PDA

View Full Version : Jack the Ripper - Encoded message

El Zoido
11-01-2011, 02:32 PM
When investigating the body trafficking, you have to decode this message.
Did anyone ever understand the Encyclopedia Spartaca reference?

Solving the message is in no way whatsoever related to the two pages you have from the encyclopedia as far as I can tell...
(At least I didn't need it to solve it)

Another red herring?

skverl
11-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Actually yeah, same here. I can't see any link between the two... I ended up guessing at it for a while, finally got past on a fluke. Anyone got an answer for this?

xizar
11-21-2011, 08:44 AM
*STUPIDEST* "code" ever. The encyclopaedia had nothing to do with it.

Lamest substitution cipher I've had the displeasure to be exposed to.

Worse than "axydlbaaxr is longfellow".

(note, for those whose primary language is not based on the roman alphabet, I can see how this would be non-intuitive.)

HitDeity
12-03-2011, 04:25 AM
I don't know...I almost had that one figured out. The 'half-letter thing' did have me stumped though. I didn't think that one was too bad, not nearly as bad as the one with the combination locks based on Civil War battle dates and flags and uniforms. Now, where did that come from?!?! Was it ever stated what order to put them in? and how are you supposed to know what flags to use, or which hats go with them? I mean, I remember a little bit about American Civil War history...but not nearly enough to figure that puzzle out.

Did I miss where any clues were given how to solve it? For that matter have I missed other clues on how to solve most of the puzzles in this game? I think 98% of them have had me bumfuzzled, and I've never had to result to so much "walkthrough consultin'"! So far, I love the game, hate the puzzles. Ok, I don't really hate the puzzles...I just can't solve the vast majority of them. And I'm usually pretty good at this stuff. :(

Oh, and in response to the original statement: the connection I got was that "behind the scenes" you surmised that the book's index gave the clue that each number represented a letter of the alphabet, but you didn't have to actually "solve" that part of the puzzle; the game just leapt forward to the point where you, as Sherlock Holmes, had to just put the letters into the right spots. Maybe the puzzle originally was supposed to be the whole thing, but the designers shortened it some? Not sure....

skverl
01-09-2012, 06:58 AM
I don't know...I almost had that one figured out. The 'half-letter thing' did have me stumped though. I didn't think that one was too bad, not nearly as bad as the one with the combination locks based on Civil War battle dates and flags and uniforms. Now, where did that come from?!?! Was it ever stated what order to put them in? and how are you supposed to know what flags to use, or which hats go with them? I mean, I remember a little bit about American Civil War history...but not nearly enough to figure that puzzle out.

Did I miss where any clues were given how to solve it? For that matter have I missed other clues on how to solve most of the puzzles in this game? I think 98% of them have had me bumfuzzled, and I've never had to result to so much "walkthrough consultin'"! So far, I love the game, hate the puzzles. Ok, I don't really hate the puzzles...I just can't solve the vast majority of them. And I'm usually pretty good at this stuff. :(

Oh, and in response to the original statement: the connection I got was that "behind the scenes" you surmised that the book's index gave the clue that each number represented a letter of the alphabet, but you didn't have to actually "solve" that part of the puzzle; the game just leapt forward to the point where you, as Sherlock Holmes, had to just put the letters into the right spots. Maybe the puzzle originally was supposed to be the whole thing, but the designers shortened it some? Not sure....

Sorry to reheat a dead subject, but I was just idling through comments and yeah, completely agree with you.

I love puzzle games, I'm quite good at them and usually youtube doesn't come into it. But my God, some of these puzzles are so... I don't know, puzzling. Really, without someone telling you what exactly you're supposed to be checking, you'd never know.

I think the books index has absolutely no reflection on the code, I looked at that thing for hours (after watching a youtuber solve it, usually the answer makes itself known but I couldn't see how he'd done it still) and there's no mention of anything related to your current task.

Silly, otherwise, cracking game.