PDA

View Full Version : Using Xbox 360 Controller

Jancarius
11-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi. I have 4 Xbox 360 wireless controllers and I want to connect them to my computer via the USB plug n'play charger packs. How can this be accomplished? I don't want to spend $20 on a wireless receiver which I will use, at most, for 2 or 3 games.

Edit: Alternatively, a PS3 solution would be acceptable.

Sinsarmor
11-14-2011, 05:51 PM
you need a wireless receiver for wireless xbox controllers no other way around it

Wardiaper
11-14-2011, 05:51 PM
The way I understand it you cannot use the wireless controller with the plug n play pack. You have to either use a hard wired controller (the one with no batteries) or the wireless receiver.

bb10
11-14-2011, 05:53 PM
... you cannot use the wireless controller with the plug n play pack. You have to either use a hard wired controller (the one with no batteries) or the wireless receiver.

^ this.

Jancarius
11-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Well... Damn it. I guess I'll borrow my roommates PS3 controller and start figuring out how to configure MotionJoy.

Sinistar
11-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Well... Damn it. I guess I'll borrow my roommates PS3 controller and start figuring out how to configure MotionJoy.

If you figure out how it works with PS3 controller and MotionJoy please post your findings on the forum. :)

Jancarius
11-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Well, I seem to have succesfully configured MotionJoy in that my Windows 7 now recognize the PS3 controller as a valid game controller device. I haven't tested it on SR3 yet, because I'm waiting to actually purchase SR3 on the PC versus on my Xbox till I confirm I can play with the controller (A previous attempt to play Dead Rising with mouse and keyboard, and the fairly clunky feeling Dead Space controls on PC soured me on playing console games on PC).

Wardiaper
11-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Well, I seem to have succesfully configured MotionJoy in that my Windows 7 now recognize the PS3 controller as a valid game controller device. I haven't tested it on SR3 yet, because I'm waiting to actually purchase SR3 on the PC versus on my Xbox till I confirm I can play with the controller (A previous attempt to play Dead Rising with mouse and keyboard, and the fairly clunky feeling Dead Space controls on PC soured me on playing console games on PC).

Xbox 360 controller is the way to go. These other programs that try to emulate have always failed me. I have both a hard wired controller and wireless receiver and they perform just as well as on the 360 itself.

zherok
11-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Don't recall it working too well on my laptop, but my desktop works fine with a USB charger wired PS3 controller (no bluetooth) through Motioninjoy. Windows 7. I've been playing Skyrim with it emulated as a 360 controller fine.

Holton0289
11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
get the controller that hard wired its the best way. The only thing the charge and play is good for is charging.

Mikey-
11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi. I have 4 Xbox 360 wireless controllers and I want to connect them to my computer via the USB plug n'play charger packs. How can this be accomplished? I don't want to spend $20 on a wireless receiver which I will use, at most, for 2 or 3 games.

Edit: Alternatively, a PS3 solution would be acceptable.

What?

I use my charger all the time when using my 360 controller on the PC. When the battery is drained I click in the recharger, and then connect the USB end into my monitor - voila, instant wired controller. When the battery is charged I just unclip the whole thing.

Works perfectly.

NightDrifter05
11-14-2011, 07:25 PM
What?

I use my charger all the time when using my 360 controller on the PC. When the battery is drained I click in the recharger, and then connect the USB end into my monitor - voila, instant wired controller. When the battery is charged I just unclip the whole thing.

Works perfectly.

You aren't using it to play game's which is what he wants to do. The way it sounds you're just charging it while playing on 360 still. You can plug the Play N Charge into any USB device and it will charge but you CANNOT plug the Play N Charge into the PC and play a PC game with it.

Hippy Druid
11-14-2011, 08:02 PM
If your OS recognises the controller, but the game doesn't, try using Xpadder to assign keys and the mouse axis to the controller. This is a very nifty program for controllers that are not recognised in games or other software packages.

Xpadder is well worth the $9.99 charged for it nowdays.
You can find it here (http://www.xpadder.com/)

There is a legitimate free version available here (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Xpadder.shtml), this is old and doesn't have all the features of the paid version. So I guess no guarantees!!

This will allow any controller to work for any software you like. For example: If assigning cut and paste options to your analogue stick is your desire, this is the software for you!!

Jancarius
11-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Was able to get it working on Dead Rising2 as a Xbox emulated controller. I guess what I'll do here is wait to see if you can do the same on the steam version, and then get it on Steam if so, and keep my Xbox copy if not.

supermanme
11-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Speaking of using a 360 controller, I can't seem to get Saints Row 3 to function with my wired controller. It has gamepad options and they seem to check out... but I've got no response when i use the controller. Thoughts?

Phazon
11-14-2011, 09:43 PM
I have found that the game likes to pick any old controller connected to your PC, it does not give preference to the Xbox 360 controller. I have several flight sim joysticks and controllers hooked up which get used by the game and override the Xbox 360 controller entirely.

This is further compounded by the fact there is no way in game to nominate which controllers you want to use, so you are stuck with whatever controller the game has decided to pick.

The current workaround I have is to unplug every controller except the Xbox 360 one, but it is a PITA. I'm hopeful it might get fixed if enough people complain about it, its certainly not something QA would pick up with their basic test stations which would only have a single controller hooked up.