PDA

View Full Version : Professional Gaming?

MrJohno
10-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Hey people, I was wondering if I could have the thoughts of the thousands of forum members on Professional Gaming.

What is your thoughts on it?
What leagues and ladders are out there for professional gamers.

Also anyone from Ireland or N.Ireland please contact me regarding a professional gaming team.

Cheers.

Dbuntu
10-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Keep you day job.

MrJohno
10-25-2011, 01:05 PM
is that it?

DarthSatoris
10-25-2011, 01:19 PM
To be honest, gaming is fun, but only as a past time hobby. Once it becomes your job, it's not as fun anymore.

I can't speak from experience, but I reckon this is what most pro gamers will tell you.

Also, I doubt you could make a decent living out of it. You have to win the competitions in order to win money, and that's not a given.

Suomis
10-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm quite sure that is a profession that you choose, it chooses you. You just can't become a professional gamer, you have to be good as hell.

monkeedude1212
10-25-2011, 01:23 PM
you have to be good as hell.

Practice makes perfect.

There are few world renouned athletes who can say they got to where they were today naturally and never practiced.

EliteTemptation
10-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Once you start playing competitive, the game no longer becomes about fun, but being better than the other player/team, and that's the only thing you care about

Also I feel if you're starting at an older age, you won't be as good as say someone who has been gaming from a young age, especially hardcore games

I was doing unreal and quake in my young ages, so that leaves me where I'm at today, branching out as a pretty good player in a majority of games, minus RTS

chibi_charon
10-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Once you start playing competitive, the game no longer becomes about fun, but being better than the other player/team, and that's the only thing you care about

Also I feel if you're starting at an older age, you won't be as good as say someone who has been gaming from a young age, especially hardcore games

I was doing unreal and quake in my young ages, so that leaves me where I'm at today, branching out as a pretty good player in a majority of games, minus RTS

This.

There's a big difference between competitive play and public play. Personally, I found that counter strike became a lot less fun for me the day I began playing clanside.
This is one reason why I only ever play public Tf2. I just wanna keep it fun. :P A bunch of friends entered the Highlander thing but even that I thought... nah, cos then I'll start to take it seriously and before I know it I'd be up at 3am practicing rocket jump lines and god knows what.

gotthisfortf2
10-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Practice makes perfect.

There are few world renouned athletes who can say they got to where they were today naturally and never practiced.

yeh i totaly play counterstrikeforce 12 hours a day.gota practice for duh big game

chibi_charon
10-25-2011, 04:06 PM
yeh i totaly play counterstrikeforce 12 hours a day.gota practice for duh big game

I'll bet there are plenty of people who spend that long per day practicing. And by practicing I mean sitting there on one of those flickmaps where there's just a big target and infinite ammo.

The thing with competitive play is that there's always someone better than you.

More annoying than that is when you reach the stage where you're too good for pub but too rubbish for competitive. Thankfully I am still bad enough at tf2 to play public. Pretty much had to give up L4D2 though. Every game was either getting annihilated, or the other team leaving after the first round because they got annihilated. Left me with the choice of only playing when 7 friends were online, or not playing with my friends so I could play more than the first map of dead centre over and over.

Hivomnomnom
10-25-2011, 04:15 PM
I only accept it for having a way to describe awesome things I do.

Example: Drop notebook, accidentally trip and end up with it in your hand. MLG catch.

WereAllDudes
10-25-2011, 04:37 PM
There are so many gamers out there and extremely few professional leagues. I honestly wouldn't hold my breath. Im not saying not to try, but don't get your hopes up.

dachshundfan
10-25-2011, 04:40 PM
MLG is a complete joke... i have nothing more to say...

Azithromycin
10-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Really depends on what you're talking about here..
I respect StarCraft2 players or Dota "MLG" players, however I despise CoD MLG. Its absolutely a matter of opinion and that personally is mine for many reasons I won't go into because I don't want to fight with any CoD MLG Members over the steam forums that probably started the game off at CoD 4 and never even owned CoD 1 for the PC let alone played it.

ShadowMask6
10-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Eh, the only really big one i know is SC2/Sc:BW.

bigcow200
10-25-2011, 07:23 PM

i started gaming when i was 3 does that make me really good?

Gibbo73
10-25-2011, 07:28 PM

True, but if you want money and are very good at plying your craft then why not?

If I could earn money out of gaming, well you'd be a mug not to.

arisaka
10-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Hypercompetitive anything tends to lose its fun factor.

oranjedrank
10-25-2011, 09:58 PM
well, i was a professional game in cod4 and i can tell you it isnt as fun as you think it is, it is alot of work to become good.... and i mean i had to dedicate alot of my time to playing cod4 practicing every little thing to give me and advantage... everything. such as the sounds of different types of ground in the game...and reloading and such... alot of time went into my ears... but it is not really fun as it is frustrating :L