PDA

View Full Version : Rreally? gfwl and steamworks at the same time....

cmoyano
11-22-2011, 08:37 AM
GFWL AND STEAMWORKS AT THE SAME TIME? WTF IS THIS CRAP? IS THERE A WAY TO TURN OFF GFWL? MY GOD

FuuKuy
11-22-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm pretty sure about what happened here...

Rocksteady/Warner Bros Interactive decided to implement GFWL+SecuROM (as they did with Arkham Asylum back in 2009).

BUT then they realized about such bad decision. GFWL have been stuck. Microsoft's platform have not been evolved at all, many people complained about GFWL meanwhile TEAM have changed and improved a lot since then. And the PC gaming community have happily embraced STEAM.

So at the end they decided to include STEAMworks too (but only on the STEAM version) for popular demand. And I supose they couldn't ripoff GFWL because some sort of contract with Microsoft.

I hope they learned the lesson. Next time include STEAMworks and nothing more.

IS THERE A WAY TO TURN OFF GFWL?

I think you can turn OFF notifications.

pierre.fouquet
11-22-2011, 08:52 AM
just deal with it, GFWL isnt bad, ive had 0 issues with it that arent to do with activation, and its because i was typing an old code not the new one.

so what is wrong with GFWL? and no you cant deactivate it

gary0758
11-22-2011, 09:31 AM
just deal with it, GFWL isnt bad, ive had 0 issues with it that arent to do with activation, and its because i was typing an old code not the new one.

This is wrong in 2 ways.

1. GFWL is a god awful program that can ruin many things. I was big into Fallout 3 and it almost ruined the game for me.

2. Also, modders have come out with mods that can disable it. Hopefully they develop a mod for this game. Whenever I play Fallout 3 now its without GFWL.

ElectricAcidKid
11-22-2011, 09:51 AM
I hope GFWL just die. Really, I tried using it before Steam. It's a complete utter garbage.

palillos1337
11-22-2011, 09:55 AM
F windows live man. i was peeved when i started up this game, ALREADY on steam and then i had to sign in as boundingcomet1... lol

i don't want my save files all jumbled up in this crappy program. and i want to be able to use the home key damnit.

pragzor
11-22-2011, 10:00 AM
I'd like to see Origin and Uplay as well, to get ultimate gaming experience.

Venimous
11-22-2011, 10:18 AM
I love getting achievements now, watching my framerate crap itself as two seperate overlays popup is awesome!

Medium_Rare
11-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Dirt 3 all over again.

AeonGrey
11-22-2011, 10:24 AM
So GFWL is bad because it "ruins things" and is "horrible"? Did you see the part where people asked what specifically has happened? AA and AC are not Steam exclusive games. The publishers probably decided to include it. It's the same way with AA or any other game that uses GFWL. I don't think Steam can just make the publisher make an exception for them.

softcorebro
11-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I have no official information about this, but my guess is that Rocksteady planned to ditch GFWL due to customer complaints but Warner Bros (the company that owns Rocksteady) had already inked out a deal to be shoehorned into the project.

cmoyano
11-22-2011, 11:23 AM
So GFWL is bad because it "ruins things" and is "horrible"? Did you see the part where people asked what specifically has happened? AA and AC are not Steam exclusive games. The publishers probably decided to include it. It's the same way with AA or any other game that uses GFWL. I don't think Steam can just make the publisher make an exception for them.

no, the point here is that there are two forms of DRM. Why not just keep one? you may like gfwl, fact is 90 percent of the pc gaming population doesnt. Steam is a much better option. Why put steamworks and gfwl at the same time? two overlays is just a horrendous idea. Why not make steam veriosn steamworks and retail gfwl? two programs to run 1 game is absolutely ridicuous, and worse of all, you have to be ONLINE ON GFWL to be able to save? gtfo

AeonGrey
11-22-2011, 11:47 AM
no, the point here is that there are two forms of DRM. Why not just keep one?

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that the publisher decides what kind of DLC goes with their game. Arkham Asylum had both SecuRom and GFWL, so I assume they for whatever reason decided to include those with this one. As for why Steamworks is included: It is my understanding that any Steam game by definition uses Steamworks and Steam DLC. Valve does not get to decide what DRM a non-Valve game will use, they are simply distributing a product for which they have purchased the rights to sell.

you may like gfwl

I did not say that, because I don't necessarily like it or dislike it. I realize my experiences aren't the same as others, I was just putting in my two cents about how unobtrusive I've found it. I don't doubt that other people find it obtrusive and that it causes problems. In fact, if you'll notice, this is what I was asking about in my post. I wanted to know what problems people were having with it because I am curious and all I'd ever seen people say on forums is that it "sucks" or is "horrible" and ruins games, with little to no specifics.

fact is 90 percent of the pc gaming population doesnt.

This isn't a logical argument. I would love to hear reasons why GFWL is horrible, but just telling me that a majority of people don't like it isn't going to sway me much.

Steam is a much better option.

I have no problem with that.

Why put steamworks and gfwl at the same time? two overlays is just a horrendous idea. Why not make steam veriosn steamworks and retail gfwl?

See above.

two programs to run 1 game is absolutely ridicuous, and worse of all, you have to be ONLINE ON GFWL to be able to save?

I agree, having too much DLC and overhead can get ridiculous eventually. As far as saving offline, I'm pretty sure that GFWL lets you save games offline (they are stored locally).

gtfo

Awww....tell you what, why don't you try again when you are ready to have a grown up conversation?

cmoyano
11-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that the publisher decides what kind of DLC goes with their game. Arkham Asylum had both SecuRom and GFWL, so I assume they for whatever reason decided to include those with this one. As for why Steamworks is included: It is my understanding that any Steam game by definition uses Steamworks and Steam DLC. Valve does not get to decide what DRM a non-Valve game will use, they are simply distributing a product for which they have purchased the rights to sell.

I did not say that, because I don't necessarily like it or dislike it. I realize my experiences aren't the same as others, I was just putting in my two cents about how unobtrusive I've found it. I don't doubt that other people find it obtrusive and that it causes problems. In fact, if you'll notice, this is what I was asking about in my post. I wanted to know what problems people were having with it because I am curious and all I'd ever seen people say on forums is that it "sucks" or is "horrible" and ruins games, with little to no specifics.

This isn't a logical argument. I would love to hear reasons why GFWL is horrible, but just telling me that a majority of people don't like it isn't going to sway me much.

I have no problem with that.

See above.

I agree, having too much DLC and overhead can get ridiculous eventually. As far as saving offline, I'm pretty sure that GFWL lets you save games offline (they are stored locally).

