pre-load/pre purchase was of sorts a different load of the game.

no, devs in the official forums confirmed the early-released edition (German/French) was the Gold version of the game, so it would have to have been the same as the now released international edition.

whitknight25
10-25-2011, 02:45 AM
no, devs in the official forums confirmed the early-released edition (German/French) was the Gold version of the game, so it would have to have been the same as the now released international edition.

Ahhh...keep reading

There are those that pre-loaded the game, that have an english verison there are those that downloaded it after release that do not...explain that?

Also, explain why the only people seemingly having problems as of yet only have this french/german verison?

ptoner87
10-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Also, explain why the only people seemingly having problems as of yet only have this french/german verison?

Actually, we're all having problems. We might not all be having some problems specific to the French/German versions, but the game is basically broken for everyone.

Prinny Plush
10-25-2011, 03:17 AM
Actually, we're all having problems. We might not all be having some problems specific to the French/German versions, but the game is basically broken for everyone.

Most people, not everyone.

ptoner87
10-25-2011, 03:20 AM
You are the 1%. Occupy Prinny Plush.

Fred DM
10-25-2011, 03:41 AM
Ahhh...keep reading

There are those that pre-loaded the game, that have an english verison there are those that downloaded it after release that do not...explain that?

the point is that there aren't two different builds out there, according to the devs. :rolleyes:

language is a different matter entirely. while the direct download Steam edition is EFIGS multilingual (or at least it's supposed to be) the German/French retail edition is only available in French and German, despite being a SteamWorks game. this doesn't have anything to do with the build version of the game, though.

Inquizitor
10-25-2011, 05:39 AM
I'm not sure what all the hate is about either. There are two campaigns despite someone screaming about there only being one. You have the same Military and Economic campaign options. There is free build with a couple islands. Kinda nice when trying to figure out what is what starting out.

Coming into this I never played Stronghold 1 much, I fiddles with it since it was a preorder bonus, but I played and liked Stronghold 2.

The only real problem I had with 2 was everyone moved WAY to slow. People seem to move a bit faster in 3. Everything was simplified and I'm still trying to sort through the changes. On the medieval life/economy I'm feeling a bit limited. The military seems alot more fun though. I'm looking forward to trying out some sieges.

A lack of a Skirmish mode does seem like an obvious oversight. I am not really interested in Multiplayer at all. We will see how it all pans out. Going into this I read these forums and was expecting doom and gloom. After playing I have no idea what these naysayers are talking about.

FFabian
10-25-2011, 05:49 AM
The game is called Stronghold for xucks sake but from what I read you can't build one:
1. Walls damaged by footsoldiers
2. Maps too small
3. Wall give no defensive bonus

That's absolutely terrible. I waited for this release and I'm deeply disappointed.

aerial_ace
10-25-2011, 06:01 AM
The game is called Stronghold for xucks sake but from what I read you can't build one:
2. Maps too small

That's absolutely terrible. I waited for this release and I'm deeply disappointed.

FFabian its called balance so of cause everyone can damage walls other wise all u would need is archers up on them to shot a siege equipment when it came along. Other two points agree entirely with

I don't know why they wouldn't have delayed it to actually fix the fairly obvious bugs that this game has but ill stick by it even for all its faults as i haven't had any massive game breaking ones yet. Also i pre-ordered it but didn't have a option to pre load it so i could only download it once it got released here and i have an english version

Zeev
10-25-2011, 06:04 AM
c-co-com-comb-combo breaker.
but thanks for your review :)

FFabian
10-25-2011, 06:09 AM
No it's not necessary for balance as Stronghold had a "Strong Walls" option ... and btw it's quite unrealistic. Implement (into the game) a decent Siege Tower mechanic, or Sappers, or pavese/pavise protected archers/crossbowmen, mass attacks from different angles (most of these features were in previous SH titles)

aerial_ace
10-25-2011, 06:24 AM
where is the "strong walls" button because i just looked in my SH and i couldn't find it in the options

FFabian
10-25-2011, 06:35 AM
There is a patch ... just google "Stronghold Strong Walls"

aerial_ace
10-25-2011, 06:37 AM
oo it's in multi i just fired up a single player to look, my bad

chaintm
10-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Well just played 2 missions of it,

I love it to be honest, there are issue no doubt about it, like putting down the stockpile if around trees will not remove the tree and stick threw the stockpile, BUT....

The game is actually really fun, if these patches work out I could see a great game here. For those interested in buying, my only suggestion is ..

If your a big fan, then get it, there is a good game here to be had if you have the patients to deal with the bugs. If you are not a huge fan or where on the fence, wait for the patches and what we "those that bought it" think after that.

