PDA

View Full Version : Custom sprays not displaying

LeadMeister
11-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I can't see any custom sprays that other players use, and no one can see my custom sprays. I've been playing DOD for 8 years and have never had this problem before. All my custom sprays have worked just fine for the last several year. The only thing that I've done lately is to replace my router. Everything else in the game works just fine.

Update: When I bypassed my new router this morning (Netgear WGT624v4) the sprays started working again. So, I hooked my router up again and port forwarded all the recommended Steam ports, and disabled (opened) the NAT. Doesn't work, same problem. Router in ... no custom sprays, router out ... sprays work.

I forwarded the following ports:

Steam Client

* UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
* UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
* TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
* UDP 4380

Did I miss something here? Please advise - Thanks

Amaterasu
11-19-2011, 10:03 AM
I suspect that you may have played on a server that has changed some of the values in your config. The cvar that deals with downloading custom decals is cl_download_ingame (boolean: 0 disables the download of players custom sprays, 1 enables downloading custom sprays in-game). If my suspicion is correct then opening the console and typing cl_download_ingame 1 should sort the problem.

LeadMeister
11-19-2011, 03:30 PM
I suspect that you may have played on a server that has changed some of the values in your config. The cvar that deals with downloading custom decals is cl_download_ingame (boolean: 0 disables the download of players custom sprays, 1 enables downloading custom sprays in-game). If my suspicion is correct then opening the console and typing cl_download_ingame 1 should sort the problem.

Appreciate your help. Please refer to my post update (above).

Vet
11-20-2011, 11:55 AM
I use netgear routers and have the problem either way. You don't usually need port forwarding unless you're running a server.

I think Valve disabled the swapping of custom sprays. If you look in your console, you'll probably see the statements:
Requesting tempdecal.wad from server
Error: server failed to transmit file 'customization'

If the player's spray is already in your local custom.hpk file, it will still be displayed. I don't know when or why they disabled it.

LeadMeister
11-20-2011, 05:13 PM
I use netgear routers and have the problem either way. You don't usually need port forwarding unless you're running a server.

I think Valve disabled the swapping of custom sprays. If you look in your console, you'll probably see the statements:

If the player's spray is already in your local custom.hpk file, it will still be displayed. I don't know when or why they disabled it.

Very interesting about Steam possibly disabling custom sprays. I will give it a looky. - Thanks

LeadMeister
11-20-2011, 10:53 PM

Well, it seems that you are right. I bypassed my router again tonight and I couldn't see any custom sprays other players were using in-game and they couldn't see mine either. So, it's apparently it's not a router "port" problem at all as I first suspected.

This really upsets me because for 8 years I've been making custom sprays fro me and many others to use and now that DOD feature seems to have been eliminated. So, sad. I will submit a ticket to Steam and see what they have to say about it.

LeadMeister
11-20-2011, 11:41 PM
I submitted the following help ticket request to Steam:

... I've been playing Day of Defeat ver 1.6 (classic) for many years. As a hobby I have made custom sprays for myself and over 100 other DOD players. Until recently I've had no problems with using my sprays in-game, or seeing other players custom sprays. But now no one can see my in-game sprays and I can't see other players sprays either.

I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this problem ...

# reinstalled DOD 3 times

# made sure that the following commands were in my config file:
cl_allowupload 1
cl_allowdownload 1
cl_download_ingame 1

# bypassed my router

# removed my anti-virus software

# tried DOD on another computer using Windows XP (my first choice computer uses Vista 64)

# deleted my local custom.hpk file

Nothing has helped. This feature is very important to me so please help.

Note: On the Steam DOD forum one person posted under my request for help that this spray feature was turned off by Valve. If this is the case please explain why.

Thanks for your time ...

LeadMeister
11-24-2011, 03:29 AM
... If the player's spray is already in your local custom.hpk file, it will still be displayed. I don't know when or why they disabled it.

Problem resolved. Thanks "Vet", your comment about the "custom.hpk" file led me in the right direction.

acrsandman
05-05-2012, 05:35 AM
Problem resolved. Thanks "Vet", your comment about the "custom.hpk" file led me in the right direction.

Ok how did you solve the problem?

I've treid overwriting, renaming and deleting the custom.hpk and the problem remains. So any further information would be nice.