PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for similar game

wiffleflapper
11-24-2011, 11:33 PM
i love this game. logged a ton of hours playing it. perfect blend of ease and depth and strategy. i keep thinking of playing civ5 but feel like it lacks the same balance this game does.

can anyone recommend a game in this vein that is also very fun? maybe that roller coaster tycoon 3 that's on sale now?

thanks!

wiffleflapper
11-25-2011, 07:25 PM
not one suggestion huh...

i'm checking out sins of a solar empire. not quite the same though.

masta121
12-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Open Transport Tycoon deluxe is nice, and free. Also Railroad Tycoon 2 and 3.

ACESandElGHTS
12-22-2011, 10:27 PM
I would probably suggest Railroad Tycoon 2&3, though they're nowhere near as cool as Sid's game. I was very very impressed with Railroads... there just need to be more like it. Although it starts off slow and then gets so fast and before you know it you have trains stopped all over the map and you're bleeding money from routes you started 30 years ago.

I would like to try Airport Tycoon 2. I keep looking for the game that would be as good as Aerobiz.

Friendliest
02-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Railroad Tycoon 2 and 3.

yeah I was going to say that. RT2 is a little raw at this point; it's old-school 2d graphics, but still a great game. RT3 is kinda the best of both worlds. 3d graphics with the fun, COMPLEX mechanics from the old RT games, not this new excessively dumbed-down "Railroads" BS. Civ IV + Beyond the Sword is also sweet. Colonization also pretty fun.

And in all cases, don't think just because I say they're "complex" that they won't be easy and fun to learn. You can play at low difficulty level with many simplified settings turned on. But at least these games leave you room to GROW into an advanced player, unlike Railroads which I will probably play for 20-30 hours and never play again.

I would probably suggest Railroad Tycoon 2&3, though they're nowhere near as cool as Sid's game.

OMG did u just say that? Those ARE sid's games!!!!!! the real deal ones. "Railroads" is a shadow of its former glory. (It sucks, frankly.) There are so many basic things you can't do -- like bulldoze track -- so your tracks eventually turn into a broken cluster**** as you so aptly pointed out. You can route from station to station at will without having to hit every one on the route. You can tell it to NOT sell stuff at a given station -- try doing THAT with "RRs". Plus so many UI/efficiecy letdowns. Train list view sucks now. The teeny window isn't even large enough to display the ridiculous names it gives your trains, yet it does not allow you to rename them either. etc. etc. etc.

The old games do not have these idiotic problems. Cuz designers and programmers weren't so lazy back then. They worked for a living, and didn't simply have everything handed to them thanks to games that do nothing and look spiffy. :( :( :( it's so sad how far the industry, and standards, have fallen, and now we're reaching the point where so many consumers are just young pups who don't even know any better. sad. decline of western civ, i tell ya.

Soviet_j
02-22-2012, 10:36 PM
OMG did u just say that? Those ARE sid's games!!!!!! the real deal ones. "Railroads" is a shadow of its former glory. (It sucks, frankly.)

in fact those 100% not sids game sthats why theya rent simplistic.

wuushew
03-12-2012, 06:20 PM
RRT2 is awesome, one of the best games I have ever played. Civ 5 is also good but certainly not at full price. I would say vanilla Civ 5 is worth about $12 or less on sale.

I hear good things about Tropico and Sid's Pirate remake. By similar I assume you mean single player strategy genre.

Sepioth
03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
OMG did u just say that? Those ARE sid's games!!!!!! the real deal ones.

Actually your wrong. Railroad Tycoon 1 was a Sid game.

2&3 where not sid games ... Poptop bought the rights to the RR Tycoon games from Gathering of Gamers.

Railroads is a Sid game and is the first RR game he had direct input on since he left Micropose (original developers of the tycoon series before it was sold)

ZanyCynic
04-30-2012, 09:26 AM
There are so many basic things you can't do -- like bulldoze track -- so your tracks eventually turn into a broken cluster****

Select the track and press delete (button DEL) :)
Works like a charm for me.