Awww....tell you what, why don't you try again when you are ready to have a grown up conversation?

why does gfwl sucks. Ok. Its badly coded, with a very lazy interface. It is ian insult to have to wait a minute to log in to my account to play the game. It is not only a clunky interface, but a broken one as well cause half the updates don't even work. Achievements? steam has them, with global stats tracking. I can compare those stats to my friends. Steamworks has a friends list, smooth overlay which GFWL doesnt have. I cant compare stats in GFWL. Steam uses skype drivers for chat, the voice chat in GFWL is atrocious. GFWL has a ♥♥♥♥ty store in the middle of the XBOX.com page, with absolutely no information on the game besides $$$. There is no web browser, its a hassle to invite friends. It doesnt offer half of what steam offers and when its down, your pretty much screwed. It is also a lot more of a resource hugger than steam is and you cant even turn it off if you wanted to. You can start steam offline, sign off and even turn steam overlay off. A pc game interface should be used with a mouse and keyboard not with a pad. The fact that it hasnt been updated since the last time it was updated, which was most likely when gears of war pc came out. That was the last interface update. It is also a ripoff. I have community news on steam, groups, my whole library of games at my disposal whenever i want to. Automatic updates. Also, better servers on steam. If COD was a gfwl, it would not even get half the sales it got on steam. Steamworks sells better. They give developers all the information they want regarding the sales and numbers of their games. More than 50 percent of the pc gaming population, IS without a doubt on steam. Do you not mind origin as well? steam has been around for a while, and has settled in as the standard for pc gaming. This is all offered by steam(works). Oh and the gtfo was not directed to you, but to the general anger towards gfwl and its ludicrous ways of starting my game. You hear about how super sf4 on pc would run gfwl and in OFFLINE mode you would be lmited to 15 characters only out of the 39? for drm reasons? so i cant play the game offline when am a paying customer? naw man, thats not the way things work. For that, ill go pirate my games. Why the necessity for 2 clients running at once for one game?

Venimous
11-22-2011, 12:10 PM
For me, my dislike of GFWL comes from Fable 3.

It took me 6 hours to download the Fable 3 DLCs off GFWL, something which would have taken me twenty to thirty minutes at most if it was done through STEAM.

This included both the whole GFWL app and the downloads constantly pausing up and me requiring to ctrl-alt-del out of Fable 3 several times while it was throwing this fit. It continued to do this after i attempted to uninstall and reinstall it. Then due to all this hilarity one of the DLCs was corrupted, GFWL then proceeded to force me to redownload ALL the DLCs before i could even load up my savegame.

Upon checking the site to see what was up i found both the GFWL app and the site to be very XBOX centric. It really seems like it got left behind by Microsoft as an afterthought to XBOXLive and not something they'd be likely to want to bother working on making better.

AC has lost my sale for it's DLCs if it wants me to download them through GFWL. It's something i'm very wary of now.

AeonGrey
11-22-2011, 12:37 PM
@cmoyano

There! You made some half-way decent points. Was it so hard?

Medium_Rare
11-22-2011, 12:43 PM
GFWL is so effed up that you can't even change some things (like your account email address) without an xbox.

Its pretty ridiculous.

Death_Masta187
11-22-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm just glad I didn't pay money for this console crap(got a free code from a friend Who did pay for it).
really is Steamworks + GFWL + SecuROM necessary for a crappy console port? I can bet ill head into work on Friday and see my co worker playing this game on his laptop. I don't think he has paid for a game in the last 15 years either. I'm not saying what he does is right but it just goes to show crap like this only hurts paying customers.

please Rocksteady patch out GFWL and Securom. They are worthless.

so steam decides to drop BF3 because it required origin to play yet GFWL is worse when it comes to how it sells DLC. Valve should drop all GFWL games IMO.

gary0758
11-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Here's some other examples:

1.Game requires GFWL to play. When launched GFWL requires update. Updates hangs forever on 99%. Game can never be played. GFWL tech support is non existent.

2.When switching GFWL to a new PC after an install or 2 it will prevent you from utilizing it.

3.When DLC comes out through GFWL do not expect it to actually be functioning downloaded and installed.

MellonCollie
11-22-2011, 02:29 PM
ITT: I hate GFWL so everyone else must hate it too or else.

Honestly I've had no problems with GFWL so I don't see what the big deal is.

Red Exodus
11-22-2011, 02:51 PM
ITT: I hate GFWL so everyone else must hate it too or else.

Honestly I've had no problems with GFWL so I don't see what the big deal is.

Are you saying that because you have no issues with GFWL no one else can have issues? You make it sound like everyone who has ever had a complaint about GFWL is a liar.

Nitrium
11-22-2011, 03:07 PM
It's weird that it has achievements for both platforms...

pragzor
11-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Guys, still no Robin and Nightwing in steam store, how do we buy them?

Rockworm
11-22-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm not a fan of GFWL but even I think this is getting out of hand neither Steam or GFWL are giving me any issues.

Kleetus
11-22-2011, 03:44 PM
fact is 90 percent of the pc gaming population doesnt.

This may come as a shock to you, but your opinion is not fact.

Unless you can show worldwide legitmate surveys to back your claim up?

Can't wait to see it....

Steam is a much better option.

Says you, and the world doesn't revolve around you.

Stop posting your opinion as fact and a rule we all have to follow.

you have to be ONLINE ON GFWL to be able to save?

WRONG, you can create an offline profile and save.

At the very least educate yourself before making false statements.

Mikey-
11-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Oh my god yet another person who apparently can't read oh my god most of us have known about this for months oh my god.

Mikey-
11-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm just glad I didn't pay money for this console crap(got a free code from a friend Who did pay for it).

Was your friend's name Skidrow?

cmoyano
11-22-2011, 04:09 PM
This may come as a shock to you, but your opinion is not fact.

Unless you can show worldwide legitmate surveys to back your claim up?

Can't wait to see it....

Says you, and the world doesn't revolve around you.

Stop posting your opinion as fact and a rule we all have to follow.

WRONG, you can create an offline profile and save.

At the very least educate yourself before making false statements.

offline profile? lmfao...sure, you still get no stats, non daetd cheevos and guess what? you still have the lousy interface of GFWL. Fact is, and this is a FACT, not a matter of opinion, pc gamers prefer steam to gfwl anytime? how much would you wanna bet on that? hell, in some cases gfwl is game breaker and a no sale to a lot of people. Lets ask the forum users here on steam, which do they prefer. My opinion may not be fact, but in this case it is a fact that most pc gamers prefer steam. Just like I cant prove it, you cant either, but we all know i am closer to the truth than you are simply put because steam is the home for pc gaming. Its not a matter of research, but a matter of just knowing what is better for a pc game. Bethesda got it right, going steamworks for all their games. Sales are not in the millions, but they would not even be a third if they were gfwl. Same goes with COD and all other steamworks games. It is a proven fact, that people prefer steam, if not, head over to the rocksteady forums, and see the outrage about gfwl being used and how a lot of people will not buy because of it. Youre just mad you cant get GFWL to be as popular cause as a console player you want that lil gamerscore of yours to go up and gfwl is the only way thats going to happen. Thats why you love it, other than that, if you dont understand how intrusive it is, how useless and broken it is, then ladies and gentlemen, we have one of the few GFWL fans right here, clap clap clap....

Necrosis
11-22-2011, 04:14 PM
@cmoyano

There! You made some half-way decent points. Was it so hard?Is it so hard for you to search the Steam forums or even the internet as a whole to find out why people hate GFWL? Most people here (Steam Forums) do not bother going into details about why GFWL sucks balls because it is just preaching to the choir.

cmoyano
11-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Is it so hard for you to search the Steam forums or even the internet as a whole to find out why people hate GFWL? Most people here (Steam Forums) do not bother going into details about why GFWL sucks balls because it is just preaching to the choir.

thank you....now tell that to the guy above who believes gfwl is so awesome and that it is not a fact that pc gamers prefer steam

Kleetus
11-22-2011, 05:45 PM
you still get no stats, non daetd cheevos and guess what? you still have the lousy interface of GFWL.

Don't try to side-step or deflect, stats and interface have nothing to do with what you said earlier.

You said with GFWL you can't save unless you're online.

Next time don't spout rubbish without knowing basics.....

Fact is, and this is a FACT, not a matter of opinion, pc gamers prefer steam to gfwl anytime?

Prove it, and show me where it says the figure is 90% as you proclaimed?

