PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst driver update?

abhinav682
11-15-2011, 12:24 AM
So guys I just saw the problem with ATI thread and everyone was talking about driver versions like 11.11 and i cant seem to figure out how to see it...? I have a ati radeon 5470 someone please tell me how do i find out?

Chubz123
11-15-2011, 12:28 AM
So guys I just saw the problem with ATI thread and everyone was talking about driver versions like 11.11 and i cant seem to figure out how to see it...? I have a ati radeon 5470 someone please tell me how do i find out?

It isn't available yet. I reckon it's supposed to be made available sometime today (Tuesday).

abhinav682
11-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Hmm okay but how do I see my catalyst version? and how do i update it when its available?

TyFulsang
11-15-2011, 12:38 AM
My guess would be to click "steam" then "check for video driver updates" on your steam overlay sometime tomorrow.

abhinav682
11-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Omg wtf :( I tried to update to 11.10 and it showed this:ATI catalyst cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer the version of your card is not supporter :(? and i used autodetect

Phazon
11-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Seriously a HD5470 is not meant to play games. Its designed for low-profile PCs or just so you can hook up a monitor and do desktop stuff.

abhinav682
11-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Thanks for that! I do not know any other way :P So Id completely uninstall and do what you told...thanks again :D

Chubz123
11-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Omg wtf :( I tried to update to 11.10 and it showed this:ATI catalyst cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer the version of your card is not supporter :(? and i used autodetect

Try manually selecting your configuration via this website (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx) and see if you have the same problem. As long as you select the correct options, it should lead you to drivers that are compatible with your PC.

Hmm okay but how do I see my catalyst version? and how do i update it when its available?

The easiest way to see your Catalyst version is to right-click anywhere on your desktop, click "Catalyst Control Center" from the menu, then when the CCC completely loads, click the "Information" button, then "Software." Your Catalyst version should be listed there for you.

If you want to keep checking for when it's available, you can either visit this website (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx) or follow this Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/@catalystcreator). When the new drivers are available, there are several ways to go about installing them. Everyone has his or her own preferred method. What I always do is follow these steps:

Click Start
Click Control Panel
Click Programs and Features
Click AMD Catalyst Install Manager
Click Change
Choose the Express Uninstall Option

This will uninstall your current Catalyst drivers and require you to restart your computer to finish the process. Go ahead and do so. When you're finished, just double-click the new drivers on your desktop and proceed with the installation. You'll be asked to restart your computer once more to complete the installation of the new drivers. When you've restarted your computer for the second and last time, the new video drivers should be ready to go and when you check your Catalyst Control Center's Software section, it should show you the version number of the driver set you just downloaded and installed.

Some people use utilities like Driver Cleaner to completely eradicate every last trace of drivers on their computer before installing and others even install the drivers right over top of the old ones without uninstalling them first! I actually went with the latter option until a few months ago when I started experiencing problems with the drivers not overwriting the old ones and was forced to uninstall them before installing the new ones. It's all up to you, really. I think the steps I listed above are both the safest and quickest, but like I said, everyone has his or her preferred method!

I hope you learned something today. ;) Best of luck.

Thanks for that! I do not know any other way :P So Id completely uninstall and do what you told...thanks again :D

No problem! I deleted the post you referred to and just mashed everything into a brand new post, just to clear up any potential confusion. :)

abhinav682
11-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Seriously a HD5470 is not meant to play games. Its designed for low-profile PCs or just so you can hook up a monitor and do desktop stuff.

IT is not :(? according to many I can play sr3 and the reason i have it is that i bought my laptop 2 years ago and did not know anything about graphic related drivers and changing cards in a laptop is very expensive...

abhinav682
11-15-2011, 01:04 AM
And I have a I3 3gb ram should I get a new graphic card to 6 series :(? I wish i knew much about these things 2 years ago i would have bought a alienware pc or something

Chubz123
11-15-2011, 01:07 AM
And I have a I3 3gb ram should I get a new graphic card to 6 series :(? I wish i knew much about these things 2 years ago i would have bought a alienware pc or something

Don't waste your time with overpriced Alienware PCs. Just build your own. There are some great tutorials online to get you started, and I'm sure that you could find tons of help in just about any computer hardware forum with people helping list all of the parts you'd need and assisting you with any problems during the build process. It's just cheaper and better to do it that way. When you purchase computers from Alienware, you're buying overpriced, pre-built machines with limited customization and just a few components to choose from per type. That's just my opinion. But to answer your first question about a new graphics card, yes, if you want to play any of the newest games at all on anything other than the lowest settings you'll absolutely need both a new graphics card and a new computer all-together. A laptop with an ATI 5470 video card simply won't cut it these days. Laptops are bad for gaming, period, because of their inability to have so many of their parts upgraded. They're stuck in time, whereas desktop PCs can constantly evolve and adapt as technology changes.

abhinav682
11-15-2011, 01:13 AM
You have a message btw :/ and yeah i noticed trouble on laptop with battery while playing l4d2 but when i removed the battery and plugged in the charger i got 60 fps while being in rooms and 30 while against hordes and most of the time on high... I wish i knew hat laptops arent for gaming >_> i specifically went to sony just to buy a laptop for gaming am so dumb D: