PDA

View Full Version : WIndows 7?

daellis94
10-26-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm looking to get the Theatre of War collection at some point, and I have decided that the game features etc. are what I want and so forth... I do have one thing on my mind though: Will the games (ToW 1 and any of the ToW 2 games) run properly on Windows 7? It has been said to me that ToW 1 does not work, but that Steam might have patches to fix such issues. Now, I would like to hear some information confirming or disproving this statement, because obviously I don't want to waste 50 bucks on a set of games that won't really work well.

Thanks, guys.

Sneaksie
10-27-2011, 12:05 AM
The games need to be run with administrator privileges since they need to access their own folder. No other OS-specific problems involving Win7 are known. ToW1 is not guaranteed to run if you have an AMD videocard because it requires full OpenGL support which is not always offered by AMD drivers, so it would work on some drivers and won't work on others. Later games use Direct3D API and don't have this problem.

gooana
10-27-2011, 04:22 AM
I play all ToW1-ToW3 games on Win7x64. Used various AMD multi-core CPUs & nvidia cards - (9800->460 versions).
Never had any insoluble problems until recently when the ToW2 editor can be sometimes be a bit temperamental on W7. No probs with the ToW2 game itself tho.
There were a couple of workarounds which fixed the editor launch for me, but no-one has addressed the launch of the ToW2 editor completely AFAIK. (Posts by Derfel (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2066760) show he had the editor issue & possibly couldn't resolve it).
Certainly not a deal-breaker for me tho, I've had 00's of hours of fun with the series.

If you do get the series, be sure to grab the balance mods I have linked to in my posts. They improve the games dramatically.