PDA

View Full Version : Life Sucks!

Nacio
10-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Early this evening I decided to take a chance on TOH without official reviews, and make the purchase. To my suprise it turns out to be one of the most enjoyable, satisfying games I have played in a long time.

I recently picked up BF3 last Tuesday; logged less than 20 minutes, and have not returned back; in saying this you can never judge a game by how much hype it gets. My only regret is that I wish I picked up this gem Friday evening, and have the whole weekend ahead of me to do some cloud busting; now I have to hang up my pilot's jacket to get some sleep for work in the morning.

Life Sucks!:mad:

sanjsanj
10-30-2011, 11:10 PM
I'd have to agree. I first heard about it only when it appeared on Steam, after a quick search on youtube and the game's official site I bought it immediately and it's my best purchase so far this year.

CobraVE
10-31-2011, 01:14 AM
Didn't you know, all BIS games are great :D

Cobra 6

DeLuged
10-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Its not THAT great. I know you all are supporting the little-guy company, and that's admirable. But Take On is far from a great sim. Good, yeah ok...

It lacks polish and some tweaking in a few areas to be a great sim. Hopefully they'll keep working on it and who knows, maybe in a year or so it will be great.

usi DirTyDeeDs
10-31-2011, 06:12 PM
considering the modding capability and sandbox nature of the game, it's hardly comparable to any other game. If you don't like it, then you are wrong. :p

Cpt.Henry
10-31-2011, 09:56 PM
Only thing that bummed me out with TKOH, was all the talk about our ♥♥♥♥ economy (usa) lol..

starcop
11-01-2011, 07:40 AM
I completely agree with the post's author.

I've bought BF3 too, I played about 2 hours. I flew an helicopter and it was fun.

Then I saw TOH on Steam. I immediately bought it and I don't regret. It's a very great game with a lot of potential.

JOINTS
11-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Its not THAT great. I know you all are supporting the little-guy company, and that's admirable. But Take On is far from a great sim. Good, yeah ok...

It lacks polish and some tweaking in a few areas to be a great sim. Hopefully they'll keep working on it and who knows, maybe in a year or so it will be great.

What does the polish guys have to do with this? :o)

Seriously though, what part of it needs to be polished?

Derbysieger
11-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Mainly the flight model I think. According to RL pilots there are some rather annoying faults. And there are also users who experience a weird bug in one of the missions in the career (which I can not reproduce).

It's a really great game though. It runs very stable (for me) and I will spend a lot of time in the editor to make my own missions or simply fly around. I wish there was something like the armory in Arma 2 which is great if you just want to have a quick blast in a simple mission.

I enjoyed the campaign very much. The only thing that bugged me is that the career was a bit short. I really like it and the length is ok for a singleplayer campaign if you play all the side-missions (and more than you get in some AAA titles) but what annoys me is that you don't play long enough to really start buying and selling helicopters. I had to repeat some sidemissions over and over again to buy the SAR Heli so I could fly all the gov. contracts.

I can already say it is the most enjoyable game I bought this year (I also bought RO:HoS wich is great but more for a quick blast in the multiplayer) and it will only be topped by Arma 3 next year.

Dwarden
11-01-2011, 10:46 AM
flight-model will be improved, bugs fixed ... as usually with our games :)

fenk
11-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Great game. I'll need to upgrade my computer though.

anelaidlives
11-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Early this evening I decided to take a chance on TOH without official reviews, and make the purchase. To my suprise it turns out to be one of the most enjoyable, satisfying games I have played in a long time.

I recently picked up BF3 last Tuesday; logged less than 20 minutes, and have not returned back; in saying this you can never judge a game by how much hype it gets. My only regret is that I wish I picked up this gem Friday evening, and have the whole weekend ahead of me to do some cloud busting; now I have to hang up my pilot's jacket to get some sleep for work in the morning.

