PDA

View Full Version : Cosair H80 & Thermal Paste.

Sceptr
12-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I was pre build checking my Corsair H80 cooler today to see if it had some thermal paste pre applied & i wasn't sure from the supplied instructions in the box if it had so i touched the area with my clean little finger that i thought was the paste (which it was) & some came off on my finger. :o

I then tried to smooth out the paste so from these pics iv'e posted do you think i'll need to apply some more paste now?

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4696/img0231px.jpg

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/5361/img0232uo.jpg

I then saw on the side of the box that the H80 did come pre applied with thermal paste. :rolleyes:

rotNdude
12-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't think it will matter much. Give it a try and find out.

Sceptr
12-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't think it will matter much. Give it a try and find out.

I'd rather be sure than find out it's not ok after installation, besides i just need to get my SSD now so i won't be building for another three weeks but if you think it'll be ok then i'm happy with that bud. Thankyou.

rotNdude
12-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I'd rather be sure than find out it's not ok after installation

If it's not OK, then it is a simple matter of removing the heatsink and applying new thermal paste. Do you have any paste in your spare parts bin?

Sceptr
12-03-2011, 11:24 AM
If it's not OK, then it is a simple matter of removing the heatsink and applying new thermal paste. Do you have any paste in your spare parts bin?

No... tons of leads & even an i-cute PSU that i never used but no paste, ever heard of this paste? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-MX-4-Thermal-paste/dp/B0045JCFLY/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1322936191&sr=1-3

I thought i could add a small amount to the existing paste on the cooler.

I have an Antek 900 case so i may have to remove the motherboard to get to the back of the cooler if needed after iv'e installed everything that is.

rotNdude
12-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Don't mix the pastes. It is always best to stick with the same compound.

You shouldn't have to remove the motherboard to remove the heatsink. That would be a terrible design.

Sceptr
12-03-2011, 11:58 AM
You shouldn't have to remove the motherboard to remove the heatsink. That would be a terrible design.

It is, this is someone else'e 900 version but it shows that you can't get to the back of the heatsink without removing the motherboard. http://www.overclock.net/t/765530/antec-900

I'm sure iv'e read that thermal paste will smooth out when it's warmed up.

I'd +Rep you for your help rotNdude but i have to spread some first. :(

rotNdude
12-03-2011, 12:07 PM
There is a backplate that goes on the back side of the motherboard and the heatsink uses screw to attach to that backplate. Once the backplate is attached to the motherboard you don't have to remove the motherboard to unseat and reseat the heatsink.

I already stated my opinion that you shouldn't mix thermal pastes and you are correct that paste will spread when the heatsink is initially pressed into place. The compound will not smooth out when it's warmed up or it would ooze out all over the place under operating temperatures.

Sceptr
12-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Once the backplate is attached to the motherboard you don't have to remove the motherboard to unseat and reseat the heatsink.

I already stated my opinion that you shouldn't mix thermal pastes and you are correct that paste will spread when the heatsink is initially pressed into place. The compound will not smooth out when it's warmed up or it would ooze out all over the place under operating temperatures.

Yeah sorry i forgot to mention that i know now not to mix the pastes & i'm relieved to know about the backplate so if the paste does spread when the heatsink is pressed into place then i think it will be ok.

Thankyou very much for your help bud. :)

Bad_Motha
12-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Don't mix the pastes. It is always best to stick with the same compound.

Yes never mix pastes. If you don't like the pre-applied paste or want to remove it. Remove it with rubbing alcohol from the heatsink. Then apply your own. Long as it's better, like Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX-4

Sceptr
12-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes never mix pastes. If you don't like the pre-applied paste or want to remove it. Remove it with rubbing alcohol from the heatsink. Then apply your own. Long as it's better, like Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX-4

Thanks for that Bad_Motha, i'm going to buy this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silver-Paste-Articlean-Cleaner/dp/B003VRBPAI/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1322944204&sr=1-2 Just to be sure & apply it to the processor rather than the heatsink. :)

Now i'm able to +Rep you so thankyou bud. ;)

Bad_Motha
12-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Yes it's best to apply the paste to the CPU rather then the heatsink as it's easier to judge how much you need. Pre-applied is ok, but you notice how it's in a very thin layer and in a square, this way regardless of the Intel/AMD cpu you use, the pre-applied amount should suffice. You only need the paste to cover the CPU, not the entirety of the bottom of the heatsink.

Just be sure to thoroughly clean off the old grease before applying any new.
Even if doing this down the road when the old/new grease might be the same kind. As the old usually will have changed in it's consistency, etc.

Sceptr
12-03-2011, 03:11 PM
The processor in question by the way is an i7 2600K which arrived today so iv'e just got my ocz vertex 3 SSD to buy & i'll be good to go with my first build.

May i just say thankyou once again to anyone that's helped me so far since early September with my sometimes noob questions, it is very much appreciated & i think this is an amazing forum for PC tips & tricks. :cool:

Overclocker_
12-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Smoothing paste doesn't work because the human hand is not a precision tool.

Clean the paste off of both surfaces, apply a rice grain sized amount of paste to the CPU, and then mount the block without sliding too much or lifting the block off once it touches the paste. Since the CPU & Block are mostly flat, they will spread the paste for you. You don't need much either.