PDA

View Full Version : No Future Soldier on PC because of pirates

Rossa_AU
11-26-2011, 01:34 AM
There’s a shiny big Ghost Recon game, Future Soldier, coming to consoles. It won’t be coming to PC, though. PC users instead get a free-to-play game called Ghost Recon Online. Why? It’s Ubisoft. Take a guess.

“We are giving away most of the content for free because there’s no barrier to entry”, Ubisoft’s Sébastien Arnoult told PC Gamer. “To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, ‘Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you’re asking for. We’ve listened to you — we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.’”

Right, but why not bring over Future Soldier as well?

“When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said OK, we have to change our mind.”

By not releasing the game at all?

I’d point out the fact Ubisoft may have trouble attracting paying customers because their PC games are ported late and crippled with annoying DRM, and that they, like most other publishers, seems to turn a blind eye to piracy on the Xbox 360, but you know, it’s getting perilously close to “broken record” territory about now.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/11/ghost-recon-game-skipping-pc-because-of-you-guessed-it-piracy/

Maybe if Ubisoft gave up on their stupid DRM, they might see more sales? lol

UPDATE, now coming to PC:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/01/ghost-recon-future-soldier-slides-back-to-may/

IcePOP4wHO
11-26-2011, 11:42 AM
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/11/ghost-recon-game-skipping-pc-because-of-you-guessed-it-piracy/

Maybe if PC players stopped stealing, game developers are more likely to sell to us. I don't get how so many people can morally justify stealing by saying "oh it's got DRM" or "i wasn't going to buy it anyway" or "millions already pirate it, how is one more going to hurt"

Stealing is a crime. It's morally corrupt and illegal. PC games sell maybe 10% on average of console game sales, so there is a great incentive NOT to release on PC. Heck, the sales from PC won't even cover the development and server upholding costs. PC gamers are shooting themselves in the leg and crying foul. It's your own damn fault. Not to mention PC gamers are the biggest whiners in the industry.

I don't pirate and if there is a game i can't afford, i wait for a sale or next paycheck. it's not that hard.

HellAvenger
11-26-2011, 12:35 PM
well people ragin about it is about the Devs litterally called "PC gamers b!tching about it"

Just read the quote, now they are denying it

BlueWaffel
11-26-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't pirate, I just don't buy games with always connected to the internet DRM. sometimes I don't even buy games that had DRM. I don't buy UBISOFT games very often, BECAUSE of the DRM.

lionsunleashed
11-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Oh crap does this mean us pc gamers haved to buy a console which i hate? Tried playing with my kids ps3 hate the controller feels awkward. Too bad was looking forward to future soldier damm it's not totally our fault console people are pirates dont deny that. Yeah i wait to for sales but come on why be punished. Better find a new hobby i guess....lol Also why dont you clean your own house why all these leaks and blame pc gamers its coming from your own employees probally a disgruntal one i bet. I agree too taking something that's not bought is wrong when will this ever end? Even try to play a honest game online good luck cheaters galore.

WaycoolMick
11-26-2011, 04:03 PM
It is a ridiculous argument from Ubisoft as pirates are not in your customer pool. So the amount of paying customer lost due to piracy on your bottom line is very small. Ubisoft's DRM is annoying and could be far less intrusive.

deadby100cuts
11-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Maybe if PC players stopped stealing, game developers are more likely to sell to us. I don't get how so many people can morally justify stealing by saying "oh it's got DRM" or "i wasn't going to buy it anyway" or "millions already pirate it, how is one more going to hurt"

Stealing is a crime. It's morally corrupt and illegal. PC games sell maybe 10% on average of console game sales, so there is a great incentive NOT to release on PC. Heck, the sales from PC won't even cover the development and server upholding costs. PC gamers are shooting themselves in the leg and crying foul. It's your own damn fault. Not to mention PC gamers are the biggest whiners in the industry.

I don't pirate and if there is a game i can't afford, i wait for a sale or next paycheck. it's not that hard.

i agree 100% with your post but i have to put my own two cents in..... pirates are not taking THAT many sales, in fact, people buying used games at gamestop are a bigger problem than pirates on the pc.

AlHudson1
11-26-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't mind while Ghost Recon Online become complete like the console versions.

But if become with worse graphics, cutted gameplay, not SP... then I'm going to get mad.

Muti Messiah
11-27-2011, 08:07 AM
The title should read "No Future Soldier on PC because of laziness from Ubifail"

They Fail like most to look at the sales figures of Digi Distro as well as Retail

They have riddled there games with so many bugs (See Latest Heroes of might & Magic forum for good example) or ported games so poorly its unplayable (See anything they released on PC the past few years)

Then they wonder why no one is buying there PC games... its kinda funny to me really... well I never liked much coming out from them anyways So this is not a huge loss in fact the only reason im in this section is becuase of *Shock Horror* a bug I was looking for a fix (GRAW 1 Comm Command issue). I Wouldn't buy one of there games full price and I have to triple check there titles for that dreaded DRM.

My Personal Opinion: This is NO loss to the PC Community considering its a case of pick between Bug Riddled mess, Poor port that does not work correctly, DRM'd to hell and back or Nothing. I Prefer Nothing

AlHudson1
11-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I made some research:

Ghost Recon: Online

1º Doesn't have SP component
2º Doesn't have most of the gameplay options (eg. Minimap)
3º Worse graphics

So??? There's is not gonna be Rainbow Six for PC too?

Toad213
11-28-2011, 04:31 AM
Damn no SP, it's a free game and they said not all of the features will be there.

And yes by the look of it, there will be probably not rainbow six patriots for PC until they get less piracy and more sales

AlHudson1
11-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Damn no SP, it's a free game and they said not all of the features will be there.

And yes by the look of it, there will be probably not rainbow six patriots for PC until they get less piracy and more sales

I don't play in consoles because I never learned how to use a gamepad (since child I never could)

So maybe is time for me to begin forgetting about video gaming.

Microsoft, Intel and AMD are making a big mistake here.

If no PC games... why I bother then in buying a decent computer while I can buy a cheap chinese android tablet?

But anyways.... gaming industry is changing PC gaming is not worth it for Hollywood AAA like games.

However we have some good games like Amnesia with happy developers.

the1stwasted
11-29-2011, 07:13 AM
I heard a rumor that when the next generation consoles are released the ability to do game trade in is going to be removed, and it will be just like PC games on STEAM.

If that does happen, then I think Console sales are going to take a huge hit, and Console piracy is going to become a lot bigger than it is now.

warmaster670
12-18-2011, 05:19 AM
It is a ridiculous argument from Ubisoft as pirates are not in your customer pool. So the amount of paying customer lost due to piracy on your bottom line is very small. Ubisoft's DRM is annoying and could be far less intrusive.
This makes no sense, theres plenty of people who pirate stuff they would have bought if they couldnt steal it.

AlHudson1
12-18-2011, 09:20 AM
This makes no sense, theres plenty of people who pirate stuff they would have bought if they couldnt steal it.

I agree but maybe Ubisoft could look for serious alternatives like Onlive.

DirtyHarry50
12-18-2011, 09:19 PM
"95% of our consumers will pirate the game"

That is a lot of BS.

It would not surprise me if their draconian copy protection schemes don't result in higher piracy rates than other titles without that stuff but that number is just ridiculous. They seem to imply that by nature PC gamers are all thieves.

The recent commercial success of Skyrim proves otherwise very nicely.

Ubisoft needs to work harder at making games that are excellent and therefore worth paying for and removing punishing DRM that honest, paying consumers hate. That is their problem with sales in a nutshell, not dishonest PC gamers.

If Ubisoft wants to throw a little tantrum here, pack up their toys and go home well fine. I don't care personally. There are plenty of excellent PC games to play. The world won't stop turning without Ubisoft titles on PC, that is for sure. They can keep their half baked "free" online crap too.

Meantime, I will gladly purchase quality entertainment from people who have some respect and consideration for their customers.

Ankle_biter
12-24-2011, 11:17 AM
It's amazing that Ubisoft lives in it's own little vacuum where all their PC games get pirated to hell and sell no copies, but outside that vacuum where the rest of the developers reside, said developers are quite successful in terms of profit and relatively minimal piracy on the PC.

It couldn't be something you are doing wrong right Ubisoft? It must be the pirates...

Nutlink
12-24-2011, 12:29 PM
relatively minimal piracy on the PC.

The rest of your post is spot on, but this part is very wrong. Still, there is profit to be had on the PC side, even more so if you treat your customers right. Or at least that's how successful PC oriented companies such as CD Projekt, Bohemia Interactive, Blizzard, Tripwire Interactive, and others seem to do it.