A reputable market research or survey site will be fine.

It shouldn't be hard to find, after all, it is fact according to you? :)

cmoyano
11-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Don't try to side-step or deflect, stats and interface have nothing to do with what you said earlier.

You said with GFWL you can't save unless you're online.

Next time don't spout rubbish without knowing basics.....

Prove it, and show me where it says the figure is 90% as you proclaimed?

A reputable market research or survey site will be fine.

It shouldn't be hard to find, after all, it is fact according to you? :)

no need to prove it, when its been said by all steam users on steam forums...its ok man, keep loving gfwl, youre just one of the few, while i enjoy steam cheevos, stats, steam voice chat with skype drivers, steam friends list with easy to invite,community, news, gorups, an option to turn off steam overlay, to go in offline mode, and many other things that make steam, the superior choice. As the post before me said, steam users dont even bother posting the hate of gfwl cause it attracts trolls like you that are easily offended when they dont get points added to their gamerscore. Steam stats tell you everything. Go look at them and see how the top 20 games are all steamworks games and not gfwl oe anything else. Even football manager is top 3. You just gotta look at the obvious and not try to defend a system like GFWL that doesnt offer ANY benefits to the gamers. Maybe your friend skidrow can help you out in that.

HorrorScope
11-22-2011, 06:33 PM
If you are a person that hasn't had problems with GFWL, count your lucky stars. Many have suffered. Reminds me of those who didn't have RROD on the 360 for quite a while telling those who did, your delusional. Someday you will have these issues and then you'll join the club. It's a ♥♥♥♥♥ to remove fully if you ever do have an issue. That is my #1 issue with it.

scubs
11-22-2011, 06:37 PM
GFWL is so effed up that you can't even change some things (like your account email address) without an xbox.

Its pretty ridiculous.

and they charge $10 if you want to change your username.. MS = pathetic.

sparks454alive
11-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Well, I was considering buying this, until that detritus GfWL showed up.

So until some nice coder can delete that hump, I'll not be playing AC.

BuckarooBanzai
11-22-2011, 09:19 PM
I hope GFWL just die. Really, I tried using it before Steam. It's a complete utter garbage.

seriously. I bought bioshock 2 when it was on sale, tried to play it...restarted the game 20 times because GFWL live said I had to for updates and then just said ♥♥♥♥ it.

steven88
11-22-2011, 09:29 PM
i never had a problem with GFWL...until they locked me out of GTA 4...they said I exceeded my CD KEY usage

Sure GFWL was slow...and it updated like a million times before you can actually play the game...but after that, it wasn't too bad (for me at least)...then I got jarateed when I got locked out of GTA 4...and when I hit up the folks over at GFWL tech support, they were absolutely clueless as to why I was being locked out...they eventually escalated the case and now its been 2 months...I'm still with a broken copy of GTA 4....I asked them whats the hold up? And they said, the case has to go through the whole chain of command before it gets the okay...wow, are you kidding me? what idiot works behind those desks at GFWL?

GFWL is just terrible...no revoke tool...terrible customer support...slow as hell...!!

Armandeus
11-22-2011, 11:26 PM
GFWL sucks because it region locks you out of the DLC for the game if you are not in NA, and the same DLC is NEVER offered in the region you're placed in. That's enough for me to want to never have anything to do with it.

BuckarooBanzai
11-22-2011, 11:34 PM
GFWL sucks because it region locks you out of the DLC for the game if you are not in NA, and the same DLC is NEVER offered in the region you're placed in. That's enough for me to want to never have anything to do with it.

after all the hoops you jump thru to get it up and running what bothers me most is I cant Alt-f4 to quit without having to click yes to closing the program in GFWL. oh and the fact it has the same exact awards as steam, so I get my screen blasted by both at the same time...really awesome if you love spam.

Strike_You
11-22-2011, 11:37 PM
We had a discussion in class tonight about GFWL, most of the class said they hated it, the INTERESTING part came when asked why... most had never even used it but "Heard it was bad" and the few of us that had used it had issues that were patched long ago.

My issue is not with GFWL but with the game deciding to have multiple apps that need to be running while playing the game.. it's DRM overkill and I doubt anyone can argue that.

BUT

my question is this.. in it's current state, why do you not like GFWL?

BuckarooBanzai
11-22-2011, 11:45 PM

its obtuse and in your face constantly. and its settings menu is barren, only thing you can do is opt in and change install directories. plus everything else you just said as a negative... whats to like? do you actually use it for anything?

richwn
11-22-2011, 11:48 PM
GFWL is a godawful mess. You install it , it immediately wants an update or you cant play. for me, you update, it just breaks and the overlay disappears completely rendering the game useless. Its ♥♥♥♥tily laid out and its not even a good app for buying games from, all it does now is redirect you to the xbox marketplace. why does it exist! everything that its required to do can be done through steam..

Locclo
11-22-2011, 11:50 PM
The only problem I have with it is that it requires constant access, and said access is tied to your save files. It's complete overkill. Say I'm playing a game (this happened in Arkham Asylum), and for whatever reason, my internet goes out. Mine does from time to time, often when there are too many people on the network or I'm trying to use Skype while my brother plays Xbox.

The problem is that when my internet goes out, I can no longer save my game. I'm stuck. If I get a bunch of progress and want to quit, I can't until the internet comes back up. While I can respect the need for DRM, requiring a constant internet connection to save the game is way too far.

This is why I like Steam. Because once I've bought and activated my product, that's all I need to do to enjoy my game.

Strike_You
11-22-2011, 11:50 PM
its obtuse and in your face constantly. and its settings menu is barren, only thing you can do is opt in and change install directories. plus everything else you just said as a negative... whats to like? do you actually use it for anything?

I disagree about obtuse and in your face.. it starts up as the game starts up and goes away......

What settings would you like to see? I mean it's just a DRM method imo.. The sad fact is they used it along with Steam which I would think would be patched out in the near future (but not going to hold my breath)

I use it for games that require it, nothing more nothing less

AngelGraves13
11-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Horrible.

Why do we have achievements in both games? What is the point? It should have gone GFWL only if this was the case.

Strike_You
11-22-2011, 11:54 PM
The only problem I have with it is that it requires constant access, and said access is tied to your save files. It's complete overkill. Say I'm playing a game (this happened in Arkham Asylum), and for whatever reason, my internet goes out. Mine does from time to time, often when there are too many people on the network or I'm trying to use Skype while my brother plays Xbox.

The problem is that when my internet goes out, I can no longer save my game. I'm stuck. If I get a bunch of progress and want to quit, I can't until the internet comes back up. While I can respect the need for DRM, requiring a constant internet connection to save the game is way too far.

This is why I like Steam. Because once I've bought and activated my product, that's all I need to do to enjoy my game.

I don't understand? You're saying to save your game in AA you had to be logged in to GFWL?

BuckarooBanzai
11-22-2011, 11:57 PM
I disagree about obtuse and in your face.. it starts up as the game starts up and goes away......

What settings would you like to see? I mean it's just a DRM method imo.. The sad fact is they used it along with Steam which I would think would be patched out in the near future (but not going to hold my breath)

I use it for games that require it, nothing more nothing less

id like a option to hide the overlay and awards from popping up. I would also really love to never be prompted to verify I want to quit the game when I try to close it.

I don't understand? You're saying to save your game in AA you had to be logged in to GFWL?

yeah...seems to be a method of DRM...you cant save your game without signing into GFWL in the game after having logged into it when you launched the game. dont feel bad for not comprehending that, its supposed to be incomprehensible.

seriously, what does any of this accomplish when the pirate scene gets all these drm features stripped off often before the game is even available for purchase. the game company pisses money away licensing software that in the end only inconveniences their paying customers. but I digress, have had this debate far too many times.

