PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help please. game keeps crashing

stuwats
12-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Hi all

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but i just thought i might be able to get some assistance with the problems im having with the game.

When i had RW2 the game ran fine on my old pc with the odd game freeze/crash etc then came the upgrade to RW3 which became even worse, i was in the middle of a new build pc which is now complete, but the game still freezes after about 10-20 mins into a scenario. This only happens with RW as all my other games are fine including BF3.

I have browsed all other threads and followed other recommendations, like clear blueprint cache, delete local files, update drivers etc etc, but still same problem. I have even formatted my HDD and reinstalled windows and installed every single update but still the same problem.

If anyone can give me some advice i would be appreciated, below are my computer specs.

Thanks in advance.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
Intel i5 2500k
Gigabyte Z68-UD3P
16GB corsair vengeance quad channel
XFX Radeon HD6870 XXX
500GB Western Digital Sata II
650W Corsair PSU

elof_ffs
12-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Have a look at this thread over on UKTS, It may be helpful to you.
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=314&t=120867

And anyone with a 32 bit system.

stuwats
12-04-2011, 03:36 AM
thanks for the reply, but it seems a bit confusing for me as im a novice when it comes to messing with system files, would the game be better run on a 64bit OS, as i can easily change my OS to 64bit, as ive just done a clean install yesterday so not much loaded on to hard drive at the moment.

thanks

arizonachris
12-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Stu, I can't say for certain that RW will run better on a 64 bit system, but with a 32 bit system, that 16Gb of RAM is wasted. Windows will only "see" about 3.4Gb. So if you're up for it, then go ahead and reinstall Win 7.

Now, you say 10 to 20 minutes into any scenario? This could be related to heat if the PC is freezing up. You can use CPU Z to monitor your PC's temps.

Heavy Chevy
12-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Chris, it is interesting that you mention heat. My system has a temp read out on the front so I can keep an eye on it very easily. The one thing I have not found is info on temps. What is a good temp to run at? Obviously the cooler the better but at what point should someone worry that they may be overheating?

Always good tips bud, thanks.

Doug
www.smittyslocomotiveshed.com

arizonachris
12-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Oh, Doug, what a can of worms. Temps can vary quite a bit depending on what CPU you have, what graphics card, how much airflow thru your PC's case.

I like to keep my video card at under 70c, CPU under 60c. But that's not always possible. RW will push both those temps 20c higher. And that's my limit. I have settings in my motherboard's BIOS to set off an alarm if the temps get too high. So if I hear a "Euro siren" going off, then I know the PC's getting too hot.

I either shut it down, or stop playing games. ;)

Bottom line is good airflow thru your case. Intake fans, exhaust fans. I like negative airflow (more air out than in)

wbgron
12-04-2011, 10:00 AM
I agreee with Chris a good PC...wel all PC's should have excellenet airflow, but if your confident with replacing the heat sink's on CPU blocks then buy one of these CLICK ME (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-cooling-hydro-series-h60-high-performance-cpu-cooler-lga1156-1155-lga775-lga1366-am2-and-am3)

stuwats
12-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Many thanks, for all your replies, i have now totally wiped my win 7 32bit and installed the 64bit and game runs excellent. Have played about 6 hours today, without a single crash. I cannot understand why it would not run on 32bit. Have un-installed and wiped HDD about 3 times before using 64bit. Stange!

Definitely wasn't heat related as my cpu is at around 30c when playing the game, Using the corsair Hydro H60 water cooler and video card only gets to about 45c.

lonewolfdon
12-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I think 64-bit is the way to go nowadays, as 32-bit is gradually being "phased out". Plus, as already mentioned, with 32-bit OS, you'd be limited in how my RAM you could use (or it wouldn't use anything above either 3 or 4 GB anyways). Anyways, good to know you got it working good now. Cheers! :)