PDA

View Full Version : On Developer Support...

1nvisible~
11-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Hello!

I work at Creat, who are developers of the game, though I haven't participated in Smash Cars project. I see some threads describing game problems and lack of developer support, so I would like to clarify the situation. From the point of view of PC player (I have ~200 games on Steam and don't have a console) I clearly understand your position.

The game was originally developed for PS3 and after some time was ported and redesigned for PC. With moving to PC the game lost its multiplayer components, as it was thought to be rarely used according to stats gathered from PS3 version and because of lack of resources allocated to the project (Creat work on multiple projects which target different platforms).

The main problem is that both the original software team and PC team have moved to other companies after finishing the project. Currently there are no resources allocated to it. Moreover these forums are not currently taken into consideration, so our managers are even unaware of problems you encounter, though I have provided them with this information.

The other problem is that Smash Cars is the first major PC company's release in the past years, so there is no settled QA process for PC titles. AFAIK, the game has been tested with different wheels but the gamepads weren't taken into consideration, therefore the problems with XBox360 controller are encountered. And this is why the system requirements are weird (like stating only Intel processors as supported).

What can we do in such situation? You can post here the most important requests on supporting the project (most important bugs/missing features) so that I could pass them to our top managers, but I cannot guarantee you the results, as there are currently problems with lack of programmers as stated above.

Please, don't make off-topic posts. Hope we'll make the situation better.

TwwIX
01-04-2012, 01:06 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/incompetence

netnerd85
01-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Oh... my... god. Thanks for the information, but that is a very sad situation indeed!

So, no demo then?

paratech2008
01-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I'd suggest if you want gamers to buy this game, and any future games, that you not limit yourselves to Intel only customers, have 360 controller support out of the box, and also listen to gamers comments.

I'd love to buy this game, and making it exclusive to Intel gamers, not supporting the standard controller for the PC, really makes me wonder what your company was thinking.

DM88888
01-26-2012, 11:39 AM
I'd suggest if you want gamers to buy this game, and any future games, that you not limit yourselves to Intel only customers, have 360 controller support out of the box, and also listen to gamers comments.

I'd love to buy this game, and making it exclusive to Intel gamers, not supporting the standard controller for the PC, really makes me wonder what your company was thinking.

it also works on AMD CPU, cos i use one, but this game is garbage.

BaSeBallDuDeR
01-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Send a message to the devs about Xbox 360 support and then alot more people will love this game, please tell them to fix it or give us hope that they haven't forgotten their customers

1nvisible~
01-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Send a message to the devs about Xbox 360 support and then alot more people will love this game, please tell them to fix it or give us hope that they haven't forgotten their customers
OK, I will try that once again tomorrow...

BaSeBallDuDeR
01-26-2012, 02:06 PM
OK, I will try that once again tomorrow...

Woot that would be sweet, when they do this that would give them more money if they fix this little hiccup with the game, thanks for the fast reply!!

ozgeek
01-26-2012, 02:45 PM
What you need to do is implement xbox360 controller support. The current setting really sucks because if I use my 360 controller, START button is the Accelerator when it should be A (the green button).

kreed_uk
01-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Seems like a good game but as I have posted elsewhere my issue is with the Xbox 360 controller support and the use of key prompts when a controller is plugged in.

BaSeBallDuDeR
01-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Seems like a good game but as I have posted elsewhere my issue is with the Xbox 360 controller support and the use of key prompts when a controller is plugged in.

Just the main thing we would like is Xbox 360 controller support the prompts for the controller would be sweet

ElfShotTheFood
01-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Is there any controller support at all? Would an older gamepad like a Logitech Rumblepad work?

BaSeBallDuDeR
01-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Is there any controller support at all? Would an older gamepad like a Logitech Rumblepad work?

I don't know if it supports that controller because it's having enough of a hard time with the Xbox 360 controller as it is

videogames10
01-26-2012, 04:31 PM

Just download the latest version of the Profiler software for your gamepad from Logitech's website and map the keyboard keys to the gamepad (e.g. map the WASD keys to the left analog stick, etc.). That's what I typically do. I never use a game's built-in controller support.

GirlPower23
01-26-2012, 05:24 PM

I would say DirectInput was long the standard before MSFT Pushed XInput onto gamers. Either way, buy a Logitech and enjoy the best of both worlds. :cool:

simonorman
01-27-2012, 01:22 AM
I would say DirectInput was long the standard before MSFT Pushed XInput onto gamers. Either way, buy a Logitech and enjoy the best of both worlds. :cool:

I have a logitech controller and the xbox controller, and have to say even then the controls on this game are pink heart worthy in description. They really need to update this game with mapable controls as the layouts still don't match the controller whatsoever.

And why no side-to-side roll option for the joystick layout? I'll xpad for now but I'm really spending more time being frustrated with this game than rollicking in RCPROAM style kiddie goodness like I hoped for...