Life Sucks!:mad:

BF3 is a great game, don't be hating to appear cool to the indie lovers.

cotabucky
11-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I find it funny when someone is so passionate about a game like BF3 that they want to go in the steam/Take on Helicopters section and express those strong feelings :) .Thats very sweet lol.Now I think i'll go over to the BF3 section and tell them there all a bunch of haters if there not into TOH :cool:

Nacio
11-03-2011, 03:14 AM
BF3 is a great game, don't be hating to appear cool to the indie lovers.

Did not want to offend anybody, just want to express how much fun I am having with TOH, nothing more...

JOINTS
11-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Mainly the flight model I think. According to RL pilots there are some rather annoying faults. And there are also users who experience a weird bug in one of the missions in the career (which I can not reproduce).

It's a really great game though. It runs very stable (for me) and I will spend a lot of time in the editor to make my own missions or simply fly around. I wish there was something like the armory in Arma 2 which is great if you just want to have a quick blast in a simple mission.

I enjoyed the campaign very much. The only thing that bugged me is that the career was a bit short. I really like it and the length is ok for a singleplayer campaign if you play all the side-missions (and more than you get in some AAA titles) but what annoys me is that you don't play long enough to really start buying and selling helicopters. I had to repeat some sidemissions over and over again to buy the SAR Heli so I could fly all the gov. contracts.

I can already say it is the most enjoyable game I bought this year (I also bought RO:HoS wich is great but more for a quick blast in the multiplayer) and it will only be topped by Arma 3 next year.

Oh I see, I dont know anything about flying any machines in real life, maybe thats why I didnt notice any flaws haha. :)

Herbaceous
11-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I agree, this is a real gem of a game in a very stagnant flight simulator market. I totally didn't see it coming, but have always wanted some kind of replacement for the old SimCopter type of entertainment. This has hit the nail right on the head.

Well done Bohemia and team!

beugnen
11-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Didn't you know, all BIS games are great :D

Cobra 6

except for ARMA 2 of course

beugnen
11-05-2011, 07:50 AM
considering the modding capability and sandbox nature of the game, it's hardly comparable to any other game. If you don't like it, then you are wrong. :p

perhaps.

but how does it compare i wonder to the juggernaut of modding, expansions, addons and simming that is FSX? or for helicopter realism this is a toy compared to DCS BLACKSHARK

beugnen
11-05-2011, 07:52 AM
I recently picked up BF3 last Tuesday; logged less than 20 minutes, and have not returned back;

comparing an action game to a sim is rather silly

Herbaceous
11-05-2011, 10:36 AM
except for ARMA 2 of course

perhaps.

but how does it compare i wonder to the juggernaut of modding, expansions, addons and simming that is FSX? or for helicopter realism this is a toy compared to DCS BLACKSHARK

Wow, you're a real bundle of positive energy :P Bored, much!

Nacio
11-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Regardless the genre of the game, the degree of entertainment or level of fun factor is higher playing TOH then BF3. In other words I am more entertained in playing TOH; Get it! Just my opinion.

beugnen
11-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Wow, you're a real bundle of positive energy :P Bored, much!

not only must one be objective when evaluating a software title but also ideally be an informed and experienced participant with the subject matter that constitutes the title. the complexities of flight simulation are such that those who frequent contemporary prime viewpoint warfare simulacrum are perhaps sans-experience to fully appreciate what it is to participate in an informed evaluation of said software.

it saddens me when those who attempt to downplay progressive critique only to follow through with obvious personal counter remarks.

as a final note i humbly offer a proven list of simulacra from the omnibus of flight soft that would give one an insight into various flight dynamics, realism and complexities.

