PDA

View Full Version : DLC Already? Really?

DJ Cryotek
11-28-2011, 01:54 PM
I was interested in this game, but this kind of disgusts me. Mind you, I don't always mind DLC. But... IT'S BEEN A WEEK PEOPLE. Obviously they were just sitting on this so they could make the base game cheaper and trick people in the door. And offering the premium plane DLC screws up the game's balance.

Tapewormz
11-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Honestly, it's only $1.49. You really have nothing to gripe about. There's always going to be DLC haters. Everytime DLC is released, someone moans.

Scorcher24
11-28-2011, 02:16 PM
I was about to buy that game next month.. but then I saw "Premium Plane" as DLC.... I am not sure if want anymore.
Also, it is 10€. Then selling MP seperatly?
Gosh..

Dave22
11-28-2011, 03:56 PM
The DLC only seems early because the game was late to come to steam, where everything has already been finished/promoted. Skydrift + DLC have both been out for a while on xbox as far as i know.

Then selling MP seperatly?
Gosh..

MP isn't sold separately, just a couple of game modes. Frankly, they aren't as fun as the standard ones anyway.

xX_Renegade_Xx
11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Then selling MP seperatly? Gosh..

I agree, I don't want to see anymore of this type of DLC, new maps/planes yes but not game modes, thankfully it was already part of the game for me as I bought before the 28th November but this type of DLC I don't like I must admit.

T@F
11-28-2011, 05:19 PM
I was on the fence to buy this.
But seeing the two dlc has now put me off.
Also Tapewormz that's the type of excuse that's causing dlc like this.

btw i'm all for indie devs to make extra cash,but not when the game has been out for 5 mins.
That alone will drive more ppl away,because the base game and ppl thinking they have to get the dlc as well.
otherwise they don't have the complete game.

purplellama
11-28-2011, 07:48 PM
dude the game is amazing for 9.99, i was honestly waiting to
hand over a small amount like 1.49 for 3 planes.

on top of that it will help display the game on steam and
hopefully fill up some multiplayer games.

one of the best $10 games i've played in a long time,
i could get TONS of hours out of this game with or without
the dlc. *shrug*

i can understand complaining about DLC packs, black ops comes to mind
with THREE dlc packs totaling the entire cost of the game.
but if a $1.49 option for vehicles scares you away not sure what to say.

Shinbusho
11-28-2011, 09:44 PM
The game was already out for a month or two on console. There was DLC already added to it and they are just re-releasing everything.

Grunzer
11-28-2011, 10:02 PM
the prices for this game are absolutly fair!

and u realy dont need the new modes (deathmatch and teamdeathmatch). both are fun for a little time, but hey, this is a racing game!

lgm1979
11-29-2011, 12:56 AM
When I bought this game the other day, it said "buy Skydrift before Nov. 28(?) and get the DLC pack free". I don't recall which pack it was, but I know I don't have it. Shouldn't we be getting one of them for free? I went into the Download DLC in the options menu and it brought up the purchase page for the DLC. Weird.

Euphytose
11-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Why would you buy anything anyway?

This game is dead, I tried 4 times to find someone online on different timezones that SHOULD be ok, nothing came up, I wasted my money.

foadiron
11-29-2011, 01:55 AM
Honestly, it's only $1.49. You really have nothing to gripe about. There's always going to be DLC haters. Everytime DLC is released, someone moans.

And there's always pathetic newbies who defend the indefensible.

xX_Renegade_Xx
11-29-2011, 01:58 AM
Why would you buy anything anyway?

This game is dead, I tried 4 times to find someone online on different timezones that SHOULD be ok, nothing came up, I wasted my money.

The game is not dead, it's just difficult to find someone online, I created a Steam group for this reason, myself and others were playing on Saturday/Sunday night and players were joining while I was hosting.

If you're having problems finding an online game join the Steam group, I'm setting an event up every weekend.

The price for the game is fair but charging for game modes? That I don't like.

@ lgm1979

Go to the store page and see if you own the MP dlc, as you bought before the 28th November it should state you already own it, if it doesn't try verifying the game cache or contacting support.