Beyond that, I think the graphics, sound and overall feel for the game is pretty epic. DEFINITLY the game was pushed out too early, however it works great for me as is so far and while there are again minor issues (like weak walls etc) hopfully we will see some descent patching to take care of it.

The random sign up today and rage in the forum people I don't get, half of them have their info all wrong about the game anyways, so alas as a true fan of the genre and company in the past. This beats sh2 by a long shot, not sh1, but alas with some patching, I could see that easily happen.

Things like in the ecom campaign there is a cool looking hill, but it's a seperate graphic and if you look close, you can see the seam to the main land it was put upon, (brush overlay graphic 101 needed) but these small issues are out weighed by the fun I am having. Mind you there are some issues again like the guys falling off the wall constantly and 100% always hit bowmen when your standing on a wall etc.. the gap in wall glitch and more, but even with ALL of that, it's still fun, go fig. So take this as you like, but I do see a good game here, will be awsome when patched correctly.

Coolio101
10-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Well just played 2 missions of it,

I love it to be honest, there are issue no doubt about it, like putting down the stockpile if around trees will not remove the tree and stick threw the stockpile, BUT....

The game is actually really fun, if these patches work out I could see a great game here. For those interested in buying, my only suggestion is ..

If your a big fan, then get it, there is a good game here to be had if you have the patients to deal with the bugs. If you are not a huge fan or where on the fence, wait for the patches and what we "those that bought it" think after that.

Beyond that, I think the graphics, sound and overall feel for the game is pretty epic. DEFINITLY the game was pushed out too early, however it works great for me as is so far and while there are again minor issues (like weak walls etc) hopfully we will see some descent patching to take care of it.

The random sign up today and rage in the forum people I don't get, half of them have their info all wrong about the game anyways, so alas as a true fan of the genre and company in the past. This beats sh2 by a long shot, not sh1, but alas with some patching, I could see that easily happen.

Things like in the ecom campaign there is a cool looking hill, but it's a seperate graphic and if you look close, you can see the seam to the main land it was put upon, (brush overlay graphic 101 needed) but these small issues are out weighed by the fun I am having. Mind you there are some issues again like the guys falling off the wall constantly and 100% always hit bowmen when your standing on a wall etc.. the gap in wall glitch and more, but even with ALL of that, it's still fun, go fig. So take this as you like, but I do see a good game here, will be awsome when patched correctly.

I think most of those issues are patchable.

whitknight25
10-25-2011, 08:55 AM
the point is that there aren't two different builds out there, according to the devs. :rolleyes:

language is a different matter entirely. while the direct download Steam edition is EFIGS multilingual (or at least it's supposed to be) the German/French retail edition is only available in French and German, despite being a SteamWorks game. this doesn't have anything to do with the build version of the game, though.

Ok, well It's completely possible that I'm ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥..but how does a pre-release have more language options then the "same version" upon offical release?

masterclam
10-25-2011, 09:08 AM
english english english this is a patch we should not have to wait for, i tried to play a bit as the game seems to run very well but since im not french the story has me confused, i think im tryin to rescue mushroom princess or stop apocolypse , :( not too sure :mad:

fenk
10-25-2011, 12:10 PM
OP, I hope you are trolling. This is not even an OK game, as it is right now. It has the potential, but it's barely a beta. I feel cheated, and obviously stupid because I'm the only one to blame for buying all the hype.

It would be a great beta though.

I'm going to pretend I just played a free preview version for pre-orderers. Now I'm excited. Stronghold 3 will be released sometime next year, and it looks like it's gonna be a great game.

nihilwill
10-25-2011, 12:26 PM
2. Maps too small

While I agree about the footsoldiers thing, FF did gives a heads up about this in development.

The maps being "too small" is a part of the game's difficulty, ESPECIALLY on economic missions. Play mission 3 (the cliffside one, I think its mission 3) and you'll see what I mean. Properly organizing your castle so you can fit all you need and it all works efficiently is a part of the game.

The walls increase your archer's range, but really you should station your archers on towers, not on walls. Walls are meant to be broken and rebuilt. The taller the tower = longer range on archers. Walls also give a drastic defensive bonus versus melee troops too seeing as how they can't reach you and all :P

Also, try building burning logs on your walls. They literally one shot everything, rather devestating. Hoardings can be build to give your archers more durability as well.

fenk
10-25-2011, 12:29 PM
The walls increase your archer's range, but really you should station your archers on towers, not on walls. Walls are meant to be broken and rebuilt. The taller the tower = longer range on archers. Walls also give a drastic defensive bonus versus melee troops too seeing as how they can't reach you and all :P

In any case, one would expect to be safe from spears standing on a 5 meter wall.:p

nihilwill
10-25-2011, 12:31 PM
In any case, one would expect to be safe from spears standing on a 5 meter wall.:p

I can throw a spear 5 meters up. :P

Not sure if it would be accurate or if I could kill anything, buuuut it's not impossible for the highly trained men at arms, right? hahah

Gariuys
10-25-2011, 12:38 PM
So take this as you like, but I do see a good game here, will be awsome when patched correctly.

