PDA

View Full Version : Manually select input mode

pTheReaper
10-26-2011, 01:01 PM
First off: Great game, really enjoying it so far.

Unfortunately, there is a small annoyance I have not been able to circumvent: As long as my Xbox360 controller is connected to the PC, the game will only display the "Control"-screen for the pad.
Since I prefer playing with one finger per button on a keyboard, I have to unplug my controller in order to get to the keyboard customization screen.
Could you possibly implement an option that would allow the user to select their prefered input device manually?

Additionally (since I don't want to start two threads at the same time), how do you guys feel about disassemblers being used on your game?
I'm a professional .Net developer myself and enjoy looking at .Net/XNA games in Reflector, though I prefer to make sure the original developers are okay with it.
I would obviously do this for entertainment purposes only, neither altering nor making public any of your code.

IridiumStudios
10-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah, we're looking at smarter input recognition in the future.

And I'll be real, you're more than welcome to take a look with Reflector, but you may not like what you see. I am an awful coder. AWFUL. It was never my field at all, plus I was the only programmer, so...yeah.

Don't judge me :(

pTheReaper
10-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the fast response, its not really a big problem, since I think very few people will have xbox controllers hooked up to their PC without actually wanting to use them.

Thank you also for giving me permission to look at the code, though I don't understand why you are so negative about it.
You released a game that brought joy to many people, thats alot more than most developers can claim, its certainly more than I can.
The game has been running smoothly so far, the UI is well designed, the rythm mechanic seems solid and, most importantly, you and your team really seem to have a feeling for what makes a great game, that's a rare talent, don't tear yourself down.
Timeconstraints and a limited budget make for messy code, there's really no avoiding that.
The software I design at my dayjob is used to plan and maintain large industrial facilities (including nuclear power plants) and even in such a serious field I have had to maintain code that would make your hair stand on end, so, no worries ;)

Aki Tensai
10-26-2011, 04:35 PM
And I'll be real, you're more than welcome to take a look with Reflector, but you may not like what you see. [...]

Don't judge me :(
If a theoretical person was to use Reflector, implement either a bug fix or feature and send it to the commonly provided email address without judging the original coder, would they perhaps enjoy the benefits of not being judged as well? ;)

IridiumStudios
10-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Hmmm. I dunno. :)

pTheReaper
10-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Just in case someone else encounters a similar problem, I have found a small workaround that might help you:
Unplug your controller, start the game, configure the keyboard to your liking, quit the game, plug your controller back in.
The game will show controlls for the pad everywhere, but keyboard input is still recognized and stays mapped the way you configured it.