Scorcher24
11-29-2011, 01:58 AM
It is how they are advertised.
Quote from the store:
Experience the next level of speed and power. The three most powerful and deadliest planes of SkyDrift are ready for take off.

That implies that you cannot compete without those planes. It implies that they are better than the stock ones.
So basically this game is pay to win.
And thats a big nono in a competitive game.
Skins only? Hell, no problem. Support the indies I say.
It is not the price. It is the nature of the matter.

lordofterror
11-29-2011, 02:04 AM
When I bought this game the other day, it said "buy Skydrift before Nov. 28(?) and get the DLC pack free". I don't recall which pack it was, but I know I don't have it. Shouldn't we be getting one of them for free? I went into the Download DLC in the options menu and it brought up the purchase page for the DLC. Weird.

same problem here although i got the game in a contest , i activated it on 26th no dlc here

Grunzer
11-29-2011, 04:49 AM
for all who dont found the free dlc. try to open a custom multiplayer game and choose deatchmatch or team deathmatch! if u can choose these two modes, you have the free dlc!

lgm1979
11-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Ok, I see now, I played some multiplayer finally and yes the DLC is already included. Deathmatch is frakkin awesome!

n_skid
11-29-2011, 05:43 AM
Normally you might have reason to complain at DLC being release this soon after the game came out. But given that I was complaining at them a month for releasing a second DLC before the Steam version had come out, I think I'll let is slid that they got there EXISTING DLC out on steam promptly.

Besides, in my opinion the game is worth more then its £7 price tag.

As for the game being dead, that's not the developers fault, if anything it's the fault of gamers being unwilling to wait and giving up to quickly. It's and indie title for gods sake, they don't have one million people trying to play online at the same time, a wait should be expected, failing that find people who like the game and arrange a game.

testy
11-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Is the fighter pack just unlocks or actually new planes? Can the multiplayer pack be used with bots?

§abrewulf ®
11-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Is the fighter pack just unlocks or actually new planes? Can the multiplayer pack be used with bots?

Of course its just a tiny unlock file, the DLC data is already there on your PC, otherwise how would you see the new planes of others that have bought the dlc.

Sees lame right, but that's how it is.

I also think its way too early for DLC, even if it was out on the consoles already, it just seems crappy, like the game was skimped and stuff was held back just to make a buck. True DLC should be created after a game is launched and out for some time, giving players new content to play with.

Game looks nice and fun, but its gonna have to be a good Steam sale to get any of my dollars.

ElfShotTheFood
11-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Wasn't it free if you bought the game before the 28th?

Hokum
11-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Gee people, maybe you'd prefer if this game cost $14.99 like it does on console PLUS DLC that is twice as expensive? They're just porting over the identical base game and DLC packs from console, for better or worse. This isn't some plot to uniquely screw PC users.

Rockfireex
11-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Haha.. you guys are ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.. I personally have the game.. by damn its the most fun I've had in a long time. However the idea that dlc will kill the game is stupid.. lets face it.. nobody plays deathmatch (which was free for a time) and the 3 extra dlc planes are balanced with the rest so you gain no advantage over purchasing them. Hell.. the skyline is still one of the better planes.. and that's the default one.

So where's this splitting the community? Come on.. if people have been playing for a long time then they'll happily shell out for DLC to prolong the games longevity, especially for things like maps.

Also.. lets not forget its an indie game.. which costs all of £7/$7..

xX_Renegade_Xx
11-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Haha.. you guys are ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.. I personally have the game.. by damn its the most fun I've had in a long time. However the idea that dlc will kill the game is stupid.. lets face it.. nobody plays deathmatch (which was free for a time) and the 3 extra dlc planes are balanced with the rest so you gain no advantage over purchasing them. Hell.. the skyline is still one of the better planes.. and that's the default one.

So where's this splitting the community? Come on.. if people have been playing for a long time then they'll happily shell out for DLC to prolong the games longevity, especially for things like maps.

Also.. lets not forget its an indie game.. which costs all of £7/$7..

