PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for the Steam Sale?

Steviepunk
11-26-2011, 11:43 AM
With so many of the Tom Clancy games on sale at the moment, seems like a good time to finally try one or two out, however I'm not really sure where to begin - with there being quite a few Ghost Recon games, which one (or two) should I try out?

I'd mainly be going for the single player, I doubt I'd have the time to spend long with the multi-player.

emtilt
11-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I'd love to hear about this as well. Don't want to get the whole pack; maybe one or two. Are there any worth getting?

bl00d.cl0t
11-26-2011, 12:43 PM
definitely Splinter Cell Chaos Theory,...then maybe Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

Steviepunk
11-27-2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, think I'll pick up Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 and Splinter Cell & Chaos Theory.

So are none of the Ghost Recon games worth getting for single player?

AmEyeBlind
11-27-2011, 10:30 AM
graw 1 and 2 are not bad from what i know.
never played the single myself, just the graw 1 multi.
thinking about the graw2 for single and coop as well right now

hoak
11-27-2011, 10:59 AM
I have them all, both on Steam and off; and none of the Clancy games 'suck' especially at Steam Sale prices -- though I would say some are better then others, and that will depend on your expectations and what you're looking for. If you've got a realistic idea of what the games that interest you have to offer, I'd be suprised if you found any of them disappointing though HAWKS and EndWar are generally held in the lowest regard among the games on sale...

The original Ghost Recon with the Desert Siege and Island Thunder expansions is still regarded by many (and I agree) to be a high water mark in realism game design. Ghost Recon remains one of, if not the most modded games with over 50Gb of mod content, much of it commercial quality as good as and some better then the retail content, and more still being worked on to this day. The multi-player is excellent, with loads of game modes from coop to mission based modes with polished net-code that will even satisfy on dial-up.

Like Ghost Recon, the Raven Shield games are on an older engine, but this offers the advantage that you can play them just about anywhere on any PC hardware, with any quality internet connection (even dial-up at Grandma's)... Similarly there are mountains of maps and mods for Raven Shield, many that are truly outstanding.

The newer Clancy games trade depth of game design for more modern engines, more sexed up art assets, over-the-top game themes; and while fun are not as replayable as the earlier games, and in some cases don't have the mod support (if any). The odd thing is that were typically sequels are usually not as good as the first game Vegas 2 And GRAW 2 are the exception and in many ways improvements on their predecessors...

;)

Fusionmix
12-26-2011, 10:17 PM
I'd say go for Chaos Theory and Ghost Recon (the first one, with its expansions).

The former is the best Splinter Cell, the latter I am playing for the first time now and have to say it is fantastic. Punishing, difficult, and utterly fantastic. There's something very satisfying about methodically spotting your enemies with a recon team and bringing your sniper team onto a hilltop and giving the 'weapons free' order.

Though it's the first game I've played on the lowest difficulty for a while, lol. Very humbling, but really requires a bit of thinking.