Reignfire
12-25-2011, 10:03 PM
The rest of your post is spot on, but this part is very wrong. Still, there is profit to be had on the PC side, even more so if you treat your customers right. Or at least that's how successful PC oriented companies such as CD Projekt, Bohemia Interactive, Blizzard, Tripwire Interactive, and others seem to do it.

Actually this part was spot on as well. When you compare paying customers to those that pirate games the pirates are in the minority. This is especially true with online multiplayer games that require CD keys to connect to game servers. I have not and from the looks of things will not buy another Ubisoft game. The last one I bought was GRAW and I hated the experience so much (scripted, overdramatic, and limited environments). As much as I loved Ghost Recon and Raven Shield Ubisoft is now in decline. They need to start making quality tactical shooter titles that we PC gamers have enjoyed from them and remove their DRM nonsense. I'm a huge spender when it comes to games and DRM alone will keep me from purchasing a game even if it's on sale. I don't pirate games. Where's their profit? Obviously their games have issues that PC gamers can't deal with. Ubisoft has ruined its reputation in the PC gaming community.

I will give GRAW's developer a little credit. They tried their best to listen to the Ghost recon community but they ended up making a dud with poor gameplay and DRM. All they had to do was recreate the original Ghost Recon with better graphics and they couldn't even do that right.

PC games make money all the time when they deserve to (Skyrim, Deus Ex, Crysis 2, and the list goes on). The console market is more relaxed quality wise and can turn a quick buck on even the worst game.

Nutlink
12-26-2011, 02:58 AM
No, it's not even close. Look at the number of downloads for games like The Witcher 2 (est at over 4.5 million) compared to actual sales (just over 1 million). That's just a single example, and many games suffer the same way. Or how about the game Demigod from Stardock that had it's servers overrun with pirates on release? Out of 120,000 connections only 18,000 were authentic. It's ridiculous.

Crysis only sold 86k in it's first month, yet was downloaded over 300,000 times. Unreal Tournament 3 had over 40 million connection attempts with pirated keys.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/30/witcher-2-piracy/
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/17/demigod-servers-overrun-with-pirates-at-launch-better-now/
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/05/09/crytek-and-epic-lost-millions-because-of-piracy-and-are-now-switching-game-development-away-from-pc.htm

I ran an ArmA 2 server for several months once it hit the US, but dropped the server after OA came out. The amount of people that were banned for duplicate keys was insane, definitely up there with unique IDs.

To say that piracy is minimal on the PC is just, well, ignorant and stupid.

AlHudson1
12-27-2011, 11:45 AM
No, it's not even close. Look at the number of downloads for games like The Witcher 2 (est at over 4.5 million) compared to actual sales (just over 1 million). That's just a single example, and many games suffer the same way. Or how about the game Demigod from Stardock that had it's servers overrun with pirates on release? Out of 120,000 connections only 18,000 were authentic. It's ridiculous.

Crysis only sold 86k in it's first month, yet was downloaded over 300,000 times. Unreal Tournament 3 had over 40 million connection attempts with pirated keys.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/30/witcher-2-piracy/
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/17/demigod-servers-overrun-with-pirates-at-launch-better-now/
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/05/09/crytek-and-epic-lost-millions-because-of-piracy-and-are-now-switching-game-development-away-from-pc.htm

I ran an ArmA 2 server for several months once it hit the US, but dropped the server after OA came out. The amount of people that were banned for duplicate keys was insane, definitely up there with unique IDs.

To say that piracy is minimal on the PC is just, well, ignorant and stupid.

Well said... piracy in PC hurts too much because is the platform with less sales.

Sokratesz
01-01-2012, 02:08 PM

I want to know whether a game is good before I buy it. Even more so with all the sequel crap being released nowadays. There is no evidence that every pirated copy would have been a sale, yet there appears to be a correlation between titles downloaded and titles bought (a positive one).

And all the DRM crap just hurts the legitimate customer.

Nutlink
01-03-2012, 02:28 PM
I want to know whether a game is good before I buy it. Even more so with all the sequel crap being released nowadays. There is no evidence that every pirated copy would have been a sale, yet there appears to be a correlation between titles downloaded and titles bought (a positive one).

And all the DRM crap just hurts the legitimate customer.

