PDA

View Full Version : Recent "update" when I started RTC3.

Darth_Fader
11-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Just had to wonder, recently when I started RTC3 (vanilla from Steam except for the 1920x1080 change to config), I got a message that the software needed to convert files to the "new format".

Since RTC3 has been a dead in the water product for some time, that was a surprise, so does anyone know what that's all about?

I do notice faster load times, and I think I notice better video performance, except at night. Am I just imagining this, or whazzup?

Snorkel
11-16-2011, 01:40 AM
I think it may be to do with this - http://store.steampowered.com/news/5856/

Perhaps storing the files differently on Steam to support their new format or something.

Darth_Fader
11-16-2011, 05:44 AM
I guess I should go look at my old, non-steam RTC3 files and see if they are stored any differently.

Still, if it was a delivery method, why would it have to rewrite all the files?

Dunno, your guess is as good as mine, but if it had to reload RTC3 because of the new Steam engine, why did it not have to reload RailRoad Tycoon 3, or Civ 5, or ...

Dunno. Not enough information.

Snorkel
11-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Changing the format of the .ncf file perhaps. It seems to have been altered on around the right date.

I think they're going through their catalogue and converting them all a few at a time...I _think_ I've had other games doing the same thing.