It might be good if patched correctly... but what happened to releasing somewhat playable games. There is virtually no gameplay to speak of, production balance is horribly off, even at 200% from being a bad... virtually everything is food production. Not enough room to actually build something that looks decent. Bugs everywhere, and most funny of all AVG thought it was a virus...

It really isnīt worth the money in this state. Might be someday, but really getting tired of games being worth the money... someday, just not on release day.

turtlesoup
10-25-2011, 07:19 PM
immature people just love to hate, and 9/10 of them either never played a stronghold game, or just played sh1/2 once on ezmode like 5-10 years ago and think they're some expert on the series. I see complains about difficult/poorly scripted missions, not sure what the problem is there either since I blew through the first 3 in less than an hour on my first try.

the wall balancing is a halfassed pistpoor attempt at baby handholding for mp, I'll give them that much. pretty sure ff will come to their senses after enough whining, probably sounded good on paper but really pointless and unplayable in practice. some testing probably would have figured this out sooner, but they haven't really been known for that lately.

the ai is clearly broken though, no doubt about that. wolves climbing ladders, troops freezing in place if you target enemies outside a wall, failure to attack nearby enemies, melee units attacking troops above is just untested mechanics simple as that. same crap different engine really, just looks way prettier now.

Jackolas
10-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I see complains about difficult/poorly scripted missions, not sure what the problem is there either since I blew through the first 3 in less than an hour on my first try.

OMG UR SO KEWL LOLOL CAN I HAV UR ATUTOGRAPH? KTHX

Directfire
10-26-2011, 12:29 PM
The list is longer than that,sadly.

The small maps,no skirmish,bad pathing... and on and on.

I don't think this game is much better than what an independant developer could do,how could any proffesional company release this trash?

turtlesoup
10-26-2011, 06:18 PM
OMG UR SO KEWL LOLOL CAN I HAV UR ATUTOGRAPH? KTHX

it's not about me being awsome, it's about you being bad.

DocMedevac
10-26-2011, 06:35 PM
As the title says dont listen to the flamers .......... if you want to throw away 50 bucks. on the contrary listen and save your cash, the game is in a pitiful state and is easily one of if not the worst game i have purchased in several years. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!

kingcrolan
10-26-2011, 09:19 PM
i am highly excited about Stronghold 3, but when trying to run it I am getting the message "The game is unavailable, please try again at another time." Can anyone enlighten me on how to fix this.

dan536
10-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Have to say that the first time I loaded up the game I was seriously disappointed. Seemed like there were lots of problems, such as difficulty with mouse pointer, etc, etc...

However, having spent a bit more time on it (just economic missions so far), I am enjoying it more and more. If you zoom in close enough the pointer issue seems to disappear (I realise this isn't a perfect solution). Also, the balance issues with food supply/demand are actually easy to work out once you practise enough.

This game seems to be all about slow and steady progress, with a lot of forethought about placement of buildings, strategy, balancing production with peasant numbers and all the time considering the issues that arise such as negative 'moods' and taxes etc... It isn't about instant gratification. Which is what us gamers have been force fed for a few years now.

I have got so used to fast paced games, that waiting around and thinking things through slowly actually really annoyed me to start with. However, sitting down for an hour or so and not rushing things was pretty enjoyable.

I am NOT saying there aren't issues with the game. There clearly are several(and I haven't ventured into the non-economic game mode yet, whatever that's called) and they clearly need sorting. But, I genuinely think that it is a very good game, that, once patched up a bit, will be a great game.

I hope.

p.s. 1st post person looks seriously suspect, I know. My first post a couple of days ago was going to be one of vitriol, having forked out a wad of cash on what I thought was a borked game. Having had to wait for my account to be authorised let me reassess. Which is nice.

dan536
10-29-2011, 11:48 AM
My Bugbear is why do i get Microsoft.net Framework, preforming "First Time setup" , every time I log onto this game

I kept getting this - so I did the 'verify integrity of game cache' thing you can do if you right click the title of the game in steam and select properties, then click the local files tab. Seemed to stop it happening.

It could have been pure luck on my part, but give it a go, if you haven't done so already.