It's called popularity. The more popular a game is the more people will buy it (and/or download it). While not every download is a lost sale, I'm sure a good portion of them are. Look at what I posted before. Just using the Witcher 2 as an example again, there were just over 1 million copies sold. With how they calculated downloads they estimated it at over 4.5 million (and they used low end calculations to guesstimate, meaning it could definitely be much higher). Now say that just 1% of the people who downloaded it would have bought it otherwise. Just 1 out of 100. That translates to AT LEAST 45k more copies sold, which is almost a 5% increase to sales. 1 out of 50 downloaders buy it? 10% increase in sales. That's a HUGE ratio, and giving the benefit of the doubt for a very small percentage of downloaders actually buying the game.

Besides the fact that it (arguably and potentially) harms the financial part of the business, it can have a major impact on those who actually PAID to use the product. I point out Demigod as another example. 18,000 connections out of 120,000 were paid customers, yet the rest were pirates. Due to sales expectations they weren't planning on 120,000 people trying to play, so those 18,000 that paid to do so had problems because 102,000 other people didn't want to pay or wanted to "demo" the game before release.

If you want to know if a game is good, watch a bunch of youtube videos, read reviews, wait for a while for the bugs to get fixed and the community to give an idea of what the game is truly like. By that time you'll be saving money, have fewer "bad" purchases, and have a much better idea of what you really like. If you MUST have a game on it's release (or shortly thereafter) then jump in line and pay for it like everyone else.

Dr_House01
01-08-2012, 06:33 AM
DRM is a ♥♥♥♥♥, good luck next time Ubisoft, I dont care about this..

UTROMSHREDDER
01-10-2012, 10:56 AM
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/ghost-recon-future-soldier-is-coming-to-pc-after-all/

UTROMSHREDDER
01-10-2012, 10:57 AM
they JUST announced that is coming to pc too? so what was the point of all this? they wanted to make pc gamers angry and announce pc verison later?

Rossa_AU
02-01-2012, 09:40 PM
they JUST announced that is coming to pc too? so what was the point of all this? they wanted to make pc gamers angry and announce pc verison later?

Possible that they wanted to see the reaction in order to know if the game had enough interest or something.......but who knows, i'm just happy we are getting it. Now the next step is waiting to see if it appears on Steam for pre-order any time soon lol.

Acewings
03-14-2012, 08:50 AM

UPDATE, now coming to PC:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/01/ghost-recon-future-soldier-slides-back-to-may/

Honestly, I'm pretty offended. I've never pirated a game before. EVER. This is what Ubisoft thinks of their PC gaming community. 95% of us are all pirates according to them. What a load of crap. Thankfully they've reversed their decision and it's coming to the PC. Still, the fact that they think that almost everyone who plays PC games are thieves is pretty insulting imo...

Edit: Oh yeah, and I've bought MULTIPLE copies of like 2-3 Assassin Creed games just so I could get them on Steam.

GrimCW
03-15-2012, 05:08 PM
lol, tbh if it was being stopped over piracy Ubi only has themselves to blame.
does anyone even recall the horrid state of the PC games Ubi released during the time when GRAW and R6V were put out?
terrible rush jobs, half a**ed patches, and dumped support within 2 months!
Hell, it took the threat of a lawsuit to get R6V to even be made stable! the official forums were insane to read at that time! and GRAW.. awww man, the shills, the shills! Ubi seriously had no faith in their customers at that time and clearly knew their products were bad.. i mean, why else would you need PAID (hey, some confessed, others went into hiding. and a few were just forum mods in disguise) shills? (for those who may not know a shill is a person planted by the merchant to speak good will of the product in an attempt to garner more sales using "word of mouth" tactics.)

they lost a LOT of credit doing that, and started to gain some just before they decided to kick themselves in the ace with their always on DRM scheme and ruin it again.
tbh its better now that its not 100% online only, but its still somewhat BS that it requires an online check for EVERY time you run the game.

but it seems the decision was overturned :)
can't wait for the free online (assuming it'll be any good) and possibly this one.
but we'll see, i wanna know if its doing the always on BS first.
I won't pirate things, but i get a kick out of publishers/devs that slander the PC platform for piracy AFTER making terrible mistakes like Ubi has.

Ubi has a terrible track record of late with PC gamers IMO, and the mass butchering of cult classics in the clancy' series of games really hasn't helped that.
good games they may be, but Tom Clancy original style they are not. to me its literally R6V and GRAW, no Rainbow Sixes or Ghost Recons about them.
thankfully GoG.com is there to save the day with the original R6 :) now if someone would just re-release Rogue Spear i'd be in heaven.. that or if i could find my bloody discs... got two copies of that game and all its expansions, you'd think i'd know where they are!
found the strat guides but no discs! heh.