Game released 21st Nov
DLC released 28th Nov

One week after the original game was out the DLC starts, I don't know if it's going to split the community because I don't know how well it's selling but from a buyers point of view that is not good, add to that the fact the devs haven't been anywhere near the forum yet and it does make me wonder what kind of support we'll get.

They are charging for two game modes (DM and TDM), The fact that it's an indie dev does not make it right and neither does the price because how many more game modes will they add that we'll be charged for?

You can only support the longevity of a game so far before you come to realise that the game with all it's DLC now costs over £100, is that the direction they're taking? I don't know but I still don't like the fact that DLC has been released one week later and that DLC is game modes, charging people for playing a game mode that they might enjoy? That I don't agree with and if anymore of that type of DLC is released I won't support that.

I haven't bought the aircraft DLC yet because I'm waiting for the devs to appear, I want to know this game isn't just seen as a cash cow with multiple DLC's released over the coming weeks/months.

Rockfireex
11-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Yes, that's the way the market is heading like it or not. Sad times, but the days of expansions are gone. Blame consoles for that..

Anyway.. the game came out around september 7th for consoles.. so to release DLC this early for pc isn't that odd.. admittedly its a little greedy not to include it with the package but they need to maximise there profits since indie dev's don't have anybody backing them up plus when they release to pc they know it might get pirated to hell..

Also.. "$100" isn't that exaggerating it a little? Not like this game is train simulator 2012.. honestly don't expect there to be much more dlc for the game. perhaps a map pack and new jets.. but thats about it.

Tapewormz
11-30-2011, 01:02 PM
And there's always pathetic newbies who defend the indefensible.

...and then there's 12 year olds that just senselessly troll forums.

Tapewormz
11-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Normally you might have reason to complain at DLC being release this soon after the game came out. But given that I was complaining at them a month for releasing a second DLC before the Steam version had come out, I think I'll let is slid that they got there EXISTING DLC out on steam promptly.

Besides, in my opinion the game is worth more then its £7 price tag.

As for the game being dead, that's not the developers fault, if anything it's the fault of gamers being unwilling to wait and giving up to quickly. It's and indie title for gods sake, they don't have one million people trying to play online at the same time, a wait should be expected, failing that find people who like the game and arrange a game.

The game needs the same kind of push that Monday Night Combat had when it came out. A free weekend, and a sale. Then there will be players.fd

I played Plane Crazy back in 99 when it came out and this game is (admittedly by the developer) a spiritual successor to that game.

To the people whining about DLC, the game is under $10 US. Honestly, I'm glad you (the whiners) won't be buying it. It'll confine your scratchy little voices to the forum.

DJ Cryotek
11-30-2011, 03:23 PM
I have spent a ton of time defending the DLC released for Sanctum and Dungeon Defenders (and bought it all). This just seems too soon, though. It should have been with the original game, even if it made the game more expensive. This feels like a trick - get people in the door with the low $10 price tag, then nail them for DLC a week later.

It just feels weird/shady to me. Why wasn't this released as one complete package to begin with? :confused:

And as Renegade said, I'm kind of waiting for the developers to show their faces here. If they can give a decent reason or apologize for the oddness, fine. But I don't think I'm going to invest in the game just yet.

Dave22
11-30-2011, 04:33 PM
This feels like a trick - get people in the door with the low $10 price tag, then nail them for DLC a week later.

To be fair, the dlc was announced on the developers website at the same time as SkyDrift was released on steam. I understand where you guys are coming from though.

And definitely +1 to the notion of the developers making an appearance here.

Tapewormz
11-30-2011, 04:34 PM
I have spent a ton of time defending the DLC released for Sanctum and Dungeon Defenders (and bought it all). This just seems too soon, though. It should have been with the original game, even if it made the game more expensive. This feels like a trick - get people in the door with the low $10 price tag, then nail them for DLC a week later.

It just feels weird/shady to me. Why wasn't this released as one complete package to begin with? :confused:

And as Renegade said, I'm kind of waiting for the developers to show their faces here. If they can give a decent reason or apologize for the oddness, fine. But I don't think I'm going to invest in the game just yet.

It might seem that way if this was a new game. I can sorta see your point there, however it's not a new game really. The game was delayed on PC but has been out on consoles for some time. I went to DR's forums to ask about the premium plane DLC to see if it causes any kind of balance issues.

