PDA

View Full Version : You hold space bar then left ctrl to slide...

Ave07
11-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Are you kidding me... wish I had a controller :mad:

Deathbringer660
11-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Rebind it?

Mountain Man
11-22-2011, 08:55 PM

You could always buy a controller. They're not that expensive, and it's worth it because the Arkham games are meant to be played with a controller.

Ave07
11-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah im using a controller now feels much better lol

neuromancer
11-23-2011, 06:12 AM

Pressing 2 buttons at the same time is difficult?

Are you kidding me... wish I had a scotch :mad:

Mountain Man
11-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Depends on where those buttons are located.

Besides, it's not just two buttons, it's three. In order to perform a slide with the keyboard, you have to press W to move forward, SPACE to run, and Left-CTRL to duck and slide. If you normally press W with your left ring finger (which is the natural placement) then you have to have a very dexterous pinky to hit Left-CTRL without shifting your whole hand.

This is much, much easier to pull off with a controller.

Phreeflo
11-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Poeple use the default keybinds in games?

The first thing I've done as soon as I load any game since 1995 is to go to the keybindings and set them up how I like.

(Funny thing is there have been more and more games this year that don't even have keybindings, yay for the "Future" of gaming)

prizim
11-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Don't be a noobie. Rebind your keys like a real gamer.

Default keys are for rookies.

Ricky Nihil
11-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Seriously, this game is a billion times better with a gamepad. I played all through Arkham Asylum with keyboard and mouse, but on the second run used a gamepad and cursed myself for not playing with it the first time. Keyboard and mouse are not superior to a gamepad, they are just different. In a first person shooter, mouse wins, easily. In 99% of third person games, mouse wins. But Batman is different, the combat works flawlessly with a pad, and is always somewhat of a struggle with a mouse. Even if you master mouse and keyboard in these games, you are performing finger movements far in excess of what you need to do with a pad, gain nothing and lose a lot.

Mountain Man
11-23-2011, 09:50 AM
I played all through Arkham Asylum with keyboard and mouse, but on the second run used a gamepad and cursed myself for not playing with it the first time.
Same here. To their credit, Rocksteady did a reasonably good job supporting mouse and keyboard in both AA and AC, but try it with a 360 controller and it becomes immediately obvious that it's how the game was meant to be played.

0xiDIzE
11-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Seriously, this game is a billion times better with a gamepad. I played all through Arkham Asylum with keyboard and mouse, but on the second run used a gamepad and cursed myself for not playing with it the first time. Keyboard and mouse are not superior to a gamepad, they are just different. In a first person shooter, mouse wins, easily. In 99% of third person games, mouse wins. But Batman is different, the combat works flawlessly with a pad, and is always somewhat of a struggle with a mouse. Even if you master mouse and keyboard in these games, you are performing finger movements far in excess of what you need to do with a pad, gain nothing and lose a lot.
Some games are better with a controller. There's no denying this. Can anyone here honestly say they prefer playing fighting/racing games using the keyboard and mouse?

I love my Logitechs just as much as the next guy, but sometimes a controller just feels more natural. Assassin's Creed, Darksiders, etc. Then go right back to keyboard/mouse for Starcraft 2, DoTA, any FPS, Skyrim, etc.

Starfire13
11-23-2011, 10:51 AM
If you normally press W with your left ring finger (which is the natural placement) then you have to have a very dexterous pinky to hit Left-CTRL without shifting your whole hand.

Wow, you use your pinky for W? Not saying you can't, but you are the first person I know of who does that. Everyone else I have seen uses the middle finger for W, ring finger for A, and index finger for D. So, for us, having left ctrl and spacebar as the default keys for sliding works perfectly (as we have our pinky for left ctrl and thumb for spacebar).

zerrok
11-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Poeple use the default keybinds in games?

The first thing I've done as soon as I load any game since 1995 is to go to the keybindings and set them up how I like.

(Funny thing is there have been more and more games this year that don't even have keybindings, yay for the "Future" of gaming)

First thing I do in a game is play it and figure the keys out and get use to it.

I never once picked up a controller or played a game and stopped playing because I didn't like how buttons were placed, I played and got use to them just like most people do.

The only thing I've ever rebinded recently was Skyrims Alt to sprint and Shift to walk simply because it's completely opposite to almost every other game I play and why not?

#DEADC0DE
11-23-2011, 11:03 AM
If you normally press W with your left ring finger (which is the natural placement) then you have to have a very dexterous pinky to hit Left-CTRL without shifting your whole hand.

This is much, much easier to pull off with a controller.