Locclo
11-23-2011, 12:00 AM

That's exactly what I'm saying. You have to be logged into GFWL to save your game. It's a screwy system, but it's why I try to avoid games with GFWL. AA was just an amazing game that I couldn't pass it up, GFWL or not.

Venimous
11-23-2011, 12:02 AM

Same answer as before still applies, my issues are only 2 months old at most, plus other issues people have mentioned has reminded me that those happen aswell (most notably getting to 99% on an update then pausing up)

Why is it when people give an answer they don't want to hear they feel they have to try to change the parameters of the question? 'current state' or not is irrelevant, that those issues occured at all is going to affect how a person views the program.

Strike_You
11-23-2011, 12:04 AM
I was just wondering, that's all.

Strike_You
11-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Interesting though, thanks for your responses!

Strike_You
11-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Same answer as before still applies, my issues are only 2 months old at most, plus other issues people have mentioned has reminded me that those happen aswell (most notably getting to 99% on an update then pausing up)

Why is it when people give an answer they don't want to hear they feel they have to try to change the parameters of the question? 'current state' or not is irrelevant, that those issues occured at all is going to affect how a person views the program.

They don't. You are just reading waaaay to much into the question, make sense?

bes
11-23-2011, 02:49 AM

I have had nothing but crashes related to GFWL and Batman: AC ...its starting to annoy me highly..

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 11/23/2011 2:08:03 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: BES-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: GFWLClient.exe, version: 3.5.50.0, time stamp: 0x4d93c2a6
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0095ae38
Faulting process id: 0xc24
Faulting application start time: 0x01cca9bf55d02ab9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE\Client\GFWLClient.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: a55513d2-15b2-11e1-8353-1c6f65cd22ff
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-23T09:08:03.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>6579</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>BES-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>GFWLClient.exe</Data>
<Data>3.5.50.0</Data>
<Data>4d93c2a6</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>00000000</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>0095ae38</Data>
<Data>c24</Data>
<Data>01cca9bf55d02ab9</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE\Client\GFWLClient.exe</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>a55513d2-15b2-11e1-8353-1c6f65cd22ff</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Phreeflo
11-23-2011, 07:10 AM
I love when you build a new PC and lose all your savegames for GFWL games because they've decided to encrypt them to your original PC and they won't work on the new PC, even with the right account info.

WHen I asked MS support about this, they claim it's to protect the integrity of the XBoxLive achievement system!

Lol thanks for rendering months of savegames useless just in case I was trying to cheat for some meaningless achievement on my "gamertag"

Idiots at MS, lol.

LaptopNut
11-23-2011, 07:32 AM
I love GFWL!

Having to wait 3-4 minutes to log in only to be given a "no network connection" error is simply fantastic!

My other programs that connect perfectly must be lying!

I also appreciate that after activating Arkham City on Steam with a success message, GFWL also asks for a code again, good stuff.

The thing I love the most is that when there is an update, it is not only slow to download, it usually freezes just before it has finished. I don't see the big deal with GFWL and the complaints are getting out of hand.

Shock120
11-23-2011, 07:54 AM
I hate that purchasing the GFWL games on STEAM require you to enter they keys on the GFWL interface. :mad:

sethius777
11-23-2011, 08:11 AM
I wish someone would make an xliveless version for arkham city.

Phreeflo
11-23-2011, 08:15 AM
I wish someone with just cancel this travesty of Xbox live. Sadly it's probably going to be included natively like IE in the next version of windows.

Aren't you excited!

Necrosis
11-23-2011, 08:31 AM
I love when you build a new PC and lose all your savegames for GFWL games because they've decided to encrypt them to your original PC and they won't work on the new PC, even with the right account info.

WHen I asked MS support about this, they claim it's to protect the integrity of the XBoxLive achievement system!

Lol thanks for rendering months of savegames useless just in case I was trying to cheat for some meaningless achievement on my "gamertag"

Idiots at MS, lol.This is the biggest sack of ♥♥♥♥ right here. I have a custom made VB script that backs up saved games on my computer. Compressing and dumping them in my Drop Box folder so I don't loose them. Been doing variants of this for years dating back to Quake II (was sick of loosing my cfg files on reinstall). Not to mention I install my OS to a separate partition for my games to help prevent this as well.

1) Broken GfWL DLC installers. Specifically Fallout 3. If the game was not installed to C:\ the DLC failed to install properly.

2) What is stated above. When the saves are locked to a system and reinstalling breaks this. It is just as god damned stupid when they do this bull♥♥♥♥ on consoles. "Protecting achievements/trophy's!" ♥♥♥♥ off.

Shock120
11-23-2011, 08:42 AM
I prefer Steam cloud to host the gamesaves, shame it was not used on this game :(

dyamiten222
11-23-2011, 08:48 AM
I prefer Steam cloud to host the gamesaves, shame it was not used on this game :(

Steam Cloud is included But ONLY ON THE STEAM VERSION.

FuuKuy
11-23-2011, 09:02 AM

It is used. At least STEAM Cloud is implemented on STEAM version.

yogibbear
11-23-2011, 09:09 AM
We had a discussion in class tonight about GFWL, most of the class said they hated it, the INTERESTING part came when asked why... most had never even used it but "Heard it was bad" and the few of us that had used it had issues that were patched long ago.

My issue is not with GFWL but with the game deciding to have multiple apps that need to be running while playing the game.. it's DRM overkill and I doubt anyone can argue that.

BUT

-It stores saves in weird places that are easy to forget about when migrating to another PC.
-It slows down getting into the game as I have to log into GfWL, the interface is clunky and slow and the mouse-overs do not align correctly with my mouse pointer.
-It has corrupted my saves in previous games (FO3, Dead Rising 2, Dirt 3)
-If there is a new patch available, I have to be wanting to play that game before it tells me about it and then I'm practically locked out of my PC... so say I wanted to play a game for 30 mins and there's this new 1GB patch out, I won't know about it till I login to GfWL after loading the game up through steam at which point it will lock me out of the game and start downloading the patch.

Nor
11-23-2011, 09:22 AM
LOL at some people here trying to be all reasonable with the utter disaster of what GFWL is, i don't think evidence is required to say that 90% of pc gamers hate GFWL lol i would even think is much more XD.

goddam Steamworks + GFWL + SecuROM...meh im now pondering myself into getting the ps3 version :/

avioni
11-23-2011, 10:35 AM
i had no issue with gfwl even when many where saying it was so horrible i couldnt find a reason to not like it. until it slapped me in the face and i couldnt play my game cause it tryd to update a game and always failed. when you try to play your game and it forces you to google for hours and do multiple trial and errors and you still cannot solve the problem you start to hate the program.

safesinger
11-23-2011, 10:46 AM
GFWL isn't all that bad. It's never caused me any headaches so if it's there I don't mind.
I've never had issues with updates or anything if it says updtae required I always said okay it shutdown game updated GFWL and games came back on no issue.

#DEADC0DE
11-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Warner Bros (the company that owns Rocksteady)

lol, Warner Bros. don't own Rocksteady. They're just the publisher. The only thing they own is the brand "Batman: Arkham City" and the right to publish it.

Kleetus
11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
no need to prove it

When you use exact figures like "90%" and post opinion as fact, there is every need to prove it.

You can't prove it because it's rubbish.