Grunzer
11-30-2011, 10:39 PM
The DLC planes are just planes with one state (Speed, Armror, etc..) maxed out, like other planes in the normal game. Me and some other players discussed about the planes and most of the players went back to planes from the normal game, because we think, they have the better gaming behaviour. So the dlc is not an advantage!

inspiral66
12-01-2011, 01:51 AM
The game is cheap and represents very good value. If you don't want the DLC, then don't buy it. No one is forcing you and you won't be disadvantaged. So... *shrugs*

DR C.M.
12-01-2011, 04:40 AM
same problem here although i got the game in a contest , i activated it on 26th no dlc here

If you got the game in a contest for free, the Gladiator pack is not inclueded, that's only for the purchased versions!

DR C.M.
12-01-2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks Grunzer, and inspiral66, you're right! The plane dlc is not an advantage. If you are a hardcore plane-fan, and the 8 basic planes are not your cup of tea, and rather play more with a jet plane, or a classis tri-ving plane, than a propeller based plane, than you can choose from the DLC pack. But you won't be disadvantaged, if you don't buy it...

lgm1979
12-01-2011, 08:03 AM
The DLC planes are just planes with one state (Speed, Armror, etc..) maxed out, like other planes in the normal game. Me and some other players discussed about the planes and most of the players went back to planes from the normal game, because we think, they have the better gaming behaviour. So the dlc is not an advantage!

Good to know, thanks. I was wondering what the stats were like on those planes. I will probably still buy them anyways lol :D

Tapewormz
12-01-2011, 04:24 PM
The planes are irrelevant because they don't separate the playerbase and as far as I know they don't give advantages to those that do have them. It's the DLC that contains the multiplayer modes and maps that's the problem, why not just include it in the base game and raise the price instead of charging for it separately?

Oh and because we don't agree with paying for rip off DLC or like the fact the multiplayer portion of the game will die because of it that makes us whiners? We'll you'll be the ones whining when you can't find anyone else to play with because everybody got bored due to lack of new content.

Well I hope you're wrong. I hope that DR/Valve can arrange a free weekend and get this game on the Feature page so that the word on this game can get out. It's a good game. I was a big fan of Plane Crazy back in the day (way back...) on Heat.net.

tersagun
12-05-2011, 04:06 AM
If they haven't released the DLC's now, other half of the people would come here and moan that the console players are getting the DLC's whereas PC gamers are, again, regarded as 2. class customers.

They even gave out the big-DLC for free, if you have bought the game at launch-week.

I rather have game prices very low with additional DLC's. That way, if you don't like the game, at least you haven't lost too much money. Even the 60$ games launch paid DLC's (just check Batman for instance), so for a 10$ game, I do think it's acceptable.

Tapewormz
12-05-2011, 10:18 AM
You should check out DogFighter if you haven't already.

Way ahead of you. I've had Dog Fighter for quite some time now. :) I like SkyDrift better, but Dog Fighter is definitely fun.

2CORE_NEO
12-05-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't appreciate the new DLC methodology as a consumer. It's slightly dishonest.

inspiral66
12-09-2011, 01:41 AM
All those complaining bitterly about the quick emergence of DLC for SkyDrift should now head on over to the Batman forum... :D
http://store.steampowered.com/news/6959/

inspiral66
12-10-2011, 02:33 AM
The issues is not so much about the quick release of the DLC but more that the DLC includes maps and modes which separates the playerbase and that there was no reason to not include all of the DLC in the game at release and raise the base price of the game to say £9.99. That way the developers would still have made money from the extra content and the community wouldn't have been split because all the DLC maps and modes would have been available to everyone.

Yeah, you're right, although the thread is called "DLC already? Really?". I was only having a bit of fun with my Batman comment. :)

xboxer
12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Wait for a xmas sale and grab everything at 50% discount.

inspiral66
12-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Wait for a xmas sale and grab everything at 50% discount.

I've decided to buy my brother a copy when it goes on sale. It's the only way I'll get to race someone online and stand a chance of winning! :)