PDA

View Full Version : System Requirement: Current version of Windows Media Player

quodlibet79
10-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi.

I was about to purchase the Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII Double Pack when thankfully, I looked at the system requirements section. There, it states, "Current version of Windows Media Player". :mad: I do not currently have Windows Media Player installed, and I will not install Windows Media Player on my current system for any reason whatever.

What does this mean for a potential buyer of these games? I've read through the forums and it seems that at the very least, music will not be played through the entire game. If that is true, I will never be purchasing them. Has this purchase breaking problem been corrected?

Thank you.

SSoundscape
10-28-2011, 11:57 AM
It's only a few megabytes, crybaby.

quodlibet79
10-28-2011, 12:03 PM
It's only a few megabytes, crybaby.

A few megabytes or several thousand gigabytes, it still does not excuse the serious developmental shortcoming. Has the problem been corrected or not?

RainbowDespair
10-28-2011, 12:22 PM
If you don't have Windows Media Player, the game won't play at all (it'll crash soon after starting). This is because it was created using Microsoft's XNA tools and they use Windows Media Player to handle the audio.

If you don't want to re-install Windows Media Player, you can't play the game. Sorry. There won't be a patch to change this (since it would require changing game engines and rewriting the entire thing) so your only options if you want to play the game are to install Windows Media Player or play the XBox 360 version.

quodlibet79
10-28-2011, 03:28 PM
If you don't have Windows Media Player, the game won't play at all (it'll crash soon after starting). This is because it was created using Microsoft's XNA tools and they use Windows Media Player to handle the audio.

If you don't want to re-install Windows Media Player, you can't play the game. Sorry. There won't be a patch to change this (since it would require changing game engines and rewriting the entire thing) so your only options if you want to play the game are to install Windows Media Player or play the XBox 360 version.

Thank you for responding. I recommend that for future games, you steer clear from such extremely crippling and debilitating software tools (Microsoft XNA). While I had developed a sincere interest in the double pack prior to discovering this developmental blunder, currently, I have lost complete interest in both Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII. Any software that is disabled by the absolute necessity of Windows Media Player, or any other third party anvil should not be supported. :( It is sad that the development of these two games (and any other out there) has been hindered by such a serious fault.

Ikomasoji
10-30-2011, 06:05 PM
They were originally designed for Xbox 360. Now I may be wrong, as I haven't fully researched it, but I believe that Microsoft XNA is pretty much the only way they could have developed for that platform.

With this in mind, maybe you should understand where the developers are coming from instead of throwing a fit because you won't install a simple thing like Windows Media Player in order to play the games. Think about it, all it would require is installing, playing the games, then uninstalling. Where's the harm here? You have gone through more effort to complain about it. I mean the games are only a couple bucks for Pete's sake. What kind of hoops do you expect an indie developer who is selling their products (very fine products thus far if I do say so myself) to get one random guy to pay a few bucks for there games to jump through?

NReale3370
10-30-2011, 06:10 PM
I'll admit this gave me pause too for the same reason. When it comes down to it though I can install it easily enough without digging up the windows disk, and I can disable the 3-4 services it tries to have running all the time. I can also easily remove it again once I've finished with the game so I'm still going to go ahead and grab this sale. That being said I've played other XNA games lately that haven't had this requirement, so that might be worth looking into for future titls.

Ikomasoji
10-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Hmm, interesting. Any specifics on which titles those happen to be Nreale? I'm curious if some research could uncover whether or not the developer is mistaken in thinking that WMP is required for XNA audio.

NReale3370
10-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Bastion I believe, and the demo for Magicka. I feel like there's another game demo I tried that used it but I can't remember what it was. I've had xna installed since late august (which was the first time I needed it for a game) so its been a bit. Most likely the developers aren't wrong, they just chose a different method for sound and changing it isn't worth the effort at this point.

Futaleufu
10-30-2011, 11:39 PM
LOL, it's not like the game is asking you to install Quicktime. Anyway, the games are so good I would gladly install Real Player to play them.

NReale3370
10-31-2011, 12:36 AM
I was shocked the other day to hear quicktime had a new version out...I didn't think it still existed...

in.meinem.turm.
10-31-2011, 12:58 AM
I was shocked the other day to hear quicktime had a new version out...I didn't think it still existed...

It is required for iTunes and that program still exists sadly.

guy121
10-31-2011, 10:08 AM
I actually just tried to play my version of Cthulhu (had it for a while) and it crashed. So here I come to the forums and it requires WMP. Every game I've played has had its own files to get everything to work (obviously I need drivers n such). I use another media player to play all my music and video files and have uninstalled WMP. I spent quite sometime setting everything up to how I want it for playing media files and I guess I'll reinstall WMP, but really don't want it to mess up any of my settings (network, shares, icons, default media players, and codecs). Anyone know if WMP will do any of that on reinstall?

Oh and btw Magicka doesn't require WMP. If it is programmed with XNA, well maybe the developers for Cthulhu should ask them how they got it to work without WMP.

DuckieMcduck
10-31-2011, 10:44 AM
.....What's the problem with Windows Media Player, again?

NReale3370
10-31-2011, 11:01 AM
I will say this when I reinstalled it WMP did hijack all the custom file assocations I had made for my media. There's really nothing terribly WRONG with WMP, at least the version that comes with windows 7 is fairly nice. My personal gripe with it is just that it attempts to run a lot of processes in the background all the time. The "issue" at hand is that just some people just prefer something different and the requirement to have it installed for something is very uncommon. I'm anti-apple so i didn't know that about itunes. Figures though for all the crap that comes with an itunes install.

quodlibet79
11-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Like several other persons wrote after my last post, there are many games out there that use .NET and XNA, and they DO NOT require Windows Media Player to work or play music and sounds. Capsized is another ridiculous title that necessitates Windows Media Player to be installed in order to play its music and its end credits. It is clear that .NET and XNA are NOT the source of the problem. The actual source of the problem comes from the developer in choosing Windows Media Player to be a system requirement. Which is completely unacceptable.

SSoundscape
11-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Oh ♥♥♥♥ guys, more whining over a few megabytes.

guy121
11-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Oh ♥♥♥♥ guys, more whining over a few megabytes.

I guess reading comprehension isn't a requirement in schools these days.

SSoundscape
11-01-2011, 09:24 AM
I guess reading comprehension isn't a requirement in schools these days.

Oh no, it is. What you kids are doing is whining.

quodlibet79
11-01-2011, 03:22 PM
All I'm saying is: Please, PRETTY PLEASE, do not develop games with a dependency on Windows Media Player.

CtrlAltDestroy
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Am I missing something? Is there a reason I shouldn't have Windows Media Player installed on my Windows machine right now?

I agree that there are other ways to do music, but this complaint is silly. It's like demanding Minecraft not to rely on Java. Or like asking YouTube not to rely on Flash. Or like demanding Brawl not to be Wii-exclusive. Why? Just because "everyone knows" all those things are bad, and smart developers should steer clear from them.

I mean, if it were some obscure third-party video codec or platform, I'd balk. But Windows Media Player is, most of the time, an integrated component of the operating system -- if you don't have it, it probably means you forcefully uninstalled it in the first place. I'm honestly surprised you aren't a Mac user!

NReale3370
11-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I won't buy/use things that require java :-P. WMP is a nuisance for someone who doesn't use it to install it, mainly because it hijacks file associations. I bought and am loving these games anyway, but its a nuisance. I was just throwing in my two cents in for the developers future consideration. There's really little point in arguing the validity of the requirement or complaints. People can vote with their wallets on the matter and the developers can decide for themselves whether or not this subset of the customer base is worth heeding on a future product.

guy121
11-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Oh no, it is. What you kids are doing is whining.

Well then you must have failed that portion of english. If you would like to prove that you have the capability to understand basic english, please explain how this is whining?

I actually just tried to play my version of Cthulhu (had it for a while) and it crashed. So here I come to the forums and it requires WMP. Every game I've played has had its own files to get everything to work (obviously I need drivers n such). I use another media player to play all my music and video files and have uninstalled WMP. I spent quite sometime setting everything up to how I want it for playing media files and I guess I'll reinstall WMP, but really don't want it to mess up any of my settings (network, shares, icons, default media players, and codecs). Anyone know if WMP will do any of that on reinstall?

Oh and btw Magicka doesn't require WMP. If it is programmed with XNA, well maybe the developers for Cthulhu should ask them how they got it to work without WMP.

GamingAwesome1
11-26-2011, 07:42 AM
I don't get it, what is your major malfunction with Windows Media Player in the first place?

It's not the best thing in the world, far from it but is it really so big a deal to just have it occupy a few megabytes of space so you can play some indie games that require it?

And frankly, as has already been stated, doing it so that it wouldn't require WMP would require an entire engine rewrite and no matter how much you whine it is not going to happen.

And yes, it hijacks file associations, but it's not amazingly difficult to just set them back to what they once were as you go.