Nobodo
01-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Just download the latest version of the Profiler software for your gamepad from Logitech's website and map the keyboard keys to the gamepad (e.g. map the WASD keys to the left analog stick, etc.). That's what I typically do. I never use a game's built-in controller support.

How does that give you analog support? Native support for controllers gives you analog steering, gas, and brake.

1nvisible~
01-27-2012, 08:18 AM
I have talked to our manager. Now there is a chance that after completing some tasks on my current project, I'll look into the controller problem.

BTW, I have tried the game and it works well with PS3 controller.

brataccas
01-27-2012, 08:59 AM
I have talked to our manager. Now there is a chance that after completing some tasks on my current project, I'll look into the controller problem.

awesome, hope it gets fixed

:(

1nvisible~
01-27-2012, 09:20 AM
On PC, I mean. ;)

brataccas
01-27-2012, 09:57 AM
On PC, I mean. ;)

yep Im aware seeing as the game has a ps3 picture in the settings :(, doesnt mean a thing for us xbox360 controller owners though :(

Desperado2k
01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
The main problem is that both the original software team and PC team have moved to other companies after finishing the project. Currently there are no resources allocated to it.

I considered to buy this game since it reminded me of the good old Stunt GP, but after reading this, I pass.

BaSeBallDuDeR
01-27-2012, 10:21 AM

So you personally will be working on the controller problem?

netnerd85
01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I considered to buy this game since it reminded me of the good old Stunt GP, but after reading this, I pass.

I thought the same thing but after actually seeing some gameplay and playing the game, it's worth it!

BaSeBallDuDeR
01-27-2012, 11:18 AM
I thought the same thing but after actually seeing some gameplay and playing the game, it's worth it!

Ya its a fun game, it just needs a simple controller support to be fixed

kouni
01-27-2012, 12:37 PM
hello,
frankly it's great shame that this game does not support the 360 pad
result I gave up, even now the smallest game supports the 360 pad
why not smash cars plus a racing game too bad ,disgusted.

1nvisible~
01-27-2012, 02:41 PM
So you personally will be working on the controller problem?
If everything goes right with my current project, then yes, I will be working on it. Though I'm kind of limited in time, since I'm changing job in near future.

diabLo-DesignzZ
01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
If everything goes right with my current project, then yes, I will be working on it. Though I'm kind of limited in time, since I'm changing job in near future.

Nice to hear :) ...but, when you not have enough time it would be nice to implement an option for using of gamepad...like "use gamepad? yes/no"...so that we can use external programs like joy2key,xpadder or so...

I opened a thread with a file for this game...at first it worked(or i thinked it worked^^)...but now the game uses my keys and his own keys^^...turbo+handbrake is not cool xD...

Just wanted to throw it in...i think that this option, when you have very limited time, would be the easiest...dont know how your programmers did work^^...

BaSeBallDuDeR
01-28-2012, 03:54 AM

Would there be a Estimate of when you would be starting work on the patch? Would it be just you working on it or would you have other people help you too?

1nvisible~
01-28-2012, 04:11 AM
Would there be a Estimate of when you would be starting work on the patch? Would it be just you working on it or would you have other people help you too?
Currently there is no certain estimate. However less than a month is left until I leave the company so I hope this would be done during this period.
I don't think there will be any other person allocated to this task.

BaSeBallDuDeR
01-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Currently there is no certain estimate. However less than a month is left until I leave the company so I hope this would be done during this period.
I don't think there will be any other person allocated to this task.

Less then a Month?!! All our hopes rest on your shoulders. I wish you luck, could you leave us a message when work does begin so we can give input and feedback to better aide you in your work?

brataccas
01-28-2012, 05:19 AM
+1 to all that, and im sure that post above represents a lot of people...

1nvisible~
02-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Here are some news.

I have found the problem with the controls and figured out possible solution.

netnerd85
02-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Sounds like you need testers?

1nvisible~
02-02-2012, 11:47 AM
No. I have a PS3 controller with XBox emulation to test it myself.
Most likely there will be a tool to configure the controller layout with predefined setup for XBox controller.
There are three steps to complete the task:
1. implement externally configurable layout in game;
2. create a configuration tool;
3. figure out how to publish this all on Steam.

1nvisible~
02-07-2012, 09:53 AM
A little update.
I have understood the process of making changes to a Steam application and I am currently working on integrating configurable controller layout to the game.

BaSeBallDuDeR
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
A little update.
I have understood the process of making changes to a Steam application and I am currently working on integrating configurable controller layout to the game.

That sounds great!

netnerd85
02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Thank you for your continued dedication :)

1nvisible~
02-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Update.
I have completed integration of configurable controller layout to the game. It now works well with XBox 360 Controller as well as with PS3 one depending on external settings file.
Now it's time to write a tool which could create such a file.