X-PLANE
DCS BLACKSHARK
LOMAC
FSX
PMDG MD-11X
PMDG 747X

this will surely help to quell any premature remarks to the extent of realism

beugnen
11-05-2011, 06:01 PM
:DRegardless the genre of the game, the degree of entertainment or level of fun factor is higher playing TOH then BF3. In other words I am more entertained in playing TOH; Get it! Just my opinion.

perhaps.

i quite enjoy playing the game SILENT HUNTER 5 but i usually restrain myself from saying that i think SOLITAIRE is inferior

QED i think

Nacio
11-05-2011, 07:19 PM
:D

perhaps.

i quite enjoy playing the game SILENT HUNTER 5 but i usually restrain myself from saying that i think SOLITAIRE is inferior

QED i think

Great discussions.. ;)

Jedra
11-05-2011, 08:15 PM
If you like ToH that's great, if you don't then that's fine too.

For the record, I don't think the OP was trying to compare ToH to BF3, he was merely pointing out that he has spent more time with ToH, a fact which he would not have expected. Also for the record, so have I!

Mr Buegnen - have you got ToH or are you here just to cause a bit of mischief? You scamp you.

beugnen
11-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Mr Buegnen - have you got ToH or are you here just to cause a bit of mischief? You scamp you.

before buying any game, particularly from BIS, i like to see if there any potential performance issues. i am also interested in what people think of the game. some of the pro-game remarks (not you of course and not particularly this thread) read to me as comments made by those not familiar with other AAA flight sim titles. making a comment to this effect usually just ends up in the other party coming off as Hammer Legion.

as i read these forums i can see my fears are justified by many reports of disappointing performance. when i further read that ToH is powered by the ARMA 2 engine it explains a great deal. i can see support is dishing out the same questionable suggestions too such as "defrag your hard drive" as was suggested during ARMA 2. the fact that many of us ran CRYSIS, FSX or PMDG without incident was rather interesting.

so with numberous negative aspects, questionable positive attributes and mysterious support suggestions i will have to give this game a miss until a demo is generally available and not to just those who purchased an add-on to some other BIS title.

i shall scamper off now :D

usi DirTyDeeDs
11-05-2011, 10:27 PM
CRYSIS, FSX or PMDG

I swear, anyone who claims great performance when playing Crysis while at the same time complaining that to Arma2 doesn't meet those standards, are not capable of understanding the differences of the two games, and therefore isn't worth an argument.

You appear confused at what this GAME is about.

Take On Helicopters offers:

High fidelity flight dynamics modelling
Richly modelled helicopters & cockpits
Expansive & detailed environments
Powerful & intuitive mission editor
Multiplayer – co-op & competitive scenarios

I dare say it fills my REALISTIC expectations perfectly.

If you think you are going to pay $50 and plug your joystick into your computer to have a real to life helicopter simulation, you are seriously overestimating what they are offering here.

beugnen
11-05-2011, 10:48 PM
I swear, anyone who claims great performance when playing Crysis while at the same time complaining that to Arma2 doesn't meet those standards, are not capable of understanding the differences of the two games, and therefore isn't worth an argument.

You appear confused at what this GAME is about.

my point there was to do with performance issues. i guess you're not a programmer. i refuse to go out and buy an i7 2600k; AMD RADEON 69xx CROSSFIRE system just to play a "sim" that does not attempt to fix its visual latency. ill stick with DCS thanks until it is fixed.

as for your last point on realism it demonstrates exactly what i said before concerning premature praises over so-called realism if this is the ONLY sim they have played. case in point is the repetitive bashing of BF3 because of so called lack of realism when some have not played BLACKSHARK. it just demonstrates a certain unfortunate level of ignorance and diminishes their argument.

i encourage my fellow readers to explore the AVSIM, DCS or PMDG forums to discover what other marvels await in the exciting subject of flight sims. you'll find many avid hardcore sim fans like me there with a common interest who would be ever so happy to welcome you all.

:)

usi DirTyDeeDs
11-05-2011, 11:21 PM
You are misinformed.
It doesn't claim to be a helicopter simulator. It does claim a high fidelity flight model. Can you not understand the difference?

