PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting Skyrim

XHummel
11-27-2011, 05:25 PM
So i bet people here know a lot about this game so how would you see a mainly an FPS player getting this game. Would i feel "lost" here or would it be easy to pick up and enjoy or would it be an impossible combination? My only RPG type of game has been Dead Island where you put experience points into some skill and that is about it, atleast can't remember playing anything else RPG-style games. The player numbers are huge on Steam store so i think that kind of proves that the hype was strong and they did something right with the game since that many people got it and it has been getting awesome reviews all around but the only complaint has been the horrible HUD system (or the thing where you select something from your inventory and stuff, english not my primary language so my bad, but i think you get the point) so is that HUD/inventory menu usage that bad as people make it out to be?

fightwithspoons
11-27-2011, 05:28 PM
The hud is awesome I don't know how anyone could have a problem with it.. It's beautifully layed out and very easy to navigate.

This game is not hard to understand at all, you should get it and you will be happy you did.

GiroTheHero
11-27-2011, 05:29 PM
I haven't had a problem with the HUD. If you're talking about navigating the menus, it took me a little getting used to but now there's no problem. I can't speak for everyone, though.

teromous
11-27-2011, 05:30 PM
If you have a PS3 or 360, I'd recommend getting it for those. You're less likely to have problems, and it's really built for consoles. Then if you don't like it, at least you can sell back the game or sell it to somebody else.

The game has an FPS "feel" to it, and the RPG elements are watered down a bit intentionally to make it easier for new players. There is a decent bit of reading/listening so you might have some problems with the language barrier, but I doubt you'll have too much of a problem judging by the quality of your post.

johnhughthom
11-27-2011, 05:30 PM
The hud is fine, the menu definitely takes a while to get used to. I think that once you accept that using the mouse just makes things worse, and navigate solely with the keyboard then you will get used to it.

There is a decent bit of reading/listening so you might have some problems with the language barrier, but I doubt you'll have too much of a problem judging by the quality of your post.

The journal isn't always clear though, and if you didn't catch something there doesn't seem to be any way to check it.

SystemiK
11-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Heh, yeah well based on your comments you are bound to feel a bit lost in a more traditional style RPG. Having so many options on how to play and where to go can be a bit daunting if you are used to "corridors". That being said, the game does do quite a bit of hand holding compared to many other RPG's which are considered to be more hardcore.

Mainly what I wanted to say is that you can listen to all the advice you want, but ultimately, the only way you will ever know if this style of game is going to be for you is to just jump in and play. I play a sheetload of FPS games but it's probaly worth mentioning that I have not launched BF3 even once since the launch of Skyrim. Worth a shot eh? I can think of a lot of worse things to drop 50 or 60 bucks on...

Aza-Industries
11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
The HUD isn't fine like everyone is saying,

But you will get use to it after a while.
The games is super duper easy, and you hand is held throughout the whole experience.

Good game for it's time though if you look at all the other crap coming out these days.

I'd recommend it solely on the fact that it is slightly better then everything else recently. And modders will be able to fix it eventually.

It's a game that has been consolised and dumbed down for people like you who play FPS games so you should be happy with it =D

XHummel
11-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Wow thanks for the very fast replies guys! I probably will get this then next month, since right now im a bit short on money but in next month i get more so then it's time to get it. And another question: How long does the main story line take? Like 5-8 hours like in the current generation First person shooters or something like 12-30 hours? (Not counting in all the possible optional side quests, just the things you need to get the main story finished). And if i go to a store and buy the CD version, you know with the case and the small guide and CD inside will it still require reqistration on Steam, like i have to type in the CD key to Steam in order to play it? That ain't a problem for me, it would be more like a good thing since i like having all of my games in the same place, in the Steam Library.

Aza-Industries
11-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Wow thanks for the very fast replies guys! I probably will get this then next month, since right now im a bit short on money but in next month i get more so then it's time to get it. And another question: How long does the main story line take? Like 5-8 hours like in the current generation First person shooters or something like 12-30 hours? (Not counting in all the possible optional side quests, just the things you need to get the main story finished).

eh.. I'm up to 120 hours and I've only finished the 2 or 3 main story quest.

But I have been doing a lot of modding.

GiroTheHero
11-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Main quests alone, the game might take you 8 hours, probably less. The real fun in the game is all the exploration, you'll sink more hours into that than anything.

johnhughthom
11-27-2011, 05:52 PM
The HUD isn't fine like everyone is saying

What's wrong with the HUD?

Aza-Industries
11-27-2011, 05:58 PM

What isn't? If you on PC it's the worst HUD in gaming for a long time.

Both morrowind and oblivion had more intuitive systems that were actually useful.
Someone drew up a good diagram listing just a few of the reasons:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5679/skyriminterface.jpg

It's fine if you're on a console but for PC its terrible. It's clear they did no work on it when they ported it.

teromous
11-27-2011, 05:59 PM

It looks ugly and requires the use of a controller or keys to navigate it efficiently, versus the PC norm of using a mouse? For example, an item in the inventory is highlighted and my mouse is 2 items above/below it so instead I use W/S keys. Navigating through the perks is clunky and instead of a simple "click" to get there, it zooms in to attempt looking "cool" then causes problems when trying to go left/right between perks in the same constellation, and sends me into another perk tree. Instead of the simple rose system that they had in Oblivion, now they have an annoying favorites list. Scrolling through items in your inventory is way too slow, and there isn't an option to sort by price, sort by weight, etc. The black and white interface without color, just looks way too bland. Hmm what else...

