PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 x64 - always crashes on exit

CarolHaynes
11-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Anyone else experience this - always when I exit the game freezes.

Computer OK and I can get back with CTRL/ALT/DEL but it is annoying.

Any ideas?

blondie
11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Does it to me too, but doesn't affect the game...

And what I mean is that it comes up with the 'program has closed' box, and I just click 'close program', don't need to do a CAD.

3dReadyGamer
11-26-2011, 11:15 AM
It does it to me as well every time I exit the game. It says, LA Noire has unexpectedly stopped, or something like that...

I click, OK, then it exits to desktop..

rgz333
11-26-2011, 02:28 PM
I am running Win7 64bit and it does the EXACT same thing to me as well. I exit the game and get a error message asking me to close program, says "la noire not responding". Doesn't seem to mess with the game too much though, just annoying.

CarolHaynes
11-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks - that makes me a little less paranoid. Posted a support request with Rockstar - if I get an answer I will post back.

Aside:

Am I the only person who likes to get in the car and drive anywhere running people over and crashing until it bursts into flames.

Dumping your partner in a bad part of town is quite fun too! :rolleyes:

Br3ach
11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Same here. I'm pretty sure by now they never tested on 64bit OS... at least not the Steam version. Proof? Seems that everyone is affected.

Danrik
11-27-2011, 11:48 AM
This happens to me as well, but it's nothing to worry about. It's a common complain with a few Bethesda games as well.

To me it just seems that because of the way the program closes, Windows seems to think that an error occurred or it froze and crashed. You have nothing to worry about and it'll do your game no damage. Of course it is a pain in the neck but it isn't a serious issue.

Br3ach
11-27-2011, 11:50 AM
This happens to me as well, but it's nothing to worry about. It's a common complain with a few Bethesda games as well.

To me it just seems that because of the way the program closes, Windows seems to think that an error occurred or it froze and crashed. You have nothing to worry about and it'll do your game no damage. Of course it is a pain in the neck but it isn't a serious issue.

No, it's not the 'Windows thinks your program may have crashed' thing, it's crashing for real. Yes, apparently no harm done so it's just a nuisance.

Danrik
11-27-2011, 11:59 AM
No, it's not the 'Windows thinks your program may have crashed' thing, it's crashing for real. Yes, apparently no harm done so it's just a nuisance.

I may be wrong. You may be wrong. All I can say is windows brings up an annoying box regardless :P

Though I'm tempted to stick with my reasoning of it being Windows fault at recognising an actual crash, because I've lose count of the amount of times I've successfully installed an application and had to ignore the "This program might not have installed correctly" box.

Ytsejam
11-28-2011, 06:10 AM
I may be wrong. You may be wrong. All I can say is windows brings up an annoying box regardless :P

Though I'm tempted to stick with my reasoning of it being Windows fault at recognising an actual crash, because I've lose count of the amount of times I've successfully installed an application and had to ignore the "This program might not have installed correctly" box.

This is one of the most stupid "features" in windows 7. I always ignore this message, just like that useless "check for solutions online" (or something like it).

As for crashing on exit, I have win 7 64 and the game freezes when I quit, but it closes without any error messages after 15-30 seconds or so.

CarolHaynes
11-28-2011, 03:05 PM
It is definitely an LA Noire error - not Windows as the error logs show:

Faulting application name: LANoire.exe, version: 2396.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ebd3c9b
Faulting module name: LANoire.exe, version: 2396.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ebd3c9b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x013e4ff8
Faulting process id: 0xffc
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccae1e8d61dc40
Faulting application path: F:\steam\steamapps\common\l.a.noire\LANoire.exe
Faulting module path: F:\steam\steamapps\common\l.a.noire\LANoire.exe
Report Id: 280959a5-1a14-11e1-8a57-005056c00008

Actually Windows is pretty sophisticated with dealing with erros these days - at least it doesn't freeze/crash the whole machine.

My concern is not just the nuisance value but I don't know if other modules, drivers and DLL files are loaded with LA Noire that don't get closed when the app crashes.

tragikos
11-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Yeah I have the same problem too! Not sure if I'm glad more people have it or not :P

bwtodd
11-29-2011, 07:46 PM
I get the same thing

Death Stalker
11-30-2011, 03:14 PM
I have it too, but I'm glad to have it since until an hour ago I couldn't even get the game to quit synching and start lol.

But seriously, after reading the thread, I'm not worried about it. i've had that happen with other games over the last 20-25 years.........

blondie
12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I have it too, but I'm glad to have it since until an hour ago I couldn't even get the game to quit synching and start lol.

But seriously, after reading the thread, I'm not worried about it. i've had that happen with other games over the last 20-25 years.........
Which version of Windows were you playing games on 25 years ago? ;)

Death Stalker
12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Which version of Windows were you playing games on 25 years ago? ;)

I'm old. I consider MS DOS as "windows" lol. I used to play "video games" ie. computer games that consisted of stuff like....... "You are walking down a dark hall. Suddenly a door appears on your left. Do you enter? Press Y or N. :o

Heck ALL the good games were on DOS, even after "WIndows" broke away.

3.11 was the first "official" windows I used thoguh. That was 19 years ago I guess........ I don't remember the first games though that you didn't have to switch to DOS to play though. That would be after XP came out I think.

Windows 1.0 really wasn't an OS though, more like an operating environment.

Chani
12-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Other games behave the same in Win7 64. But honestly... I prefer a game crashing on exit (every time - e.g. Battlestations: Pacific), then occasionally IN game.

And yes, L.A. Noire only crashed once ingame after... about 10 hrs of continous playing. So.. Thumbs up for me!

Sorry to hear of the many issues others have.

CarolHaynes
12-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Well I got a reply from Rockstar which suggested the following:

Check file integrity
Check file fragmentation

Given that I already told them that I had don't integrity checks that was pretty pointless and I can't see why fragmentation should affect exit if it doesn't affect the game - having said that I keep all games on a dedicated hard disk and it has 0% fragmentation so that was irrelevant too.

Haven't heard back since but I await their next pearls of wisdom with bated breath!

Dave3d
12-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Haven't heard back since but I await their next pearls of wisdom with bated breath!

Hehehehe

I also have the error, also Win7 64.
No, no other game does this.
But, it seems a bit worse on my machine than your guys machines.
Sometimes, I cant click the Close Program dialog.
Most times, the mouse wont work, until I do close it, so I have to juggle task manager using keyboard only, try tabbing to the dialog (sometimes it just will not 'take' when I select it, it comes up as active, but cant be tabbed around in), and only when I can finally tab to Close, will it close, and then I get my mouse back.
Sigh.

Great game though.

CarolHaynes
12-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Actually the same happens to me re. keyboard actions to get out. Just pressing CTRL/ALT/DEL and launching the task manager seems to do the trick on my system.

julio_fb
12-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Its happening to me too, but I dont mind since at the very beginning I couldn't even start the game. Have the game for one week, but its been the first day I've actually played and its a pretty cool game.

Thanks for this, Rockstar!

adolf
12-08-2011, 10:25 PM
+1 crashing when exit on Windows 7 x64

EdEdit
12-11-2011, 04:24 AM
After a support battle with Rockstar, I managed to get this morsel of info out of them:

Go to control panel -> Administrative tools -> Services
Locate Microsoft .Net Framework NGEN v4
Right click and select properties and set start-up type to Disabled.
Or Set start-up type to Manual and then select stop.

This stopped the Win7x64 exit crash for me, but also rendered some other software on my system unusable. Great support hey? Not so much a fix as a 'temporary blag'. I've closed my support request and solved all my Noire problems by taking other users advice on the net. This seems to be the only way...