Next time, don't post things based on your ignorance and opinion.

worse of all, you have to be ONLINE ON GFWL to be able to save?

You don't have to be ONLINE to save.

People like you who can't work out something this basic should give up computers and take up consoles.

And you even have the audacity to complain when you obviously have no idea.....

cmoyano
11-23-2011, 02:30 PM
When you use exact figures like "90%" and post opinion as fact, there is every need to prove it.

You can't prove it because it's rubbish.

Next time, don't post things based on your ignorance and opinion.

You don't have to be ONLINE to save.

People like you who can't work out something this basic should give up computers and take up consoles.

And you even have the audacity to complain when you obviously have no idea.....

you still trying man? you just cant accept how you are the only one on this thread taht defends this POS system. You cant prove it otherwise, so your argument is rubbish by your logic. If you cant disprove my FACT, then dont try to rebuttal with your own made up fallacy. 90 percent is being nice. Ask anyone here, or maybe you are just too scared to hear the truth, that steam is beyong gfwl in EVERY SINGLE WAY...

Strike_You
11-23-2011, 02:35 PM
lol I thought the part where you have to be online with GFWL to save was kinda fishy, but this is what I was getting at, false information like that, that two users are quoting to be truth.

When I played AC I was offline and could save just fine... Was not going to be the first to say it though.. tooo many unhappy gamers in here

Strike_You
11-23-2011, 02:52 PM
you still trying man? you just cant accept how you are the only one on this thread taht defends this POS system. You cant prove it otherwise, so your argument is rubbish by your logic. If you cant disprove my FACT, then dont try to rebuttal with your own made up fallacy. 90 percent is being nice. Ask anyone here, or maybe you are just too scared to hear the truth, that steam is beyong gfwl in EVERY SINGLE WAY...

Not choosing a side but when you state fact like that you should be able to back it up so he is kinda right...

beenyweenies
11-23-2011, 02:57 PM
For those questioning why GFWL is so bad, here's my experience with this game (Arkham City) so far. Not saying it's the norm, but it is my experience:

- Fired up the game via Steam, expecting to jump into some game play right away

- GFWL pops up demanding I create an account

- I spend a few minutes filling out all the fields, press Next, and get an error message with no useful information

- I try again and again, for probably 20 minutes, to get it to accept my info. Tried different passwords etc. nothing worked. Each time it errors, I have to re-enter ALL my info again. Nice touch, Microsoft.

- half the time I would press Next, it would complain that I didn't enter the Captcha correctly. Their Captcha implementation is utterly F'd, and can be nearly impossible to see much less differentiate between upper/lower case letters

- Finally tried 3 different browsers to set up a profile, every time failing. After about an hour, it finally worked (nothing changed on my end, they just SUCK)

- Go to FINALLY fire up the game. Oh, wait, it wants the CD Key. Too bad I have to quit out of the game and go back into Steam to dig that up.

- Enter the CD Key, everything should be good now! NOPE. GFWL has an update. Installs, then forces me to quit the game and restart.

- Should FINALLY BE F*&KING GOOD NOW, RIGHT?!?! Nope. GFWL has ANOTHER update. Install, forces me to quit and restart.

BY this point, I've spent well over an hour dicking around with this stupidity and it's killed my desire to even play this game, especially given all the reported crashes, bugs and DX11 problems - the last thing I need is more aggravation just trying to play this thing when I've got Skyrim waiting for me. If I had purchased it (game coupon came with my video card like 2 months ago) I'd be returning it in protest, no question.

Why any game company would risk their reputation by letting MS get between them and their customers is completely beyond me. They go out of their way to destroy the user experience wherever possible.

safesinger
11-23-2011, 03:09 PM
I have been playing since release date no crashes. Be sure to update your drivers to latest Video,Sound & mainboard drivers."Always install DirectX that's included on disc or in game"

If you do not have a xboxlive acct simply open a new account using your PC's browser instead of tyring to play with the in game GFWL it's really meant for logging in not for setting up new accts.

Once your setup in GFWL then login it should ask for an update once complete it will restart your game and if you selected save login and launch on startup it will fire up in the background when game starts.

Seriously I have been using GFWL since Halo 2 PC release and have had 0 issues.
I'm not saying people don't have the issues they complain about but find things much smoother when all drivers are up to date and I make new accounts using my browser.

Strike_You
11-23-2011, 03:22 PM
id like a option to hide the overlay and awards from popping up. I would also really love to never be prompted to verify I want to quit the game when I try to close it.

yeah...seems to be a method of DRM...you cant save your game without signing into GFWL in the game after having logged into it when you launched the game. dont feel bad for not comprehending that, its supposed to be incomprehensible.

seriously, what does any of this accomplish when the pirate scene gets all these drm features stripped off often before the game is even available for purchase. the game company jaratees money away licensing software that in the end only inconveniences their paying customers. but I digress, have had this debate far too many times.

Now that someone else has said it I'll say it too lol you DON'T have to be online to save with GFWL.. so what you said and the other guy said is false... and false information is not really helping anything in this whole thread XD

And yes a method of DRM.. like buying a steam game, downloading it on steam and having to link it to your account. On thta note, if you already have gfwl installed and logged in (like having steam running before launching a game) you don't even have to sign in after launching BMAC (after linking your key to the gfwl account that is) it auto logs you in (at least it did for me)

I do agree 100% with your first part though, I feel this is more of an issue with a game using steam and gfwl though which would be true with Batman AC

cmoyano
11-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Not choosing a side but when you state fact like that you should be able to back it up so he is kinda right...

and when re wants to rebutt the fact with his own made up bull♥♥♥♥, he should back it up as well...logic works both ways, not just one. There is no need to prove to steam users that gfwl is the lesser factor here by a huge margin. All i need is this thread to show you that most people disagree with gfwl, jump on to the rocksteady forums, see how many hate threads are there, go on google and search gfwl and see what the first thing is that comes up...besides the website, its all GFWL SUCKS. Gamerscore alone doesnt make gfwl better.

Strike_You
11-23-2011, 03:42 PM
and when re wants to rebutt the fact with his own made up bull♥♥♥♥, he should back it up as well...logic works both ways, not just one. There is no need to prove to steam users that gfwl is the lesser factor here by a huge margin. All i need is this thread to show you that most people disagree with gfwl, jump on to the rocksteady forums, see how many hate threads are there, go on google and search gfwl and see what the first thing is that comes up...besides the website, its all GFWL SUCKS. Gamerscore alone doesnt make gfwl better.

He was not the person who stated this in the first place, he was asking for fact on a statement YOU made in the first place. Kind of like when you write a paper and have to cite a source of a fact in a the paper you write.. you can't just state a fact, and tell your teacher it's fact unless you can prove me wrong...

Strike_You
11-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Anyways I hope they patch out GFWL for the simple fact that I had to register a key with steam after getting my video card, then I had to register with securom telling me I had 4 acti's left, then I had to enter in a code with GFWL.. overkill DRM is overkill.

I have not had an issue after these facts with securom, steam, or GFWL as far as the programs go.

Solid Sawyer
11-23-2011, 04:58 PM
I entered my code for Securom and then I skipped entering my code for GFWL and didn't notice any problems. It was saving fine and I was logged into GFWL and earning achievements and everything. Am I missing something?

Strike_You
11-23-2011, 05:40 PM
I entered my code for Securom and then I skipped entering my code for GFWL and didn't notice any problems. It was saving fine and I was logged into GFWL and earning achievements and everything. Am I missing something?

