PDA

View Full Version : Getting my [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color] kicked

fPeter
11-21-2011, 01:23 AM
I've hit a brick wall on my first playthrough. I'm currently on Mars 30 starting with 17k and i'm making zero progress. I think my defenses are optimal (as far as my research allows) but i can't even begin to worry about the invincible boss because there's a CONSTANT stream of ghosts coming in so i have to be on the capacitors all the time.

I turned off the automatic difficulty about 10-15 maps ago, it's stuck on "maximum" or pretty close to it(haven't been paying attention to the medals)

What do i do now? Turn the difficulty adjustment back on and let it go to the game over screen before i retry, or should i just restart the campaign and go for better research?

princec
11-21-2011, 03:16 AM
$17k is an absolute fortune to be starting a level with. If you're still losing the level and you've got cash in the bank... well, as William S Boroughs said in "Words for Advice for Young People", "But who wants to be the richest guy in some cemetary, eh grandpa?"

There are various other tactics against ghosts than trying to kill them
all.

The simplest tactic, open to all no matter what your research, is to place a sacrificial $250 blaster in their way. It holds them up and is relatively inexpensive compared to, say, losing.

There are 3 avenues of research against the ghosts otherwise:

1. Capacitors. The best way to deal with them.
2. Nanomesh. This barricade stops ghosts. Only very few available per level so best used as a last resort around the base itself.
3. X-ray scanner tech. Allows blasters to shoot at ghosts.

Cas :)

fPeter
11-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I actually spend all of that : (

Thanks for the research tips, i'm half-tempted to go back a few missions and get some of that, but i don't see any recent upgrades that i could afford to replace with it. I did resort to sacrifice blasters on the first ghost mission because i got the rocket turret instead of capacitors, that's how bad my tech is :( Before that i was working on robotics.

On this mission though i seem to get a group of 5 ghosts every 10 seconds or so, so i'm not sure if the blaster thing is viable. And then there's still the problem with the boss, i might have to cut some of my other defenses and build a very expensive ambush just for him.

fPeter
11-21-2011, 04:03 PM
I have to say though, despite my whining i absolutely adore this game! It won't let me fall into a routine, it makes me fight for every mission.