Aza-Industries
11-27-2011, 06:02 PM
STUFF

High Five!

GiroTheHero
11-27-2011, 06:04 PM
The HUD (Heads-Up Display) is what you see when you're adventuring around. Pretty sure everyone realizes the menus are screwed up, take a lot of getting used to, and could be done much better (though I don't have any real issues with it...).

SystemiK
11-27-2011, 06:10 PM

Both morrowind and oblivion had more intuitive systems that were actually useful.

It's fine if you're on a console but for PC its terrible. It's clear they did no work on it when they ported it.

Oh GTFO! I can totally understand the fact that you don't like the HUD....but to put someone completely off of the game for THAT?

Easily the most ridiculous thing I have read today. To the OP, hit up youtube for some videos, you'll see. Its just a HUD, not the best, not the worst, and definitely nothing to base your purchase on. Same goes for the menu's.

lobbotekka2019
11-27-2011, 06:14 PM

If you think that is bad, try talking to npc's and responding using the poor UI. I end up selecting the wrong conversation choice because of the poor scrolling issues. Same with buying and selling goods/weapons etc.

If anything, the UI or HUD are the worst aspects to the game.

Aza-Industries
11-27-2011, 06:15 PM
The HUD (Heads-Up Display) is what you see when you're adventuring around. Pretty sure everyone realizes the menus are screwed up, take a lot of getting used to, and could be done much better (though I don't have any real issues with it...).

Yes but the OP mentioned the only problems he had heard were pertaining to the HUD but in truth it is the GUI that these complaints have been about, it was either a missword on the OPs side or the reviewers side in using the incorrect terminology.

=D

johnhughthom

It looks ugly and requires the use of a controller or keys to navigate it efficiently, versus the PC norm of using a mouse? For example, an item in the inventory is highlighted and my mouse is 2 items above/below it so instead I use W/S keys. Navigating through the perks is clunky and instead of a simple "click" to get there, it zooms in to attempt looking "cool" then causes problems when trying to go left/right between perks in the same constellation, and sends me into another perk tree. Instead of the simple rose system that they had in Oblivion, now they have an annoying favorites list. Scrolling through items in your inventory is way too slow, and there isn't an option to sort by price, sort by weight, etc. The black and white interface without color, just looks way too bland. Hmm what else...

Thank you Giro, I thought the answer to my question might have been "I don't know what a HUD actually is." ;)

teromous

I'm pretty sure that we all know that those using the term HUD are referring to the interface, and not the HUD in the literal sense. :rolleyes:

Aza-Industries
11-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Oh GTFO! I can totally understand the fact that you don't like the HUD....but to put someone completely off of the game for THAT?

Easily the most ridiculous thing I have read today. To the OP, hit up youtube for some videos, you'll see. Its just a HUD, not the best, not the worst, and definitely nothing to base your purchase on. Same goes for the menu's.

I'm not putting anyone completely of the game.
I even recommended it earlier.

Clearly you can't read =D

Mivo
11-27-2011, 06:20 PM
If you have a PS3 or 360, I'd recommend getting it for those.

I disagree with that bit of advice. Not only can you use console commands to fix bugs and glitches, but the PC version also supports mods. (The xbox version has the same bugs as the PC version, but you can't correct them yourself, like followers not gaining levels). Skyrim, just like the other TES games, is all about modding support. Once the creation kit has been released, there will be numerous mods that totally change and improve the game. Not just naked women, but actually useful stuff and content. ;)

The only aspect that speaks for the console version is that you can re-sell it, if you're a situation where this is relevant.

GiroTheHero
11-27-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that we all know that those using the term HUD are referring to the interface, and not the HUD in the literal sense. :rolleyes:

Sure, I knew what you meant when you said HUD (mainly because a bunch of people complain about it), but if you're not specific your answer could be easily misinterpreted. Not trying to come off as an ♥♥♥ or anything, I'm just a very direct person. :)

Mulux
11-27-2011, 06:24 PM
You can press P to get the magic screen up, you don't have to press tab and select magic. I find the interface alright, like everything else in the game you just have to learn to use it and you get used to it pretty quickly

Aza-Industries
11-27-2011, 06:25 PM
I disagree with that bit of advice. Not only can you use console commands to fix bugs and glitches, but the PC version also supports mods. (The xbox version has the same bugs as the PC version, but you can't correct them yourself, like followers not gaining levels). Skyrim, just like the other TES games, is all about modding support. Once the creation kit has been released, there will be numerous mods that totally change and improve the game. Not just naked women, but actually useful stuff and content. ;)

The only aspect that speaks for the console version is that you can re-sell it, if you're a situation where this is relevant.

True, which is odd that they would design it for consoles and then port it to PC instead of the other way around, knowing that all TES games have been more popular on PC because of the modding community.

WHYYY did you consolise it Bethesda! WHY!

Oh wait money.. that's right.

teromous
11-27-2011, 06:28 PM

I recommended the same advice to another, and he's told me that he hasn't encountered any problems yet (PS3). I've had everything form CTD to missing textures. I can't speak for the mods because I never used them in Morrowind or Oblivion. Seeing as how Bethesda has gone the Rockstar route of making their games crute console ports, I'll probably just start buying them for console from now on. It's less of a hassle and I actually own the game and can sell it off.