Interesting, I had to enter my code to link it with GFWL

Sounds like you don't even need to use GFWL to run the game! :)

Solid Sawyer
11-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Well what I did was when it popped up the window with a field to enter your code I went up to the GFWL bar along the top edge of the screen and just closed it. That closed the code window as well and then the game proceeded to start up and was fine.

Strike_You
11-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Well what I did was when it popped up the window with a field to enter your code I went up to the GFWL bar along the top edge of the screen and just closed it. That closed the code window as well and then the game proceeded to start up and was fine.

Good news for those that don't want to use gfwl :)

BuckarooBanzai
11-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Now that someone else has said it I'll say it too lol you DON'T have to be online to save with GFWL.. so what you said and the other guy said is false... and false information is not really helping anything in this whole thread XD

It actually tells you if you close it without signing in you wont be able to save your progress, same in Bioshock 2 and Red Faction Guerrilla. So if its false information take it up with Microsoft? Also in the future before handing out lectures and condemnations take a second to check your damned self first? LOL.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614969358026754187/4C6DAA9ADD2B21626371915EE1345676DE128755/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614969358026753464/0F1DBE254C6C225367781FA5CA85310C3B534905/

{Yotsuba}
11-24-2011, 12:30 AM
It actually tells you if you close it without signing in you wont be able to save your progress

Are you sure that's not just about signing into a GFWL account, regardless of whether that account is an online one or an offline one? Ultimately, if you don't want to use the online features, all you need do is create an offline account.

If you want to use online features and live in an unsupported region, you just need to select a supported region when creating a new GFWL account.

Personally, I've had a far better experience with GFWL than I have with Steamworks. At least GFWL hasn't locked me out of a game I purchased for several months. Steamworks, on the other hand, locked me out of Mafia 2 for almost 8 months and FEAR 3 for 4 months. And as you mentioned REd Faction Guerrilla, I was able to play my non-Steam purchased version on the day of its so-called international release, while those who purchased the Steam version couldn't play it until 3 months later.

In other words, people are going to like the DRM method that treats them best. If you've personally had bad experiences with GFWL, of course you're not going to want it anywhere near your games, but the same is true of Steamworks for those who have had no end of trouble as a result of its inclusion.

The problem is, GFWL like all non-STEAM DRM suffers from sheeple syndrome. That is, those who see others complaining about it, regardless of whether they have a legitimate complaint or not, decide it's cool to jump on the same bandwagon -- as most famously seen with the Spore Amazon 1 star review fiasco.

And this being the Steam forums, it's a given that the majority posting here are going to be heavily opposed to anything bar Steam.

Solid Sawyer
11-24-2011, 02:55 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned but I installed the Securom diagnostic tool and there's an option in it to revoke the Securom activation for Arkham City. There's also a revoke option for Arkham Asylum GOTY.

cmoyano
11-24-2011, 02:57 AM
It actually tells you if you close it without signing in you wont be able to save your progress

Are you sure that's not just about signing into a GFWL account, regardless of whether that account is an online one or an offline one? Ultimately, if you don't want to use the online features, all you need do is create an offline account.

If you want to use online features and live in an unsupported region, you just need to select a supported region when creating a new GFWL account.

Personally, I've had a far better experience with GFWL than I have with Steamworks. At least GFWL hasn't locked me out of a game I purchased for several months. Steamworks, on the other hand, locked me out of Mafia 2 for almost 8 months and FEAR 3 for 4 months. And as you mentioned REd Faction Guerrilla, I was able to play my non-Steam purchased version on the day of its so-called international release, while those who purchased the Steam version couldn't play it until 3 months later.

In other words, people are going to like the DRM method that treats them best. If you've personally had bad experiences with GFWL, of course you're not going to want it anywhere near your games, but the same is true of Steamworks for those who have had no end of trouble as a result of its inclusion.

The problem is, GFWL like all non-STEAM DRM suffers from sheeple syndrome. That is, those who see others complaining about it, regardless of whether they have a legitimate complaint or not, decide it's cool to jump on the same bandwagon -- as most famously seen with the Spore Amazon 1 star review fiasco.

And this being the Steam forums, it's a given that the majority posting here are going to be heavily opposed to anything bar Steam.

did you get banned from steam or something? why wouldn't you be able to play the games? ive gotten screwed by MS and lost my games like SSF4 due to an error in their system where they banned me by mistake thus i lost all my access to ssf4 and i had to re buy the game.

Solid Sawyer
11-24-2011, 03:02 AM
ive gotten screwed by MS and lost my games like SSF4 due to an error in their system where they banned me by mistake thus i lost all my access to ssf4 and i had to re buy the game.
That sucks, did you try to get them to fix it before you resorted to buying it twice?

daf
11-24-2011, 03:31 AM
In my experience and what I've observed in my social circles (so assume a implied bias) is that the only people who desire gfwl are also xbox 360 owners who wish to increase their gamerscore by obtaining achievements on their gfwl PC titles.

I personally don't like it for many reasions, namely:

the UI is primitive from a PC centric view, text messaging is an after thought being more like some sort of mini-email then a proper IM system, and it was obviously designed with controller navigation in mind, a potential plus if you're actually using a controller with the game but it falls apart when you use a keyboard and mouse with it.
It's poorly made as I after changing my windows live password sadly wasted over 10m trying to input it on gfwl without having any keypress registered, after much testing I finally figured out that you must deselect "remember password" before the textbox actually registers input. The patching system also comes to mind as shoddy with it's must-download-every-patch-one-by-one system.
Binds the saves to the hardware, I've always kept my saves with me, but on gfwl I simply can't since they wont work on any future PC I own, all in the name of safeguarding them from gamescore cheating, if only there was a choice to simply lock your gamerscore at 0 in exchange for not of this save encryption madness...
Adding yet more always-running crap to my system, this is a pet peeve of mine but I don't like the fact that gfwl adds/needs Windows Live assistant service to function and that it needs to be always running, not to mention how gfwl will make the game crash without any error if for some reason the service isn't running.

Faced with steamworks and gfwl the only feature gfwl has over steam is xbox integration which is really only of interest to xbox gamers, otherwise steamworks is clearly superior, as such I think it's only logical that PC gamers would only want the best in their games.

Hopefully when I get around to buying this game 2 of the 3 drm will be removed, securom followed by gfwl. A gamer can dare to dream after all...

Strike_You
11-24-2011, 03:50 AM
It actually tells you if you close it without signing in you wont be able to save your progress, same in Bioshock 2 and Red Faction Guerrilla. So if its false information take it up with Microsoft? Also in the future before handing out lectures and condemnations take a second to check your damned self first? LOL.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614969358026754187/4C6DAA9ADD2B21626371915EE1345676DE128755/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614969358026753464/0F1DBE254C6C225367781FA5CA85310C3B534905/

Well I was able to, as was the other guy.....

I am not handing out lectures or condemnations, just saying what you guys said is false as I can do it, in fact I just did it to make sure. Go try for yourself!

But ya nice use of "Damned" and "LOL" (lol)

Hint:
**It will search for a network connection, if none can be found it will log you in offline and you can save your game. (So yes, what you said was false)

Now before telling me that "sucks" having to log into GFWL (online or offline) think about this, You have to log into steam, online or offline for many games to even start. Skyrim comes to mind after the other days patch to the games .exe

YES it is a bummer to have to do both with AC but as the guy stated above, he bypassed GFWL and it worked out just fine for him

{Yotsuba}
11-24-2011, 05:36 AM
did you get banned from steam or something? why wouldn't you be able to play the games?