Natural placement? What idiot uses his ring finger for W? lol.. How are you even gonna press A then?

Besides, if pressing W, Space and Control is hard for you, you don't know how to use a keyboard.

You use the middle finger for W, your thumb for space, and the inner section of your little finger for control.

pwet
11-23-2011, 11:08 AM
does it support ps3 controller ?

josephmingle
11-23-2011, 11:30 AM
I tried the Xbox 360 controller, but just didn't care for it. It's going back to Best Buy. I find the camera controls too contrived - moving the digital stick around vice just pointing my mouse.

The controller just feels... well foreign. Works well on the WII but I just can't get there on the PC.

Microshocky
11-23-2011, 11:43 AM
does it support ps3 controller ?

Get MotioninJoy drivers, select the Xbox 360 controller option. Then get Xpadder. It should just automatically map keys to the similar keys on the 360 controller so games like this where it wants an Xbox controller, it'll think youre using one.

pwet
11-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Get MotioninJoy drivers, select the Xbox 360 controller option. Then get Xpadder. It should just automatically map keys to the similar keys on the 360 controller so games like this where it wants an Xbox controller, it'll think youre using one.

Thanks ! But I tried that with GTA IV, never managed to get it right... :/

Nose Nuggets
11-23-2011, 11:53 AM
you have never jumped and crouched in an FPS?

are you people for real?

pwet
11-23-2011, 11:56 AM

are you people for real?

Not everyone plays fps... but i still agree a bit :p

flarp
11-23-2011, 12:09 PM
i played AA with a controller, and am playing AC with a controller too.

games like this tend to be better with a controller anyway

Son, I am derp
11-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Someone has never played a Source engine game. I crouch jump so frequently in CS and TF2 that ctrl+space is second nature to me.

Whatever. The people on this forum are just conjuring up all manner of pointless troll complaints for this game. The fact of the matter is that it runs FINE (in DX9) and plays FINE once you spend 10 minutes getting used to the deluge of controls bound to the keyboard. I played it on the console as well, and it took me equally long to get used to all of the double-bound buttons and all the combination presses required to maximize your gameplay.

#DEADC0DE
11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
games like this tend to be better with a controller anyway

Only for people who doesn't know how to operate a keyboard and mouse.

Mountain Man
11-23-2011, 12:58 PM
What idiot uses his ring finger for W?
Anybody who knows how to type on a QWERTY keyboard, that's who, moron. If your fingers are on the home row where they should be then W is naturally pressed with your left hand ring finger.

I've been typing a lot longer than I've been playing games with a keyboard, so keeping my fingers on the home row is a lot easier for me then shifting my hand and screwing with a few decades of muscle memory.

Besides, game plays great with a controller.

Mountain Man
11-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Crouch toggle for the win. ;)

#DEADC0DE
11-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Anybody who knows how to type on a QWERTY keyboard, that's who, moron. If your fingers are on the home row where they should be then W is naturally pressed with your left hand ring finger.

You must have some real deformed fingers.

Mountain Man
11-23-2011, 01:27 PM
You must have some real deformed fingers.

Do you even know which one is the ring finger? It's the one next to the pinky, nimrod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_finger

JimV
11-23-2011, 01:29 PM

I play on both the PC and 360, and am a proud member of the PC Master Race, but you are seriously limiting yourself by sticking with KB/Mouse in a game built to use a controller.

When I bought AA on Steam, I tried KB/Mouse and it was just ridiculous - Shift + RMB for a takedown? Yea, you can get used to it, but holding RT and hitting Y on a 360 controller is much more user friendly.

I went from 40+ combos to 80+ switching to a 360 controller. Being able to double click the Left Trigger for a quick batarang to keep a combo going is priceless compared to having to 'type' the command.

Mountain Man
11-23-2011, 01:34 PM
The biggest hassle I had with AA on the mouse is that gadgets and counter are both mapped to the right mouse button, and if you held the button just a hair too long during a brawl, you'd equip a gadget instead of countering and leave yourself open.

#DEADC0DE
11-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Do you even know which one is the ring finger? It's the one next to the pinky, nimrod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_finger

Exactly, you idiot.

Mountain Man
11-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Exactly, you idiot.

I can't tell if you're genuinely confused or just trolling.

flarp
11-24-2011, 04:29 PM

ah an elitist, awesome.

I played arkham asylum without a keyboard too, and it was very functional. My 2nd and 3rd play-throughs were done using a controller, and i found the experience to be much better.

the only genres i can think of that is almost objectively better with a kb/m (and is what use) are Shooters and RTS'; other games are just as good with a controller.