PDA

View Full Version : Kind of interested in LA Noire now. Is it worth the money?

xboxer
11-13-2011, 11:36 AM
So, how is this game? How long should one take to beat it?

I'm wondering if it's worth getting.

Kind of tempted to get this game now. Seems a refreshing change from those action filled games I frequently play.

$50 for this isn't cheap at all.....

Necksus
11-13-2011, 12:14 PM
As of this very moment, the consensus I'm seeing is "no." The reason being that, on top of shoddy porting from its console edition, design flaws, and locked-up framerates make the game nearly impossible to play.

I've seen a few posts here and there saying "I like it, it's works for me" but the poster also seems to preface that they ran the game with little lag on their super-dope quad core gaming rigs. I'm still running a measly dual core so it was like trying to ride a dead horse over here.

lakesoffire
11-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Necksus is right, but I don't think the problems crippling L.A. Noire are necessarily due to PC conversion - the overwhelming majority of tech support complaints are from Steam users. If you can wait to play this game, do so. Watch the forums for a flood of entries praising the arrival of a patch that makes this game somewhat playable. But if you're desperate to play it now, pick up a hard-copy at your nearest retailer and patch directly from Rockstar.

podman36
11-13-2011, 01:22 PM
So, how is this game? How long should one take to beat it?

I'm wondering if it's worth getting.

Kind of tempted to get this game now. Seems a refreshing change from those action filled games I frequently play.

$50 for this isn't cheap at all.....

Honestly its a great game. But the PC port is shoddy. It is filled with technical issues galore. So for know I would say know. Wait a month or so when Rockstar finally patches it up to be playable. Also if you're patient it might be on sale during the christmas sale, knowing Rockstar it probably will be

KubanitoS
11-13-2011, 01:24 PM
It is 100% playable for me. The porting is also okay, it runs nice.

podman36
11-13-2011, 01:29 PM

You're one of the few. I have a decent dual core gaming rig. I can run this game at low settings with a framerate of 10-15 fps, which is awful.

oktoberklub
11-13-2011, 02:08 PM
I will upgrade my CPU in the next few days from a dual core 1.6 GHz (which is way too low for this game) to a quad core 2.5 GHz, and I'm very curious if this improves the performance of the game. It runs as smooth as a slideshow at the moment, despite the fact that it doesn't look as good as GTA IV on low settings.

As for other issues with this game, see my post here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26351872&postcount=6)

I know I sound horribly negative, but if this weren't a Rockstar game, I wouldn't be nearly as harsh. It's just that Rockstar developed such perfect games over the years that I'm just expecting something better than what Team Bondi and Rockstar Leeds ultimately delivered here.

lakesoffire
11-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Exactly, oktoberklub. If this were an unknown game developer or if we were running off-brand hardware, some of this would be understandable. But I got GTA IV at release and it ran well on an older PC. This is beyond market bugs. They knew it wasn't ready for market release.

flarp
11-13-2011, 03:59 PM
the game is great but it's very buggy. wait till its fixed

gijas04
11-13-2011, 04:42 PM
the game is great but it's very buggy. wait till its fixed

Adding the str -npd to the exe command line doesn't help?

Some with the retail version say it runs great so it may be just the digital version.

XStationCube
11-13-2011, 04:50 PM
The game runs perfectly for me too, but I'm not using the Steam version so that might be it. I'm running a 3.2 Quad core, as well.

Cyzthur
11-13-2011, 05:46 PM
LA Noire is one of the best games Ive played this year and I think its a bit unreasnable to assume a large number of people are having major problems. It certainly has some issues but none of us know how widespread they are and can only comment on our personal experiences with the game.

Installation failed with UAC on for me but turning it off fixed this problem. It crashes when I exit the game but so far this is only a minor annoyance. The only complaint I have is the fps cap as I would prefer to play above 30. With 2XAA and a mix of high and medium settings I get a steady 30 fps that only slows down noticeably during scene transitions/loading such as exiting a house onto the busy city streets.

