PDA

View Full Version : Determining if lag is server or player?

TehFluff
01-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Ok, so after much frustration and testing, I finally got my clans CAL server setup to practice.

So, we get 10 people playing. Periodically, my friend says "damn lag!". Keep in mind, 9 other people are playing fine. However, he claims he doesn't lag on other servers. His ping averages around 110.

Since then, I've had ONE other person come on the server and complain about lag. Both had the same complaint, that the game seemed to "pause" randomly. Coincidentally enough, this happened when they died for the most part. (Atleast their complaining did).

Is there a method for determing if the lag is being generated by my hardware on my server (will an old video card cause this?), the bandwidth or settings on my server, or if its just their own connections?

Thank you.

Vadakill
01-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Providing that you are running a dedicated server and not a listen server the video card has zero effect on the performance of the server, so don't worry about it.

As for lag of a player the best way to check this is to look at everyone elses pings. If everyone else's pings look fine at the same time that the one player is experiencing lag then I would say that it is limited to a single player.

If you want to see if there is a problem between your server and that particular player try running a traceroute to his IP address. If you see any large spikes in any hops between your server and the affected player there's little you or he/she can do about it.