BaSeBallDuDeR
02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Update.
I have completed integration of configurable controller layout to the game. It now works well with XBox 360 Controller as well as with PS3 one depending on external settings file.
Now it's time to write a tool which could create such a file.

Thats awesome!! Is it going to show the button prompts in game? Nice job man!!

1nvisible~
02-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Is it going to show the button prompts in game?
No, this would require some work by an artist, and all of them are working on other projects. All tips will still contain the keyboard icons.

1nvisible~
02-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Update.
The configuration tool is 50% complete...

somini
02-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Update.
Once again I would like to thank you personally for your continued support. Great Job!

BaSeBallDuDeR
02-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Update.

Thanks man this is sweet!!

1nvisible~
02-10-2012, 09:56 AM
The configuration tool is done.
The whole thing has been packaged and now is waiting for QA (will be on Monday).
Here are the release notes for an upcoming patch.

Added support for gamepad layout configuration with predefined setup for XBox 360 Controller
Added support for pressing Enter or Escape to skip intro
The game has been recompiled against newer DirectX version and with more optimization options

BaSeBallDuDeR
02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
The configuration tool is done.
The whole thing has been packaged and now is waiting for QA (will be on Monday).
Here are the release notes for an upcoming patch.

Added support for gamepad layout configuration with predefined setup for XBox 360 Controller
Added support for pressing Enter or Escape to skip intro
The game has been recompiled against newer DirectX version and with more optimization options

We are all very grateful for the work you have done, thank you so much!!!

1nvisible~
02-10-2012, 01:55 PM
I hope there will be no bugs and the update process will be smooth.
The only risk is that I have only one week left on my current job.

BaSeBallDuDeR
02-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Well that stinks you are leaving in a week, will there be anyone taking it over when you leave?

1nvisible~
02-10-2012, 03:14 PM
will there be anyone taking it over when you leave?
I don't think so...

BaSeBallDuDeR
02-10-2012, 03:55 PM
I don't think so...

Well I bet with this fix thongs will be alot better

netnerd85
02-11-2012, 05:07 AM

Shame, Clearly they are losing a valuable employee! all the best.

1nvisible~
02-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Update.
I have added some minor options on configuring the D-Pad.
Also I have translated all the strings in the configuration tool to Russian.
QA is in process.

BaSeBallDuDeR
02-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Update.
I have added some minor options on configuring the D-Pad.
Also I have translated all the strings in the configuration tool to Russian.
QA is in process.

Nice job man, is this your last week there?

1nvisible~
02-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Nice job man, is this your last week there?
Yes, the last one.
I really hope things will get done before I leave.

1nvisible~
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Update.
Some issues appeared on clean Windows XP machine with DirectX redistributable and the configuration tool, which have been resolved. QA will continue tomorrow, though most of the checks are already done.

The configuration tool will require .Net Framework 2.0, which is not installed by default on Windows XP. In case it is not installed, the tool will prompt you to open Microsoft's download link for it. Vista/7 users have it pre-installed by default and are unaffected. XP users with auto-update being on might also avoid this problem.

1nvisible~
02-17-2012, 02:20 PM
OK guys today was the last day on my job.
QA have encountered regressions with wheel support. The code which handles wheel input had many hard-coded constants, so I couldn't fix all the problems. Now wheel users will also have to use the configuration tool. Wheels will work correctly only with Scheme 1 and Scheme 2.
Finally, we decided to make the patch live, however there was no possibility to upload it today (a contact with Valve is needed for this). I hope the patch will be uploaded next week.

netnerd85
02-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks again and good luck!

Cakefist
03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
I have noticed I still can't use my Xbox pad. Did this not get patched yet?

BaSeBallDuDeR
03-08-2012, 02:36 PM
I have noticed I still can't use my Xbox pad. Did this not get patched yet?

Nope not yet the patch is on its way

1nvisible~
03-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Update.
I have contacted Creat and they still haven't uploaded the patch. I'm going to get there some day and check if there are any problems preventing them from doing that. However I heard from my friend that he is currently working on this project, so there's definitely something going on.

badtrane
03-23-2012, 05:23 AM
Update.
I have contacted Creat and they still haven't uploaded the patch. I'm going to get there some day and check if there are any problems preventing them from doing that. However I heard from my friend that he is currently working on this project, so there's definitely something going on.

Thanks man :)

1nvisible~
04-20-2012, 08:15 AM
OK, I visited Creat once again and found out that the patch had been mistakenly thought as submitted to Valve.
Yesterday the patch was finally uploaded (I saw that process, so it's now done for real). So I really hope it to come up on Steam next week.

somini
04-20-2012, 12:13 PM
OK, I visited Creat once again and found out that the patch had been mistakenly thought as submitted to Valve.
Yesterday the patch was finally uploaded (I saw that process, so it's now done for real). So I really hope it to come up on Steam next week.
You are a god amongst man! That you very much.
I hope you got another job after leaving Creat, and if you do, please tells us.:cool:

StabMasterJozzz
04-22-2012, 01:53 AM

Thanks for the update and thanks for all your help.

isolated1
05-11-2012, 05:28 AM
so did the patch ever make it onto steam? Have been wanting to play the game with the triggers to accelerate and brake.