No. I and everyone else in my region, couldn't play them because no one would unlock them on Steam (publishers blamed Valve, Valve blamed publishers). There is a running trend in my region for games to be offered on sale here only to either be removed prior to release, have release dates changed at the very last minute, or to simply be left in a pre-load state for months on end.

The problem only affects Steam. All other stores have always honored the original release date advertised. The problem is, when these games use Steamworks DRM, they still have to be unlocked on Steam. Which is why we can often end up being sold games either as pre-orders on Steam or as released products by Steam's competitors, etc., that remain unplayable for months.

And often, as keys get added to Steam without problems (i.e., there's no region lock on activation) it's also impossible to get refunds. The two most well known such games are Mafia 2 with the 8 month wait (which ultimately resulted in a personal apology from 2K and swag as compensation) and FEAR 3, which was left IP blocked for EVERYONE who connected to Steam in this region (even if you'd been happily playing it in your region beforehand) for four months, two of those after it's local PC release date. Simple point is, no other DRM has ever locked us out of games in that manner for that extent of time.

I used to really like Steam. Back in 2004/5 it was my goto place. I wouldn't have dreamed of purchasing anywhere else, but it's been going down hill faster and faster, ever since. Now I have to think very long and very hard before making any purchase on Steam.

The only reason I'm considering buying Arkham City here is due to the likelihood of the DLC being sold directly on Steam, which is simply more convenient than buying points for GFWL and the fact that GFWL (here at least) doesn't accept payments from Paypal.

ive gotten screwed by MS and lost my games like SSF4 due to an error in their system where they banned me by mistake thus i lost all my access to ssf4 and i had to re buy the game.

And I can understand why you wouldn't like GFWL as a result.

cmoyano
11-24-2011, 05:42 AM
That sucks, did you try to get them to fix it before you resorted to buying it twice?

yes, once microsoft bans you, weather its accidnt or not, they cant unban you, at least thats what the rep told me over the phone and the proceeded to hang up on me.

Firestorm998
11-24-2011, 05:56 AM
and worse of all, you have to be ONLINE ON GFWL to be able to save? gtfo
Create an offline profile.

k177sh0t
11-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Create an offline profile.

And then you'll loose your save files once you try going online?

Doctor_Hades
11-24-2011, 06:50 AM
so what is wrong with GFWL?

Where do I start?

1. Games for Windows Live (GfWL) games require all patches to be certified by Microsoft adding time to their release. It's one of the reasons why there are fewer GfWL games now as publishers don't like it for that reason. For example, Red Faction Armageddon, Warhammer 40K: Retribution and Fallout: New Vegas are all sequels to previously GfWL-enabled games.

2. Backing up your saves is a pain as the files are encrypted and require you to not only backup the usual stuff in the My Documents folder but also the XLive folder in the hidden AppData/Microsoft folder. Fail to do that and you won't be able to use your saves!

3. There's a higher risk of corrupted saves with GfWL titles. Now corrupted saves are something I've never experienced in ANY PC games in the 14 years I've been playing them until I lost ten hours of my career on Virtua Tennis 4, a game I've never returned to. Sure, that's so far the only GfWL game that has happened with (and, ironically, it's the only GfWL game I own on Steam so make of that what you will) but it only has to happen once for it to be annoying. In VT4's case, I'd even backed up my saves but they didn't work either!

Those are my main grievances with it but I do have lots of other minor ones that all contribute towards my dislike of GfWL. I certainly won't be sorry to see it go (and it will go, mark my words, as few games use it even now). I think only Microsoft (obviously), Warner's and Codemasters use it. EA, Ubisoft and Activision, the three largest publishers, don't go near it.

Rad-86
11-24-2011, 06:54 AM
lost saves in dirt2 after finishing the singleplayer and being lvl 35 in mp...i was missing like 3 achievements... never returned to it

Firestorm998
11-24-2011, 08:24 AM
No, I have my XBL/GFWL online profile and an offline one and they are seperate.
True, it's not ideal with essentially 2 seperate games and for certain multi-player games where there may be SP unlockables, an online profile for the SP would be needed. But for SP-only at least, offline profiles work ok.

The biggest issue for me is backing up saves, Not all the GFWL titles save in the same place and if you have a few different ones with online and offline profiles, it's a bit of a headache to sort out.
Oh, and I feel for those who suffer from it's regional restrictions.

Kleetus
11-24-2011, 09:46 AM
you still trying man? you just cant accept how you are the only one on this thread taht defends this POS system.

Where exactly am I defending it?

I'm taking exeception at some of your comments and opinions based on ignorance.

You don't have to be online to save with Games for Windows LIVE, and you don't know the exact percentage of what gamers prefer.

Stop trying to side-track and deflect, it's not going to work.

I still can't believe someone would post complaining of having to be online to save.

Are you new to gaming, or just not very good with PCs?

BuckarooBanzai
11-24-2011, 11:04 AM
But ya nice use of "Damned" and "LOL" (lol)

just following your lead

Now that someone else has said it I'll say it too lol you DON'T have to be online to save with GFWL..

cmoyano
11-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Where exactly am I defending it?

I'm taking exeception at some of your comments and opinions based on ignorance.

You don't have to be online to save with Games for Windows LIVE, and you don't know the exact percentage of what gamers prefer.

Stop trying to side-track and deflect, it's not going to work.

I still can't believe someone would post complaining of having to be online to save.

Are you new to gaming, or just not very good with PCs?

good luck getting that save back after a reformat of your HDD. Cool beans son, keep trying. Steamworks, F.T.W. u mad bro? oh and btw, my pc makes your console cry, oh whats that? you have a pc? with an 8800 gt 512 most likely BHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAH...no, but on a serious note, keep trying, it amuses me to fight with GFWL ignorant fans.

Reviz
11-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I have no issues at all with GFWL. Works great.

Solid Sawyer
11-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Like I said before, I did sign into GFWL but declined to activate the product with them and it was saving just fine. It sounds like people in this thread are saying you have to activate it to save.

ShadowolfIncubi
11-24-2011, 01:53 PM
I never minded GFWL before in previous games, but this is ridiculous on top of the stuttering, freezing, and crashing. When the game "Searches for Downloadable Content" after the title screen, I'm guessing it's doing so from GFWL.... at that point, the game sometimes crashes then. And will continue doing so until I completely restart my computer, to which it might do it again... then I have to restart again. This is frequent too...like half the time I load up the game, I have to kinda keep praying that I can play this stuttering game.

Solid Sawyer
11-24-2011, 02:50 PM
My only complaint about GFWL is with the legacy version that limited your number of game installs. I'm assuming Arkham City uses SSA with no limits, anyone know?

tkioz
11-24-2011, 03:36 PM
GFWL can DIAF. It took me a freaking hour to get my game working. The whole point of buying off Steam is a one click install experience, stuffing around with CD-Keys, Windows Live Accounts, etc. patching the stupid program (GFWL, not Batman), making me restart the game 5 FREAKING TIMES...

Gah...

So very very stupid.

Alienware Gamer
11-24-2011, 03:42 PM
My only complaint about GFWL is with the legacy version that limited your number of game installs. I'm assuming Arkham City uses SSA with no limits, anyone know? Yep it uses SSA with no limits but you still have the limit from Securom on ALL PC versions. The old non SSA system on GFWL had a 15 limit before you had to ask GFWL support to give you more which they still do as long as you can proof you bought the game new they will give you additional activations.