I have an i7 930 and SLI gtx 275 on Win7 64 bit.
It runs Arma2 and Take on Helicopters very well.
I am able to play these games at high settings AND record with Fraps.
How is that possible?

beugnen
11-06-2011, 02:28 AM
You are misinformed.
It doesn't claim to be a helicopter simulator. It does claim a high fidelity flight model.

thanks dirtydeeds. i saw that, but then again the product page clearly states:

authentic flight model

Genre: Simulation

one would only deduce helicopter simulator not helicopter game. but i think we could agree that their marketing department needs some work? :D

ive already gathered from the posts that this game is something between a game and a sim but statements above make it quite confusing.

thanks for your insights guys, i shall purchase this title

Jedra
11-06-2011, 03:57 AM

There is a big discussion regarding 'This is a sim' / 'This is not a sim' but at the end of the day, the game is a lot of fun regardless and it certainly is a challenge.

The Arma engine has always been one to sort out the men from the boys when it comes to running it at anything like 100% quality. It is one of the reasons that it is used as a benchmark for testing new system components (Custom PC use it for example). You are correct that a game that runs Crysis may not run Arma 2 quite as well - but this is mainly due to the differences in which the two engines work. Arma 2 tends to bottleneck more at the CPU and Memory side rather than the Graphics side so normally you need to tweak the CPU intensive stuff. Defragging the hard drive is also important as the engine is dragging a lot of textures off the disk not to mention the huge maps.

Take On Helicopters uses a modified version of the engine, so yes will be affected the same way. So, if you had trouble running Arma 2 OA on your rig, you may well encounter similar issues with ToH.

Nacio
11-06-2011, 06:14 AM
If I only knew my single expression, and my lonely opinion would stir up this much discussion, I would have posted more often in the past.

Big Picture "I love the PC community"

usi DirTyDeeDs
11-06-2011, 10:02 AM
clearly, Jedra is more articulate than I ;). well said, +rep

RiskyFrisky
11-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Last I checked, Bohemia always produces top quality sims.

Bothersome
11-17-2011, 12:42 PM
I think we are really just seeing the tip of the iceburg of what is possible with a game like ToH. Its a sim, it's a game. I think it is both. Sure it currently has a few flight model problems. Nothing that can't be patched out.

But the potential of the game part of this program is tremendous. In BCS Blackshark, can you get out of the helicopter and go inside a building and converse with a NPC or even a character played by a real person in multi-player? Well, guess what, you can in ToH. Can you get out of your helicopter and climb into an SUV and drive somewhere else and climb into another helicopter or aircraft and fly away? You can in ToH.

So you see it's not all sim. And it's not all game. The flight model will be fixed according to BIS. They are working on it now. And when that's fixed, it may be as accurate as a sim should be for $50. But then you'll have some game to go with that sim.

It's really the best of both worlds. And even better... You don't have to follow a set script. You can fly around for pleasure if you like or take a mission and go kill stuff. And it's only going to get expanded upon by BIS and modders and fans of ToH. The future is bright here.

taz rose
12-14-2011, 09:20 PM
thanks dirtydeeds. i saw that, but then again the product page clearly states:

authentic flight model

Genre: Simulation

one would only deduce helicopter simulator not helicopter game. but i think we could agree that their marketing department needs some work? :D

ive already gathered from the posts that this game is something between a game and a sim but statements above make it quite confusing.

I see where your coming from. Like you my interest in aviation encompasses most of those products you mentioned in earlier post. Flight model in take on is good, its not a bad title, but nowhere near the complexities and dynamics of FSX, DCS series, LOMAC, RoF.
I just picked up the ATR72 500 from Flight1 and would highly recommend it if you have FSX. Also, pro flight emulator is a must if you like authentic ATC in your flights. Sorry to go off subject. I highly recommend TOH to anyone with an interest in flight or helicopters. If people want to get more serious, there are other titles out there but not everyone wants their flights modelled down to the last detail.

Lastly, as a long time supporter of Bohemia Interactive and a lover of aviation, this one was just waiting to be had.