1nvisible~
05-16-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm sorry, but it's still not released. I try to accelerate the process of its publishing, but there are some difficulties...

RoadiePC
05-21-2012, 05:28 AM
I played this for 4 minutes, decided that this is not a complete PC game, and opened my first support ticket asking for a refund. I had to register with Steam Support, and afterward, reset my long-disused Steam forums account so I could just post here.

What I wanted to say is that while your attempts are noble and you have my respect, I am glad you left Creat. They don't deserve you. I think their behavior is unacceptable, especially that the only statement I've found didn't even come from them, it came from you.

The truth is, I used to pirate, and I am genuinely trying not to anymore. Look at my library(same username)--I even purchased some DRM-ridden Ubisoft titles recently. I want to respect/support the work that goes into these games, even the ones that I end up not playing/enjoying. However, this feels to me like a bait-and-switch. Not liking a game is not the same the game missing core features(AMD CPU support? 360 controller support? Really?).

Kudos & Bravo for your efforts, but I hope Valve refunds me for this. As far as I'm concerned, it's broken, and if I paid for broken software I feel gypped.

If anyone wants to say I'm QQ'ing over non-core features, I say in advance that I respect your opinion, but simply feel ripped off if I can't play a game I paid for. It's subjective, and your mileage may vary, but for me, the buck stops here.

/Rant.

TheHappyCog
06-04-2012, 02:43 PM
To be fair, there could be approval issues with Steam holding it up. That seems to happen more than one would hope.

I don't regret my purchase- I love arcadey racers like this- but the lack of progress on this issue is discouraging.

Doctor_Hades
07-07-2012, 05:41 AM
So what has happened to this Xbox 360 controller support then? Has it died a quiet death?

I've just bought the game today for my PC after trying the PS3 version which was good but the jaggies and screen tearing were too distracting so I opted for the computer version instead. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that the Xbox 360 controller was not supported properly and that START was accelerate!!!

So is this game going to be patched up to support the now-standard Xbox 360 controller or not?

Doctor_Hades
07-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Anyone?

BaSeBallDuDeR
07-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Anyone?

Well it might be in Steams hands right now since they said they uploaded it to steam and they are just waiting for approval

bra2accas
07-14-2012, 07:30 AM
any update yet?

1nvisible~
07-15-2012, 04:59 AM
Hi guys, sorry for the long delay on the situation.
As far as I know, the patch is waiting for its release on Steam side. I don't know why it takes so much time, but as I heard, Steam staff haven't still replied to some e-mail which is required for the patch to go live...

Doctor_Hades
07-17-2012, 09:52 AM
This game might as well have used Games for Windows LIVE for the length of time it takes for a patch to get approved. We're only mortal you know!!!

somini
07-18-2013, 04:14 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/news/11104/
Oh my...

1nvisible~
07-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Well, for some weird reason, the update has not still been published by Steam.

johnno
07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
I just bought and installed the game. I then found this. I'm guessing the patch, even though announced, is still to be released?

1nvisible~
07-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Yes, it is not released as of now.

Buttsy
04-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Frankly, I wish I'd never installed the patch... at least prior to the patch I could PLAY the game I purchased, using my Logitech RUmblepads and keybd mapping w/ the profiler. I do appreciate Invisible's coming here to explain the situation with Creat though.

somini
04-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Frankly, I wish I'd never installed the patch... at least prior to the patch I could PLAY the game I purchased, using my Logitech RUmblepads and keybd mapping w/ the profiler. I do appreciate Invisible's coming here to explain the situation with Creat though. Holy necro, Batman. The discussion moved to the new forums. http://steamcommunity.com/app/111300/discussions/0/810921273979862915/ (https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/http://steamcommunity.com/app/111300/discussions/0/810921273979862915/)

Mr.Snacko
11-17-2014, 09:25 AM
I just got this game on Steam, and when I start a game, the front wheels are straight during the starting countdown. Then as soon as it starts, they turn left. When I try to turn them to the right with the right arrow they don't move at all. But when I press the left arrow, they do turn further left. So I can only go in a circle.

I have the controller set to use the keyboard scheme 1. So, what could be causing it to turn left. :o

http://i.imgur.com/dzL7kxG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LgFCdKH.jpg

Mr.Snacko
11-17-2014, 11:59 AM
I have identified that the game is actually using my CH Pedals as the controllers even though I have selected keyboard. How do you fix that???