PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade some hardware...

MegaManZer0
11-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Ok, so first off, specs.

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 645 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 4250
Not really looking to change my monitor or anything. If you need to know any other specs, please let me know.

So, my first topic of interest is a 64-bit OS (still Windows 7). Can anyone enlighten me more on the benefits of this, how cumbersome it will be to update programs/drivers, or if I'll need any different pieces of hardware to run it?

Second, despite having what I thought was a pretty good video card, I'm still running some games pretty slowly (usually FPS games like Duke Nukem Forever, F.E.A.R., etc). I usually have to put them in windowed mode and take the settings down to low or medium to run them okay. Is there another piece of hardware besides the video card that could be causing slow gameplay?

Any help would be appreciated. I mostly use my computer for gaming, I multi-task often, and I sometimes work with videos.

borg_7_of_9
11-04-2011, 09:43 PM
No the video card is a joke for gaming FWIW F.E.A.R on my HD4890's is quite good so a HD5770/6770(Same spec's iirc) would do the trick if ya on a low budget

The 64Bit install of 7 is fairly simple but you will need all the 64Bit drivers for your hardware Win7 should have most by default but video and sound are better from the OEM

The 64Bit Advantage is mostly support for more ram...

MegaManZer0
11-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Ugh, seriously? I've changed it like twice in the past year, being told that it was pretty current.

Yeah, trying not to spend too much, I'll look in to what you suggested...anyone else have any knowledge they'd care to impart?

borg_7_of_9
11-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Ugh, seriously? I've changed it like twice in the past year, being told that it was pretty current.

Yeah, trying not to spend too much, I'll look in to what you suggested...anyone else have any knowledge they'd care to impart?

current at the time but low end

always look for cards that are current with higher numbers

Doc_Gonzo
11-05-2011, 01:37 AM
I have to agree with Borg, that video card needs replacing as it really is low end. Coupled with a 64 bit version of windows 7, you would then have access to all 4Gb of RAM and the ability to add more if you felt like it :)

Hardwood
11-05-2011, 04:23 AM
A couple things to consider:
1) changing to a 64bit OS will require a wipe of your current OS install. Although a "free" upgrade, if you haven't partitioned your Harddrive you will need to do some serious backing up.
2) you don't mention your PSU so you'll need to be careful on which GPU you upgrade to.