Other than these issues the game is bug free and very entertaining. The facial animations and voice acting are excellent and the story lines are clever and fun. Comparing screenshots between the pc and console versions shows they made some nice graphics improvements for our platform. All in all I think its a very good game and am looking forward to playing more.

I have a quad core, 4gb of memory and a Radeon 5770.

Ave07
11-13-2011, 06:54 PM
I have it on the PS3 imo its worth going through once not sure if its worth $50 to play it once. Yeah you can replay it but, its going to be boring the second time around since most of the crimes have 1 same ending when a few have two.

flarp
11-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Adding the str -npd to the exe command line doesn't help?

Some with the retail version say it runs great so it may be just the digital version.

it does.

without -str i got 5fps, with it im getting 25-30. however adding -str causes your mouse cursor to showup in game.

the performance isnt as much of an issue as it is with some glitches and bugs. for instance, the missions where you have to tail people on foot, is broken; regardless of how close/far you are, you will fail the mission because you "lost sight of the suspect".

luckily you can skip action sequences, but that means you have skip all the parts you have to tail people on foot.

its a fantastic game though. So long as you know what you're getting into. Its a puzzle game broken up with some action. It is NOT an action game; i feel people were expecting it to be, and hence its mixed reviews

lakesoffire
11-13-2011, 07:15 PM
LA Noire is one of the best games Ive played this year and I think its a bit unreasnable to assume a large number of people are having major problems. It certainly has some issues but none of us know how widespread they are and can only comment on our personal experiences with the game.

Take a look at Rockstar's tech support page for L.A. Noire. The top two topics relate specifically to Steam. It's so disasterous that Gamespot isn't posting user reviews a week after release. But there's a silver lining in all of this: there are three AAA titles coming out next week and another coming out in December and I won't be buying any of them from Steam!

xboxer
11-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys.

I think I will wait for them to iron out the issues first. I'm glad I asked before buying.

AlHudson1
11-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Take a look at Rockstar's tech support page for L.A. Noire. The top two topics relate specifically to Steam. It's so disasterous that Gamespot isn't posting user reviews a week after release. But there's a silver lining in all of this: there are three AAA titles coming out next week and another coming out in December and I won't be buying any of them from Steam!

I'm considering buy it... since retail is not an option for me... does Direct2Drive version the same issues?

BTW I found this in Rockstar tech support
http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20643266-problems-launching-the-steam-version-of-l-a-noire-on-windows-vista-7

Disabling UAC means that developers didn't follow Microsoft Windows Developing Guidelines. That's not a Steam fail.

Altough I love all Rockstar games... all of them for PC are far from optimized... but well at least they made a port. (Thanks R*!)

Specs please. (Just to know)

=BodyBag=
11-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Steam are really being greedy on this,- i bought it retail for 40 euro including shipping. And a DL of 14GB with a slow connection is not funny.

I have a monster PC, but still it's choppy with micro-stutters.

If you are used to the great graphics of Mafia II, you will be disappointed with this one,- but Rockstar has never really made a good looking game.
And the car handling is a joke, but the 1940-atmosphere is great.

Cheers,

TheTurnipKing
11-14-2011, 04:01 AM
Installation failed with UAC on for me but turning it off fixed this problem.
Frankly, I consider this an unreasonable demand to make: If a game demands that I turn UAC off, it's going "back".

Fortunately, LA Noire has not demanded this of me.

I've had some of the other issues you describe though, and I also have a 5770.

vaard
11-14-2011, 10:28 AM
once I turned off UAS, I had no problem playing the game.

I am still on homocide cases, so no idea yet if the tailing part is broken for me.....

I have no lag or gameplay issues. the game crashes whenever i quit the game for the night......

i run a 2 gig dual core with 4gig ram and a 9800 gtx card......