Solid Sawyer
11-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Yep it uses SSA with no limits but you still have the limit from Securom on ALL PC versions. The old non SSA system on GFWL had a 15 limit before you had to ask GFWL support to give you more which they still do as long as you can proof you bought the game new they will give you additional activations.
I've read that they will only give you more activations once, do you know any different? I can live with the Securom, it sucks but at least it's revokable. I said earlier in the thread that I installed Securom diagnostic tool and it gave me an option to revoke Arkham City and Asylum GOTY.

Kleetus
11-24-2011, 04:12 PM
you have to be ONLINE ON GFWL to be able to save

Why don't you just give up PCs?

You're obviously a noob and it's all too hard for you.

TucoBendicto
11-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Yeah, GFWL is a plague.

LaptopNut
11-24-2011, 06:32 PM
I have just found another reason why I love GFWL, my save has vanished! Good stuff, now I can start again and enjoy it even more, love you MS....

LaptopNut
11-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Yes that happened to me in another game.

Ducon
11-24-2011, 07:44 PM
good luck getting that save back after a reformat of your HDD. Cool beans son, keep trying. Steamworks, F.T.W. u mad bro? oh and btw, my pc makes your console cry, oh whats that? you have a pc? with an 8800 gt 512 most likely BHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAH...no, but on a serious note, keep trying, it amuses me to fight with GFWL ignorant fans.

You do realise this was the point you lost the game?

cmoyano
11-24-2011, 07:57 PM
You do realise this was the point you lost the game?

haha no, i just came here to say, that after a steam revalidation of my game, I HAVE LOST ALL SAVES ON GFWL...It is empty now...good job gfwl F-A-N-B-O-Y-S. You do need ot be online to play a saved game.

Kleetus
11-25-2011, 02:59 PM
You do need ot be online to play a saved game.

Wrong, again.

First you say you have to be online to save with GFWL, and now you have to be online to play a save game.

Unbelievable.

Why don't you just give up PCs, it's obvious you just have no idea?

DeathNSmalDoses
11-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Personnel Experience

I'm probably one of the people lucky enough to not have any problems with GFWL :) (nothing which haunts me knowing its in batman..)

It's definitely not everybody cup of tea, but its exactly the same with steam (Remember the hate wagon when Steam was first launched.)

let's jsut leave it alone gfwl is incorporated and was probably in there before steam works (look at its predecessor.)

What people need to remember there are loads of other ways to purchase this game steam is only 1, and them users will need a way to purchase the DLC/get patches.

GFWL is a cheap way for developers as it means they don't require to use any dedicated servers for the updates, give it to Microsoft and let them host the files.

In the end it was "our" choice to purchase the steam version knowing it will include both, we could of purchased the game separately and only have to suffer with 1 DRM (GFWL)

cmoyano
11-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Wrong, again.

First you say you have to be online to save with GFWL, and now you have to be online to play a save game.

Unbelievable.

Why don't you just give up PCs, it's obvious you just have no idea?

how bout you tell that to MS? since you know, i lost my save as soon as i revalidated my files, oh and guess what? i kept my saved file, cause i reformatted my HDD jus tnow, and guess what? save file dont work...awww, sorry son, offline profile= pirated verison, which is what you did. Say hi to skidrow for me. Now give me your pc specs and lets see who knows more.

Lokust
11-26-2011, 12:09 AM
I hate Steamworks and I hate GFWL. And nobody gives a crap what I think. Cheers.

ENG
11-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Nope, wait for crack like many of us. If you bought the game, you can do whatever you like on any purchase game.

Razor1911 or Skidrow will most likely supplies for us.

In the meanwhile play on a crappy and buggy GFWL + Clients.

Kleetus
11-26-2011, 04:05 PM
how bout you tell that to MS?

How bout (sic) you learn to use PCs and stop blaming software for your lack of skill?

i kept my saved file, cause i reformatted my HDD jus tnow, and guess what? save file dont work

That's your fault.

GFWL saves are encrypted and locked to your account.

For some games, you also have to backup other folders for the save to work.

Just backing up the save usually doesn't work on it's own, as you've just discovered.

EDIT: You have a wealth of information at your finger-tips called the Internet, use it instead of wasting your time and showing off your ignorance on forums.

cmoyano
11-26-2011, 08:19 PM
How bout (sic) you learn to use PCs and stop blaming software for your lack of skill?

That's your fault.

GFWL saves are encrypted and locked to your account.

For some games, you also have to backup other folders for the save to work.

Just backing up the save usually doesn't work on it's own, as you've just discovered.

EDIT: You have a wealth of information at your finger-tips called the Internet, use it instead of wasting your time and showing off your ignorance on forums.

bahahaha..encrypted save files..enough said son. EPIC fail already there. Sorry man, youre just one of the few that loves GFWL caus eyou love your gamerscore to go up with your xbox live score cause you are nothing but a console boy. Keep trying man, now back to getting my steam cheevos while you talk to your buddies on xbox live.

Kleetus
11-27-2011, 08:03 AM
EPIC fail already there.

The EPIC fail is you, you've proven that several times in this thread.

First it was that you have to be online to save.

Then it was you have to be online to play an offline save. :)

Sorry man, youre just one of the few that loves GFWL

Show me, just once, where I said I "love" GFWL?

Pointing out your ignorance doesn't equal "love" or even support for it.

If you're going to blame software, then post factually and not rubbish based on your ignorance.

All that does is make you look like an angry, ignorant noob.

Why do you even bother using PCs, you'd obviously struggle with a calculator?

holodoc
11-27-2011, 11:22 AM
People, GFWL without Steam works fine. Steam + GFWL = always trouble.

cmoyano
11-27-2011, 02:41 PM
The EPIC fail is you, you've proven that several times in this thread.

First it was that you have to be online to save.

Then it was you have to be online to play an offline save. :)

Show me, just once, where I said I "love" GFWL?

Pointing out your ignorance doesn't equal "love" or even support for it.

If you're going to blame software, then post factually and not rubbish based on your ignorance.

All that does is make you look like an angry, ignorant noob.

Why do you even bother using PCs, you'd obviously struggle with a calculator?

keep trying with that dual core man..i know it struggles, but you can do it! that 2 gb ram ddr2 is not enough, come on son, keep trying! that 8800 gt 512, is going to struggle! encrypted save files, bahaha...am still laughing about that and how you defend this POS program. Anyways, back to witcher 2 now so i can get my steam achievements, oh ya, a lot more games use steamworks than gfwl. Back to your xbox

Strike_You
11-28-2011, 02:35 AM
keep trying with that dual core man..i know it struggles, but you can do it! that 2 gb ram ddr2 is not enough, come on son, keep trying! that 8800 gt 512, is going to struggle! encrypted save files, bahaha...am still laughing about that and how you defend this POS program. Anyways, back to witcher 2 now so i can get my steam achievements, oh ya, a lot more games use steamworks than gfwl. Back to your xbox

He is right... you have been proven wrong with facts that you are stating and all you can do to defend yourself is this? I don't think he is saying that GFWL is amazing at all, he is saying that you are providing false information to the discussion at hand.

I wish I could gift you the brain cells I lost reading this.

Kleetus
11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
defend this POS program

Where did I defend it?

What a pathetic attempt at trying to deflect from your ignorance.

You're either 15, not very bright or both if that's your tactic.

Even with a wealth of information at your finger-tips, you couldn't work out how to save or backup. :eek:

Instead, armed with your obvious lack of intelligence and basic PC skills, you post here whining and blaming the software when it was something entirely of your making.

Keep posting, it just bumps this thread so everyone can enjoy the performance at your expense. :)